Sign in to follow this  
Nicodemis

[Gameplay] Battle Royale Mode

Question

Hello community,

It's been months since I posted last, but thought I would see what the community's appetite was for a true BR mode.  I started playing WW3 as soon as it was humanly possible, and was really excited leading up to early access, especially when Battle Royale was being teased on the road map.  I was even fortunate enough to get into the Recon testing, which brings me to my main point.

As we all know, Battle Royale has taken the FPS world by storm.  For me, it is the most enjoyable FPS experience to date, as it blends moments of intense action with smart, tactical play, and sometimes just plain random luck to be on your side.  Playing WW3 gave me a lot of hope for BR - the game is gorgeous, the devs are amazing to the community, and the gameplay is very clean.  That being said, i was very disappointed in the launch of Recon, because it merely felt like another multiplayer FPS squad-based mode, and not an entirely different FPS experience.

I respect the fact that Farm 51 wants to put a unique spin on the BR genre, but considering BR is still fairly new compared to the greater FPS lifetime, I don't think anyone needs to reinvent the wheel in order to stand out.  With around 1k hours on BR (PUBG, Apex, Fortnite, BO4 Blackout, BF5 Firestorm, IoN, RoE, and whatever the hell Counter Strike tried to make) it's my firm opinion that there is a HUGE market for a tactical and clean Battle Royale game.  Fortnite is firmly entrenched with the kiddy/gimmicky BR, which is fine, but completely different than the others.  PUBG is king in the tactical BR, but considering their spaghetti code is buggy as hell and their developers don't listen to their community (see: red zone, lowering gun spawns, removing guaranteed vehicle spawns, removing map select, etc) they won't see any big gains until they rip and replace the entire thing (which they said they're not doing).  There were very high hopes between my friends and I that Farm 51 was going to "do BR the right way" because of how great the core game is, but Recon isn't it.

What's the appetite for the community for a standard BR?  Meaning - you drop in with nothing, have to gear up, no respawn, play towards the end game of being the last one standing, no gimmicks/gadgets/weaponized vehicles, etc.  I, for one, would play this game mode exclusively if Farm 51 did it.  We need someone to finally take PUBG behind the shed and shoot it, and it's blatantly obvious that the big developers are too scared to do anything too different that their fans are used to (see: Blackout, Firestorm, CS).  What do you guys think?  Should Farm 51 do a standard BR, and would you play it?  

4 answers to this question

I would stop discussing about Recon in public forums, there is very thin line before breaching NDA (which cause permanent ban in game and visible on steam profile). In WW3 will be 5 game modes:

Warzone
Recon
Brakthrough
TDM (not sure if it counts for official game mode ?)
unknown mode yet

As developers implementing all of the 5 modes, there we can discuss additional ones and eventually discuss any improvements or sub mode for already implemented one.

From my opinion people are tired of RNG in games - that's why most of MMO's are dead, players can put 2000h in the game and still can't get what they deserve, when others after 100h get amazing luck, same in PUBG, you can get amazing set in one are, when the others can't get armed up through half of the map.

People who played Recon know this tactical-royale is unique comparing to others games and let's keep it this way, no one like to copy paste other games/ideas.

Every game mode sooner or later will be dead including BR from PUBG, as they don't care what community have to say, people will stop playing it and will move to play something different.

So let them finish Recon, we will see how people enjoy this version of BR when it went public.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Nicodemis said:

Should Farm 51 do a standard BR, and would you play it?  

only if WW3 recon will get a superior popularity. Otherwise too risky imo

Edited by Atway

I want a battlefield experience from WW3 if i want a BR i would play Pubg or Fortnite no need for a new BR game

14 hours ago, Nicodemis said:

There were very high hopes between my friends and I that Farm 51 was going to "do BR the right way" because of how great the core game is, but Recon isn't it

(Might just want to @weedtime in case we inadvertently breach NDA here)

I don't really understand what you want here. Each BR style gamemode, to be able to get any market capture, has to be unique in some way. What made Recon so great, at least before testing was stopped after 0.6, was that it reduced enough of the luck based variables present in most BRs so that when you died you knew that it was almost entirely your fault. You didn't feel cheated because a guy happened to land where the gun spawned this round, or because the map was so big that when you didn't get any vehicles you had to spend most of the game running to stay in the zone. Recon was paced properly, and dropped everyone in at what would be the end game of most BRs, where it is most exciting and tactical. There are many reasons why a regular BR won't work with WW3 as a game, but I won't go into them all in any detail because that basically guarantees a breach of NDA.

I advise that we all wait until the next round of testing starts. The game mode has changed enough throughout development so far that it's entirely possible that by now it will be completely different to what it was like before and this argument is useless. But I loved it the way it was, because the pacing was perfect, and there was never a moment where you felt sure that you would or wouldn't survive, meaning that constant focus was required as well as strong cooperation with your squad.