Dunabar

[Weapon] Weapons that could enhance WW3 - Assault Rifles | MCX-Spear

Question

Posted (edited)

Hey Folks

Time to talk Assault Rifles again and this time around I felt I would cover another "newer" Assault Rifle currently in the World. But, not just any Assault Rifle, but one of the two most likely Assault Rifles to replace the current M4 in the United States Military. Of the top two that have the highest chances of replacing the venerable M4, this particular one rates the highest in my book as it's designers are also developing it's partner in the field, the American (🇺🇸) M68 which is designed to replace the M249 SAW, and a .338 Norma Magnum GPMG currently named the MG-338 to replace the M240 unofficially. Today we knock out the third round of Assault Rifles with the MCX-Spear.

If you wish to read other Suggestion posts I have made, click the link below. Otherwise, lets get started with the MCX-Spear

----

Dunabar's "Master Suggestion Post Archive"

----

Contents of this post

• Section 1 - The MCX-Spear - Real life information behind the MCX-Spear
  • Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons - Comparing stats between current in-game ARs and suggested ARs with the MCX-Spear
  • Section 3 - Special Features - Special features I think the MCX-Spear should have
  • Section 4 - Customization - Customization options I think the MCX-Spear should have

----

Section 1 - The MCX-Spear

image.png.0d051c9e0e46538d8f6ffe9122af9543.png

sig-ngsw.jpg

The MCX-Spear

Introduction & Demonstration Videos of the MCX-Spear.

Extra Information sources

The MCX-Spear (or simply "Spear") is Sig Sauer's entry into the U.S Army's Next Generation Squad Weapon - Rifle (NGSW-R) Program, featuring the 6.8x51mm Sig hybrid cartridge (the same round as the American (🇺🇸) M68) that attempts to bridge the gap between 5.56 & 7.62 ammunition. Though the MCX-Spear is also able to fire 6.5 Creedmoor & 7.62x51 NATO as well when some conversions are made to the weapon itself. But, the main selling point is still the new 6.8x51mm ammunition offered by Sig Sauer which was designed to try to give U.S Infantry overmatch capability over near-peer opponents that they may engage in the future (aka give the U.S Infantry a stronger, deadlier, and all around more effective caliber of ammunition against a Foreign Military Opponent.) Currently however, the MCX-Spear will first need to contend against it's competitors in the NGSW-R program from General Dynamics & Textron till 2022.

So, if the gun was to be added to the game, what playstyle would the gun favor and most importantly where exactly would it stand when compared to generally similar Assault Rifles?

----

Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons

In terms of playstyle, the MCX-Spear should generally be considered a upper-middle of the road Assault Rifle, that favors experienced players at medium to long range that know how to keep engagements in the weapon's effective reach. However, the weapon's primary weaknesses should be in close range engagements because of a slower rate of fire, moderately high recoil for a non-7.62 caliber Assault Rifle, smaller than average magazine (I will cover this later down in the post), lack of a burst fire mode (self explained even if it will be covered later), and a higher damage drop off at really long ranges.

By now I imagine anyone who has read my previous posts knows how this is going to go down between the color codes and the (S) Markings. But, just in case~

• (S) - The weapon is one I have suggested but isn't actually in the game currently.
  • Green - The gun is better compared to this weapon's stats on the list.
  • Yellow - The gun is equal or competitive compared to this weapon's stats on the list.
  • Red - The gun is worse compared to this weapon's stats on the list.

Please note: I cannot test these stats to confirm balance, so think of these as more of a proposed starting place for testing on the PTE. Also I'm comparing the stats of weapons from a stock design to another stock design without taking customization into consideration. This is primarily because it would take a long time to do and obviously the post would grow substantially larger if I did.

MCX-Spear proposed and compared stats.

