Dunabar

[Weapon] Weapons that could enhance WW3 - Battle Rifles | G3

Question

Posted (edited)

Hey Folks

Had some real life matters demand my attention before I could get around to wrapping up my 4th round of Weapons that could enhance WW3 and today I thought I would revisit an old Weapon that I suggested long ago - not that nobody else has suggested this weapon before. It's massively popular as one of only two Cold War Era Battle Rifles that really still see's noteworthy use on the modern battlefield and that is the popular German G3 Rifle. Won't bore you with a lot of chit chat now, I have a special weapon to get to before I can start a new series of suggestion posts of sorts. So, lets get to it!

If you would like to read other suggestion posts I have made, click the link down below where I keep links to pretty much ALL of my suggestion posts I have made for WW3. Otherwise, lets get started on the G3!

----

Dunabar's "Master Suggestion Post Archive"

----

Contents of this post

• Section 1 - The G3 - Real life information behind the Weapon
  • Section 2 - Strengths & Weaknesses of the G3 - What the strengths & weaknesses of the Weapon should be.
  • Section 3 - Customization Options - What customization options should be open to the Weapon.

----

Section 1 - The G3

rscb3-1

• Country of Origin: Germany (West Germany to be more specific) 🇩🇪
  • Manufacturer: Heckler & Koch (Original)
  • Predecessor: CETME 58
  • Weapon type: Battle Rifle
  • Weapon Caliber (Primary): 7.62x51mm NATO
  • Weapon Calibers (Alternatives): None
  • Weight: 9.7 LB or 4.4kg (Empty)
  • Capacity: 20 Round Standard Magazine
  • Operators: Over 40+ Countries use this weapon in some shape or form. Some of the most notable include Germany 🇩🇪, Norway 🇳🇴, Sweden 🇸🇪, Greece 🇬🇷, Iran 🇮🇷, Syria 🇸🇾, United Kingdom 🇬🇧, Indonesia 🇮🇩, Portugal 🇵🇹, Mexico 🇲🇽, and others.

Web Sources

Video Sources

Summary: The German G3 Rifle is a bit of strange tale during the Cold War era. Germany purchases 1000 FN FALs from Belgium, basically wanted to license build them in Germany, the Belgians were not very fond of this idea which caused Germany to go back to the drawing board...Germany then turned to Spain which was busy working on the CETME Rifle (A weapon inspired by the French CEAM Modèle 1950) and Spain was also a bit hesitant with Germany (Keep in mind this all took place after WW2.) Eventually a deal would be struck between Germany & Spain and Germany would go on to start developing the G3 Rifle using the CETME 58 as the basis for it's design. This would then pave the way for Germany to develop one of the few, if not only, Cold War era Battle Rifles that actually still serves a considerable role on modern battlefields when so many others are either no longer being used at all, are reserved for Ceremonial usage, kept in Reserve storage, or some other non-frontline combat usage. The weapon has beyond proven reliable, it's simple to make (by firearm manufacturing standards of simple), inexpensive, easy to field strip & clean, and just overall generally keeps going even while getting roughed up. Plus as a benefit for those shooting the weapon, the side folding charging handle doesn't slide back with each shot (IE: It's non-reciprocating), and for H&K fans you're fully encouraged to slap that charging handle when loading a magazine.

So, what would the strengths, weaknesses, and stats be of the G3 if it was to be added to the game?

----

Section 2 - Strengths & Weaknesses of the G3

In this section I'm going to cover what I think the Strengths of the G3  should be, what Weaknesses it should have, and finally what I think it's basic stats should be upon entering the PTE servers for testing. In regards to the stats, I will be proposing them from a stock weapon perspective (IE: no attachments/modifications.) This is being done both to keep the post relatively on the small side & not give me a headache in the process of making it.

