techsimmons

HUD Improvements

Maybe it takes some getting used to, but I found certain HUD elements to be unnecessary and distracting. I disabled the distracting kill feed, but if it's text was cleaner and didn't include the oversized diagonal weapon icons, I might keep it (let us at least customize these aspects). I also somehow disabled the text that appears under your crosshair when hitting and/or killing an enemy, which I like. I feel the hit markers' colors give enough information as to what went down. Real-time damage info is also unnecessary and unrealistic. Even though players can disable it, the players who don't and aren't distracted/turned off by it will get an advantage in gunfights from the information. I know there is a hardcore mode coming, but will there be enough players in those servers? I want to play "normal" mode if I can.

If it were up to me, I would do what NWI did with Insurgency: Sandstorm's HUD, keeping it very clean and minimal. I believe that game will compete directly with WW3, sharing the same audience. I liked not seeing my  ammo, health, and other unnecessary features. The devs said they wanted authenticity, and maybe in 2026 soldiers will use some variation of "Google Glass," but only important info should be shown. 

Also, I'm not sure if it's by design, but all pistol ironsights are way off center, rendering them unusable at most ranges. It would be nice to see the crosshair on the HUD when ADSing. Also, the grenade icon in the lower right is the shape of a frag grenade, regardless of the actual grenade type the player is carrying.

• Like 1

Maybe you could even remove the dynamic ammunition, so you dont have like 120 rounds, but 4 magazines. And it saves how much rounds remain in it if you reload. 

I hope you understand what i mean :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bl4ck Mamba said:

Maybe you could even remove the dynamic ammunition, so you dont have like 120 rounds, but 4 magazines. And it saves how much rounds remain in it if you reload. 

I hope you understand what i mean :D

I like this idea, instead of an ammo count just straight up magazines. This may need a few more mags to balance the problem of people throwing away ammo, but is a neat idea

The in-game UI (HUD)  in game is not smooth at all. I don't know why we need to know what class/role we are showing on the HUD, or if we are attacker/defender, I don't know why it shows us armor plate and helmet indicator, or why we need to know if we have an iron-sight zoom, or even why it shows us what bullet we use. Don't you prepare that before you start the game? Why showing it in-game HUD? I have never seen any game putting that type of HUD info. There is too much stuff that does not need to be there. A smoother HUD would be much better. Such as knowing your health status, ammo, grenades, squad mates, battle points, battle score streaks, cap-bases and match score is enough (a mini-map does show up from a "score streaks" or what ever the game calls them). You don't need more than that. The armor plate, helmet, the indicator which tells you what role you are, if you are an attacker/defender, your bullet type and all that in HUD is unnecessary! Here is a much deeper look at it:

APPLY FOLLOWING

Left Corner - Downside
- Squad & Squad Mates (Their role icon and name, yours too)
- Health Points (Rather in number or a meter, or both)
Squad Objective (Why not having it above your Squad & Squad Mates instead of the left upper side?)

Right Corner - Downside
- Ammo Counter & Fire Mode (Having ammo in numbers is fine, such as 30/120 and so is showing your fire mode)
/Gadget Type & Amount (Only show it when you equip your gadget, this means remove it from the left corner downside under the health bar)
- Grenade Type (Type applied by a right type of icon-indicator and amount would be nice, and when you are out remove the icon-indicator)

Left Corner - Upside
- Squad Objective (It works well, HOWEVER I would add it just above your Squad & Squad Mates)
- Mini-Map (When it's active, it works well)

Right Corner - Upside
- Kill Indicator (Works well, however it would be nice to have actual weapons applied and grenades for the right icon)
- Chat (It's fine)

Middle - Down Side
- Battle Points Score & Battle "Score Streaks" (It's fine here but have the "Score Streaks" in a correct order of Battle Points required, which they are not such as "Quadrocopter" is after the "JDAM" but "Quadrocopter" requires less Battle Points than "JDAM")
- Compass (Is right now far up above but no one is looking that much up so why not having it down bellow where all other major information on HUD is? Or just remove it as no one is using it anyway)

THINGS TO REMOVE
- Defender/Attacker (There is no point having one if it ALREADY tells you at your Squad & Squad Mates, why have two showing it to you on your HUD?)
- Role (There are 3 roles, indicated by letters such as "Light, "Medium", "Heavy" but I don't see a point to have it showed because it could be showed at your Squad & Squad Mates, it could also have an icon instead of a letter)
- Bullet Type (I know there are more than one bullet type but don't you equip that before you start a match? And if so, then why showing it on your HUD? This depends on how deep they want to go with it, if they aim to have more than one and different type of mags, then I can see it being there but if not and instead going for a change just before the match with no multiple bullets on your each magazine then there is no point having it as you'll always have ONE bullet type equipped))
- Aim/Iron-Sight Icon (There is one but don't know what that is for?)
- Gadget (Is showed at the left corner downside, I don't see the point of having one showed there, I mean you have a primary weapon, sidearm and one gadget which you know what one you have. When you equip one it also shows you, so what's the deal having two showed on the HUD? It's fine to be showed at the right side where Ammo Counter is when you equip one, but remove the fire mode icon when you equip one - if your gadget is not a rocket launcher)
- Weapon Name (No need to have one, as you know which weapons you have when you chose before the match. You can have it being showed just above the Ammo Counter when you equip one) 
Compass (No one is using the compass because many have not even notice it and it's above the major information on the HUD, it can be there but really not that necessary)

THINGS TO ADD
- Capture-Objectives (There is no one showed on your HUD, it's showed only on your big map. This may have been the point but adding one would be much better and applied for a better teamplay. It can be showed underneath or above the Score)

---

This are just tips for a better, cleaner and smoother HUD with less information and yet valuable information for the gameplay. Some are really not that needed which could be removed.

Edited by GameAdvisor