Dunabar

[Weapon] Weapons that could enhance WW3 - Special Weapons | M109 AMPR

Question

Posted (edited)

Hey Folks

Time to wrap up round 3 of Weapons that can enhance WW3 and today we have what almost amounts to a modern Anti-Tank Rifle (though not actually, it's closer to that of a Light Cannon than anything else.) the XM109 AMPR, or as I'm simply calling it for the sake of the post & degree of realism, the M109 AMPR. A nasty prototype weapon created from the Barrett M82 or the U.S M107 .50 BMG and is even stronger in terms of damage dealing capability than the M82/M107. But, that is enough bla bla!

If you wish to read other Suggestion posts I have made, click the link below. Otherwise, lets get started with the M109 AMPR.

----

Dunabar's "Master Suggestion Post Archive"

----

Contents of this post

• Section 1 - The M109 AMPR - Real life information behind the M109 AMPR.
  • Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons - Comparing stats between current in-game Special Weapons and suggested Special Weapons with the M109 AMPR.
  • Section 3 - Special Features - Special features I think the M109 AMPR should have.
  • Section 4 - Customization - Customization options I think the M109 AMPR should have.

----

Section 1 - The M109 AMPR

Flag_of_the_United_States.svg

latest?cb=20170203141750

Introduction & Demonstration Videos of the M109 AMPR.

- Still looking for videos over this Weapon.

Extra Information sources.

The Semi-Automatic XM109 AMPR, formerly known as the Objective Sniper Weapon (OSW), is a prototype Anti-Material Rifle/Grenade Launcher created by Barrett Firearms Manufacturing (X being a marking for a weapon being a prototype in the U.S Military.) It's design was based on the battle proven M82/M107 Anti-Material Rifle, using largely the same design makeup to create the XM109 AMPR with the largest change being to the upper receiver to allow the weapon system to chamber the 25x59mm Grenade Round that it fires. The 25x59mm Grenade Rounds currently come in two primary types, High Explosive & Armor-Piercing. However, this ammunition is the same as the cancelled XM307 ACSW (Advanced Crew Served Weapon) project which was designed around creating a 25mm automatic grenade launcher that fired smart airburst munitions. This means that, in theory, the XM109 AMPR can also fire Airburst rounds as well, which when partnered up with the BORS (Barrett Optical Ranging System) ballistic computer, could mean that the XM109 AMPR can accurately place airburst attacks on target wherever the shooter needs them. But, this is a theory right now and overall the current XM109 AMPR Project is currently in a state of Unknown. The project hasn't been officially cancelled nor adopted. When last updated, Barrett was researching ways to reduce the massive recoil of the weapon as the last registry of it was considered beyond Human limitation.

So, if the weapon was to be added to the game, what playstyle would the gun favor, and most importantly where exactly would it stand when compared to generally similar Special Weapons?

----

Section 2 - Favored Playstyle & Stat Comparisons

If added to the game, the M109 AMPR should serve as a bridge between Precision Sniper Rifles & Special Weapons that favors Defensive players above all else. It's damage should stand somewhere between the TOR & RPG-7, though more towards the TOR above all else. Against enemy Infantry, the AMPR should be deadly on direct impact, and have a small 1.5 to 2.5 meter splash damage radius when using it's stock HEDP rounds (It is firing a grenade round larger than .50 BMG after all.) Against enemy Vehicles the damage should obviously vary between the types. But, AFVs & MBTs should only be damaged by the AMPR if the weapon hits them in the rear with HEDP rounds or if it's using AP rounds for everywhere else. To balance out this weapon it should be Heavy, one of the weaker special weapons (in terms of general damage), high recoil & modest spread to dissuade spam firing, small ammo pool, and should be treated as a AMR (Anti-Material Rifle) which requires players to go Prone before they can ADS with the weapon. In turn the Player gets what amounts to a free (BP cost wise) Light Cannon that can be suppressed, placed wherever they feel is best to take up a position in, doesn't generate a smoke trail back to them, allows some the ability to fire rounds in fairly quick succession for moderately quick multi-hits, and reload the weapon without needing to return to the deployment zone of their team via the Ammunition or Equipment Bag.

Now, lets move on to comparing possible stats of the  M109 AMPR vs. the RPG-7 and the suggested GM-94 & Spike. I made some changes to my color coding system and I think it will give a better picture than the older color coding system I was using prior to this.

