Dunabar

Suggestions to enhance Breakthrough - Small changes.

Hey folks

After leaving my first round feedback on Breakthrough, I decided I would start a small suggestion series regarding the new game mode, how I think it could be improved, and how I think the maps can be improved for it. That is a lot of text to type up, images I need to work on/have been working on, and I could easily fill up the Breakthrough feedback post with just a deluge of suggestions. But, eventually it would either turn into a single massive wall of text & pictures, or it would turn into discussion spam that would be all over the place, and overall hard to keep any real focus on. So, I'm going to start things off easy with small changes that I wouldn't imagine would take a lot of development time and then later on do the bigger posts that might take a considerable amount more development time to create. IE: Get the fast stuff out of the way, then get to the big stuff.

If you wish to read other Suggestion posts I have made, click the link below. Otherwise, lets get started with the small suggestions.

----

Dunabar's "Master Suggestion Post Archive"

---

Suggestion #1 - Increase player count from 20 to 30.

This is easily going to be one of the big blemishes on Breakthrough if it goes to live. We know that Players have been wanting larger game modes and Breakthrough is going to look like a massive step backwards even if it just 10 players less than Warzone.  While Breakthrough is still on the PTE, I think the player count should be boosted to 30 players in order for us to test it, and see how much of a impact having those 10 extra players has on the game. If the game ends up running bad/performing terribly, those that tested Breakthrough before it went to live can at least speak from experience when explaining to non-testers how Breakthrough benefits from having a smaller max player count for the time being. Will it be enough for everyone? More than likely no. But, it might be enough to soften the impact of some of the harsher criticisms that can be levied against the game mode for being smaller than Warzone.

---

Suggestion #2 - Increase Standard Match time to 20 - 30 Minutes.

As I stated in my original feedback post, the current matches feel too short even with the time being extended by the Attacking Team destroying the Objectives. Giving the Attackers a little more time to attack would not hurt anything in my personal opinion, so I think a standard 20 minute timer should be plenty to get a good fight in even if the Attackers get bogged down on the first Objective Area. If it's not, then I wouldn't go any higher than 25 to 30 minutes at absolute most for a standard timer.

---

Suggestion #3 - Remove Objective Spawning and replace it with a Command Vehicle & Spawn Area for Defenders.

Another possible blemish for Breakthrough is the current Objective Spawn. Now this isn't as much of a problem for Attackers as it is for Defenders. Players on Defense have a chance of being spawned right in front of Attacking enemies with little to no chance to react to the incoming enemy, sometimes even getting picked off by a waiting  Sniper that knows that the Defenders can spawn in that general location. This causes a large amount of frustration and for the average player that frustration might be too much to deal with. So, my suggestion is to purely get rid of it and replace it with the Defenders getting their own Command Vehicle as their Fast - Risky Spawn (also in turn giving them Vehicle Support equal to that of the Attackers), and adding a Spawn Area that is far enough behind the Objective Area without both being inside the Objective Area and doesn't put the freshly spawned Defenders in direct line of sight of the attackers right away.

Example: Turning the inside of the Bunker on Smolensk into a Spawn Area when the Defenders have been pushed back to the Radio Station and don't have a Command Vehicle or Squadmates in the Objective Area to spawn on. Of course the Spawn Areas should change (ideally) depending on what sector Objectives the Defenders are currently tasked with protecting, though this might be a challenge depending on the Map.

---

Suggestion #4 - Objective Marker flashes when Bomb is planted.

Simple and straight forward. When a Bomb is planted on a Objective, the Objective marker for the Defenders & Attackers should begin to steadily flash to act as another indicator that a bomb has been planted on the Objective or whatever. A little extra alert notification wouldn't hurt anything in the long run, sure it might annoy some People. But, if its the thing that made you realize that a bomb or whatever has been planted on a Objective, than the thing did it's job.

---

Suggestion #5 - Different stock Vehicles based on the Map for the Teams.

This is more of a suggestion for Immersion than anything really seriously wrong with the game mode itself. But, I would really like to see the Attackers & Defenders have Vehicles that really match their faction while also upping the firepower of their Vehicle Support based on the Map they're on. Here is what I'm getting at down below...

• Warsaw
    • Defenders - West Faction
      • VAB Command Vehicle
      • Wolverine IFV
    • Attackers - East Faction
      • Typhoon Command Vehicle
      • Bumerang IFV
  • Berlin
    • Defenders - West Faction
      • VAB Command Vehicle
      • Boxer IFV
    • Attackers - East Faction
      • Bumerang IFV
  • Smolensk
    • Defenders - East Faction
      • Bumerang IFV
    • Attackers - West Faction
      • VAB Command Vehicle
      • Boxer IFV
  • Polyarny
      • Bumerang IFV
      • VAB Command Vehicle
      • Wolverine IFV
  • Moscow
      • Bumerang IFV
      • VAB Command Vehicle
      • Boxer IFV

Overall I think this would make Breakthrough matches a little more immersive, not a lot more, but a little more at the very least. For the Attackers they will have a much more fearsome Vehicle support with a IFV over the 4x4 Commando.

