Jump to content
Flamingo

Poll: Would you want VOIP?

Poll: Would you want VOIP?  

183 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you want VOIP?

    • Yes, Directional Audio and Team / Squad radio.
      114
    • Yes, however Squad radio only.
      48
    • No, just text.
      21


Recommended Posts

Well here's one instance I hope they don't listen to popular opinion ?

I hope if this has to be added it's squad only... I can't see any practical situation where you absolutely need to communicate with someone not in your squad, other than to be a dick. 

If there's no holds barred VOIP people will regret their vote ?‍♂️

Edited by ArcarsenalNIM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ZioYuri78 said:

I voted " No, just text. " but not because i don't want VOIP, i have no  problem if there is VOIP in the game but i don't want that it will be essential to play like in SQUAD.

I can't use headphones (long story and three surgeries on my left ear) and for me means to be cut-off from the game.

 

 

ever tried to use voip with speakers. I do that sometimes and if you use Radio it even adds immersion with War Ambience over Radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes for love of God yes - but let us mute people. VOIP is a must in this game and it's apparent from the first minute you start playing. Proximity/directional VOIP and team/squad radio would be best solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team proximity + Squad radio, with an option to opt-out from both (if you really want to) 

Additional channel for squad leaders to communicate with each other would also be amazing, further down the line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I'm an avid player of RO2: Vietnam, and they have 3D proxy chat. It cuts out when someone dies, and ads for a lot of immersion and humor. If anyone uses it obnoxiously, it wouldn't be hard to mute them. Not harder than muting them in text chat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm OK with how its is now. Voip would be ruined by lil kids and people whining anyway.

Rather play with a group I know and talk with them in a outside game chat. If you want to talk with people got to go and find a community to play with. The squad leaders can coordinate with text.

 

In planetside 2 we have proxy voip and its never used except by a few people who most just play some music though it. out side of that platoon leaser might pas info to pubbies but they usually do internal ops with their own viop like TS3 or discord. And then they have command chat were all leaders on a faction talk to each other for some coordination but its usually bickering.

 

Its better to not have voip honestly you are only gonna make the game less pleasing to play. The last time Ive ever heard good coordination though public coms was years ago.

The same people asking for voip are the ones who will complain when they hear things they like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I'm taking a wild guess based on the generally proper use of English in this thread that most participants live in NA. If I would live in a region where it would be safe to assume that over 95% of the people in a game can efficiently communicate in the same language I would definitely want VOIP. And probably even open and proximity based.

The situation changes, however, when you look at a region like EU. To illustrate my point I would like to ask you to take a look at the game's Discord. Specifically at the amount of "general" channels it currently has. A surprising amount of people does not feel comfortable using English apparently. I mean, I'm a Dutch person who can understand German perfectly, speak it reasonably well, understand and speak English properly, but when you put me in a team with French, Spanish, Polish, Russian speaking people I'm at a loss. This is the reason why I stopped playing R6 for example. Literally unplayable with randoms in Europe.

So what I'm saying is by all means implement VOIP. But for the love of whatever deity you hold dearly, if any, please make it opt in and preferably squads only.

Edited by Phil T. Casual

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having someone insult you over the internet isn't actually a terrible thing. As long as you have a mute button for children then its all good.

Rough environments are fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being one of those that turns this off in every game i play, i don't see a need for it. Discord and TS both have very nice overlay in game that make joining other peoples Discords, or the offical WW3 discord fast and easy. And being that most seem to only want squad only, sending a invite to a discord is easy enough. Plus it has been said before, ive read the fourms and played the game, there are plenty of toxic players in this game that i don't need to hear, or want to hear. Sure i will be playing on the NA servers but the point was made about EU and all the different dialects being used in that region, that doesn't make sense. Plus the game needs some bugs crushed and optimization which adding any of this would take away from. And those things are way more important than VOIP, in the current state or the near future of the game. If this game had a flawless launch as was in a much better place i could see where this would be a valid discussion. Until the game is in that place, this isn't a feature they should worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we need VOIP.  Squad has had huge success with directional local/squad/team/command channels.

Yes, it needs to be simpler than Squad's to attract casual players, so here's my idea:

Implement squad chat for regular squad members and a squad leaders' channel for squad leaders to discuss strategy on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 7:53 PM, Gapis said:

Team proximity + Squad radio, with an option to opt-out from both (if you really want to) 

Additional channel for squad leaders to communicate with each other would also be amazing, further down the line.

