SkynetPR

[Gadget?] Armor Semi Overhaul

Question

This is mostly intended for the future, or maybe a "tactical realism" game mode. Crossposting from my post over at r/WW3Game

For the base plates, here's a way this can go. The base system isn't necessarily broken, I just think it could use improvement.

Damage Threshold

This system would need some significant changes to damage, but would give a bit more realism and use to body armor. Armor has X Defense and Y Durability. Weapons have X Damage and Y Penetration. Pen and Damage decrease with range. Each hit checks to see if armor is hit. If yes, it decreases armor Defense by weapon Penetration. If any damage makes it over the threshold, then the target will receive that damage. Each shot will decrease armor Defense. If Defense reaches 0 after or during being hit, any further damage ignores the armor. AP and HP multiply penetration and damage by a certain factor. AP will reward players for hitting armor and getting precise hits. HP will reward aiming around the plate.

Conditionals?

Sometimes plates are additionally vulnerable to other threats. HDPE is vulnerable to harder cored rounds, Steel is vulnerable to speed, and ceramic is vulnerable to dense rounds. We could add some checks to see if a round meets these conditions, or add an AP bonus for meeting it. I dunno. It'd just make armor a little more balanced out. No armor should be objectively better.

Additional Armor

What do you prefer? Going in weapons hot with a light HDPE front plate only and hoping to avoid damage in the first place? Or strapping on 15x16 plates and as much soft armor as you can carry, taking a massive amount of ammo and an LMG, and laughing at things like small arms? The idea is to give some more depth to armor by giving back plate, side plate, soft armor... Each layer would add to your defense. Bullets would hit the first layer, reduce, and hit the second layer and reduce further. Obviously just soft armor will not cut it against rifles, but against SMGs and pistols, it should do the job. And none of this matters if you aim around the armor, or against places where there are gaps.

Impacts And You

Obviously, being shot somewhat hurts. This would add impact effects. Bullets would push your aim in the direction you were hit on. Left side of plate, aim kicked a little to the left. And such and so forth. Actual wounds would be more debilitating, causing greater flinches and such

other crap

Base Reserve Ammo could get an increase. Sure, ammo bags, but this is a pub, and half the time you'll never get one when you need it I'm thinking the US standard of at least 8 reserve and one in the gun for your rifle. Vehicle wall penetration and destruction could be cool. Autocannons will blow chunks of wall out. A tank shell will clear it entirely. Basically, you will be able to cause destruction of the map and shape the battlefield much better. APDS will go through a wall, but HE will reduce the wall to rubble. HEDP will project a blast through the wall and destroy some of it too. We could also make HESH useful by giving it enhanced wall destruction.

At the end of the day, I'm not that good at expressing stuff. I just like my plates, and I thought I'd post this here too.

2 answers to this question

6 часов назад, SkynetPR сказал:

Damage Threshold

This system would need some significant changes to damage, but would give a bit more realism and use to body armor. Armor has X Defense and Y Durability. Weapons have X Damage and Y Penetration. Pen and Damage decrease with range. Each hit checks to see if armor is hit. If yes, it decreases armor Defense by weapon Penetration. If any damage makes it over the threshold, then the target will receive that damage. Each shot will decrease armor Defense. If Defense reaches 0 after or during being hit, any further damage ignores the armor. AP and HP multiply penetration and damage by a certain factor. AP will reward players for hitting armor and getting precise hits. HP will reward aiming around the plate

I think it's in the game since the start. Read the dev's answers in the linked theme.

Impacts And You

Obviously, being shot somewhat hurts. This would add impact effects. Bullets would push your aim in the direction you were hit on. Left side of plate, aim kicked a little to the left. And such and so forth. Actual wounds would be more debilitating, causing greater flinches and such

More or less it is in the game as u r flinching a little when being hit. It's especially clear when u r ADS with medium-high magnification scopes.

Base Reserve Ammo could get an increase. Sure, ammo bags, but this is a pub, and half the time you'll never get one when you need it

There was a short period of time when base ammo pool was decreased. Never before and never after teamwork was this high in WW3. The more ammo has player from the start - the more he thinks of himself as "one man army". Me personally would like to see current ammo pool to be decreased a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tons of words were written, about, how weak is body armor (helmets are OK). The main problem is low protection square. You can easily die from bodyshots with full armor.

P.S.  I made in MathCAD some calculations  for BTK and damage, which are seem for me both realistic and fun (modern armor plates can few rifle bullets. but when armor is depleted, you die from 1-2 bullets).