---

Anyways, I cannot think of anything else off the top of my head that I think needs fixing/improving that is minor. I had another which is a brief break during gameplay for both sides to prep for the next attack wave (match timer pausing for the break of course.) But, I think the Devs might already be planning this, so I will leave it off the list for the moment unless something deems otherwise. These are just some small suggestions that I think will improve Breakthrough and not require a lot of Development time (I'm sure a Developer can come in and correct me if I'm wrong on that.) Next post will be suggestions I'm pretty confident will require a lot more Development time to do, then I will begin map layout suggestions starting with Polyarny which is nearly complete as I type this.

If anyone has any suggestions they would like to add to the list, let me know, and I will add it to the list with credit given.

Edited by Dunabar
Updating links list
  • Like 5

17 часов назад, Dunabar сказал:

But, I would really like to see the Attackers & Defenders have Vehicles that really match their faction while also upping the firepower of their Vehicle Support based on the Map they're on

IMO, bad idea. With high velocity and low trajectory drop projectiles the guy who'll take the vehicle would have the big boost in his ability to gain BPs. For example he can use smokescreen and shoot the stations through the smoke because they are highlighted and usually 1st stations stay in the open. Though he can do it even now with 12.7HMG but with 30mm cannons he would be able to do it non-stop. Or use splash to dmg stations even if he can't see them. Or help his team to plant the charge but when it's the last sec he can try to destroy station with the cannon fire and have 1000BPs for destroyed station all to himself. Though now it can do players with RPGs. And with all these bonuses provided by vehicle with good cannon only 1 guy would have the good start with possible snowballing effect for him only.

5 hours ago, tynblpb said:

IMO, bad idea. With high velocity and low trajectory drop projectiles the guy who'll take the vehicle would have the big boost in his ability to gain BPs. For example he can use smokescreen and shoot the stations through the smoke because they are highlighted and usually 1st stations stay in the open.

Only if all the People with RPGs can't hit him. Remember these are IFVs, not AFVs or Tanks. They can take more punishment than the 4x4 Commando, but not a lot more.  As for the Smokescreen, stock IFVs do not have Smokescreen, the BTR-80 does, and I'm going to edit the main post to replace the BTR-80s with the Bumerang. So, that should take care of the Smokescreen issue since again; stock IFVs do NOT have Smokescreens.

5 hours ago, tynblpb said:

Though he can do it even now with 12.7HMG but with 30mm cannons he would be able to do it non-stop. Or use splash to dmg stations even if he can't see them. Or help his team to plant the charge but when it's the last sec he can try to destroy station with the cannon fire and have 1000BPs for destroyed station all to himself. Though now it can do players with RPGs. And with all these bonuses provided by vehicle with good cannon only 1 guy would have the good start with possible snowballing effect for him only.

Again this is a IFV. It's stronger than the 4x4 Commando yes. But, it's not exactly sporting heavy armor like a AFV or MBT. So, if the Defending team just lets him sit there and plug away at the objective point without doing anything about it. Then that is a Player error, not a game design error, and even if the shooter had to rely on the splash damage of their HE rounds the round still isn't going to do full damage. If the driver can hit the objective with their LMG/HMG, then they wouldn't bother relying on splash damage since they would clearly be in a position to get direct hits. But again, this is a IFV. A little heat from RPG fire being poured on it will wipe the IFV off the field for awhile, and both teams would ideally have a IFV.

If all my suggestions go into place, this one individual getting all the BP you're concerned about is going to need 15 People to be utterly incompetent at dealing with Vehicles, and even then the IFV wouldn't be able to hit every objective point on the map.

Edited by Dunabar

I agree on everything besides the different stock vehicles. 

Also there should be some objective location changes aswell because some of these are really bad. 

A good location for example is by the crashed airplane on berlin. That's a perfect location for a objective 

We're planning on updating BRE this week, it should be a bit different, let us know what you think, your posts are always high quality ;)

5 hours ago, Ragir said:

We're planning on updating BRE this week, it should be a bit different, let us know what you think, your posts are always high quality ;)

👍 Wouldn't say high quality, but I do try a bit lol. Awesome to hear though that Breakthrough will be updated this week, I will hold off on the map rework suggestions till I see what updates are happening. 😀