Sign in to follow this  
Anim

Depth of Field (game blur) - Option to disable please

For some reason, it appears that the depth of field slider in the video options doesnt do anything but it would be nice if 'Depth of Field' was an option that could be disabled.

For those who dont entirely know what Depth of Field is, it's the piece of programming the causes everything on your screen that your crosshair isnt aimed at to be progressively more out of focus. It's a very cinematic effect designed to focus the action on the centre of your screen to put you more "in the moment". Unfortunately when it comes to video games it can cause serious eye strain.

Players dont exclusively look where their crosshair is pointing so you're often looking at an out-of-focus image that your eyes will naturally try (and fail) to correct. Many other games that come with this feature also have the ability to disable it, is this something we could get too?

On 10/24/2018 at 4:09 PM, Anim said:

For some reason, it appears that the depth of field slider in the video options doesnt do anything but it would be nice if 'Depth of Field' was an option that could be disabled.

For those who dont entirely know what Depth of Field is, it's the piece of programming the causes everything on your screen that your crosshair isnt aimed at to be progressively more out of focus. It's a very cinematic effect designed to focus the action on the centre of your screen to put you more "in the moment". Unfortunately when it comes to video games it can cause serious eye strain.

Players dont exclusively look where their crosshair is pointing so you're often looking at an out-of-focus image that your eyes will naturally try (and fail) to correct. Many other games that come with this feature also have the ability to disable it, is this something we could get too?

That's actually not how proper depth of field works. The proper DoF blurs the scene based on distance from focal point, so correctly set up DoF will generally only blur the very near foreground such as extremely close obstacles and your rifle. 

What WW3 does is actually called "Vignette Blur" where scene is blurred from the screen center towards the edges. The intention for it was probably to simulate a "Focus" of soldier when his eye is aiming down the sight, but I agree that in its current form, it's quite distracting and not very well done. Often, I am actually rubbing my eyes and checking if my glasses aren't dirty because things that should be in focus seem a bit too blurry.

Edited by rawalanche

On 10/24/2018 at 9:09 AM, Anim said:

i dont know if u notice this as well but post processing is bugged or the whole graphic setting has been implemented poorly. it makes the screen even blurrier ontop of that. id love an open to completely turn that option off.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:13 AM, rawalanche said:

That's actually not how proper depth of field works. The proper DoF blurs the scene based on distance from focal point, so correctly set up DoF will generally only blur the very near foreground such as extremely close obstacles and your rifle. 

What WW3 does is actually called "Vignette Blur" where scene is blurred from the screen center towards the edges. The intention for it was probably to simulate a "Focus" of soldier when his eye is aiming down the sight, but I agree that in its current form, it's quite distracting and not very well done. Often, I am actually rubbing my eyes and checking if my glasses aren't dirty because things that should be in focus seem a bit too blurry.

I'm pretty sure you're right on that, and however they've done it, it's done badly.

I recently started using reshade with the game because of this, and with luma sharpen cranked up to nearly full it's become a much more playable game, the downside is having to use a 3rd party app to be able to play the game for any length of time.

Glad it's not just me.

Could not agree more with OP.

It's a blurry mess and should be removed completely. It's practically impossible to spot an enemy that's just peaking around the corner even in a room like this - let alone to find a sniper across the street. Beside that, my eyes get very tired after a few games and it feels like I'm loosing sight.  @Ragir

2025835825_Ww3Screenshot2018_12.20-01_08_54_88.thumb.jpg.d25aaa0bc5fea5fb8cdb9b1667065cfb.jpg

10 hours ago, DisRawTomato said:

Could not agree more with OP.

It's a blurry mess and should be removed completely. It's practically impossible to spot an enemy that's just peaking around the corner even in a room like this - let alone to find a sniper across the street. Beside that, my eyes get very tired after a few games and it feels like I'm loosing sight.  @Ragir

What you describe is not Depth of Field, but Temporal Antialiasing which is known to blur objects in the distance. You can turn it off or change to a different AA solution (FXAA) by selecting medium or low Antialiasing in the settings.

Also, try playing around with the new Sharpen slider, it's designed to get back a bit of this blur from AA.

1 hour ago, Ragir said:

What you describe is not Depth of Field, but Temporal Antialiasing which is known to blur objects in the distance. You can turn it off or change to a different AA solution (FXAA) by selecting medium or low Antialiasing in the settings.

Also, try playing around with the new Sharpen slider, it's designed to get back a bit of this blur from AA.

That does almost nothing in this regard. Why does this game need blur in the first place? I thought you guys were gamers? What FPS gamer likes blur in any form? ?

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.5cf8dac654cbc53aca885d438b030e94.jpg

any chance we could get MSAA/SMAA somewhere down the line? FXAA and TAA blur the game too much, especially at longer distances, and while I understand that FXAA and TAA are both less taxing on the hardware, having the MSAA/SMAA as an option would be pretty great.

4 hours ago, DisRawTomato said:

That does almost nothing in this regard. Why does this game need blur in the first place? I thought you guys were gamers? What FPS gamer likes blur in any form?

