tynblpb

Gunplay. My thoughts 2(almost) years later.

Posted (edited)

So, almost a year has passed. Again.

https://forum.worldwar3.com/index.php?/topic/8563-gunplay-my-thoughts/&tab=comments#comment-41607

https://forum.worldwar3.com/index.php?/topic/11625-gunplay-my-thoughts-1-year-later/

Here was a longread, but realizing I'm almost repeating what was in linked themes I decided I'll  try to make it as brief as possible.

Ur point of aim returns to the point where the latest action has taken place(LMB click or mouse movement) PLUS the migration caused by Sway.

1682550586_singlefiresway.gif.f66098c4e25ea0a726d0e21fa568c1fc.gif

Sway is greatly reduced when u lying down and it's ATM the only way to more or less exclude it from the "formula".

When lying down with right loadout we can go for consecutive shots that will land into the same spot.(AK Alpha😭).

And how fast we will be able to shoot depends on the weapon's recoil and what loadout we made to compensate that recoil. The higher is recoil -> the more time is needed for crosshair to return to the starting point -> the less frequently we can press LMB -> the less is DPS.

If u r pressing LMB faster than point of aim returns to the initial position - u will see it's moving upwards and to the sides. The only way to reduce the required time for point of aim "restoration" is to manually compensate it with ur hand movement.

On the pic below(max horizontal recoil reducing loadout) we see the shooting when we let the crosshair to return to initial point(1). When we press LMB faster  - we see "ascending" hitmarks (2). And the (3) and (4) is how it looks like when we try to compensate it with mouse movement.

20210311002209_1.thumb.jpg.be313cd0d4931c5820bacc41ea8a80cb.jpg

Obviously, the less is vertical recoil - the easier is to compensate it with ur hand movement. Long Barrel having  -0.2 Vertical Recoil in their stats give ATM significant advantage when shooting both single-fire and full-auto. To "balance" it there was illogical shorter barrel - higher dmg system introduced. And if earlier Long Barrels were must-have, now it's almost always Short barrels.

I don't know what was done to "fix" this, so here is what I'm suggesting:

Long barrel - Higher, Short barrel - lower initial dmg.

Recoil is now EQUAL for all barrels. Justification: higher bullet impulse compensates the long barrel heavier weight. And vice versa for Short barrel. 

We are adding  momentum to a list of properties for barrels and silencers as the heaviest muzzle devices.

Momentum affects: equip time, ADS time and finally newly added feature "point of aim time to return". The latter shows us how fast after the shot our crosshair will return to the initial point of aim. For Short barrel it will be decreased time. Standard for Medium. And increased for Long barrel. Justification: barrel is moving upwards because of recoil, backwards -with ur muscles. The heavier is barrel - the more force u need to apply to make it moving, the more time it will take.

From previous themes - Long barrel have increased horizontal recoil when shooting full auto. Medium has no downsides. Short barrel has increased muzzle flash that is affecting visibility when using scopes with magnification.

How I see it working.

Long barrel. Increased equip and ADS time means that we can't run'n'gun in CQC depending on our twitch aim and reflexes. We are slowing ourselves down and come into fights prepared and mb even ADSing already. Our higher initial dmg is balanced by increased horizontal recoil in full-auto and on long distances we aren't shooting full-auto as the dispersion is higher than we wish for it to be. Thus we are kinda forced to switch to single-fire modes or use max horizontal recoil reducing loadouts by the cost of increased vertical recoil that we now have to compensate manually.  LMGs, having no single-fire modes, will be forced to use bipods -> making them stationary targets. Less LMG run'n'gunning, more or less fixing current LMG meta. When switching to single-fire mode on the scene appear newly added momentum for barrels and silencers. Having the equal recoil for all types of barrels, the Time for crosshair To Return to initial point of aim (TTR) will be increased for Long barrel, intact for Medium and decreased for Short barrel. Basically it will mean that Long Barreled weapons will be "heavy punchers" that will land heavy hits with their increased dmg but TTR will affect the recoil by increasing the time between the consecutive shots. Or u can compensate it with ur hand movement and this is the room for showing ur skillz. Short barrel with decreased TTR will be able to shoot more faster, but dealing significantly less dmg per hit. With Medium barrel being in-between. 

recoilvsmomentum.jpg.b1b116285a1698c810a9e7e18898b254.jpg

Silencers having momentum will increase TTR, equip time and ADS time. Justification: weight. And now there will be room for flash-hiders, that don't have any advantage over the silencers. SO, attaching silencers u will have completely removed muzzle flash, but in the same time it will cost u equip time. And if  for LMG with increased equip time and Long barrel it will not be that important, if u r using Short barreled AR/SMG for CQC, u will have to think about what u'll gain aand what u'll loss. Moreover if u will attach Silencer to get rid of flash and go with Short barrel for Long Distance "hunting". Increased TTR will worsen the ability to make consecutive shots and with decreased dmg u again will be forced to think about gain and loss.

I hope it is the last time I'm creating a theme with my thoughts regarding gunplay and its mechanics in WW3 and in the next year we will have it completed and working.

Edited by tynblpb