• MCX-Spear Effective ranges: 0 - 105m (33 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (28 damage)
    • M4 MWS: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
    • AK-15: 0 - 105m (34 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (31 damage)
    • VEPR: 0 - 105m (32 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (29 damage)
    • MSBS-B: 0 - 30m (36 damage.) Damage decreases at 31m - 135m (24 damage)
    • MSBS-K: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
    • M416: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
    • G36: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
    • Beryl 762: 0 - 105m (34 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (31 damage)
    • Alpha: 0 - 105m (34 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (31 damage)
    • SA80: 0 - 90m (30 damage.) Damage decreases at 91m - 135m (26 damage)
    • (S) Zastava M17: 0 - 100m (32 damage.) Damage decreases at 101m - 135m (29 damage)
    • (S) QBZ-191: 0 - 95m (34 damage.) Damage decreases at 96m - 135m (28 damage)
  • MCX-Spear Weight: 15.8
    • M4 MWS: 14.0
    • AK-15: 16.5
    • VEPR: 10.7
    • MSBS-B: 11.5
    • MSBS-K: 13.5
    • M416: 16.3
    • G36: 12.7
    • Beryl 762: 15.7
    • Alpha: 13.0
    • SA80: 15.5
    • (S) Zastava M17: 15.9
    • (S) QBZ-191: 15.5
  • MCX-Spear Recoil: 0.71
    • M4 MWS: 0.6
    • AK-15: 0.74
    • VEPR: 0.71
    • MSBS-B: 0.74
    • MSBS-K: 0.71
    • M416: 0.83
    • G36: 0.74
    • Beryl 762: 0.83
    • Alpha: 0.72
    • SA80: 0.81
    • (S) Zastava M17: 0.68
    • (S) QBZ-191: 0.62
  • MCX-Spear Spread: 0.28
    • M4 MWS: 0.3
    • AK-15: 0.26
    • VEPR: 0.28
    • MSBS-B: 0.22
    • MSBS-K: 0.25
    • M416: 0.2
    • G36: 0.28
    • Beryl 762: 0.3
    • Alpha: 0.3
    • SA80: 0.27
    • (S) Zastava M17: 0.25
    • (S) QBZ-191: 0.24
  • MCX-Spear Reload time: 2.4 Seconds
    • M4 MWS: 1.0 Seconds
    • AK-15: 3.1 Seconds
    • VEPR: 4.2 Seconds
    • MSBS-B: 2.7 Seconds
    • MSBS-K: 3.2 Seconds
    • M416: 4.0 Seconds
    • G36: 3.1 Seconds
    • Beryl 762: 3.1 Seconds
    • Alpha: 2.85 Seconds
    • SA80: 3.1 Seconds
    • (S) Zastava M17: 3.0 Seconds
    • (S) QBZ-191: 3.6 Seconds
  • MCX-Spear Rate of Fire: 630 RPMs
    • M4 MWS: 740 RPMs
    • AK-15: 620 RPMs
    • VEPR: 670 RPMs
    • MSBS-B: 621RPMs
    • MSBS-K: 721RPMs
    • M416: 660 RPMs
    • G36: 750 RPMs
    • Beryl 762: 600 RPMs
    • Alpha: 570 RPMs
    • SA80: 940 RPMs
    • (S) Zastava M17: 660 RPMs
    • (S) QBZ-191: 750 RPMs
  • MCX-Spear Caliber: 6.8x51mm
    • M4 MWS: 5,56x45mm
    • AK-15: 7,62x39mm
    • VEPR: 5,45x39mm
    • MSBS-B: .300 Blackout
    • MSBS-K: 5,56x45mm
    • M416: 5,56x45mm
    • G36: 5,56x45mm
    • Beryl 762: 7,62x39mm
    • Alpha: 7,62x39mm
    • SA80: 5,56x45mm
    • (S) Zastava M17: 6,5x39mm
    • (S) QBZ-191: 5.8x45mm
  • MCX-Spear Muzzle Velocity: 890 m/s
    • M4 MWS: 910 m/s
    • AK-15: 720 m/s
    • VEPR: 880 m/s
    • MSBS-B: 675 m/s
    • MSBS-K: 890 m/s
    • M416: 917 m/s
    • G36: 920 m/s
    • Beryl 762: 940 m/s
    • Alpha: 740 m/s
    • SA80: 780 m/s
    • (S) Zastava M17: 800 m/s
    • (S) QBZ-191: 950 m/s
  • MCX-Spear Bullets to Kill: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 5 / STL: 6
    • M4 MWS: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • AK-15: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • VEPR: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 7 / STL: 8
    • MSBS-B: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 6 / STL: 8
    • MSBS-K: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • M416: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • G36: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • Beryl 762: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • Alpha: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • SA80: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • (S) Zastava M17: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 6 / STL: 7
    • (S) QBZ-191: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 7 / STL: 8

With this out of the way we move on to special features which will be rather short.

