Dunabar

[Weapon] Weapons that could enhance WW3 - Assault Rifles | Zastava M17

Posted (edited)

Hey Folks

The whole 2 votes before the poll closed do to derpage on my part wanted me to cover an Assault Rifle next and like I said I would; I brought a brand new gun that was not on my original "6 Guns that could enhance WW3 - Assault Rifles" Post. Today we will be looking at Serbia's new Zastava M17 or MAR (Modular Automatic Rifle) that is likely to replace the age old Zastava M70. However, just like I stated in my original assault rifles post, we're really stretching the differences at this point because (much like Battle Rifles) Assault Rifles are not really doing too many different things from other Assault Rifles that can be translated over into a video game (at least not this one anyways.)

A new Poll will be up and if nothing goes wrong this time it should last 1 week for the vote. Light Machine Guns & Assault Rifles won't be on the list this time since I covered LMGs with the LWMMG and this post is covering an Assault Rifle.

Contents of this post

• Section 1 - The Zastava M17 - Real life information behind the Zastava M17
  • Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons - Comparing stats between current in-game ARs and suggested ARs with the Zastava M17.
  • Section 3 - Special Features - Special features I think the Zastava M17 should have
  • Section 4 - Customization - Customization options I think the Zastava M17 should have

----

Section 1 - The Zastava M17

image.thumb.png.5b4f7fea3d9e4c50f2ccaa945e34dd87.png

image.jpeg.5282ba59d523c92314e47e2ab75b792e.jpegimage.jpeg.9a7f7e793c580ac663c2467f8af901a0.jpegimage.jpeg.fc488766c39693124d217e4fb3ebbd29.jpeg

Introduction & Demonstration Videos of the Zastava M17.

Extra Information sources

The Zastava M17 or Zastava Modular Automatic Rifle, was first introduced (assuming) in the year 2017 and is a heavily modified Zastava M70 that is able to chamber 7.62x39 & 6.5x39 Grendel ammunition. Likely to be the first adopted 6.5 Caliber Military Rifle in the world, the M17 is currently undergoing testing with the Serbian Armed Forces to replace the aging M70 Assault Rifle with a new modern rifle. Though the weapon is heavily modified, the information behind just how modified internally is a bit hard to come by. But, the ability to fire a 6.5x39 round instead of the larger 7.62x39 "merely" requires a change of the gun's barrel, at least that is what Zastava is claiming. While the Serbian armed forces seem to be primarily seeking to adopt the M17 for the larger 7.62 caliber ammunition in a more modern packaged rifle, the 6.5 is still being adopted in smaller quantities while testing continues.

So, if the gun was to be added to the game, what playstyle would the gun favor and most importantly where exactly would it stand when compared to generally similar Assault Rifles?

----

Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons

In terms of playstyle, the Zastava M17 would generally be like any other Assault Rifle in that it's Offensive & Defensive usage would all depend on how the player designs their loadout. However, because the weapon can fire the 6.5x39 Grendel round, I would say the weapon favors the more Offensive/Rush the enemy minded players that want a larger caliber than 5.56, but don't want the heavier recoil of the larger 7.62 caliber weapons that usually have rather slow rates of fire when compared to their lighter caliber counterparts.

Much like the LWMMG post I have no other suggested weapons to compare stats with just yet, so I'm only going to have the current guns to propose/compare with it. I will of course use the same color coding system like I did last time as well.

• Green - The gun is better compared to this weapon's stats on the list.
  • Yellow - The gun is equal or competitive compared to this weapon's stats on the list.
  • Red - The gun is worse compared to this weapon's stats on the list.

Please note: Again, I cannot test these stats to confirm balance, so think of these as more of a proposed starting place for testing on the PTE. Also I'm comparing the stats of weapons from a stock design to another stock design without taking customization into consideration. This is primarily because it would take a long time to do and obviously the post would grow substantially larger if I did.

Zastava M17 proposed and compared stats.

• Zastava M17 Effective ranges: 0 - 100m (32 damage.) Damage decreases at 101m - 135m (29 damage)
    • M4 MWS: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
    • AK-15: 0 - 105m (34 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (31 damage)
    • VEPR: 0 - 105m (32 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (29 damage)
    • MSBS-B: 0 - 30m (36 damage.) Damage decreases at 31m - 135m (24 damage)
    • MSBS-K: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
    • M416: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
    • G36: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
    • Beryl 762: 0 - 105m (34 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (31 damage)
    • Alpha: 0 - 105m (34 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (31 damage)
    • SA80: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
  • Zastava M17 Weight: 15.9
    • M4 MWS: 14.0
    • AK-15: 16.5
    • VEPR: 10.7
    • MSBS-B: 11.5
    • MSBS-K: 13.5
    • M416: 16.3
    • G36: 12.7
    • Beryl 762: 15.7
    • Alpha: 13.0
    • SA80: 15.5
  • Zastava M17 Recoil: 0.68
    • M4 MWS: 0.6
    • AK-15: 0.74
    • VEPR: 0.71
    • MSBS-B: 0.74
    • MSBS-K: 0.71
    • M416: 0.83
    • G36: 0.74
    • Beryl 762: 0.83
    • Alpha: 0.72
    • SA80: 0.81
  • Zastava M17 Spread: 0.25
    • M4 MWS: 0.3
    • AK-15: 0.26
    • VEPR: 0.28
    • MSBS-B: 0.22
    • MSBS-K: 0.25
    • M416: 0.2
    • G36: 0.28
    • Beryl 762: 0.3
    • Alpha: 0.3
    • SA80: 0.27
  • Zastava M17 Reload time: 3.0 Seconds
    • M4 MWS: 1.0 Seconds
    • AK-15: 3.1 Seconds
    • VEPR: 4.2 Seconds
    • MSBS-B: 2.7 Seconds
    • MSBS-K: 3.2 Seconds
    • M416: 4.0 Seconds
    • G36: 3.1 Seconds
    • Beryl 762: 3.1 Seconds
    • Alpha: 2.85 Seconds
    • SA80: 3.1 Seconds
  • Zastava M17 Rate of Fire: 660 RPMs
    • M4 MWS: 740 RPMs
    • AK-15: 620 RPMs
    • VEPR: 670 RPMs
    • MSBS-B: 621RPMs
    • MSBS-K: 721RPMs
    • M416: 660 RPMs
    • G36: 750 RPMs
    • Beryl 762: 600 RPMs
    • Alpha: 570 RPMs
    • SA80: 940 RPMs
  • Zastava M17 Caliber: 6,5x39 Grendel
    • M4 MWS: 5,56x45
    • AK-15: 7,62x39
    • VEPR: 5,45x39
    • MSBS-B: .300 Blackout
    • MSBS-K: 5,56x45
    • M416: 5,56x45
    • G36: 5,56x45
    • Beryl 762: 7,62x39mm
    • Alpha: 7,62x39mm
    • SA80: 5,56x45
  • Zastava M17 Muzzle Velocity: 800 m/s
    • M4 MWS: 910 m/s
    • AK-15: 720 m/s
    • VEPR: 880 m/s
    • MSBS-B: 675 m/s
    • MSBS-K: 890 m/s
    • M416: 917 m/s
    • G36: 920 m/s
    • Beryl 762: 940 m/s
    • Alpha: 740 m/s
    • SA80: 780 m/s
  • Zastava M17 Bullets to Kill: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • M4 MWS: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • AK-15: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • VEPR: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 7 / STL: 8
    • MSBS-B: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 6 / STL: 8
    • MSBS-K: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • M416: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • G36: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • Beryl 762: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • Alpha: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • SA80: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7

With this out of the way we move on to special features.

----

Section 3 - Special Features

This will be short since there isn't much that really needs to be mentioned.

• 6.5x39 Grendel Intermediate Caliber- Because of the current TTK, there isn't much room for really differing guns at the moment. But for those wondering where exactly the 6.5x39 Grendel generally falls as a caliber, its in-between that of the 7,62x39 of the AK-15 AND 5,45X39 of the VEPR.
  • Select Fire options - Single, 3-Round Burst, and Full Auto like all current Assault Rifles.
  • Unique 25 round Magazine - I'm unable to recall where I got this information from. But, apparently a 25 round Magazine was created for the Zastava M17 and I think it would make a cool alternative magazine for those who want something faster to reload than the 30 round Magazine, but with more ammo than the 20 round magazine. This would also help the Zastava M17 stand out just a little more from it's counterparts if it was added to the game.
  • Changeable Caliber based on Barrel - If we end up being able to change gun calibers in the future, this would definitely be one of those guns that are able to fire multiple calibers. Otherwise this can be ignored entirely and the Zastava M17 should stick to the 6.5x39 Grendel Caliber as it's dedicated ammunition type.
  • No 75 round Drum - Suggested by @nubbits: I think maybe have no drum for this weapon, as far as I can tell there are no drum magazines for it, and considering the Serbian military is the only client thus far it is unlikely one will be made.
    • After giving this some thought, I actually agree with Nubbits. While one could debate that it could be possible for the Serbian Military to acquire Drum mags for the Zastava M17's 6.5 caliber ammunition. This can also be seen as a way to differ the weapon from the other current Assault Rifles on the list and as a trade off for having it's own unique magazine.

----

Section 4 - Customization

Now this part will be rather quick since I don't plan to go over stats or anything. Just a quick mention of what the ZM-17 should & should not have access to (in my opinion) when it comes to customization options.

• Primary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Secondary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Barrels
    • All Barrels optional
  • Muzzles
    • All Muzzles optional
  • Lower
    • All Lowers optional
  • Side
    • All side mounts optional
  • Magazines
    • 10 Round Magazines
    • 20 Round Magazines
    • 25 Round Magazines
    • 30 Round Magazines
  • Ammunition
    • All (Gun) Ammunition Types optional

New Bodyparts that could come with Zastava M17 (Will add more to this list as I can. Mostly trying to avoid finding duplicate parts.)

