Sign in to follow this  
Atway

[Map] multi-story maps

Question

Well, its not a suggestion of certain map, but a map design for future maps (at least for one). Currently we have lets say 1.5-story maps (one-story areas with few 2-3-story buildings) - i`d call them flat.

We dont have 2nd floors on Berlin, We have only B2 on Moscow, Mall-area only on Warsaw, just few buildings on Smolensk and Polarny.

I suggest to make next maps multi-story to improve gameplay where you have to check not only X-Y axis, but Z as well. Like airports, factories, middle-east or asian towns with alot of passes, corridors, buildings available to get in and so on. I do realize that it is not comfortable for vehicles maybe, but really fun to play for infantry - not every place is available for vehicles in real war

Ð�оÑ�ожее изобÑ�ажение  ÐаÑÑинки по запÑоÑÑ airport terminal

�а��инки по зап�о�� factory inside�а��инки по зап�о�� factory inside

�о�ожее изоб�ажение�а��инки по зап�о�� asian streets

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Rozmo said:

are you suggesting that designers should design maps with certain levels?

a kind of. But not CPs only - whole map if possible.

Just a rough example for Warsaw

image.png.a2726615917b1487501f984e9d58b460.png

It will give more ways to play the map. Because for now for example in most cases ways to the mall area are A2-B1, A1-B1, C2-Mall. Same for roads - place few mines on A2 road, C2 and A1 and you`re perfect - you`ve just mined the whole map :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Atway said:

(one-story areas with few 2-3-story buildings)

not even any 3 story ones I'd say, yes some have basements which you could count as a third. But those are their own secluded areas and thus "flat"/single story areas.

I do realize that it is not comfortable for vehicles maybe, but really fun to play for infantry - not every place is available for vehicles in real war

This could hurt your loadouts, especially with map rotation. To counter this I would make a playlist of some sort: one with maps mainly for infantry, one with maps that have easy vehicle access (currently none really do imo, too many obstacles and terrain) and one with all maps.

Spoiler

X-Y axis, but Z as well

X-Z axis, but Y as well*
Y axis is vertical, X horizontal and Z crosses both axises 90 degrees

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Matt_dOvale said:

X-Z axis, but Y as well*
Y axis is vertical, X horizontal and Z crosses both axises 90 degrees

ÐаÑÑинки по запÑоÑÑ xyz axis

In mathematics, physics, and engineering contexts, the first two axes are often defined or depicted as horizontal, with the third axis pointing up. In that case the third coordinate may be called height or altitude. 

Edited by Atway

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Matt_dOvale said:

not even any 3 story ones I'd say, yes some have basements which you could count as a third. But those are their own secluded areas and thus "flat"/single story areas.

I meant buildings like A1 or C2 on Smolensk - 2-story+roof or "circle" in Warsaw mall. But yeah, all maps are really flat.

9 hours ago, Matt_dOvale said:

This could hurt your loadouts, especially with map rotation. To counter this I would make a playlist of some sort: one with maps mainly for infantry, one with maps that have easy vehicle access (currently none really do imo, too many obstacles and terrain) and one with all maps.

Its not about loadouts as long as you can have up to 8 loadouts. But about players who like to play vehicles only.

Edited by Atway

3 hours ago, Atway said:

In mathematics, physics, and engineering contexts, the first two axes are often defined or depicted as horizontal, with the third axis pointing up. In that case the third coordinate may be called height or altitude

minecraft lied to me 😭😭😭

1 minute ago, Matt_dOvale said:

minecraft

image.png.1e7da9c9036131fa1fde16c3483f0235.png

I don't like the concept of too much veritcal play as it makes it unpredictable and chaotic. Some verticality is fine but too much is just a clusterfuck.

In other egoshooters like cs, battlefield, rainbow6 or cod people tend to gravitate towards more linear maps because you can predict enemy movement, understand the flow of the map and make actually some kind of tactical decision. I know ww3 isn't any of these games but I take them as example.

If you have a open shoppingcenter with 7 different floors it can get really frustrating if you get shot from 1000 different angles you can never cover or predict.

Don't get me wrong I like different floors as they give flanking opportunities and even some (not too much) vertical play.

The devs already had a brilliant idea in this regards which is present on polynary.

The basements which you can run through.

They are amazing for couple of reasons:

They allow different flanking routes without incentivizing anyone to stay inside the building.

If you make the same flanking routes on the 1. floor you get people to stay inside as hight advantage gives better visibility and possibilities to kill people (in short you got camping snipers in every goddamn building). But's in the basement with some posibility to engage enemies through the tiny windows but it's not a good fighting position. So people use it as it is intented: as flanking/moving lanes.

Imagine A1 polynary but every building with basement has a accesible 1.floor with windows. You could not move anywhere without getting shot from somewhere.

Getting back to your idea. Chaotic gameplay might be sometimes fun but it is mostly really frustrating and random.

Warsaw interior or Moscow large C2 (rip :() are just on the edge. Enough verticality to make it fun but too few to make it too random.

Maps with multi-story buildings... With no  destructability there will be no place for airstrikes, no place for armored vehicles, no place for unmanned drones. Only UAVs , quadrocopters and infantry. I see what was ur devious plan.😒

36 minutes ago, tynblpb said:

Maps with multi-story buildings... With no  destructability there will be no place for airstrikes, no place for armored vehicles, no place for unmanned drones. Only UAVs , quadrocopters and infantry. I see what was ur devious plan.😒

It can be destroyed airport (or airbase) with a lot of open spaces for vehicles, drones and even airstrikes. Same for factory

Ð�аÑ�Ñ�инки по запÑ�оÑ�Ñ� factory Ð�оÑ�ожее изобÑ�ажение

Map designers can block some zones to create the map "corridors" and "destroy" some walls to make it playable for vehicles. Even now you can park MRAP in Warsaw mall ;)

1 hour ago, Fullback said:

If you have a open shoppingcenter with 7 different floors it can get really frustrating if you get shot from 1000 different angles you can never cover or predict.

I didnt mean something like that, but like examples you`ve mentioned (cs, r6) with flank routes. 

For example A2 Berlin: you can get to A2 from B2, A1 and north and east roads - all these routes are "flat". But what if add library as it is on the Berlin TDM map with few more corridors, which can lead you to A1, maybe B2 area somewhere. 

All i want is to play in all dimensions, but not flat maps like "few buildings among the field"

• Like 1

I see, are you suggesting that designers should design maps with certain levels? I mean they already to that like buildings on Berlin, But would be good if some capture points were in the buildings such as you pointed out at the B2 in Moscow Warzone. Good idea.

Good news is that old maps such as Berlin, Warsaw will be reworked (I mean that what I heard), so I hope we can see some changes on the map. I would like to see map layout change now and then

I think Berlin could especially profit from some changes. The passage between A2 and B2 can quickly become a meat grinder. So the possibility to enter the library as in TDM and have ways to avoid the small gap could be nice. As you are mentioning map layouts I still think that Berlin would profit from turning the spawns by 90°. It would lead to the impression that one team is attacking the Brandenburg Gate and especially the Bundestag behind it while the other is trying to defend it. For me that would be epic. ^^

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 11:24 AM, Rozmo said:

Good news is that old maps such as Berlin, Warsaw will be reworked (I mean that what I heard), so I hope we can see some changes on the map. I would like to see map layout change now and then

Please have some more room for tanks and IFVs to maneuver. Right now they can only move through certain points, kind of like choke points, People just throw 3 anti tank mines on those areas and get an easy kill 10 minutes later. 

Edited by Matt_dOvale