----

Section 3 - Special Features

• No High capacity Magazines - Currently as things stand the real MCX-Spear only has 20 round Magazines. However, I don't see 10 round Magazines or 30 round Magazines being all that much of a engineering challenge to develop for the weapon as 10 rounds fewer or more is very unlikely to put too much of a demand on the weapon. That said though, if the Developers want to play more towards realism & making the Spear more unique by limiting it to 10 & 20 round magazines, then that is an optional path they can take as the real MCX-Spear only has 20 round Magazines currently.
  • No Short Barrel Option - To keep the MCX-Spear in more of that medium - long range effective role, I would limit the weapon to only Medium & Long Barrels.
  • No Burst Fire - The real MCX-Spear lacks a burst fire mode.
  • Changeable Caliber based on Barrel - If we end up being able to change gun calibers in the future, this would definitely be one of those guns that are able to fire multiple calibers. Otherwise this can be ignored entirely and the MCX-Spear should stick to the 6.8x51 Sig Caliber as it's dedicated ammunition type.

----

Section 4 - Customization

Now this part will be rather quick since I don't plan to go over stats or anything. Just a quick mention of what the MCX-Spear should & should not have access to (in my opinion) when it comes to customization options.

• Primary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Secondary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Barrels
    • Medium Barrel (Stock)
    • Long Barrel
  • Muzzles
    • All Muzzles optional
  • Lower
    • All Lowers optional
  • Side
    • All side mounts optional
  • Magazines
    • 10 Round Magazine
    • 20 Round Magazine (Stock)
    • 30 Round Magazine (Possibly cut out)
  • Ammunition
    • All (Gun) Ammunition Types optional

Much like some of the guns I've already suggested before, there really isn't any aftermarket parts for the MCX-Spear currently. But, the MCX-Spear is largely based on the classic M4 platform, so maybe some of the M4, 416, and other general AR type platforms could have their cosmetic options optional on the MCX-Spear if it's added.

With all of that out of the way, we bring this post to an end. I hope you like the idea of the MCX-Spear, even if maybe not in the exact same way as I proposed it. This was a rather challenging Assault Rifle to work with, mainly because 1. It's a Prototype still, and 2. There isn't a lot of information out on it currently which is most likely because it's in that development stage where things can change quite a bit. I will likely revisit this post if there is a substantial or more concrete update that is worthy of note. Spoiler alert now however, when I get to round four of Assault Rifles I will be covering the MCX-Spear's most likely closest rival in the current US Army NGSW-R program next time. But, till the next suggestion post...

Have a good one folks!

Edited by Dunabar
Mild updates
  • Like 2

8 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

This one seems very interesting. Although Sig Sauer US is fairly independent from its German sister company I still consider this to be German engineering of some kind 😄 (just joking) - so instant upvote!

Edit: Out of interest I quickly googled the MCX Spear as I was only aware of the MCX Virtus and in the two reports I found it was described to be a rather a DMR than an AR? Not entirely sure though if the sources mixed something up.

Edited by HeiligeRobbe
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2020 at 11:55 AM, HeiligeRobbe said:

This one seems very interesting. Although Sig Sauer US is fairly independent from its German sister company I still consider this to be German engineering of some kind 😄 (just joking) - so instant upvote!

I should probably add the German flag and German/American mentions in my I.D markings. I always have trouble with these kind of hybrid national weapons. Take the SCAR-SC and SCAR-H for example. The SCAR-H is technically Belgian, but the SCAR-SC concept was American based. But, the SCAR-SC is a scaled down SCAR which originated in Belgium. Yet the first SCAR-SC originated in America (I think)...(Insert hair pulling here) 😋

On 3/30/2020 at 11:55 AM, HeiligeRobbe said:

Edit: Out of interest I quickly googled the MCX Spear as I was only aware of the MCX Virtus and in the two reports I found it was described to be a rather a DMR than an AR? Not entirely sure though if the sources mixed something up.

