Dunabar

[Weapon] Weapons that could enhance WW3 - Special Weapons | GL06

Question

Posted (edited)

Hey Folks

Got a bit side tracked with real life matters for a little there. But, I finally got around to the final "Weapons that could enhance WW3" of Round 4 and today I will be covering an older suggested weapon. I had another weapon in mind that I was going to cover. But, that weapon would fit better in a new series of suggestion posts I'm going to make later down the road. So, rather than track down another new weapon, I thought I would make things easy on myself with life being a bit busy, and cover a weapon I suggested once before in my new suggestion post format. Today, we cover a standalone grenade launcher known as the GL06 (That is zero, not O.)

If you would like to read other suggestion posts I have made, click the link down below where I keep links to pretty much ALL of my suggestion posts I have made for WW3. Otherwise, lets get started on the GL06!

----

Dunabar's "Master Suggestion Post Archive"

----

Contents of this post

• Section 1 - The GL06 - Real life information behind the Weapon
  • Section 2 - Strengths & Weaknesses of the GL06 - What the strengths & weaknesses of the Weapon should be.
  • Section 3 - Customization Options - What customization options should be open to the Weapon.

----

Section 1 - The GL06

image.jpeg

• Country of Origin: Switzerland 🇨🇭
  • Manufacturer: Brügger & Thomet
  • Predecessor: None
  • Weapon type: Break action Grenade Launcher
  • Weapon Caliber (Primary): 40x46mm Low-Velocity Grenades
  • Weapon Calibers (Alternatives): None
  • Weight: 4.51 LB or 2.05 KG
  • Capacity: 1 Round Tube
  • Operators: Switzerland 🇨🇭, Canada 🇨🇦, Estonia 🇪🇪, France 🇫🇷, Hungary 🇭🇺, Ireland 🇮🇪, Kazakhstan 🇰🇿, Kuwait 🇰🇼, Lithuania 🇱🇹, Poland 🇵🇱, Slovenia 🇸🇮, Spain 🇪🇸, Sweden 🇸🇪, Ukraine 🇺🇦, & the United States 🇺🇸. There are unconfirmed users as well such as the United Kingdoms 🇬🇧, United Arab of Emirates 🇦🇪, Italy 🇮🇹, Serbia 🇷🇸, and others.

Web Sources

Video Sources

Summary: The Swiss GL06 was originally designed primarily with Law Enforcement in mind, but has found some Military usage with the Estonian Defense Force & (unconfirmed) Ukrainian Military. The weapon was designed to give it's user a compact, easy to use, and easy to engage weapon that could fire a large variety of low-velocity 40mm Ammunition from CS Gas for a Riot Control application, up to a 40mm High Explosive round for a more Military application. There really isn't a whole lot to say about the GL06, the weapon is very straight forward, the original design was more in mind with Law Enforcement, and yet it still has found it's way into Military service with some countries. I know, nothing all that real special compared to the other weapons I have covered. But, sometimes there isn't a whole lot to really talk about. It's one really notable trait as a standalone Grenade Launcher however, is the fact that it is lighter than most weapons of it's class.

So, what would the strengths, weaknesses, and stats be of the GL06 if it was to be added to the game?

----

Section 2 - Strengths & Weaknesses of the GL06

In this section I'm going to cover what I think the Strengths of the GL06 should be, what Weaknesses it should have, and finally what I think it's basic stats should be upon entering the PTE servers for testing. In regards to the stats, I will be proposing them from a stock weapon perspective (IE: no attachments/modifications.) This is being done both to keep the post relatively on the small side & not give me a headache in the process of making it.