• (S) - The weapon is one I have suggested but isn't actually in the game currently.
  • Cyan - Suggested Weapon is at a notable advantage compared to this Weapon
  • Green - Suggested Weapon is at a advantage compared to this Weapon
  • Yellow - Suggested Weapon is either equal, at a marginal advantage, or at a marginal disadvantage compared to this Weapon
  • Orange - Suggested Weapon is at a disadvantage compared to this Weapon
  • Red - Suggested Weapon is at a notable disadvantage compared to this Weapon

Please note:  I cannot test these stats to confirm balance, so think of these as more of a proposed starting place for testing on the PTE, and I'm comparing the stats of the weapons from a stock design against another stock design without taking customization into consideration. This is primarily to help keep the post small and avoid making a massive amount of variables to take into consideration.

AMPR proposed and compared stats.

• AMPR Weight: 31.00
    • RPG-7: 16.8
    • (S) GM-94: 17.50
    • (S) Spike: 28.00
  • AMPR Recoil: 0.8
    • RPG-7: 6.0
    • (S) GM-94: 3.0
    • (S) Spike: 0.1
  • AMPR Spread: 0.4
    • RPG-7: 1.5
    • (S) GM-94: 2.0
    • (S) Spike: 0.8
  • AMPR Reload time: 3.3
    • RPG-7: 3.3 Seconds
    • (S) GM-94: 4.0 Seconds
    • (S) Spike: Doesn't reload
  • AMPR Rate of Fire: 80
    • RPG-7: 60
    • (S) GM-94: 130
    • (S) Spike: 1
  • AMPR Caliber: 25x59mm
    • RPG-7: 40mm
    • (S) GM-94: 43mm
    • (S) Spike: Tandem-Charge HEAT
  • AMPR Muzzle Velocity: 460 m/s
    • RPG-7: 300 m/s
    • (S) GM-94: 100 m/s
    • (S) Spike: 150 m/s

With this out of the way we move on to special features which is going to be some what short

----

Section 3 - Special Features

• 25x59mm Munitions - This special Grenade round is all the M109 AMPR fires and should only come in Fragmentation, High Explosive Dual Purpose, and Armor Piercing.
  • Anti-Material Rifle - Should require players to be Prone before being able to shoot while Aiming Down Sight (ADS) just like the TOR will.
  • Three Full Magazines - The M109 AMPR should only have three full magazines (15 rounds in Total) of either Fragmentation, HEDP, or AP.
  • Unique Muzzle Brake & Suppressor - Because the M109 AMPR has a unique Muzzle Brake & Suppressor in real life, the AMPR in game should have them as well to offer some degree of differences.
  • Airburst Munitions - Should the Developers add some form of Airburst munitions in the future to certain weapons, the M109 AMPR should be one of the weapons considered for the Airburst munitions as well for increased flexibility
  • Caliber Conversion - Should the Developers add Caliber Conversion in the game, the M109 AMPR could be converted back down to a standard M82/M107 AMR (Barrett .50 for those that don't know the designations) or visa versa if they want to make the M107 instead of the M109.

----

Section 4 - Customization

Now this part will be rather quick since I don't plan to go over stats or anything like that. Just a quick mention of what customization options the M109 AMPR should and should not have access to in my opinion,

• Primary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Secondary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Barrels
    • Medium Barrel (Stock)
  • Muzzles
    • M109 Muzzle Brake (Stock)
    • M109 Suppressor
  • Lowers
    • Bipods only (It's a AMR, no point in offering the other Lowers.)
  • Side
    • All sides optional
  • Magazines
    • 5 Rounds (Stock)
  • Ammunition
    • Fragmentation - Anti-Personnel focused rounds.
    • High Explosive Dual Purpose  - Balanced Anti-Personnel & Vehicle rounds. (Stock)
    • Armor Piercing - Anti-Vehicle focused rounds.

As for bodyparts there is nothing to add since the weapon is still a Prototype. But, the Developers can always get creative with it if they like.

And with that out of the way we're done. I hope everyone likes the idea of the M109 AMPR being added to the game, even if not exactly how I suggest adding it. It's rather tricky to find a variety of weapons in this particular category just like Battle Rifles & Precision Sniper Rifles. There is only so many ways one can differ things that explode, or are used to destroy Vehicles, or lob grenades into a target area, and etc etc...Mainly because of both realistic Human limitations & Technological limitations. But, this will wrap up round 3 of Weapons that could enhance WW3. I'm going to take a little break from these posts after this, mainly to get some other suggestions squared away, wrap up my suggestions for the WW3 Metagame, and some other stuff. So, till I see you at the next suggestion post and the future 4th round of Weapons that can enhance WW3...

Have a good one folks!

Edited by Dunabar
Small fix to special features for Caliber conversion
  • Like 1

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet