Sign in to follow this  
Hoak

Marketing 101

WW3 is an outstanding game, it offers an almost perfect recipe of just about everything Gamers claim to want: responsive dev team, massive feature float with something to satisfy virtually every whim, solid game-play, great net-code, steady progress -- fill in the blank with your pet wish, it's being taken care of here better then just about anywhere by any of the 'AAA' publisher/developers.

It's sad to see threads like why did you stop playing, and the petty criticism in threads like that one as most of these really aren't the reasons more people aren't playing.  The fundamental reason people aren't playing is servers are empty,  and this isn't a consequence of sophomoric gamers needing instant gratification --  it's literally no choice of games to join & play when they have time to play...

Lack of effective marketing, and egregious marketing miss-steps by The Farm 51 have had a big effect on this. High on that list would be undervaluing the game selling it at ghetto game prices; this never works, people inherently undervalue that which is easily acquired -- and this is more true in disposable entertainment than anywhere.  As well and obviously, people can't play a game they don't even know about...

It's unfortunate that 'make a great game and the players will come' just isn't true as it once was, there's just too much crap competeing for Gamer attention, and marketing budgets that exceed the cost of game development by many times (multiples even), with massive marketing research and production budgets driving these campaigns creating a miasma of information distraction.

The Farm 51 and WW3 can't compete in such a marketing venue, and shouldn't, but that doesn't obviate the need for steady, effective Guerilla marketing paralleling development strategy, and there is a lot that can be done here that's proven to work, that isn't being pursued, that leverages and eventuates sales growth and steady increase in play-share. 

Some of the most effective Guerilla marketing in game sales that has proven effective involves Fan participation -- one of the earliest examples was mod development. In one example this spawned over a quarter of a million fan/mod sites for a game in this genre in the early 2000's that was instrumental in its success as the game had virtually no advertising...  But even a handful of Fan sites that people are intrigued by and regularly visit can be an enormous boon.

Some have commented that WW3 needs bots and coop to build play-share, that certainly wouldn't hurt, and while developing path-node or nave-mesh bots or AI can be tedious (it's not hard just time consuming) this  could be leveraged with a 'Bot/AI MDK' allowing fans of WW3 to get involved in a manner that doesn't interfere with the clear design path a game needs to be marketed and understood by a new audience.

There are an enormous number of approaches that could be taken to leverage Fan interest and effort and the Pareto Principle of 80% of the results for 20% of the cost and effort employing Guerilla marketing technique.  Listing and describing even a few could make this an even longer post -- and it's obviously easy to suggest work that requires someone else's initial initiative and effort, but it seems naive to assume things will change without a more effective approach...

Edited by Hoak

I think the team has responded to similar posts already several times. They want the game to be in a significantly better state before starting the marketing.

Besides, I wouldn't agree with your statement that players stop playing because of empy servers. In Europe at least there are and where always some servers to be found in the evening. So this did not stop dedicated players from playing the game and I think the main playerbase of the game is located in Europe atm. The game suffers from a number of problems as of now and I agree with the team that the majority of these should be solved before the marketing starts.

19 hours ago, Hoak said:

WW3 is an outstanding game, it offers an almost perfect recipe of just about everything Gamers claim to want: responsive dev team, massive feature float with something to satisfy virtually every whim, solid game-play, great net-code, steady progress -- fill in the blank with your pet wish, it's being taken care of here better then just about anywhere by any of the 'AAA' publisher/developers.

YES

It's sad to see threads like why did you stop playing, and the petty criticism in threads like that one as most of these really aren't the reasons more people aren't playing.  The fundamental reason people aren't playing is servers are empty,  and this isn't a consequence of sophomoric gamers needing instant gratification --  it's literally no choice of games to join & play when they have time to play...

I agree. The game has bugs and issue and a lot of really wacky shit going on with it. Mostly everyone I know is able to look passed that for the time being, with the hope that it'll get better. The real issue is the player base. 

Lack of effective marketing, and egregious marketing miss-steps by The Farm 51 have had a big effect on this. High on that list would be undervaluing the game selling it at ghetto game prices; this never works, people inherently undervalue that which is easily acquired -- and this is more true in disposable entertainment than anywhere.  As well and obviously, people can't play a game they don't even know about...

There has been virtually no marketing efforts on this title - for clearly stated and honestly understandable reasons.
Personally I feel that the price is way too high considering the player population. I am aware that as an NA player I can at times find full servers in my region, but a game becomes a lot less fun when I'm having to see if I can play it instead of just....playing it...
Alternatively, I am aware that I can join EU servers with 300+ ping during hours that aren't convenient for me. Every other game I've payed $30.00 - I don't have this issue. 
If the active player base doesn't at least triple with 1.0 and they stick with their plan of doubling the price when it's reached 1.0 I might just put it down because I don't want to support those kinds of actions. 

It's unfortunate that 'make a great game and the players will come' just isn't true as it once was, there's just too much crap competeing for Gamer attention, and marketing budgets that exceed the cost of game development by many times (multiples even), with massive marketing research and production budgets driving these campaigns creating a miasma of information distraction.

WW3 is not a great game. It's in the oven cooking and it smells really good.
Still plenty that could go wrong - and speaking my mind - a lot has already gone wrong.
Although I will say the fuck ups are fewer and further in between - I also can't ignore that history tends to repeat itself.
Time will tell. I guess you could say I've got my fingers crossed. 

The Farm 51 and WW3 can't compete in such a marketing venue, and shouldn't, but that doesn't obviate the need for steady, effective Guerilla marketing paralleling development strategy, and there is a lot that can be done here that's proven to work, that isn't being pursued, that leverages and eventuates sales growth and steady increase in play-share. 

If WW3 comes out the oven as good as we're all hoping it will - F51 can and will be able to compete. People who love COD and BF will find their way here because it has a lot of what people love from both series, and more importantly, they've got all intentions of making a game that goes the distance and has play value for years to come. 

Some of the most effective Guerilla marketing in game sales that has proven effective involves Fan participation -- one of the earliest examples was mod development. In one example this spawned over a quarter of a million fan/mod sites for a game in this genre in the early 2000's that was instrumental in its success as the game had virtually no advertising...  But even a handful of Fan sites that people are intrigued by and regularly visit can be an enormous boon.

I really hope this game becomes open to fan mods and while I'm to lazy to look it up and share the screenshot, @Ragir might be able to chime in.
I have a faint memory of reading that mod support is an eventual goal. I highly stand behind moving that up the list of desirable content. 

Some have commented that WW3 needs bots and coop to build play-share, that certainly wouldn't hurt, and while developing path-node or nave-mesh bots or AI can be tedious (it's not hard just time consuming) this  could be leveraged with a 'Bot/AI MDK' allowing fans of WW3 to get involved in a manner that doesn't interfere with the clear design path a game needs to be marketed and understood by a new audience.

I think bots would be an incredible step backwards at this point in time. WW3 was never made to be played this way.
If this time next year I read patch notes for 1.7 that say "We're adding bots" I'd be okay with that
But right now, anyone asking for bots is short sighted and probably doesn't even understand why they want a feature like that....and if they did understand, they'd also see why it's not essential. 

There are an enormous number of approaches that could be taken to leverage Fan interest and effort and the Pareto Principle of 80% of the results for 20% of the cost and effort employing Guerilla marketing technique.  Listing and describing even a few could make this an even longer post -- and it's obviously easy to suggest work that requires someone else's initial initiative and effort, but it seems naive to assume things will change without a more effective approach...

All we can do is wait