Dunabar

[Weapon] Weapons that could enhance WW3 - Light Machine Guns | RPL-20

Question

Hey Folks

Time for a Machine Gun to get the spot light this time around and we make a return to Russian Weaponry for a new prototype LMG. I figured I suggested a prototype Assault Rifle in the form of the American (🇺🇸) RM277, so why not a Russian prototype LMG in a caliber that we do not have a LMG in? It's almost as if I'm stretching the differences of weapons to find a justification for these weapon suggestion posts (which I kind of am. When variety is lacking/just isn't there on offer...it's just lacking/isn't there on offer...) But! All the same, today we will talk about the RPL-20!

If you would like to read other suggestion posts I have made, click the link down below where I keep links to pretty much ALL of my suggestion posts I have made for WW3. Otherwise, lets get started on the RPL-20!

----

Dunabar's "Master Suggestion Post Archive"

----

Contents of this post

• Section 1 - The RPL-20 - Real life information behind the Weapon
  • Section 2 - Strengths & Weaknesses of the RPL-20 - What the strengths & weaknesses of the Weapon should be.
  • Section 3 - Customization Options - What customization options should be open to the Weapon.

----

Section 1 - The RPL-20

Kalashnikov-Concern-RPL-20-LMG-3.jpg&f=1

• Country of Origin: Russia 🇷🇺
  • Manufacturer: Kalashnikov Concern
  • Predecessor: None
  • Weapon type: Light Machine Gun
  • Weapon Caliber (Primary): 5.45x39mm
  • Weapon Calibers (Alternatives): None
  • Weight: 12 LB or 5.44 KG
  • Capacity: 100
  • Operators: None - Prototype Weapon targeted at unofficially replacing the RPK-74(M) of Russia 🇷🇺

Web Sources

Video Sources

Summary: The RPL-20 was created by Kalashnikov concerns as a means of providing the Russian Military, a belt-fed weapon that could fire the standard 5.45x39 Russian intermediate caliber round at a more practical rate of fire compared the RPK Weapons, and supplement (NOT REPLACE) current heavier PK Machine Guns used to provide suppressing fire. It was also designed to provide Russia a intermediate, light machine gun to rival the likes of the venerable, Belgian FN MInimi using an entirely different design rather than the ubiquitous Kalashnikov-pattern rifle formula. Outside of the intermediate caliber, the RPL-20 fires at a estimated 600 RPMs, weighs 11-12 pounds or 4.98 - 5.44 kilograms, and apparently has two different length quick-change barrels ranging from a confirmed short barrel to a unconfirmed, but most likely, medium length barrel. Overall there isn't too much the say about the RPL-20, Kalashnikov Concerns have not released all that much information behind the weapon, and suspect the weapon will stay in development for another 2-3 years.

So, what would the strengths, weaknesses, and stats be of the RPL-20 if it was to be added to the game?

----

Section 2 - Strengths & Weaknesses of the RPL-20

In this section I'm going to cover what I think the Strengths of the RPL-20  should be, what Weaknesses it should have, and finally what I think it's basic stats should be upon entering the PTE servers for testing. In regards to the stats, I will be proposing them from a stock weapon perspective (IE: no attachments/modifications.) This is being done both to keep the post relatively on the small side & not give me a headache in the process of making it. Much like the RM277 post I did however, the RPL-20 is indeed a prototype weapon, and thus a lot of things could change between today & 2-3 years from now. So, I'm largely going to be winging it from here on out.

RPL-20 Strengths

1. Lightweight LMG - One of the major selling points of the RPL-20 is it's lightweight design, so the weapon should be on the lighter weight side of the LMG spectrum.
  2. 5.45x39mm Ammunition - The RPL-20 (currently) only fires the 5.45x39mm Ammunition and so far we do not have any LMGs in this caliber.
  3. Low Recoil - From the demonstration video provided by Kalashnikov Concerns, the RPL-20 seems to have very low recoil.
  4. (Benefit) Low Rate of Fire - By having a lower rate of fire, the RPL-20 would ideally be much easier to handle for players that are not very good at reeling in the higher RPM weapons.
  5. (Situational) Quick Change Barrels - If LMGs ever have to change barrels in WW3 after shooting a certain amount of ammunition, the RPL-20 would be one of those guns that needs it. But, it could be one the faster barrel changes as it doesn't seem to have a lot getting in the way of making that change.

Now we move on to weaknesses to help balance out this LMG.

