Akan

[Weapon] [Feature] Free-aim hipfire

Question

I have already read the new Weelky Report about new animation system (which is very exciting) so I decided to offer new feature that will make gunfure more interesting and believable.

It is free-aim hipfire. it have realised in Insurgency (2014), Insurgency: Sandstorm, Rising Storm, etc., and gives a lot of positive emotions. How it works?

Position of your gun isn`t centered while shooting from the hip. You can aim the barrel of your gun to any part of the screen by yourself so you shoudn`t turn camera to aim at the enemy. With this feature you are more likely to control not the camera, but the weapon itself. That is, the weapon moves faster on the screen than the camera turns. Don`t confuse it with spread and sway.

You can understand this idea more clearly just by looking this gameplays of Insurgency (2014).

(The feature is explained at 1:42 - 3:05 timecodes)

I think this feature must be in every FPS shooter. World War 3 isn`t a exception.

Link to the Weekly Report:
https://worldwar3.com/en/2019/12/24/weekly-report-43-new-movement-system-preview/

Edited by Akan
I added a link to Weekly Report

14 answers to this question

The less WW3 would take from Insurgency:Sandstorm - the better WW3 would be. My humble IMO.

11 минут назад, tynblpb сказал:

The less WW3 would take from Insurgency:Sandstorm - the better WW3 would be. My humble IMO.

Why? Insurgency is a very solid shooter what adds depth to shooting without raising the barrier to entry. Personally I find it hard to play most casual shooters because (suprise!) it needs more effort to improve your skill. So Insurgency (2014) is the best shooter IMHO (not even Sandstorm).

Edited by Akan

2 минуты назад, Akan сказал:

Why? Insurgency is a very solid shooter what adds depth to shooting without raising the barrier to entry. Personally I find it hard to play most casual shooters because (suprise!) it needs more effort to improve your skill. So Insurgency (2014) is the best shooter IMHO (not even Sandstorm).

Didn't try Insurgency, so can't say anything about it. Decided to try Sandstorm during free weekend. Meh. "Oh, so hardcore" wannabe shooter with exaggerated recoil, clunky movement and 2 bullets TTK aka campfest. 1 thing that's good there - sound.

47 минут назад, tynblpb сказал:

exaggerated recoil, clunky movement and 2 bullets TTK aka campfest.

Lol. None of that is in Sandstorm. Also even if Sandstorm is "hardcore" (hardcore is Squad, Hell Let Loose, Rising Storm) this does not mean that you can not add a cool feature from a hardcore game, just because it is hardcore. No one asks to make World War 3`s gameplay slow-past, difficult and so on.

Back to your claims:

1) Fans of Insurgency hates Sandstorm for lower recoil and higher Time To Kill then before. In Sandstorm is really normal recoil (in casual shooters recoil and spread of bullets can be higher then in Sandstorm). So it's not even close "exaggerated recoil". Also Sandstorm`s shooting almost = World War 3 (version 0.2, exactly). Both games allowed to fully control firing and recoil what other shooters didn`t do perfect or didn`t do at all. 

2) "Clunky movement". Firstly, Sandstorm has base features of movement what have World War 3 (except lying on the back). Secondly, Sandstorm is fast-pased so for example you can run very very fast, slide and so on. Thus I don't know what you mean by "Clunky movement".

3) "2 bullets TTK". It is false. You can`t kill anybody with 2 bullets with the majority of weapons by shooting heavy armor (it appears very often in Sandstorm) as in World War 3. Even In World War 3 you can kill somebody with 2 bullets by shooting head + body (1+1 bullets) as in Sandstorm. That's even considering the presence of helmets in World War 3 as armor. By the way, what in World War 3, what in Sandstorm there are guns that kill with a one shot.

didnt get what is it about. Looks just like regular hip-fire with huge spread and sway

So as far as I can gather, what you're suggesting is to make it so that the gun doesn't predictably hit the centre area of the screen when you hipfire. This is a rather silly idea. The walking pace in WW3 is slow enough that operators could realistically be expected to hit a fairly narrow area, and remember the gun is still being held in the shoulder at this point, not actually being fired from the hip. What I would suggest is to simply remove the translucent dot from the centre of the screen. That way, the accuracy of hipfire is determined by the skill of the player, which is what it should be. While I'm not keen on either this idea or your suggestion, I think removing the dot is probably a better compromise.

• Like 1

6 часов назад, Atway сказал:

didnt get what is it about. Looks just like regular hip-fire with huge spread and sway

4 часа назад, nubbits сказал:

So as far as I can gather, what you're suggesting is to make it so that the gun doesn't predictably hit the centre area of the screen when you hipfire. 

You both misunderstood me. OK. This video illustrates how the weapon behaves in the hip position (1:42 - 3:05 timecode exactly) 

With this feature you are more likely to control not the camera, but the weapon itself. That is, the weapon moves faster on the screen than the camera turns. It allows to aim the gun to any part of the screen by yourself (not to be confused with spread and sway).

and remember the gun is still being held in the shoulder at this point, not actually being fired from the hip. 

I know that. Absolutely everyone calls this position "fire from the hip" so I didn't say otherwise in order not to complicate my speech.

What I would suggest is to simply remove the translucent dot from the centre of the screen.

I agree with that. The dot in the center of the screen should be removed even if my suggestion won`t be approved. It ruin iimmersion and it is simply useless.

UPD. I changed the content of the topic to make it more understandable.

Edited by Akan

its just a way to counter quickscopes and make hip-firing less accurate

I highly disagree with the suggestion - I played few games with such mechanics and it distracts a lot and makes moves more clumsy

Edited by Atway

On 12/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, Atway said:

its just a way to counter quickscopes and make hip-firing less accurate

No, it's a way to not make hipfire random like it is right now, you also have to be aware of where your gun is pointing at all times (mount a laser to make it easier, but it costs 2 inventory points (or weight in WW3) and could give away your position).

How does this counter quickscopes, this hipfire mechanic is very inaccurate in quick engagements if you aren't experienced and you won't hit anything at medium to long ranges (5m is already pretty hard). In I:S you almost always win if you are pre-aiming, which is a GOOD thing for a tactical game like this.

Having played I:S quite a bit I can say this mechanic is way more satisfying than the random hipfire most games use. If you die because of it you can say it's because of yourself, not because of the RNG hipfire bullshit.

• Like 1

Dont get why people always try to add something from one game to another instead of just playing the first one :)

Im pretty sure devs want to kill someone each time they hear "in CoD..." or "in Insurgency..." :D

27.12.2019 в 18:32, Atway сказал:

Im pretty sure devs want to kill someone each time they hear "in CoD..." or "in Insurgency..." :D

Even before the early access release the developers said they were inspired by a lot of games (from CoD and Battlefield to ARMA, Heroes & Generals maybe even Insurgency). This is normal practice I don't know what you don't like.

Best way to make the best move is to learn from others ( i mean copy the best from all and improve it , develop it  and even add new brave ideas ) .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hypnotic said:

Best way to make the best move is to learn from others

"best" is subjectively :)