tynblpb

Jumping FPS when ADS with medium-high magnification scopes.

Why when u ADS on old maps ur FPS are increasing. For example Moscow. On all old maps the situation is the same.

20190915011125_1.jpg.e59443008474a295f55c1a8b4cceffe4.jpg20190915011128_1.jpg.fdd137b371e38e3215c0062e57c3c07c.jpg

But when we do the same thing on new maps it's the opposite. FPS are dropping and usually they're x2 times lower.

20190914213249_1.jpg.f603c4b74e9b84024f03673aa85ed562.jpg20190914213251_1.jpg.ece5c3070e18d60537bc40a4a76202e1.jpg

Can someone explain me why is this happening? And is there fix to this or I should ask devs to pay attention to it?

• Like 1

Logic dictates that the less is on screen, the higher the FPS.

Put this in Bug Reports and the devs will look into it

Was running few hours  while changing Field of View.

Well, what can I say... Now I think I know why FPS is jumping.

If we talk about old maps everything works just fine. The lower is ur FOV - the higher are FPS. Funny thing, x4 FOV is same for all FOV resolutions. So, the highest effect is when FOV is 120, and when FOV is 60, ur x4 has almost no-magnification.

berlinfov.thumb.gif.67c1d70657920f4d7b157267a2761b71.gif

And here appears the problem. 60 degrees FOV is almost the same as the ~x2 magnification scope. And on new maps everything is broken.

Well, Polyarny was somehow optimized for Free Weekend, and there is fun thing. Ur FPS are the highest when ur FOV is 90 degrees, a little less when 120 degrees and a huge drop when 60 degrees FOV. As when u are ADS with mid-high magnification scopes picture ur PC is drawing has increased resolution and detalization but u only see small part of it, and that's why ur FPS when ADS are dropping. This idea is justified by that fact that if u change ur ingame resolution, on maps ur FPS doesn't change at all, while in-menu does. Unfortunately.

polyarnyFOV.thumb.gif.0a5ce7626fcf677f144406618949998d.gif

And finally the most unoptimized map - Smolensk. It seems that default FOV for Smolensk is 120 degrees. And this FOV has the highest FPS. For me it's 60FPS when 120 FOV, 48FPS when 90 FOV, and 24FPS when 60 FOV. So, it seems that game rly is increasing the detalization while showing u the small part of the resulting picture. And that's why ur FPS drop heavily when ADS with scopes.

smolenskFOV.thumb.gif.f772d191206662901ecec8fd7af0a645.gif

So if u want highest FPS on old maps u need to run with 60 FOV, on Polyarny with 90 FOV and on Smolensk with 120 FOV. And no magnification scopes on new maps.

Devs, are there any plans with changing the game behavior on that matter?

Edited by tynblpb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

@Rozmo, this is the theme I was talking about. And just to be sure it wil be seen, @Ragir, @Borreh.

10-25% increase of FPS on Smolensk is IMO good enough to be done sooner than later.

Edited by tynblpb
  • Like 1

I'm going to send this out to the level team, it seems that UE4's LOD system is broken if this happens. In theory it should take size on screen of an object and load the quality required, it might be messed up with the fov, we'll take care of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 час назад, NeoOrNeon сказал:

While we're on the topic of ADS, would picture in picture ADS be possible at some point after optimization? @Ragir

U mean zoomed pic in the scope and no-zoom for background?

• Like 1

Yes, I prefer it that way because it looks nice. I also wish optics that didn't have magnification like a holo didn't zoom, medium zoom scopes are kinda useless as is.

3 hours ago, NeoOrNeon said:

would picture in picture ADS be possible at some point after optimization?

Would definitely be an amazing feature, but unfortunately does take up more GPU power. (I know, after optimization) If done right, the scope itself blocking enough to get more frames and the picture taking only the added frames, it could even not have that much impact on performance

Another problem games have is that the zoomed in picture looks ugly because stuff doesn't render in because of the distance between the player and the object. Idk if this is inevitable or due to lazy developers, though.

Edited by Matt_dOvale

6 minutes ago, Matt_dOvale said:

Would definitely be an amazing feature, but unfortunately does take up more GPU power. (I know, after optimization) If done right, the scope itself blocking enough to get more frames and the picture taking only the added frames, it could even not have that much impact on performance

Another problem games have is that the zoomed in picture looks ugly because stuff doesn't render in because of the distance between the player and the object. Idk if this is inevitable or due to lazy developers, though.

Picture in picture should be off by default. If you keep view distance high it should be fine, textures zoomed in on can look bad regardless of pip.

6 hours ago, NeoOrNeon said:

While we're on the topic of ADS, would picture in picture ADS be possible at some point after optimization?

We've tested it very early into development and it's a big hassle in UE4 and it will drop FPS a lot. It's possible that once we get the game running good enough we could go with something like Insurgency did - having both and disabling them for better fps on low end machines. For now this is a very cool thing that will have to wait while we're focusing on the biggest problems :)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ragir said:

We've tested it very early into development and it's a big hassle in UE4 and it will drop FPS a lot. It's possible that once we get the game running good enough we could go with something like Insurgency did - having both and disabling them for better fps on low end machines. For now this is a very cool thing that will have to wait while we're focusing on the biggest problems :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I expected a wait and I know its GPU demanding. Just a preference I have really.