Dunabar

[Weapon] Weapons that could enhance WW3 - Battle Rifles | ASh-12

Question

Hey Folks

So it's time to cover those big guns that gave me a big headache once again, by which I mean the Battle Rifles, and instead of taking a Advil trip down memory lane looking for a new Battle Rifle I hadn't suggested before like I did with the Czech (🇨🇿) BREN 2 BR. I decided I would revisit one of my older suggested weapons from my original 8 Guns that could enhance WW3 - Battle Rifles post from back in March last year and today we get to talk about the Big Beast from the East, the ASh-12.7/ShAK-12. A .50 Caliber (Not .50 BMG mind you) Bullpup Battle Rifle of pure destruction.

If you wish to read other Suggestion posts I have made, click the link below. Otherwise, lets get started with the ASh-12.

----

Dunabar's "Master Suggestion Post Archive"

----

Contents of this post

• Section 1 - The ASh-12 - Real life information behind the ASh-12
  • Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons - Comparing stats between current in-game BRs and suggested BR with the ASh-12.
  • Section 3 - Special Features - Special features I think the ASh-12 should have
  • Section 4 - Customization - Customization options I think the ASh-12 should have

----

Section 1 - The ASh-12

20120812153730!Flag_of_Russia.svg

image.jpeg.212e9dd5285d55c3f31060961ceaa7cb.jpegimage.jpeg.b8bf0e13583871e59181bbf9845e33d5.jpeg

Introduction & Demonstration Videos of the ASh-12

Extra Information sources

The ASh-12.7/ASh-12/ShAK-12 is a Russian Bullpup Battle Rifle designed to fire a slightly modified, scaled down version of the 12.7x55mm that is used by the VKS or VSSK Sniper Rifle and probably the same exact type of ammunition as it's RSh-12 Assault Revolver counterpart. Though the weapon has been reported to have been adopted and used by Russian Special Forces since 2011, no records have shown that the weapon has actually been used so far, and Russia seems to be the only Nation on earth that fields this weapon. It's very design was made by request of the Russian FSB for their Urban Combat units, granting them extreme short-range stopping power that would be able to defeat the most present day body armor with little effort.

So if the gun was to be added to the game, what playstyle would the gun favor, and most importantly where exactly would it stand when compared to the other Battle Rifles?

----

Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons

In terms of playstyle, the ASh-12 should be a devastating CQC Battle Rifle that favors defensive, methodical minded players with good trigger discipline, and are very comfortable with tap firing in semi-auto mode over that of mag dumping in full auto even while in engagement ranges that are perfectly acceptable for full auto fire. It breaks the normal rules of Battle Rifles as it excels excellently at very close to close range engagements, but struggles beyond...maybe close-medium range engagements as it's muzzle velocity is excessively low, So, while it should not be totally impossible for the ASh-12 to reach out to smack someone...the likelihood that just anyone is going to do it is very...very unlikely to happen. If the SCAR-H is the balanced middle fielder, the 417 the accurate long range fighter, and the suggested BREN 2 BR to be the close-medium upstart. Then the ASh-12 is the hungry, enraged Grizzly Bear waiting to end the first enemy that gets in close proximity of it. You don't drop this weapon in just any loadout, you build a loadout around it...

Now, lets move on to comparing possible stats of the ASh-12 vs. other Battle Rifles in the game and of course any gun with (S) in it's name is a suggested gun I've suggested and it's not actually in the game itself. Like always the color coding works as shown below.

• Green - The gun is better compared to this weapon's stats on the list.
  • Yellow - The gun is equal or competitive compared to this weapon's stats on the list.
  • Red - The gun is worse compared to this weapon's stats on the list.

Please note:  Once again, I cannot test these stats to confirm balance, so think of these as more of a proposed starting place for testing on the PTE, and I'm comparing the stats of the weapons from a stock design against another stock design without taking customization into consideration. This is primarily to help keep the post small and keep what little sanity I have left in me.

ASh-12 proposed and compared stats.

• ASh-12 Effective ranges: 0 - 35m (55 damage.) Damage decreases at 36m - 135m (38 damage)
    • SCAR-H: 0 - 105m (40 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (32 damage)
    • M417: 0 - 105m (40 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (32 damage)
    • (S) BREN 2 BR: 105m (40 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (32 damage)
  • ASh-12 Weight: 25.0
    • SCAR-H: 17.6
    • M417: 18.3
    • (S) BREN 2 BR: 17.9
  • ASh-12 Recoil: 0.98
    • SCAR-H: 0.92
    • M417: 0.95
    • (S) BREN 2 BR: 0.87
  • ASh-12 Spread: 0.28
    • SCAR-H: 0.2
    • M417: 0.14
    • (S) BREN 2 BR: 0.22
  • ASh-12 Reload time: 4.8
    • SCAR-H: 4.0 Seconds
    • M417: 1.0 Seconds
    • (S) BREN 2 BR: 4.8 Seconds
  • ASh-12 Rate of Fire: 600
    • SCAR-H: 525
    • M417: 430
    • (S) BREN 2 BR: 620
  • ASh-12 Caliber: 12.7x55mm
    • SCAR-H: 7,62x51mm
    • M417: 7,62x51mm
    • (S) BREN 2 BR: 7,62x51mm
  • ASh-12 Muzzle Velocity: 290 m/s
    • SCAR-H: 714 m/s
    • M417: 817 m/s
    • (S) BREN 2 BR: 680 m/s
  • ASh-12 Bullets to KillHDPE: 2 / PTLN: 2 / Cer: 2 / STL: 3
    • SCAR-H: HDPE: 3 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 4 / STL: 5
    • M417: HDPE: 3 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 4 / STL: 5
    • (S) BREN 2 BR: HDPE: 3 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 4 / STL: 5