GL06 Strengths

1. Wide Variety of Ammunition - The GL06 should have a wide variety of Ammunition such as HE, HEDP, MP ("Buckshot"), Smoke Grenades, Flashbang Grenades, & CS Gas. This would help differ it from the RPG-7 because it would have a wider range of tactical usage rather than strictly direct combat use. In terms of direct Combat usage, the GL06's MP "Buckshot" round would allow the GL06 to be used as a heavy hitting, single shot Shotgun that requires reloading after every shot.
    • Standard Ammunition choices should be-
    • High Explosive (Best Against Infantry at Medium to Long Range.)
    • High Explosive Dual-Purpose (Balanced Infantry vs. Light Armor Vehicles.)
    • MP "Buckshot" (Best Against Infantry at Close Range and fires 20 pellets a shot.)
    • Special Ammunition choices should be-
    • Smoke Grenades (Conceals an Area in Smoke for a period of time.)
    • Flashbang Grenades (Completely Blinds Targets hit in the location for a period of time.)
    • CS Gas (Causes a Player's vision to blur, their Character to cough, and greater ADS sway because of blurred vision & coughing while the Player is in the Gas.)
  2. Great Short to Medium Range ADS Accuracy - Pretty self explained. But, the GL06 should basically hit wherever it's aimed at with little to no deviation in it's flight trajectory. Distance of course would be another issue, but that falls under "Bullet Drop" more than this.
  3. Lightweight - The GL06 should be one of the lighter Special Weapons for People to pick.
  4. Fast Reload - Compared to the RPG-7, the GL06 should be much faster to reload.
  5. OHK Direct Impact Shots against Unprotected Heads - To prevent Players from running around and attempting to OHK enemy players with direct impact shots (basically using the GL06 like a close-range, highly accurate Sniper rifle.) I would suggest making it only possible to OHK enemy players with direct impact shots to the UNPROTECTED Head. Everywhere else (which will be noted in the weaknesses section) should take waay more shots to kill someone at full health with direct impact shots.
  6. Adaptable Anti-Infantry/Anti-Light Vehicle Weapon - Unlike the RPG-7 that is best against enemy Vehicles & isn't all that great against Infantry (Short of Direct hits/Fragmentation Rounds/Splash Damage), the GL06 should be almost the exact opposite where it does really well against Infantry & Light Vehicles, but struggles against heavier Vehicles like IFVs, AFVs, & MBTs.
  7. (Situational addition) Illumination Rounds - Should WW3 ever get really dark maps where lighting is exceptionally scarce, the GL06 should be allowed to use Illumination Rounds as a Special Ammunition Type to help Illuminate an area with light. If WW3 never gets a really dark map/night map. Then I wouldn't bother adding Illumination Rounds unless the Developers want to find another usage for them.
  8. No Smoke Trail - Where the RPG-7 creates a fairly noticeable smoke trail back to it's shooter's location. The GL06 should make very little to not smoke indications as to where it was fired from.

Now we move on to weaknesses to help balance out this Special Weapon.

GL06 Weaknesses

1. Minimum Arming Range for some Ammunition - Some of the GL06's ammunition should have a 14 meter minimum arming range (IE: The round won't activate till it's achieved at least 14 meters of flight distance and thus there is a good chance the round would be wasted.) This minimum arming range should only impact High Explosive & High Explosive Dual-Purpose rounds of ammunition. Should Thermobaric Rounds & Air Burst munitions also be added at some point, they should also be effected by this Minimum Arming Range.
  2. Needs to be Reloaded after every shot - Self explained.
  3. Switching to/from the GL06 Animation - As the first means of balancing this weapon, the GL06 should have a animation involved with switching to & from it. When switching to it, the Character should unfold the stock, engage the break action, load the round into the tube, slap their hand down on the back of tube to shut it, and finally disengage the safety switch. After that it should generally just be them flipping the safety on, pulling the grenade out of the tube, latching the tube back down, folding up the stock, and then switching to their other weapon. Yes, some may not like this. But, it's for balance on something that is going to be some what challenging to balance.
  4. Limited Ammunition - For Balance reasons the GL06 should be limited to 2 rounds of Standard Ammunition and 2 rounds of Special Ammunition.
  5. Poor Hip Fire Accuracy - To balance out the fact that the GL06 should have both great accuracy & low recoil, the weapon should in exchange have poor hip fire accuracy.
  6. Low Muzzle Velocity - The GL06 doesn't have very good Muzzle Velocity and that should be reflected in the game.
  7. Hard to use at Long Range - For those long to really long range shots, the GL06 should be rather challenging to use as shooting for those longer ranges will require the user to take their sights off the target, and pretty much (generally speaking) blind fire at the target.
  8. APS Counters - The GL06 Ammunition should be countered by Vehicles using the Incandescent APS & Land Electronic Defense System.
  9. Terrible Direct Impact Shots - Depending on the part of the body the Direct Impact Shots are taking place at, should determine how many they take to actually kill an enemy player from full health. I know some Players will hate this. But, it's mainly for balance reasons.
    1. Protected Head - 2 Shots to kill. First to break the helmet, second to kill the enemy player with a OHK to the NOW Unprotected Head.
    2. Protected Body Shots - 6 Shots to kill. 2 to break any Armor, then 4 to directly kill the enemy player.
    3. Body Shots - As stated above: 4 to directly kill the enemy player.
    4. Limbs - 8+ Direct Impact Shots to kill the enemy player.