Outside of those I think the Zastava M17 should have access to a mixture of AK and AR style bodyparts since the gun looks like it uses a mixture of Western & Eastern designs. I was having a hard time finding the more unique parts in the pictures near the top of the post along with the ones in the videos that I thought could make for some nice standard parts. But, the Developers are a creative bunch, so I'm sure they wouldn't mind creating some stock MAR or ZM17 Parts for customization.

And with that we bring this post to an end. I'm sure the MAR, Zastava M17, or whatever you want to call it (personally I lean more towards ZM17) might be a little bit of a let down for some folks. I know a Unique Magazine and firing a larger intermediate caliber isn't exactly everyone's idea of new, awesome Assault Rifle to play with. But, I did say I would bring new guns to suggest and the Zastava M17 is proof that I'm going to do my best to keep my word on that promise. Assault Rifles are a very populated list however, so I personally wouldn't mind holding off on new Assault Rifles till the other categories get populated. But, I'm also not in charge/tasked with making weapons for WW3, so I will leave that to the Developers if they ever see this post.

Hope you at the very least like the idea of seeing the Zastava M17 in game (even if maybe in a different form than what I suggested.) If you did indeed, hit that up vote so we can further encourage the developers to add more toys for us to play with in WW3.

----

Strikes that could enhance WW3 Series

• Support Strikes Chapter
  • Scanner Strikes Chapter
    • Mission Master UGV-S to come...
  • UGV Strikes Chapter
    • Mission Master UGV-P to come...

Weapons that could enhance WW3 Series

• Assault Rifles Chapter
    • (More to come)
  • Precision Sniper Rifles Chapter
  • Special Weapons Chapter
  • Submachine Guns Chapter
  • Battle Rifles Chapter
  • Shotguns Chapter
  • Light Machine Guns Chapter
  • Pistols Chapter

----

Outdated Suggestion Posts to be revisited at some point

Guns that could enhance WW3 series

(Old) Strikes that could enhance WW3 series

Individual or Mini Series Suggestions post

Edited by Dunabar
Updated post links
  • Like 2

A.W.E.S.O.M.E. topic :P

I'll let the design team know about this ?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ragir said:

A.W.E.S.O.M.E. topic :P

I'll let the design team know about this ?

I can just hear their collective sigh from here in the States lol. But, I will give them a small break from my nonsense soon. I got one that I think is right up your alleyway, Ragir. But, sooooon~

• Like 1

I think maybe have no drum for this weapon, as far as I can tell there are no drum magazines for it, and considering the Serbian military is the only client thus far it is unlikely one will be made.

I like the idea of changing calibers, and I agree that it should be done by changing the barrel.

Overall the weapon on paper looks like a good mid range choice, so the thing I'm most excited about is the new caliber. Having a mix of western and eastern parts

To be honest, though, I would prefer to see another 5.45 gun like AN, AEK or AKS74U before something more exotic like the 6.5.

P.S. Your suggestions are always fantastic, although I may criticise some choices I haven't seen a single one of your suggestions that I don't want to see

• Like 1

Pardon the slow reply, been rather busy.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:42 PM, nubbits said:

I think maybe have no drum for this weapon, as far as I can tell there are no drum magazines for it, and considering the Serbian military is the only client thus far it is unlikely one will be made.

Fair point. I shall edit the post and remove the 75 round drum. It would also help differ the gun from the others even more as well which is always a bonus in my book.

I like the idea of changing calibers, and I agree that it should be done by changing the barrel.

Yeah I really like the concept of being able to change calibers. But, I can understand the development headache that would be involved in that. If the Devs think it's easier to stick with the current path, no arguments from me. If they wish to try to make multi-caliber weapons in the future a thing, no arguments from me still lol.

Overall the weapon on paper looks like a good mid range choice, so the thing I'm most excited about is the new caliber. Having a mix of western and eastern parts

To be honest, though, I would prefer to see another 5.45 gun like AN, AEK or AKS74U before something more exotic like the 6.5.

I have a feeling and only a feeling at that. The AN or AEK have the best chances of being added into the game with the AEK as the A545 having the highest chance of the two in my opinion. But, I could be wrong and the Devs could go with something different. But, I'm not in their heads or planning room, so I cannot say for sure lol. But, we do know that some of the guns I suggested in my old series of suggestion posts, will be added to the game at some point (which I should make a for fun voting post over that at some point.) So you never know, might be an AN-94 coming down the road.

P.S. Your suggestions are always fantastic, although I may criticise some choices I haven't seen a single one of your suggestions that I don't want to see

Well I'm perfectly able to drop a dud or five at times, I'm not some super suggester. But, I thank you for the kind words and I always welcome criticism so long as it's constructive. ?

• Like 1