With this out of the way we move on to special features.

----

Section 3 - Special Features

This will actually be short since there isn't much that really needs to be said.

• 12.7x55mm - This Battle Rifle shoots a caliber of ammunition that is close to that of it's Sniper Rifle counterpart the VKS. This round should one shot someone in the head regardless if the ASh-12 user is using FMJ or AP against the highest armor protection helmet. Only with HP would I argue it should do large amounts of damage, but not one shot the person.
  • Limited Barrel Options - The ASh-12 should only have access to a Short & Medium Barrel to primarily encourage those closer range engagements.
  • Horrible Full Auto fire - While being able to fire in full auto isn't exactly unique or special. It's the fact that full auto fire with the ASh-12 should basically be garbage beyond belief...If a person hates the SCAR-H for how it performs in full auto mode, then the ASh-12 would be their eternal enemy. Going Full Auto with this Battle Rifle should be an emergency only scenario. It might have a higher rate of fire compared to the other Battle Rifles, but it should not be doing the gun any major favors beyond putting lead in the air.
  • 40mm Grenade Launcher - Should under slung Grenade Launchers be added to the game, the ASh-12 should have the ability to attach one as part of it's realistic characteristics.

----

Section 4 - Customization

Now this part will be rather quick since I don't plan to go over stats or anything. Just a quick mention of what the ASh-12 should & should not have access to (in my opinion) when it comes to customization options.

• Primary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Secondary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Barrels
    • Medium Barrel
    • Short Barrel
  • Muzzles
    • All Muzzles optional
  • Lower
    • All Lowers optional
  • Side
    • All side mounts optional
  • Magazines
    • 10 Round Magazines
    • 20 Round Magazines
  • Ammunition
    • All (Gun) Ammunition Types optional

As for bodyparts for the gun, well, there really doesn't seem to be any beyond what it has in it's stock form. More creative room for the Developers!

And with that we bring this post to an end. I hope you like the idea of the ASh-12/ShAK-12 being added to the game, even if maybe not exactly how I presented it. I figured with so few Battle Rifles really bringing anything different to the table, the World War of WW3 soon expanding into Asia, and needing more variety in the weapon category. That it would be a great time to not only revisit an old suggested Battle Rifle, but one from a Eastern power, and one that truly stands apart from the rest of the class of Battle Rifles. But, for now the hour grows late and I have someone's birthday to celebrate later today. So, till the next suggestion post comes around...

Have a good one folks!

Edited by Dunabar
Small fixes

14 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Dunabar said:

Still looking for more good ASh-12/ShAK-12 Videos that are not of Escape from Tarkov or Call of Duty.

The video is from the same guy, but contains a little bit more action (ShAK12, burst fire mode)

I think it shouldnt be considered as a battle rifle, but assault rifle

Edited by Atway
  • Thanks 1

Even though I don't rly care about what weapons would be added, here I voted Yes.

And from my opinion this ASh-12 is some kind of competitor to Vepr-12(not the BRs) with that remark that it can be called "slug-shotgun". Anyways, it could be very niche weapon and thus wouldn't affect gameplay and balance that much as I've said game already has Vepr-12 and in the only way ASh-12 is better is the long range accuracy and dmg on the 65+m distances, but with its muzzle velocity and bullet drop it wouldn't be anything extraordinary, but still be kinda fresh looking gun that stands its own way. Would be interesting to try it. If it would be added of course.

Upd. With horizontal recoil reduction loadout SCAR-H can be rly decent rifle, especially when single fire tapping.

Edited by tynblpb
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tynblpb said:

it could be very niche weapon and thus wouldn't affect gameplay and balance that much

it will affect TDM a lot :) But who cares right?

1 минуту назад, Atway сказал:

IMO wouldn't that much as it would require 2 hits to kill, while shotguns only 1 well placed. And who was shamelessly running with shotgun yesterday?😝

3 minutes ago, tynblpb said:

And who was shamelessly running with shotgun yesterday?

Atway the noobiest!