G3 Strengths

1. Good Muzzle Velocity - The G3's Muzzle Velocity should sit just below the 417 at it's realistic 800 m/s, making the G3 better at longer ranges which is an accurate representation of the real life Characteristics of the Rifle.
  2. Higher End Rate of Fire - To make the G3 standard apart from the SCAR & 417, I would suggest giving the G3 a higher rate of fire to give it a better CQC advantage over the Battle Rifles. However, higher rate of fire + full powered cartridge does mean that recoil needs to be significantly higher (which is accurate to the G3's real life characteristics.) So while the G3 would be best suited to keeping engagements at those Semi-Automatic preferred distances, it can at least fall back on it's higher ROF when the fighting gets too uncomfortably close for Semi-automatic fire. Not ideal, but rather for emergency situations.
  3. Great Magazine Options - Further adding to the difference between the SCAR, 417, & the G3 if it was added to the game. The G3 should have a wider field of magazine options given the weapon has been around longer, so naturally it's had more customization options created for it, and etc. Aside from the normal 10 & 20 Round Magazines, it should also have access to a 30 round magazine, 40 round magazine, 50 Drum Magazine, and a massive 100 round Drum Magazine for the weapon. This would allow the G3 to be in a unique position to either be used as the stereotypical Battle Rifle, Marksmen Rifle, Carbine, Heavy Automatic Rifle, or GPMG depending on how it's setup. Of course the larger the magazine, the larger the drawbacks the weapon would of course suffer because of it.

Now we move on to weaknesses to help balance out this Battle Rifle.

G3 Weaknesses

1. Low full auto precision - Much like the SCAR, the G3's full auto fire mode should not really be a ideal fire mode to flip the weapon into unless the weapon has been tailored towards such usage. While the G3 can be pressed into service to act like a GPMG, Heavy Automatic Rifle, or Heavy CQC Carbine, the weapon really isn't that reliable in close-quarters and isn't a purpose built GPMG. So it's full auto effectiveness should not come in the form of accuracy, but rather volume of fire (aka putting a lot of lead in the air.)
  2. Higher end Recoil - The G3 packs a punch and that punch doesn't come without recoil naturally. To further meet the characteristics of the G3, it's vertical recoil should be higher compared to the current Battle Rifles in game.
  3. (Developer discretion) 12 Pound Trigger Pull - One of the most common complaints about the G3 is related to it's 12 Pound trigger, which was an intentional design of the weapon made by H&K at the request from several different Nations in regards to preventing accidental discharges should the weapon be dropped. To mimic this usage of greater pull to make the weapon fire, there should be a small 0.2 to about 0.4 delay when shooting in either Semi-Automatic fire or burst firing in full auto, sort of like how Bullpups experience a delay when firing in 3-round burst. This makes it harder to semi-auto spam fire and demands better aiming on the part of the user.
  4. Heavy Weight - The G3 was designed with heavier parts in mind to help minimize the wear & tear the larger caliber round would have on the weapon. It was also a time when Nations were less concerned about Weapon weight as well, so a bit of a by product of the time, and while efforts were made to reduce the weight of the G3. The weapon is still a pretty hefty gun by our modern standards, so when compared to the SCAR & 417, the G3 should be the heavier of the three Rifles.

With both Strengths & Weaknesses out of the way, I think the PTE stats for the G3 should look something like this-

G3 basic PTE stats proposal

• G3 Effective ranges: 0 - 105m (40 damage.) Damage decreases at 106m - 135m (32 damage)
  • G3 Weight: 20.5
  • G3 Recoil: 0.97
  • G3 Spread: 0.48
  • G3 Reload time: 4.0 Seconds
  • G3 Rate of Fire: 600
  • G3 Caliber: 7.62x51 NATO
  • G3 Muzzle Velocity: 800 m/s
  • G3 Bullets to Kill: HDPE: 3 / PTLN: 4 / Cer: 4 / STL: 5

----

Section 3 - Customization Options

This part will be pretty quick because I won't be covering stats, just what modifications & cosmetics the G3 should have access to..

