Dunabar

Strikes that could enhance WW3 - Scanner Drones

Hey Folks

Time for a new Strikes post and this time I will be going over Scanning Drones, probably the single most used strike type currently in game. This was a bit of a strange Strike category to walk into since they only have one general role and that is to detect enemies and while I did manage to find ways to do these things differently without going far outside of the scanner drone realm. It did come at the cost of nothing being overly spectacular or really having that big wow factor that we tend to find in stuff like Guns, Tanks, Artillery, and the likes. But, all the same I think these new Scanner Drones could enhance the game in a meaningful way. But, before we can talk about those, we must first see what we currently have on offer.

Current Scanner Drones we have in-Game

Red Eye aka Fly Eye

image.jpeg.117dd7e3d91c4d4ab82cbed0974640c0.jpeg

"An unmanned aircraft that scans area from above revealing enemy's position. It has a low range and short duration but it provides instant intel. It it most effective when targeted at narrow passages and tight strategic points." - WW3 Description

Real Life Stats

• Origin: Poland
  • Info: Still Seeking

In-Game Stats

• BP cost: 500
  • UAV Type: Continuous
  • Cooldown: 60 Seconds
  • Scan Range: 40 Meters
  • Radar Duration: 25 Seconds
  • Detection Duration: NA
  • Health: 50
  • Altitude: 200

Barracuda

image.thumb.jpeg.68ce6f41b38df847401e40e05d3d5a92.jpeg

"An unmanned Aircraft that scans area from above revealing enemy's position. Its decent range and duration helps plan offensive and defensive tactics" - WW3 Description

Real Life Stats

In-Game Stats

• BP cost: 1000
  • UAV Type: Pulse
  • Cooldown: 90 Seconds
  • Scan Range: 60 Meters
  • Radar Duration: 20 Seconds
  • Detection Duration: 5 Seconds
  • Health: 150
  • Altitude: 400 Meters

OTV aka X-37 OTV

image.jpeg.00fa3d8fd2b20ba13696de65693a02ce.jpeg

"An Unmanned Space Shuttle that scans a large area from orbit revealing enemy's position in a single pulse but on a whole map for a short time" - WW3 Description

Real Life Stats

In-Game Stats

• BP cost: 2000
  • UAV Type: Pulse
  • Cooldown: 120 Seconds
  • Scan Range: Whole Area
  • Radar Duration: 17 Seconds
  • Health: NA
  • Altitude: 400,000 Meters

With these in mind we can begin to fun part of the post with the actual suggestions.

Scanning Drones that could enhance WW3

#1. FFOS

image.jpeg.871addf4544837c489f83ad3d3ddaff7.jpeg

-The Fuji FFOS developed by the Japanese company, Fuji Heavy Industries, is a Unmanned Aerial Vehicle that was primarily designed to collect and process intelligence on the battlefield. But, the Fuji FFOS can also act as a relay agent, the means of early detection of the enemy while also providing a device for remote fire control and obtain objective data on the locations of battles currently taking place on the battlefield.

Real Life Stats

Proposed in-game Stats

• BP cost: 1500
  • UAV Type: Line of Sight Fire Detection & Active Laser Designation
  • Cooldown: 5 Minutes
  • Auto Line of sight Detection range: 70 meters
  • Destroyed when Killed?: Yes
  • Countered by: Reaper Drone, UCAS-D, gun fire, explosions, and etc...It's not a Combat Drone.
  • Operational Range: 300 Meters
  • Laser Designation range: 100 meters
  • Laser Designation Duration: 30 Seconds
  • Laser Designation Cooldown: 30 Seconds
  • Health: 250
  • Max Altitude: 150 Meters

