Graphic-J

This game needs Medics or a Revive Mechanic with set rules

Revivemechanics:

- everyone can revive

- just squadmates can be revived

- revive only possible when not killed by headshot or explosion

forces tight squadplay much more than now

• Like 1

I've been playing many games with different revive mechanics. Out of all of them, the one I preferred was in Massive Action Game. This is a demo of how it works :

You basically have a magic spray with infinite uses. You can heal yourself, revive/heal an ally. 

This seems overpowered but I assure you it promoted team play a ton. 

Sometimes it was better to revive 1 teammate at your feet instead of shooting at enemies, this teammate would then revive another injured guy and so on. Even if this seem unrealistic and dumb, it was not frustrating at all even if you started on a 1 on 1 (and I assure you, this was a 256 players game).

This is because downed soldiers could be finished off by simply shooting at them more, knifing them or they would bleed out slowly.

Every soldier had this item that could heal them and it could be upgraded to heal and revive teammates. It was so useful that about 95+% of players were using it even if it meant getting less upgrades for guns.

But honestly, I think that the ww3 healing system is great, it just lacks teamplay (had games where medics wouldn't throw their bags at me with 33hp even after writting in chat). Maybe Proximity VOIP will solve the problem ?

Frankly, if revives were a thing, I'd just go play Battlefield. No revives was essentially why I came to WW3. You need some serious teamswork and squad play to push objectives, and protecting each other is important. If you can get revived, then there's more casual play, just running around shooting, get downed, but knowing your medic buddy is literally around  the corner and can get you up quick, so no biggy. I'll pass.

I disagree with the revive system suggestion. To me, this game feels like it should be more realistic than having the ability to magically pick up a downed player.

But once the full game is out and max players are playing on the map, it would be good to designate a medic and ammo guy for each team. Maybe a "support squad"?

How about instead of a revive system, when a player is killed, and theirs a nearby ally, the ally can go to the player's corpse, and perform a function the speeds up the players respawn time SIGNIFICANTlY and allows that player to spawn on the "reviver"

• Like 2

The idea by @Atom_Alchemist is really great one, I'd support that. 

Overall, some kind of reviving mechanic in this game could work. I find the game to be very dangerous if you are in some open are without cover and not looking around. If revive was something that's not nearly instant like in battlefield games, but something that could take 5-10 seconds and would lock you into an (interruptible) action which would also fix your camera view onto revived soldier so that you expose yourself to a risk of not being aware of your surroundings, it could work. You could be reviving your team mates, but it would be way to risky to do so in the middle of an action or in the areas that have not been cleared. It wouldn't be the battlefield style reviving where soldiers pop up instantly all over the place like ads on the adult sites :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gapis said:

1. It can be squad only (incentivizes squad teamwork)
2. It can put you on a cooldown, during which if you die, you cannot be revived again (prevents revive spam)
3. It can be on a cooldown itself if required a gadget to perform (personally I don't think that's necessary though)
4. It can put you on 10-25% HP, forcing you to spend another couple of seconds applying meds.

And most importantly of all, permadeath could still exist if you die from a headshot or a high caliber weapon like .50cals or 12.7 HMGs.

That effectively removes combat revives known from games like Battlefield and places them more along the lines of Squad (but significantly shortening the downtime to match the pacing of the game.) Trading the squad leader to someone in a 4v1 plainly sucks and waiting for fallen squad members to come back before making a push really does not fit the pace of the rest of the gameplay. I don't see why out of combat revives would change anything about how the game is played, other than further encourage players to group up, work with their squad mates and push the objectives together.

I get some of the concerns since I would rather have no revives than a revive system executed poorly. However, if done right, it can only benefit the experience, without introducing any downsides. (other than a challenge of implementing it I suppose)

yes very good points. I do have faith in the developers that they can create a non-spammy BF-like revive system.

2 hours ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

How about instead of a revive system, when a player is killed, and theirs a nearby ally, the ally can go to the player's corpse, and perform a function the speeds up the players respawn time SIGNIFICANTlY and allows that player to spawn on the "reviver"

Cut out "spawn on reviver" part and we're getting somewhere.

I still say that a revives is unnecessary and only will hinder the game/gameplay. Its not could we put it in its should, and from what devs have said in discord I am looking forward to continuing to play with out revives.

Its a FPS people should be shooting each other not spending time not fighting in order to give another chance to someone who make a mistake. respawn take about 15 seconds and you can meet up with your squad relatively quickly. Revives do not fix any thing and the only thing they could fix is not worth the negatives it brings.

Make a mistake accept the outcome. I'm looking forward to fun and engaging combat not some casual roleplay FPS where people spend all game reviving people instead of fighting.

I also dont want to deal with getting stuck at a corner camp battle with every one I kill pretty much means nothing since they can just get revived back in to the fight after losing to me.

When I kill a RPG meta abuser I take comfort in that eh is dead and will stay dead for a while.

For the revive system to have a meaning you would need to nerf the respawn system as it already is the right answer for any problems that could be fixed by receiving.

A big part of competitive games is constancy which revives will break. Revives will turn this game into BFs clusterfuck with people coming from every direction since a kill no longer means a kill and you can not trust that the direction you just cleared will stay cleared.

In order to have revives we will need dead bodies to stay behind which confuses people as you cant tell if a dead body is actually dead all the time and in general just clutter up the map.

Players dont need to worry about rather a dude will stay dead only that were the enemy could come from.

A good thing about this game is that you can help your squad and still fight you dont need to baby sit them to win. You put down ammo or health and they can fend for themselves while you have fun. Its not ohh its a option to revive. If reviving was a thing worth doing then in the competitive scene then we would have to do it in order to have win instead of playing in a fun manner. Its nice not having to go out of your way to help some one for succumbing to their own mistakes, they should help them selves and I will provide the mean for them to do so with packs.

People will play this game because its not a copy of BF, revives bring negative and fix no problems right now. Not having revives was a clear and purposeful design choice and I praise them for going against the grain to make the game a better game instead of putting things in the game just to please people.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TZoningHard said:

(...)

Yeah it comes down to the fact that people don't know how to play and can't or are unwilling to adapt. Squad Leader's role isn't only to give out orders. It's to be Squad's mobile spawn beacon. Also you can see people on losing teams fail to understand that zerging from point to point yield no results whatsoever. Need to split, someone has to attack while someone else has to defend. Usually you see people will capture one point, go to the next one that is defended by the enemy, meanwhile few enemy players spawned on leader behind their lines, blocked spawn on their freshly captured point while entire team dies assaulting and have no way.of getting back into fight and lose map domination as a result. Revives are not needed - a little more thought process involved would go a long way though.

I think reviving should stay out of the game and just keep the healing feature. Makes a game a bit of a battle royale type, you die you need to respawn and rethink your tactics.