Modifications

• Primary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Secondary Sights
    • All Secondary Sights optional
  • Barrels
    • Long Barrel
    • Medium Barrel (Stock)
    • Short Barrel
  • Muzzles
    • All Muzzles optional
  • Side
    • All Side Mounts optional
  • Magazines
    • 100 Round Drum Magazine
    • 50 Round Drum Magazine
    • 40 Round Stick Mag (Steel)
    • 40 Round Stick Mag (Polymer)
    • 30 Round Stick Mag (Steel)
    • 30 Round Stick Mag (Polymer)
    • 20 Round Stick Mag (Stock) (Steel)
    • 20 Round Stick Mag (Polymer)
    • 10 Round Stick Mag (Steel)
    • 10 Round Stick Mag (Polymer)
  • Ammunition
    • FMJ
    • HP
    • AP

Cosmetics

With the G3 serving so many different countries, it's really not surprising that there would be a decent bit of customization that would go into the weapon when so many different Nations use it. I'm sure there is more than what I listed. But, the list was starting to get huge.

Overall it seems the developers have plenty they can work with and we could theoretically get different weapons in everything but name out of the G3. Such as the MC51 which is a UK Machine Carbine born from the G3, both the Norwegian AG-3F1 and AG-3F2 variants of the G3, the Swedish AK4, and naturally the PSG-1. Maybe even the Spanish CETME Rifle as well, though I will need to do deeper research on that when I'm not burning the late night oil.

----

And with all of that out of the way, we bring this post to an end. I hope everyone really likes the idea of seeing the G3 added to the game, even if maybe not exactly how I pitched it. Battle Rifles are (as I have stated before) rather tricky to make suggestion posts for. Many of them are not all that different from others aside from general looks, where they're from, and from time to time the customization options they have. I did make a mistake though the first time I suggested this weapon. I said that it should have a 3 round burst fire mode..this is technically incorrect as the G3 has no burst fire option. BUT! It's trigger mechanism does allow for that 4th fire mode to be added to the gun if someone wanted it, which was seen through the German (🇩🇪) HK21 as an example. But, that is all enough for now, the hour is growing excessively late, and I have another post to make. Till the next weapon suggestion post~

Have a good one folks!

PS: Will make any fixes/post corrections after I rest. I didn't know when I would lose my progress on this post, so I wanted to get it out A.S.A.P before it happened.

Edited by Dunabar

6 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

IMO 100 round magazines (betamags?) is kinda over the top. One of the strongest points of BRs in WW3 that actually allows them to be usable in CQC is accuracy when hipfiring. If u will be able to go full-auto for ~10 secs with comparable to ARs RoF  and typical BR accuracy nobody will:

1.Use 20 rounds mags.

2. Use LMGs.

3.Go ADS when shooting full-auto.

4. Previously suggested ASh-12.7 will die in vain.

Trigger delay, equip/lift-up and ADS time should be made rly big/long to stop this gun from being the ideal pub-stomper on TDM and in CQC.

IMO - 40 rounders, no more.

Edited by tynblpb

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, tynblpb said:

IMO 100 round magazines (betamags?) is kinda over the top. One of the strongest points of BRs in WW3 that actually allows them to be usable in CQC is accuracy when hipfiring. If u will be able to go full-auto for ~10 secs with comparable to ARs RoF  and typical BR accuracy nobody will:

Covered

12 hours ago, Dunabar said:
  • Low full auto precision - Much like the SCAR, the G3's full auto fire mode should not really be a ideal fire mode to flip the weapon into unless the weapon has been tailored towards such usage. While the G3 can be pressed into service to act like a GPMG, Heavy Automatic Rifle, or Heavy CQC Carbine, the weapon really isn't that reliable in close-quarters and isn't a purpose built GPMG. So it's full auto effectiveness should not come in the form of accuracy, but rather volume of fire (aka putting a lot of lead in the air.)
  • Higher end Recoil - The G3 packs a punch and that punch doesn't come without recoil naturally. To further meet the characteristics of the G3, it's vertical recoil should be higher compared to the current Battle Rifles in game.