-If added to the game, the FFOS can be a bridge between the Mini Drone gadget & Scanner UAVs, though mainly as a souped-up Mini Drone that is noticeably bigger while bringing more to the table than the Mini Drone does. Unlike it's smaller cousin, the FFOS should be equipped with a Laser Designator that can be activated for 20 seconds, allowing the FFOS to paint Vehicle targets for any guided weaponry or strikes. However, the laser designator can only be used for a short period of time, so the user of the FFOS needs to be communicating with their team regularly to get the most out of it. But, what can make the FFOS more of a scanner drone instead of a just a larger, slightly more fancy Mini Drone? Well, this is where I think it's second ability can help set it further apart to make it truly a scanner style Drone. Make it where the Drone automatically spots players within it's line of sight up to 70 meters while they're firing their weapons in it's general direction. The more the enemy team fires in the general direction of the FFOS, the more their positions are being pinged to the Drone's team. By doing this the FFOS Drone also differs itself from the Red Eye, Barracuda, & OTV Drones while at the same time creating a very team oriented Strike because the Drone's user needs to actually pilot the Drone around the map.

But, what if the player wanted something more like a traditional scanning Drone only with extra features and was willing to accept a little reduced scan range for those extra features?...

#2. RQ-16 T-Hawk / Talisman

image.jpeg.ac6fe6a2d48016c12c540e8e2363b4d7.jpeg

-The RQ-16 T-Hawk developed by Honeywell International inc, is a backpack portable MAV (Micro Aerial Vehicle) that can be operated by a single person. Originally designed for Surveillance of enemy movement, the T-Hawk would later be used as a lead scout for motorized convoys, and hunting for IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) by the British Military even after it's career in the United States Army came to an end. Today the T-Hawk/Talisman remains in service with the U.S Navy EOD, British Forces, and will probably be adopted by the Indian Security Forces.

Real Life Stats

Proposed in-game Stats

• BP cost: 800
  • UAV Type: Continuous
  • Cooldown: 4 minutes
  • Scan Range: 30 Meters
  • Radar Duration: 1 minute
  • Destroyed when Killed?: No, it just hovers to an anchored position till it runs the rest of it's duration.
  • Countered by: Reaper Drone, UCAS-D, gun fire, explosions, and etc...It's not a Combat Drone.
  • Health: 250
  • Altitude: 100

- If added to the game, the RQ-16 T-Hawk should serve as a mobile Scanner UAV that anchors itself to it's Striker user providing the UAV Mini map to both them and on their team within that circle of effect. However, this should come with the trade off of a smaller scan range when compared to the Red Eye, the ability to be destroyed with small arms fire, and the inability to detect targets inside buildings/bunkers unless the target is close to a window within direct line of sight of the RQ-16 T-Hawk. But, with this trade off the player will get the benefits of a Mobile UAV Scanner that follows them automatically marking Infantry, Vehicles, deployed gadgets on the ground such as Landmines, Claymores, & etc, and should come with the additional benefit of allowing the UAV to anchor itself to the Strike user even if the player jumps into a Vehicle while providing the same benefits as if the player was still running around on foot. This would make the RQ-16 T-Hawk the ideal aggressive rusher Scanner Drone unless their objective requires them to go deep within a building where the Drone cannot detect anything.

But, what if the player wanted something a bit more special? Something that could track high value targets and reward players with bonus points for destroying those targets, but at the cost of tracking nothing else?...

#3. Heron

image.thumb.jpeg.e47619db6dd620938e60251277af2695.jpeg

- The IAI Heron (Machatz-1) is a medium-altitude long-endurance UAV out of Israel that currently serves in Israel, United States, Canada, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Morocco, South Korea, and other Nations of the world. It has demonstrated 52 hours of continuous flight, though this depends on the payload of the Heron in order to maintain such a long continuous flight. However, in 2009 the Heron was upgraded to the Super Heron which provides even greater performance than the Heron itself on most fronts, though it's flight duration was degraded to 45 hours. In the 2008 - 2009 Operation Cast Lead, the IAI Heron was one of UAVs assigned to the Israeli ground forces without IAF central command authorizing sorties.