Indifference

1. Resupplied with Equipment Bags - self explained.

With both Strengths & Weaknesses out of the way, I think the PTE stats for theGL06 should look something like this-

GL06 basic PTE stats proposal

• GL06 Effective ranges: Depends on Ammunition
    • High Explosive: Unlimited it's a Grenade Round.
    • High Explosive Duel Purpose: Unlimited it's a Grenade Round.
    • Multi-Projectile "Buckshot": 10m (24 damage.) Damage decreases at 11m - 30m (19 damage.) Damage decreases at 31m - 45m (10 damage.) Damage decreases at 46m - 75m (0 damage.)
  • GL06 Weight: 12.55
  • GL06 Recoil: 0.13
  • GL06 Spread: 0.56
  • GL06 Reload time: 2.5 Seconds
  • GL06 Rate of Fire: Depends on Shooter
  • GL06 Caliber: 40x46
  • GL06 Muzzle Velocity: 85 m/s

----

Section 3 - Customization Options

This part will be pretty quick because I won't be covering stats, just what modifications & cosmetics the GL06 should have access to..

Modifications

• Primary Sights
    • All Sights optional
  • Secondary Sights
    • All Secondary Sights optional
  • Barrels
    • Short Barrel (Stock)
  • Muzzles
    • None
  • Side
    • All Side Mounts optional
  • Lowers
    • All Lowers optional
  • Magazines
    • 1 Round Tube
  • Standard Ammunition
    • High Explosive (Stock)
    • High Explosive Dual-Purpose
    • Multi-Projectile "Buckshot"
  • Special Ammunition
    • Smoke
    • Gas
    • Flash
    • Air Burst
    • Thermobarics

Cosmetics

The GL06 is a specialized weapon, so I don't really think a lot of cosmetics would honestly work for it. Some pistol grips I think would be fine, but about the only stocks that would work with the balancing I suggested would be other folding stocks. Outside of Pistol Grips & Folding Stocks though, I couldn't think of anything that could be changed. Maybe the Developers would like to take some creative liberties though with it?

----

And with all of that out of the way, we bring this post to an end. I hope everyone really likes the idea of seeing the GL06 added to the game, even if maybe not exactly how I pitched it. I know some People are not really keen on stand alone grenade launchers or grenade launchers in general, but I did try to keep balance in mind with this weapon, and want to find that point where usability & fun doesn't get completely outmatched by balance demand. But, this is also why I always mention using the PTE server when I make these kinds of suggestion posts, that way they can be tested to see if they need re-balancing, tweaking, or whatever. All the same however, there really isn't much more to say about this weapon. For now though, this brings round 4 of "Weapons that could enhance WW3" to an end. I'm going to be taking a break from these weapon posts to pitch a new game mode, fulfill a special request post, and get things together for a new series of suggestion posts to come. Till the next suggestion post though...

Have a good one folks!

Edited by Dunabar

5 answers to this question

2 часа назад, Dunabar сказал:

Terrible Direct Impact Shots - Depending on the part of the body the Direct Impact Shots are taking place at, should determine how many they take to actually kill an enemy player from full health. I know some Players will hate this. But, it's mainly for balance reasons.

1. Protected Head - 2 Shots to kill. First to break the helmet, second to kill the enemy player with a OHK to the NOW Unprotected Head.
  2. Protected Body Shots - 6 Shots to kill. 2 to break any Armor, then 4 to directly kill the enemy player.
  3. Body Shots - As stated above: 4 to directly kill the enemy player.
  4. Limbs - 8+ Direct Impact Shots to kill the enemy player

IMO, with 2.5 secs reload time and 85 m/s projectile speed it's too weak. I would like to see it another way.

Grenades are counted as RLY big pistol billets. So, their piercing ability is equal to the latter. Base damage is 100. And then it'll be 2 hit kills when hitting limbs. When hitting protected areas there will be armor in the game and if, for example, it was Steel plate enemy simply will not bother. And then he will have 2.5 secs to kill the guy with this GL. But if the enemy has shown his back - it's his mistake and 1 grenade to the back should be enough.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tynblpb said:

IMO, with 2.5 secs reload time and 85 m/s projectile speed it's too weak. I would like to see it another way.