Damn you I basically just posted this idea then saw this

100% agree

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If voip gets added i need an option to turn it off. I don't want to hear annoying mic spammers the whole game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.

I think they should just build on the idea with the squad leader giving out objectives. He could give multiple assignments in order by using shift+x. Also enhancing the options on the 'm' Map.  Lots of possibilities there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elok said:

If voip gets added i need an option to turn it off. I don't want to hear annoying mic spammers the whole game.

See, it's all about creating a culture that keeps people like that away.  In serious games like Squad, those people get kicked out of the squad.  The overall difficulty and learning curve keeps casual troll types away.

With these guys wanting to add a battle royal mode on top of a game that is already mostly arcadey (albeit slower paced), I totally feel you on this.  It may attract childish players.

My highest hopes are that we can all safely use the voice chat, and I would prefer that it be deemed necessary, at least for squad leaders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Easy said:

See, it's all about creating a culture that keeps people like that away.  In serious games like Squad, those people get kicked out of the squad.  The overall difficulty and learning curve keeps casual troll types away.

With these guys wanting to add a battle royal mode on top of a game that is already mostly arcadey (albeit slower paced), I totally feel you on this.  It may attract childish players.

My highest hopes are that we can all safely use the voice chat, and I would prefer that it be deemed necessary, at least for squad leaders.

The childishness can already be seen. Players camp in spawn doing nothing getting tked by vehicles, taking them then sitting on the repair platform, or people purposfully walking into your gunfire, bodyblocking ect. those kids would be annoying if they had voice chat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in a game that requires teamwork and communication that is a BIG must. otherwise you'll have a lot of people running around in circles wondering what to do....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elok said:

The childishness can already be seen. Players camp in spawn doing nothing getting tked by vehicles, taking them then sitting on the repair platform, or people purposfully walking into your gunfire, bodyblocking ect. those kids would be annoying if they had voice chat.

I haven't experienced any of that, yet.  If that's the case, it honestly does not look good for the future.  It's a really hard problem to solve.  How do you create a game that is fun and accessible, but does not attract players who purposely obstruct their team? Obviously the $28 price isn't deterring that behavior.

 

Well, back on topic: Yes, those people are the ones who would be playing music or some crazy shit the whole time.  Of course, then we just mute them or kick from the squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Easy said:

I haven't experienced any of that, yet.  If that's the case, it honestly does not look good for the future.  It's a really hard problem to solve.  How do you create a game that is fun and accessible, but does not attract players who purposely obstruct their team? Obviously the $28 price isn't deterring that behavior.

 

Well, back on topic: Yes, those people are the ones who would be playing music or some crazy shit the whole time.  Of course, then we just mute them or kick from the squad.

Every online game has them, most have a system that punishes bad behavior. In csgo if you tk someone right when a round starts you get banned, or 3 team kills otherwise. Rising storm vietnam has a spawn timer penalty. People like that were in bf 1 even so price doesn't deter anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no point in this question (only who not playing action multiplayer online games can say no ? ) .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VOIP is needed imo.

BUT DO NOT allow people to use voice activation on VOIP. For the love of all our ears we do not want to be listening to the constant sound of someone chewing, dogs barking, children fighting in the background or even worse non stop static noise while we are trying to organise our team.
That leads to us muting VOIP and when half the team or more has it muted it becomes useless as a system to better organize the team. Which means at that point the only people using it are people trolling or having a giggle, so even more people just generally mute it instead of simply muting the occasional troll individually. Seen this in too many games.

Push to talk has its downsides, but for ingame communications its absolutely the one and only way to go. Anyone that wants to use voice activation to communicate with certain teammates is welcome to use TS, Discord, Skype, Mumble or even ICQ for all I care, but don't be an annoyance for everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 4:13 PM, gobi42 said:

Being one of those that turns this off in every game i play, i don't see a need for it. Discord and TS both have very nice overlay in game that make joining other peoples Discords, or the offical WW3 discord fast and easy.

6

Hey, that's all good - no one says voice chat would be forced and mandatory. However, for those of us who want to take it a step further, in-game comms would help a lot with organizing random players in your squad/team, since you obviously can't get people you don't know on your discord/TeamSpeak server every time. 

It would be a choice - you can join both squad and proximity, or squad only, or mute it altogether. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...