RPL-20 Weaknesses

1. (Drawback) Low Rate of Fire - By having a lower rate of fire, weapons that are more accurate, faster, and even possibly stronger will easily be able to outpace the RPL-20
  2. Weaker than the average LMG - By shooting the smaller caliber of ammunition, the RPL-20 will of course naturally be a less powerful LMG in terms of damage per hit.
  3. Low long range Precision - While a Low Recoil and a Lower Rate of Fire can help improve a weapon's accuracy, there is a lot of different elements involved in making a weapon have great precision capability. So, the one area where I think the RPL-20 can be balanced out is in it's long range game where it should struggle through the sheer fact it's not a deliberate precision weapon like a PSR. That said though...with low recoil, low rate of fire, and good trigger discipline...A player may be able to overcome the lack of precision.
  4. Limited Barrel Lengths - The RPL-20 should be limited to only a Short Barrel & Medium Barrel with the Medium Barrel of course being the stock barrel.
  5. Fully Automatic only - Like most LMGs the RPL-20 has only one fire mode and that is fully automatic (And no "Safe" is not a fire mode option, that's a Anti-Darwin Award Feature.)
  6. Terrible Hip-Fire - It's a LMG...LMGs are not suppose to have good hip-fire.
  7. (Situational) Quick Change Barrels - If LMGs ever have to change barrels in WW3 after shooting a certain amount of ammunition, the RPL-20 is one of those guns that will need to change barrels at some point.

With both Strengths & Weaknesses out of the way, I think the PTE stats for the RPL-20 should look something like this-

RPL-20 basic PTE stats proposal

• RPL-20 Effective ranges: 0 - 105m (32 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (29 damage)
  • RPL-20 Weight: 14.8
  • RPL-20 Recoil: 0.42
  • RPL-20 Spread: 0.40
  • RPL-20 Reload time: 6.4 Seconds
  • RPL-20 Rate of Fire: 600
  • RPL-20 Caliber: 5,45x39mm
  • RPL-20 Muzzle Velocity: 880 m/s
  • RPL-20 Bullets to Kill: HDPE: 4 / PTLN: 5 / Cer: 7 / STL: 8

----

Section 3 - Customization Options

This part will be pretty quick because I won't be covering stats, just what modifications & cosmetics the RPL-20 should have access to..

Modifications

• Primary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Secondary Sights
    • All Secondary Sights optional
  • Barrels
    • Medium Barrel (Stock)
    • Short Barrel
  • Muzzles
    • All Muzzles optional
  • Side
    • All Side Mounts optional
  • Magazines
    • 100 Round Soft Pouch
  • Ammunition
    • FMJ
    • HP
    • AP

Cosmetics

The RPL-20 is a new weapon still in development, so no aftermarket parts currently. That said of course as usual, if the Developers want to get creative, they're welcome to do so. Though I don't think being able to change the Pistol grip at the very least would be all that big of a deal, just saying. :)

----

And with all of that out of the way, we bring this post to an end. I hope everyone really likes the idea of seeing the RPL-20 added to the game, even if maybe not exactly how I pitched it. This was a bit of a easy/lazy pick since it was both new and we didn't have a 5.45x39mm firing LMG in the game. But, honestly, if it wasn't for someone posting a video in the WW3 Discord, I wouldn't have even known about this weapon. So, props to Ezraslac on Discord for posting the video that brought this to my attention. Anyways, I probably didn't do all that well in the "balance" department on this weapon suggestion post. Buuut...in my defense the Weapon is still in development (kind of the price to pay for suggesting prototype weapons) and I'm not actually in charge of making sure weapons are balanced to begin with. 🤣 So, till the next suggestion post where I will either cover a Battle Rifle or Special weapon next (haven't made up my mind on it...)

Have a good one folks!

• Like 2

2 answers to this question

2 часа назад, Dunabar сказал:

RPL-20 Effective ranges: 0 - 105m (32 damage.)

I object. Vepr-18 has possible 3 BTK with same 5.45x39 cartridge. It balances it relatively inaccurate furing and only 30 rounds magazines. All weapons with RoF less than 640 have possible 3 BTK. 

With 600 RoF even 100 rounds belt wouldn't compensate gap in DPS in comparison with " normal" ARs.

6 hours ago, tynblpb said:

I object. Vepr-18 has possible 3 BTK with same 5.45x39 cartridge. It balances it relatively inaccurate furing and only 30 rounds magazines. All weapons with RoF less than 640 have possible 3 BTK. 

With 600 RoF even 100 rounds belt wouldn't compensate gap in DPS in comparison with " normal" ARs.

I'm using the VEPR-18's in game stats for the effective ranges, caliber (sort of a given of course), and the BTK. The Devs could always change the RoF and other stats of the RPL-20 to upgrade/downgrade it where they need to. The 600 ROF I listed was due in part because 600 RPMs is the only number I saw listed for the RPL-20 (I may have missed something of course! :) )