Dunabar

[Weapon] Weapons that could enhance WW3 - Shotguns | MAUL

Question

Posted (edited)

Hey Folks

Took some time off to recharge my metaphorical WW3 batteries and handle some real life matters that demanded my attention (Life yo...So cruel.) Wanted to start something new, but I still have to finish my suggestions for the WW3 Metagame, my 3rd round of gun suggestions, and some other stuff. So, I figured I would start off easy and cover a Shotgun today for my 3rd round of weapon suggestions. A pretty neat little bit of Thunder from Down Under, the MAUL out of Australia.

If you wish to read other Suggestion posts I have made, click the link below. Otherwise, lets get started with the MAUL

----

Dunabar's "Master Suggestion Post Archive"

----

Contents of this post

• Section 1 - The MAUL - Real life information behind the MAUL
  • Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons - Comparing stats between current in-game Shotguns and suggested Shotguns with the MAUL.
  • Section 3 - Special Features - Special features I think the MAUL should have.
  • Section 4 - Customization - Customization options I think the MAUL should have.

----

Section 1 - The MAUL

Flag_of_Australia_(converted).svg

k2wv4pmv18831.jpg.90c430f6e2591e930a013394efcae332.jpglatest.jpeg.ad8f612a24e42c07612d2b2a95870fa6.jpeg

Standalone variant of the MAUL Shotgun with loaded tube (left) and unloaded tube (right)

Introduction & Demonstration Videos of the MAUL.

• Still looking for good videos of the MAUL, most of them right now are related to COD, and that really doesn't tickle my fancy...

Extra Information sources.

The MAUL is a lightweight, semi-automatic, electronically initiated, superposed-loaded shotgun created by the company Metal Storm out of Brisbane, Australia. The weapon comes in two forms; a standalone variant and a underslung variant which can be mounted to a weapon system that allows for it (typically an Assault Rifle or Battle Rifle.) The weapon is loaded by inserting a munition tube in the weapon barrel (think of it like loading a Muzzle Loader rifle), then is fired out of that same munition tube via an electronically initiated trigger system (IE: there is no hammer striking a primer to ignite the gunpowder to fire off the shots in the shell), and because of this electronic trigger system the MAUL is capable of firing a mixture of lethal & non-lethal ammunition.

So if the gun was to be added to the game, what playstyle would the gun favor, and most importantly where exactly would it stand when compared to the other Shotguns?

----

Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons

The Playstyle the MAUL shotgun would favor is no different from other Shotguns, by it's very nature it would favor more aggressive players. To both balance this weapon and differ it from the other Shotguns however, I would suggest a slower reload speed, higher than average hip fire spread, a reduced shot count, and I wouldn't allow it to carry 1 extra round in the tube (It's factually impossible for the gun). This would make the Shotgun favor players that are accurate shooters and not People that like to hip fire around corners. Outside of this, the MAUL should be one of the lightest shotguns around (if not thee lightest shotgun), have very little recoil, a faster firing speed than the MCS (though lower than the VEPR-12 and yes I know the two have the exact same fire rate, but I feel pretty confident that the VEPR-12's ROF is mislabeled), and as a bonus have a little bit of a noise reduction (not saying silence the weapon, just make it a little quieter than other Shotguns.)

Now, lets move on to comparing possible stats of the MAUL vs. the MCS, VEPR-12, and the suggested AA-12 & SAP-6. I made some changes to my color coding system and I think it will give a better picture than the older color coding system I was using prior to this.

• (S) - The weapon is one I have suggested but isn't actually in the game currently.
  • Cyan - Suggested Weapon is at a notable advantage compared to this Weapon
  • Green - Suggested Weapon is at a advantage compared to this Weapon
  • Yellow - Suggested Weapon is either equal, at a marginal advantage, or at a marginal disadvantage compared to this Weapon
  • Orange - Suggested Weapon is at a disadvantage compared to this Weapon
  • Red - Suggested Weapon is at a notable disadvantage compared to this Weapon

Please note:  I cannot test these stats to confirm balance, so think of these as more of a proposed starting place for testing on the PTE, and I'm comparing the stats of the weapons from a stock design against another stock design without taking customization into consideration. This is primarily to help keep the post small and avoid making a massive amount of variables to take into consideration.

Special Note: Muzzle Velocity & Bullets to Kill are not listed in game for Shotguns currently, thus I will not try to balance around these stats. However, I will not fully remove them from this post in the event that something changes.

MAUL proposed and compared stats.