Real Life Stats

Proposed in-game Stats

• BP cost: 2500
  • UAV Type: Continuous Tracking
  • Cooldown: 6 minutes
  • Scan Range: Whole Area
  • Radar Duration: 1 minute
  • Destroyed when Killed?: No
  • Countered by: UCAS-D
  • Health: 150
  • Altitude: 250 Meters

- If added to the game, the Heron could be used as a high value target tracker scanner UAV, scanning the whole map for Squad Leaders, IFVs, AFVs, MBTs, UGVs, Helicopter Drone, and etc, revealing up to the moment positioning of the targets for the team to deal with in any fashion they deem fit. However, this comes with the drawback in that it doesn't track regular Infantry, Light Vehicles like Quads & Buggies, and cannot spot their targets when they duck into heavy cover like buildings & bunkers. Now at first this probably sounds kind of useless since it doesn't locate all targets. But, what it does is turn it into a Bounty Hunter type scanning Drone, giving players a clear heads up of "Hey! This target is important and it needs to be destroyed", and to further entice the Strike user's team to actually single out these targets for destruction, the Heron could also add a passive bonus BP generation for killing the targets so long as it's actively tracking them around the map.

But, this brings this post to an end. This was a little bit of a challenge to figure out since I didn't want to suggest Drones that just merely do things bigger or better, but rather performed differently in a way that avoided stepping on the metaphorical toes of the current Scanner Drones, and could be an actual meaningful addition to the game. I did have another Scan Drone in mind, but at the moment I cannot figure out a way it could be added without just doing the same stuff as the current list. Maybe something will come to mind, but for now I think these three are enough for the time being. No honorable mentions list again, not because of a lack of Drone options, but rather a lack of ways to make them really different from the suggested & current ones. So, if anyone has any suggestions, post them, and I will happily add them to the list with obvious proper credit given.

I was going to do Jammer drones next. But, I'm a uncertain at this time how to approach them and how they can be really made different from what we currently have. So I'm instead going to cover another new Strike Category I'm dubbing Support till a better name comes to mind and like all suggestion posts like this one, here is your hint for the next post. Also if you would like to read my older suggestion posts, links will be provided at the very bottom of the page.

image.jpeg.97fadde9df5c75af37f274cd0eef7640.jpeg

Have a good one folks!

PS: Like always; I just make the suggestions, what the Devs do with them is entirely up to them.

Links to my other Individual Suggestion Posts & Suggestion Series posts

Guns that could enhance WW3 series

Strikes that could enhance WW3 series

Individual or Mini Series Suggestions post

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NeoOrNeon said:

What are support strikes? You mean stuff like UGVs?

For right now, purely a open ended name purposely chosen till something better possibly comes to mind. It can be on-map stuff like UGVs (Hence the picture), but it can also be off-map stuff like Artillery. But, it's all designed around the concept of supporting ones own team, influencing the battlefield, and doing so without generally seeking to directly kill the enemy team unless certain events line up to make it possible.

Edited by Dunabar

22 minutes ago, NeoOrNeon said:

What about resupply care packages? They could be dropped like the UGVs.

That is one way of doing it, another way (again pointing to the picture) is to do what the MULE was originally designed to do which is just simply carry the stuff for the soldiers, then whenever they needed something that was in the packs, they could just run back/over to the MULE to gather the stuff from it. Multiple ways to approach it overall though.

First we get a mobile respawn and then a mobile resupply point. I like it!

31 minutes ago, NeoOrNeon said:

First we get a mobile respawn and then a mobile resupply point. I like it!

Well, that is up to the Developers lol.

It would be good for the game if they reduced or removed the supply caches at CPs in favor of strike and team resupplies. It's pointless to even drop ammo from my heli drone anymore. Nobody cares since there is so much.

2 minutes ago, NeoOrNeon said:

It would be good for the game if they reduced or removed the supply caches at CPs in favor of strike and team resupplies. It's pointless to even drop ammo from my heli drone anymore. Nobody cares since there is so much.

That is part of the reason I'm going to be bringing up the MULE. I don't mind the supply caches in their general concept, I just don't like how they're currently implemented.

There should only be three separate supplies, one of each type. They could be placed in the areas of each map that get really intense. Like B2 on Berlin for example.