Sign in to follow this  
Matt_dOvale

[Feature] Decreasing soldier friction.

Question

This one might be hard to grasp for some of you, but soldier friction to the ground plays a major role in the movement of you as a player.

Right now it feels like your soldier weights nothing, both in animation (I know it's in the work, that's not my problem here) and speed, and friction.

You see, you can't just be running around and making  J  turns every time you see someone. Especially with heavy loadouts I think they should move on longer in the "wrong" direction.

Another part where player friction comes in to play is with turning left and right when shot upon, you shouldn't be able to try and dodge bullets by running like a pinball in a pinball machine.

With decreased friction you won't be able to turn as fast when running, taking a sharp turn should also stop the sprint for a short second.

Acceleration speeds should also be adjusted based on weight, heavies shouldn't be able to start sprinting in the blink of an eye.

All of this combined (I think) will mitigate some of the problems people have laid out on the forums these last couple of days.

1. It will help sniping if you can't just turn around all of the sudden without repercussions.
  2. It will make player movement more predictable and sudden encounters more fair to the person already aiming.
  3. You can't just sprint away from danger quickly (at least it takes more effort / luck)
Edited by Matt_dOvale
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

We'll see how you feel after the new movement is in, but in general we will not mess with your mouse if we don't absolutely have to. Heavier kits already speed up slower and every kit has some acceleration time.

The other points I agree with to some degree, so we'll see how it works after the change, since it's a massive one.

18 минут назад, Matt_dOvale сказал:

You see, you can't just be running around and making  J  turns every time you see someone. Especially with heavy loadouts I think they should move on longer in the "wrong" direction.

Another part where player friction comes in to play is with turning left and right when shot upon, you shouldn't be able to try and dodge bullets by running like a pinball in a pinball machine.

With decreased friction you won't be able to turn as fast when running, taking a sharp turn should also stop the sprint for a short second

FPS was always about how fast u can turn ur camera. How fast and precise u do it. 

And what u r suggesting? And limited rotation speed like it was implemented for vehicle turrets?

If Yes, I vote No.

If u r talking about delay/inertia to players movement based on kit's weight where the players would still be moving in the same direction for some amount of milliseconds even if player is not pressing button anymore/trying to change the direction/ start moving from idling - then it can be discussed.

With 1 but, that it would be kinda hard to choose the right moment of inertia that wouldn't outrage players and force them to start bombing the forum with posts that "game is feeling like a rubber, even though I have Hi-End PC!!!".

So, what it was: limited camera rotation speed or based on kit's weight moment of inertia?

12 minutes ago, tynblpb said:

And limited rotation speed like it was implemented for vehicle turrets?

No of course not, that would be like playing on a console with low sensitivity (worst thing ever), I'm just saying you should slow down (briefly stop when heavy) when taking a sharp turn and 'slide' a little bit when spamming A and D while running or even walking.

Don't overdo it though, it will look and feel very weird.

12 minutes ago, tynblpb said:

If u r talking about delay/inertia to players movement based on kit's weight where the players would still be moving in the same direction for some amount of milliseconds even if player is not pressing button anymore/trying to change the direction/ start moving from idling - then it can be discussed.

this /\

I'm not saying it should be massive, but noticeable.

Like always with me I like the way Squad (finally) "fixed" the friction after removing it with massive outrage by the community. If you've played Squad for over ~6 months you'll know what I'm talking about in this suggestion. People were mad that you could almost literally dodge their shots by moving left and right in quick succession. 

Also it's really stupid to have perfect friction on maps like Berlin, Moscow and Smolensk, which have rain, snow and swamps & vegetation respectively.

Edited by Matt_dOvale
a word

3 минуты назад, Matt_dOvale сказал:

People were mad that you could almost literally dodge their shots by moving left and right in quick succession.

@Ragir definitely was saying something about new animation system if not fixing this, but at least making movement more smooth and predictable. Can't recall where I've seen it though.😑

So I think it's better to wait for new animation and movement system to be introduced.