• MAUL Effective ranges: 10m (24 damage.) Damage decreases at 11m - 30m (19 damage.) Damage decreases at 31m - 45m (10 damage.) Damage decreases at 46m - 75m (0 damage.)
    • MCS: 15m (24 damage.) Damage decreases at 16m - 30m (19 damage.) Damage decreases at 31m - 45m (10 damage.) Damage decreases at 46m - 75m (1 damage.)
    • VEPR-12: 15m (16-15 damage.) Damage decreases at 16m - 30m (12 damage.) Damage decreases at 31m - 45m (7 damage.) Damage decreases at 46m - 75m (0 damage.)
    • (S) AA-12: 15m (12-11 damage.) Damage decreases at 16m - 30m (9 damage.) Damage decreases at 31m - 45m (4 damage.) Damage decreases at 46m - 75m (0 damage.)
    • (S) SAP-6: 10m (24 damage.) Damage decreases at 11m - 30m (19 damage.) Damage decreases at 31m - 45m (10 damage.) Damage decreases at 46m - 75m (1 damage.)
  • MAUL Weight: 4.5
    • MCS: 8.9
    • VEPR-12: 11.4
    • (S) AA-12: 14.5
    • (S) SAP-6: 7.0
  • MAUL Recoil: 1.2
    • MCS: 2.7
    • VEPR-12: 2,0
    • (S) AA-12: 0.85
    • (S) SAP-6: 2.3
  • MAUL Spread: 0.9
    • MCS: 0.5
    • VEPR-12: 0.7
    • (S) AA-12: 0.14
    • (S) SAP-6: 0.8
  • MAUL Reload time: 2.9 Seconds
    • MCS: 2.3 Seconds
    • VEPR-12: 3.1 Seconds
    • (S) AA-12: 3.7 Seconds
    • (S) SAP-6: 1.8 Seconds
  • MAUL Rate of Fire: 425
    • MCS: 400
    • VEPR-12: 400
    • (S) AA-12: 500
    • (S) SAP-6: 350
  • MAUL Caliber12 Gauge
    • MCS: 12 Gauge
    • VEPR-12: 12 Gauge
    • (S) AA-12: 12 Gauge
    • (S) SAP-6: 12 Gauge
  • MAUL Muzzle Velocity
    • MCS:
    • VEPR-12:
    • (S) AA-12:
    • (S) SAP-6:
  • MAUL Bullets to Kill: HDPE:  / PTLN:  / Cer:  / STL:
    • MCS:
    • VEPR-12:
    • (S) AA-12:
    • (S) SAP-6:

With this out of the way we move on to special features which is going to be pretty short because there isn't a lot to cover.

----

Section 3 - Special Features

• Limited Barrel & Magazine Options - The MAUL's barrel length is determined by the munition tube put into it, that tube also determines the amount of Ammunition the MAUL can fire per-tube, and so far I haven't seen anything that suggests that the MAUL has any larger munition tubes beyond 5 stacked shells that currently come stock with it. So it should be default limited to a Short barrel & 5-round tube.
  • No Muzzle options - Again the weapon fires it's ammunition directly from the munition tube that is inserted into it, so there is really no point in having different muzzle options for the weapon as it wouldn't realistically benefit from them that I can see (I could be wrong also.) (And before you swing that "But video game" response at me, I don't even support the fact that Shotguns lose close range damage just because they use longer barrels. So "But video game" isn't going to sway me.)

----

Section 4 - Customization

Now this part will be rather quick since I don't plan to go over stats or anything like that as usual. Just a quick mention of what customization options the MAUL should and should not have access to in my opinion,

• Primary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Secondary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Barrels
    • Short Barrel (Stock)
  • Muzzles
    • None
  • Lower
    • All Lowers optional
  • Side
    • All side mounts optional
  • Magazines
    • 5 Round Magazine (Stock)
  • Ammunition
    • N/A till Shotguns get their special ammunition

As for different bodyparts for the gun itself, there doesn't seem to be anything special on offer. However, I can see the devs giving additional options for pistol grips & stocks from current weapons and maybe some custom stuff for the upper rail & lower rail to give it a little more character while also allowing for the usage of foregrips & side mount attachments. Outside of that though, nothing special.

And with that this brings another weapon suggestion post to an end. I hope everyone likes the idea of seeing the MAUL Shotgun being added to the game, even if maybe not exactly how I think it should be added. I really think the Developers should consider adding the MAUL shotgun at some point primarily because of the ability to get two entirely different uses out of it as either a Standalone Shotgun or as a Underslung attachment for certain weapons. Beyond that you have a visually unique weapon, it would require a unique loading animation because of the munition tube (small differences are nice after all!), and it gives another Nation of the world some unique representation in WW3. But, for now and till the next suggestion post...

Have a good one folks!

Edited by Dunabar
Small fix
  • Like 2

2 answers to this question

I remember there was an underslung shotgun at one point but it didn't reload properly... I imagine this may be fixed with new animations.

5 minutes ago, nubbits said:

I remember there was an underslung shotgun at one point but it didn't reload properly... I imagine this may be fixed with new animations.

Yeah that was the Six12 underslung. It was a fun little thing even though it didn't work right lol.