This is how deferred rendering works, it's not really a choice we can make, we didn't add blur to the game apart from the tiny amount close to the camera (you can see it on the weapon). I'll take a look if this either way, maybe we missed something, but there should be no added blur on to of what TXAA does.

4 hours ago, Elif said:

any chance we could get MSAA/SMAA somewhere down the line? FXAA and TAA blur the game too much, especially at longer distances, and while I understand that FXAA and TAA are both less taxing on the hardware, having the MSAA/SMAA as an option would be pretty great.

This is an engine restriction, related to deferred rendering as well, TXAA and FXAA are both postprocessing AA solutions, while MSAA/SMAA require different rendering pipeline to work correctly. Other UE4 games also don't support those AA methods, this is a tradeoff between performance and quality on a base level.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Elif said:

I'm pretty pleased to see The Farm 51 include so many render options in the game settings for UE, a lot of developers don't go to the trouble. As far as adding render options that aren't coded into the render backplane, I'd rather they left it as is, invest their time and effort where it counts like they have been in game design -- everyone sees the same render quality. One option you do have is to force render settings through your drivers, this can have anomalous effects but might get you more where you want to be.

Hmm I don't know. If the game is blurry for him I think he should have the opportunity to change it. I mean yeah everyone gets the same thing okay but if he's struggling? Doesn't seem right to me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoak said:

I'm pretty pleased to see The Farm 51 include so many render options in the game settings for UE, a lot of developers don't go to the trouble. As far as adding render options that aren't coded into the render backplane, I'd rather they left it as is, invest their time and effort where it counts like they have been in game design -- everyone sees the same render quality. One option you do have is to force render settings through your drivers, this can have anomalous effects but might get you more where you want to be.

the render options are pretty standard in my opinion if you want to see what good render options looks like, take a look at Ghost Recon Wildlands render options, it gives you a description of what each setting does, and provides a great visual example of how a setting could affect your game and gives you a comparison image.

Edited by Elif

On 12/20/2018 at 11:48 PM, Elif said:

the render options are pretty standard in my opinion if you want to see what good render options looks like, take a look at Ghost Recon Wildlands render options, it gives you a description of what each setting does, and provides a great visual example of how a setting could affect your game and gives you a comparison image.

Wasn't talking about Noob Help features, was talking about the extent of the render options offered in WW3, which are more complete then what Ubisoft has put in it's old UE2 derivative engine they're calling AnvelNext… 

4 minutes ago, Hoak said:

Wasn't talking about Noob Help features, was talking about the extent of the render options offered in WW3, which are more complete then what Ubisoft has put in it's old UE2 derivative engine they're calling AnvelNext…

even in that context it still is a standard amount of render option every game on PC should have.

there's still a few settings that could be implemented in the future.

Anisotropic Filtering (not sure about this one since TAA already somewhat does this but in lesser quality)  

Terrain Quality (self-explanatory)

Terrain Decoration (self-explanatory)

Tesselation (not sure if the game makes use of Tesselation if it does, then here you go, would be amazing to see tesselation on terrain, especially in forests)

Shadow Distance (self-explanatory)

Shadow Smoothing/Soft Shadows (soft shadows, AMD CHS, Nvidia PCSS)

and if you want to go beyond the standard, they could always add settings that go beyond what the average PC could obtain, for example, do what GTA V did, with extended View Distance, for PCs that could handle the graphical setting.

22 hours ago, Elif said:

even in that context it still is a standard amount of render option every game on PC should have.

there's still a few settings that could be implemented in the future.

Anisotropic Filtering (not sure about this one since TAA already somewhat does this but in lesser quality)  

Terrain Quality (self-explanatory)

Terrain Decoration (self-explanatory)

Tesselation (not sure if the game makes use of Tesselation if it does, then here you go, would be amazing to see tesselation on terrain, especially in forests)

Shadow Distance (self-explanatory)

Shadow Smoothing/Soft Shadows (soft shadows, AMD CHS, Nvidia PCSS)

and if you want to go beyond the standard, they could always add settings that go beyond what the average PC could obtain, for example, do what GTA V did, with extended View Distance, for PCs that could handle the graphical setting.

Anisotropic Filtering is a texture filter option, TAA is an antialiasing option and are unrelated. All of your feature requests are kind of moot, or trivial as you don't just 'add render features' to a menu; the engine's render backplane has to support them -- kind of like saying 'this Toyota Corolla is a terrible airplane if it just had wings it would fly better'.  

Sure there are a few tweaks that could be made to the render settings interfaces, but most people that game will never touch them, especially with the advent of driver auto configuration that manages this (for better or worse), and in the mean time there are a lot of things that need TF51's attention more then pet wish render tweaks.

We'll be extending what can be changed in the settings, it's not really a problem. We have a lot of customization for the HUD already, but the scalability options could use some work, so keep checking the patch notes :)

Hello. Same Issue.

When FoV is set to high. everything is crispy in and around the scope, yet on the sides of your FOV its so blury, AA settings dont change much.

Im sure its an effect when scoping . But please we need an option to disable it. I remember having a config without this blurry mess.

Play a round of bf4 and you exactly know what I mean. Im not comparing those games rn. just how they handle rendering.

Sign in to follow this