Grenades are counted as RLY big pistol billets. So, their piercing ability is equal to the latter. Base damage is 100. And then it'll be 2 hit kills when hitting limbs. When hitting protected areas there will be armor in the game and if, for example, it was Steel plate enemy simply will not bother. And then he will have 2.5 secs to kill the guy with this GL. But if the enemy has shown his back - it's his mistake and 1 grenade to the back should be enough.

Alright for clarity sake in the event someone may misunderstand. When I'm talking about a "Direct Impact Shot", I'm talking about shooting the enemy character with a Non-Buckshot round at a distance where the Grenade round has not armed itself, and thus will not explode upon contact (with obvious exceptions being Smoke, Flashbang, & CS Gas.) So basically the enemy Character got shot somewhere between 0 and 13 meters with a non-Buckshot grenade round (14 meters is the arming point where the Grenade would explode upon contact with a surface.)

Now, my reason for making those shots so weak (excluding the Unprotected Headshot) is more to discourage People from using the non-Buckshot rounds as solid slugs for killing enemy players. That said however, I could see all of that maybe being a little too high and reducing it further to say...

2. Protected Body Shots - 3  Shots to kill. 1 to break any Armor, then 2 to directly kill the enemy player.
  3. Body Shots - As stated above: 2 to directly kill the enemy player.
  4. Limbs - 4+ Direct Impact Shots to kill the enemy player

As for Reload Speed...I don't know, I think 2.5 is fairly fast, but I can see it going a little lower..Maybe 1.6 - 2.0 range.

And with 85 m/s I actually used the real life max muzzle velocity of the GL06 because I had no clue what to actually suggest for it lol.

Edited by Dunabar

Posted (edited)
13 минут назад, Dunabar сказал:

So basically the enemy Character got shot somewhere between 0 and 13 meters with a non-Buckshot grenade round (14 meters is the arming point where the Grenade would explode upon contact with a surface.)

I was talking about them too. 100+ grams chunks of metal and explosives flying at nearly 100m/s speed is IMO enough to kill someone with headshot by simply breaking his neck.

My point was that with flying speed THAT low u can use GL as "shotgun" only when ppl are running at u. And the moment u will try to kill someone with direct hit at ~10-13 meters distances u will see that it requires quite a skill. Travel time will be 0.12-0.16 secs. For lightweight soldier it's ~1m if it's 90° angle between ur vision line and where he is heading. And for face-to-face encounters this time is enough for some weapons to kill u BEFORE ur grenade will even reach their owner. And only to deal ~40 dmg after that? 

That is why I was talking about grenades being able to OHK ppl with torso-hits to unprotected parts of the body.

Edited by tynblpb

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, tynblpb said:

My point was that with flying speed THAT low u can use GL as "shotgun" only when ppl are running at u. And the moment u will try to kill someone with direct hit at ~10-13 meters distances u will see that it requires quite a skill. Travel time will be 0.12-0.16 secs. For lightweight soldier it's ~1m if it's 90° angle between ur vision line and where he is heading. And for face-to-face encounters this time is enough for some weapons to kill u BEFORE ur grenade will even reach their owner. And only to deal ~40 dmg after that?

Regarding the 85 m/s; as I said prior-

22 hours ago, Dunabar said:

And with 85 m/s I actually used the real life max muzzle velocity of the GL06 because I had no clue what to actually suggest for it lol.

So, I could see upping it to maybe...100 m/s to maybe...165 m/s region.

Regarding the damage dealing potential however of non-MP "Buckshot" grenades...The main reason I do not think they should be able to deliver OHKs to the unprotected parts of the body (excluding the head of course), Is because of the larger impact that would have on the MP "Buckshot." If you could OHK with any Grenade Round simply by shooting the enemy in the unprotected body, why would you ever take MP "Buckshot" over HE or HEDP? Yes, both would ideally be able to OHK at close range in this particular scenario. But, only two would be much more effective at longer range, and that would be the HE & HEDP. Add in the fact that HEDP would also be ideally better against Vehicles as well vs. HE and entirely better against Vehicles when compared to the MP "Buckshot."

Edited by Dunabar

38 минут назад, Dunabar сказал:

If you could OHK with any Grenade Round simply by shooting the enemy in the unprotected body, why would you ever take MP "Buckshot" over HE or HEDP

U don't have that much of a "unprotected areas" if shooting from the front though. Only groin area and a little part of the chest above vest's plate. U have the chance to OHK, but it's rly minor.

IMO, nobody will abuse it even if it will be in-game unless it's 2 situations:

1. Bored skilled player.

2. Dumb dev's move to add it to some kind of challenge.