1.Use 20 rounds mags.

We already know the higher capacity magazines have their drawbacks, so theoretically there would still be a reason for People to use the smaller magazines. The 100rd Betamags could add substantial weight, be limited to 2 magazines, have a naturally very slow reload, reduced ads speed, and such. So, options are there for balancing. Of course though, if it proves too hard to balance, there is always the option to throw the 100 round mags out completely.

2. Use LMGs.

A purpose built LMG should ideally always be in a position to be a better LMG compared to a Battle Rifle pressed into such a role. The ideal weakness of the G3 is the mid-range game...where full auto is still not really viable for it and it's Semi-Automatic fire mode (which could have that small delay that I mentioned in the post) would have to compete with weapons that are now in viable full auto range. The LMGs would likely rip the G3 apart through sheer purpose built accuracy at that mid-range.

3.Go ADS when shooting full-auto.

And would likely have even worse accuracy because of it...Full auto is a double edge sword for the G3. Yes, it would ideally have a fairly high ROF compared to the other Battle Rifles. BUT! That ROF would be coupled with low precision and higher end recoil. So the G3 user would ideally be better served ADSing than full-auto hip-firing.

4. Previously suggested ASh-12.7 will die in vain.

Till the ASh-12.7 two taps someone in the body or one taps them in the head.

Trigger delay, equip/lift-up and ADS time should be made rly big/long to stop this gun from being the ideal pub-stomper on TDM and in CQC.

IMO - 40 rounders, no more.

Without being able to test it, I cannot say for sure how long the trigger delay needs to actually be. So..Yeah.

Ultimately I leave it to the developers. If they can balance the 100 round mags, great. If they can't, remove it from the G3.

Edited by Dunabar

6 часов назад, Dunabar сказал:

Higher end Recoil - The G3 packs a punch and that punch doesn't come without recoil naturally. To further meet the characteristics of the G3, it's vertical recoil should be higher compared to the current Battle Rifles in game

I was talking about spread though. Take SCAR-H with its awful recoil and try hipfiring. U will see, that with BR's low spread u can go for headshots on 20m distances.

1 hour ago, tynblpb said:

I was talking about spread though. Take SCAR-H with its awful recoil and try hipfiring. U will see, that with BR's low spread u can go for headshots on 20m distances.

I did the test and I was convinced enough to increase the G3s Spread from 0.35 to 0.48, This makes the G3's spread higher than the current builds of the-

• SCAR: 0.2
  • 417: 0.14
  • Pecheng: 0.35
  • UKM: 0.3
  • MG5: 0.25

With this increase in Spread, plus the higher end recoil, and the higher Rate of Fire. The G3 is probably now going to outline more enemies when being hip fired than actually hitting them. That said however, I still didn't find landing headshots at 20m while hip firing to be reliable, and ultimately still would have rather just ADS.

Posted (edited)
28 минут назад, Dunabar сказал:

I did the test and I was convinced enough to increase the G3s Spread from 0.35 to 0.48, This makes the G3's spread higher than the current builds of the-

• SCAR: 0.2
  • 417: 0.14
  • Pecheng: 0.35
  • UKM: 0.3
  • MG5: 0.25

With this increase in Spread, plus the higher end recoil, and the higher Rate of Fire. The G3 is probably now going to outline more enemies when being hip fired than actually hitting them. That said however, I still didn't find landing headshots at 20m while hip firing to be reliable, and ultimately still would have rather just ADS.

Okay, I'm officially blind and dumb. I somehow skipped the part with stats when reading the first post. My assumption s were based on 0.2-0.25 spread that is "typical" for BRs in WW3.S ry for bothering.

Edited by tynblpb

6 minutes ago, tynblpb said:

Okay, I'm officially blind and dumb. I somehow skipped the part with stats when reading the first post. My assumption s were based on 0.2-0.25 spread that is "typical" for BRs in WW3.S ry for bothering.

Accidents happen and I'm prone to overlooking things also. So, no judgement. 👍