BoomCZ

Comunity map creation

@BoomCZ Farm 51 have plans to release an SDk or MOd tools at later, dono about a level editor,  but first let them " try " to finish to develop the damn multimedia Product, it's been a year and this is not looking good , but to your question YES indeed , maybe the community, ( if there's still one ) at the end of this roadmap, will give LIFE again to this game , maybe , just maybe , we can even FIX the damn thing !!  make it better , in the MOd community there's a very talented ppl. even devs, and artists from another multimedia products in the market  ;)  just saying . lol .\

Ya this is just SAD and frustrating.

LiBeR PrImUs

• Like 1

@HALCON4 Squad is also made in UE4 and they have a mod tool released on the EGS for map creation and many other stuff. The SDK is very complicated but there are some awesome mods in the works for that game, from different factions with weapons to gamemodes and even the Tournaments rules they use are from a mod in the Steam Workshop.

• Like 2

@Matt_dOvale Indeed yes Im aware of that one, we play SQUAD and doing some mods missions and in ARMA  since  ARMA 1 , we are pretty active in the mod community , that's why we see this multimedia product called WW3 pretty frustrating with the DEV team already.

SQUAD - We started the Community MOd of Canadian Arm Forces :) now its a FREE DLC  ;).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HALCON4 said:

SQUAD - We started the Community MOd of Canadian Arm Forces :) now its a FREE DLC  ;).

Omg that's so cool, I love that mod. Mad respect!

Congrats on the accomplishment!

I hope the Aussie mod gets the same treatment, that mod also looks very promising.
I only hope for a Dutch Armed Forces mod just like in PR, but hey, I live there so I'm biased.

Modding support keeps games alive bb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matt_dOvale said:

Omg that's so cool, I love that mod. Mad respect!

Congrats on the accomplishment!

I hope the Aussie mod gets the same treatment, that mod also looks very promising.
I only hope for a Dutch Armed Forces mod just like in PR, but hey, I live there so I'm biased.

Modding support keeps games alive bb.

Ausie mod it's SICK !!

Yes Indeed MOd  tools and Mod community give replayability and as you pointed provides LIVE and  longevity to a multimedia product " game " .

And it make it FUN and promotes creativity !!

hey a Dutch Armed Forces ....thers n Idea :) .... We  were thinking to create a Coalition  ( on the works ) -- NATO Unit  or  a  S. F. U .

LiBeR PrImUs

Edited by HALCON4

We're going to support modding in some capacity, but we first have to finish the game. At this time there are some things that are being developed purely for this purpose, but it will take some time to release and we can't really promise stuff yet.

Making maps might sound like something fun to do, but we're putting almost as much time into making sure they perform well as we do into designing them, it's not just a case of 'put stuff where it's cool to put stuff'. You have to take into account lines of sight, how you block view so you don't have to render as much (see: wall of Warsaw or Moscow, hills on Smolensk), you have strict limits as to how many draw calls you can have and how heavy they are (we try to keep it at below 2000 drawcalls). If you don't know what a draw call is, you will not be able to make a map for World War 3.

And even if you know, there's a full PBR pipeline to get to know, a lot of lighting physics, there's physical materials, setting up of the spawns, the bullet penetration.

Let's take the last one. There's literal thousands of objects on our maps, like 15 000. You have to make sure each of them has the bullet penetration set up correctly, so click each of them and set it up. How much time will it take you to set it up? Like a week, 8h a day most likely? And that's actually one of the easiest steps.

Yeah, making guns will probably be easier, right?

So you make the model and make sure it's set up for the customization system, so every attachment you want to fit on it, fits on it, and there's like 700 of them. You have to split the weapon into parts ofc, it's not a single model. Texture it, make sure it works well with other guns and their textures. Remember, there's skins, you have to make sure those work as well, there's a 100 of those.

Now, you have to also animate the weapon. That's a new animation for each pose. How many poses are there? Well, there's base poses like prone, crouch, walk, sprint, back prone, but each of them also has stuff called aim-offsets (when looking left or right), so that's already 15 (I'm not an animator though, so I bet I'm missing something important). Now, that's just for simple idle animation. Now add reloads (there's 3 of them per pose, so 45), add animating of the weapon movement in each of the poses and in ADS, that's 45 + 45 + 45. the last 90 is set up in the editor using curves, so it's a bit faster, but getting it to look good is actually not that simple.

Now, add sound design, so it works with the rest of the weapons in the game: that's FPP sounds, TPP sounds, far TPP sounds, tails, sounds for each of the environment sizes (small room, large room, outside and probably a few more). Reload sounds as well, don't forget, those also have to have variants.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

Did you know suppressors change how the weapon sounds? Yeah. 

And you have to make particles like muzzle flash too.

This is even without considering balance and game design.

All this said, we're fully behind having mod tools, but mod tools also require development time. If we want to make them usable for normal people, it will take more time. And making tools for a game that's still being changed a lot is also not smart.

TL;DR; Making games is hard, making tools takes time, be patient :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20.12.2019 в 15:10, Ragir сказал:

We're going to support modding in some capacity

TL;DR; Making games is hard, making tools takes time, be patient :P

Also the developers of Insurgency (2014) and Insurgency: Sandstorm are former modders who carried out the entire workflow from beginning to end, making a mod for Half-Life 2 - insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat. Following their experience they added mod support for their first standalone game - Insurgency (2014) which included a lot of things (from custom sounds and interface to custom maps and weapons). By the way Insurgency (2014) has a lot of custom maps and weapons.

Now they are making mod tools (with support of custom maps and weapons) for Insurgency: Sandstorm what is made on the Unreal Engine 4 too! 

On 12/29/2019 at 10:03 AM, Akan said:

Now they are making mod tools (with support of custom maps and weapons) for Insurgency: Sandstorm what is made on the Unreal Engine 4 too! 

Yup, they are modders, their games were basically made to be modded and yet the newest one STILL (over a year after release) doesn't support mods. This only shows how complex this topic is. Most of us devs here are all for modding, but remember that the mod scene was biggest back in the days when games were coming out and that was basically it. No patching, maybe a big expansion, not to mention early access.

Just imagine having to redo parts of your mod every 3-4 weeks because we changed something - how long would you keep it up realistically? Or what if we changed something that's crucial for your mod to work and it's no longer possible to do something?

Let's finish the game first, give it some time to get patched and made better and then we can work on modding. It's always been in the plans and we've been actively developing some tools in the meantime, but we don't have anything concrete to say about this at this time.

• Like 2

Well, I mean. Look at Halo:MCC PC, people already made a working, walking, shooting Scarab Tank(Afbeeldingsresultaat voor scarab tank) for the game.

And modding support (even the map editing tool, Forge) isn't even released yet. So I think with enough motivation people wll definitely add mods for WW3 when the devs stop breaking it after 1.0 😛

• Like 3