DMR is a pretty debated term as to what is & isn't classed as a DMR. You will usually (Not always) see DMRs being weapons that use a full powered caliber of ammunition (7.62x51 NATO being a full powered caliber for example.) If the MCX-Spear used that caliber (which it can) then I would have classed it as a Battle Rifle as Battle Rifles typically use a full powered caliber of ammunition. Assault Rifles however, they typically use intermediate calibers like 5.56x45, 5.45x39, and 7.62×39mm. The MCX-Spear is able to fire 6.8x51 Sig, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7.62x51 NATO. The 6.8x51 Sig however, seems to be pitched as being classed as a hybrid intermediate caliber. as the Spear's main aim is to replace the M16/M4 family of Rifles (which as we know fires the intermediate 5.56x45 ammunition) With the right setup/usage though, the Spear could serve in a DMR role, but the same could be said for a M4 as well. It's a lot technical twists, turns, and everything in between. Ultimately I think it's a case of a weapon that skirts that line between Assault Rifles & Battle Rifles just enough to still be an Assault Rifle. But, still leave room to be argued that it's a Battle Rifle (which a Battle Rifle is just a bigger Assault Rifle.)

Correction: The U.S Army wants to trial the MCX-Spear and it's other competitors first and is not officially trying to replace the M4/M16 family of rifles. It's basically a trial run to see how well the Weapons & Ammo performs before any major changes are considered.

Edited by Dunabar
Made a info correction.

I think you can just leave it American :D that was really more of a joke. As far as I know the American Sig Sauer designs, engineers and builds its weapons entirely independent from the Germany based one.

About the term DMR you are right of course. Why I mentioned it is because both sources I've read were German and used the term "Zielfernrohrgewehr" ("Scoped rifle") or "Gruppenzielfernrohrgewehr" ("Squad based scope rifle"). The usage of a high(er) powered scope would define its role as a DMR but now that I think about it a second time I have to agree to you that this is quite irrelevant for WW3 given that the main difference between ARs and BRs is the caliber and maybe the ability to use larger magazines.

• Like 1

Yes I would love to generally see more weapon diversity in game. I think this would be a great weapon

10 hours ago, HeiligeRobbe said:

About the term DMR you are right of course. Why I mentioned it is because both sources I've read were German and used the term "Zielfernrohrgewehr" ("Scoped rifle") or "Gruppenzielfernrohrgewehr" ("Squad based scope rifle"). The usage of a high(er) powered scope would define its role as a DMR but now that I think about it a second time I have to agree to you that this is quite irrelevant for WW3 given that the main difference between ARs and BRs is the caliber and maybe the ability to use larger magazines.

Gotcha. Yeah the U.S has it's own take on what a DMR is, the Russians have their take on it, clearly the Germans have their take, and we all get to bask in a headache of ree over it 😋. I cannot speak for the Russians on what their take on a DMR is. But, in the U.S Military, a DMR is a weapon that is being used at a Squad Level to effectively engage targets out to distances that standard Rifles have trouble reaching. The DMR is of course used by the Squad's Designated Marksmen who is usually the best shooter of the Squad. I may be wrong on this of course as I've never been in the Armed Forces myself.

1 hour ago, nubbits said:

Yes I would love to generally see more weapon diversity in game. I think this would be a great weapon

Yeah always nice to have more variety. Though this is one point where I think a slightly higher TTK would actually benefit the game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dunabar said:

the U.S has it's own take on what a DMR is, the Russians have their take on it, clearly the Germans have their take

To me a DMR is kind of a "light" sniper. It's almost a sniper, but not quite. Of course, the perfect example is the EBR-14 :).

Then again, you could argue that a dragunov is also a DMR. Again, every country has their own take on it.

1 hour ago, Matt_dOvale said:

To me a DMR is kind of a "light" sniper. It's almost a sniper, but not quite. Of course, the perfect example is the EBR-14 :).

Then again, you could argue that a dragunov is also a DMR. Again, every country has their own take on it.

It's one way of looking at it, there is just a lot of variables because (again looking at the US Military) even a Bolt-Action Rifle could be a Designated Marksmen Rifle. But, in the end it's every country and every person's own take on what it is as we've all established. Though if we all want a serious headache, we can debate the terms of a Battle Rifle or a Personal Defense Weapon. 😄