5 hours ago, Atway said:

The video is from the same guy, but contains a little bit more action (ShAK12, burst fire mode)

Video added to the list. Thanks Atway! 👍

Quick note on the burst fire mode. I wish Lazarev would have held back on the trigger for a moment after firing, that way we could see that it was actually burst fire, and not just him letting off a quick burst of full auto fire. I say this for two reasons-

1. If it is indeed Burst Fire mode, the gun obviously wouldn't fire till the trigger is pulled again. Which if the gun doesn't have full auto and has Burst Fire instead, then regardless if it's classed as either a Battle Rifle or Assault Rifle it's a bonus in my book for being different than everything else.
  2. Two of the three websites stated above are claiming semi and full auto only fire modes. The wiki I can easily dismiss as possibly being full of bull...Because...Well, Wiki. But, Modern Firearms is operated by a single man out of Russia (if I recall correctly) and he is very good about ensuring accurate information behind the weapons he posts. So, I'm a little torn between which Russian to trust lol. I might just need to deep dive more on the research and see what I come up with after my plans tonight.

Either way, thanks again Atway!

Edited by Dunabar

5 hours ago, tynblpb said:

IMO wouldn't that much as it would require 2 hits to kill, while shotguns only 1 well placed. And who was shamelessly running with shotgun yesterday?

5 hours ago, Atway said:

Same with Sniper Rifles doing the 1 shot drop on folks at the same close ranges as Shotguns and obviously much further out where the Shotgun begins to struggle. In the end the Devs obviously get the final say in the capabilities of weapons in the game and have already stated their not aiming for 1 for 1 realism with the weapons. So, just have to wait and see what they do if they do add the weapon to the game.

1 hour ago, Dunabar said:

Quick note on the burst fire mode. I wish Lazarev would have held back on the trigger for a moment after firing, that way we could see that it was actually burst fire, and not just him letting off a quick burst of full auto fire.

in the video he said (1:30): ~"as you could see I fired full auto on purpose.. yeah, short bursts, but full auto. I dont think that someone will fire with it with long bursts..."

So yeah, sorry for wrong info, it has semi and full auto firemode.

https://www.popmech.ru/weapon/449292-shak-12-krupnokalibernaya-myasorubka/#part0

" Это крупнокалиберное, полностью автоматическое оружие, способное вести стрельбу мощными патронами калибра 12,7 х 55 мм как одиночным, так и полностью автоматическим огнем на дистанциях 200−400 м. " - this is high-caliber fully auto weapon, which can fire 12.7mm both semi and full auto on 200-400m range

Edited by Atway
  • Thanks 1

The gun kinda looks like the Groza OTs-14:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor grozaAfbeeldingsresultaat voor groza ots
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor groza otsAfbeeldingsresultaat voor groza ots

It has some unique attachments.

The rifle is specially made for Russian special forces, used for CQB and urban environments.

It's design is based off the AKS platform and somewhat inspired by the Steyr AUG in form and accessibility.

10 minutes ago, Matt_dOvale said:

somewhat inspired by the Steyr AUG in form and accessibility.

its called just bullpup :D

9 hours ago, Matt_dOvale said:

The gun kinda looks like the Groza OTs-14:

Snipped the Images just to keep the quote on the smaller side - Dunabar

It has some unique attachments.

The rifle is specially made for Russian special forces, used for CQB and urban environments.

It's design is based off the AKS platform and somewhat inspired by the Steyr AUG in form and accessibility.

That is because the ASh-12/ShAK-12 was designed by the same firearms designers that created the Grozas. So they very likely said; Hey this design works, People like it, it's designed around CQC urban environments as well, how about we see if we can scale it up to shoot a .50 caliber round of ammunition? 😀

• Haha 1

@Dunabar next weapon thread about this one please😁:

6P62 (6П62) Russian handheld machine gun chambered for the 12.7×108mm round

image.png.78b8f6dcd6af8d532ff2bfc3949dfdae.png

image.png.18952459c9d734ed5f5bc43b7c02a59f.png

Edited by Atway

2 minutes ago, Atway said:

@Dunabar next weapon thread about this one please😁:

6P62 (6П62) Russian handheld machine gun chambered for the 12.7×108mm round

image.png.78b8f6dcd6af8d532ff2bfc3949dfdae.png

I will look into it once I'm done with my 2nd round of gun suggestions. Currently I have weapons from these countries still to go-

• 🇷🇺 <- Not a MG either I'm afraid.
  • 🇩🇪
  • 🇹🇷
  • 🇮🇱

Once those are done, I will begin gathering some ideas for the 3rd round of gun suggestions. :)

On 1/22/2020 at 10:37 AM, Dunabar said:

I will look into it once I'm done with my 2nd round of gun suggestions. Currently I have weapons from these countries still to go-

• 🇷🇺 <- Not a MG either I'm afraid.
  • 🇩🇪
  • 🇹🇷
  • 🇮🇱

Once those are done, I will begin gathering some ideas for the 3rd round of gun suggestions. :)

Greetings from Finland: https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-trg/trg-m10