Sign in to follow this  
EnterNameHere7

Servers in South Africa

Is there a chance for us to get South African servers? We have a large player base that is very dissapointed with BF5, they are all excited about this game but no news about local servers.

• Thanks 1

+1. I'm really hoping we get servers or at least the ability to host servers here on our own or something like that.

Edited by HellHoundZA

9 hours ago, Twisties said:

Did you not look at the pic I posted above? You HAVE local servers.

Kind sir.. They not operationa then (because Ive checked every day).. those are the best we can find i.e EU servers

Untitled.png

10 hours ago, Twisties said:

Did you not look at the pic I posted above? You HAVE local servers.

South African servers not up yet, they said it will take about a month.

22 hours ago, sparcplug said:

South African servers not up yet, they said it will take about a month.

Let's hope that this is true. Cause I'm really itching to buy the game all ready...

I'm back.

So I have some cash to spend. And before I spend it on World Of Tanks or other games... I thought I might just pop in and ask if there are servers for, or in, South Africa?

4 hours ago, Stebro said:

I'm back.

So I have some cash to spend. And before I spend it on World Of Tanks or other games... I thought I might just pop in and ask if there are servers for, or in, South Africa?

As of right now there seem to be at least three (South) African servers.

Steam_2018-11-30_18-57-10.png.4b9344937e7ae1a01a67eb2db415f373.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brady_The said:

As of right now there seem to be at least three (South) African servers.

Steam_2018-11-30_18-57-10.png.4b9344937e7ae1a01a67eb2db415f373.png

Where? Those with the "AF"? Wow. This game is dead here. :( That is a disappointment. As this game is so awesome.

Looks like I'll have to skip this game. ?

Edited by Stebro

Those with the "AF"?

Yes, AF is the abbreviation for the African continent.

This game is dead here. 

I am familiar with this predicament from another game that suffered from similar problems. Particularly Australian and African communities suffer from player shortage, especially in the Indie game sector. (Un-)Fortunately developers are not able to forcibly get people to buy and play the game.

Looks like I'll have to skip this game. ?

Unfortunately you become part of the problem with that attitude (even though those are most certainly understandable).

A solution to this problem requires some community effort, to get the ball rolling. The topic creator mentioned a large player base that is unsatisfied with the Battlefield franchise. If they are correct, certain requirements are met but without traction motion is hard to generate.

In particular this means to recruit players through any means possible.

• Do (South) African players have a community presence on any kind of social platform (Discord, Facebook, Reddit, Steam, forums, etc)?
    • If you have, use those to spread the word.
    • If not, create them, advertise them.
  • Does one have contacts to (South) African game bloggers/journalist/youtubers?
    • If one does, Convince them to cover the game.
    • If not, become one.
  • Use this sub forum to rally (South) African players.
  • Get The Farm 51 to support your community efforts via social media through shout-outs and promotion.

Will we get servers in South Africa or is this one of those games like Black squad, Call of duty and Battlefield that said we will get / might get servers just for sales? any developers want to answer this?

/merged

We do have servers in Johannesburg, but the issue is twofold:

The matchmaker is waiting for a lobby to form for about 30s right now. If no players join the lobby (if nobody is trying to join the same gamemode/map from the same region), it will find a match with players, which is probably going to be in the EU, since it's our biggest and most populated region. This means that AF server is not spooled up and it's harder to join on it. The same problem occurred after all servers went down for 0.3 update, and first servers were opened in South America, making a lot of NA players being sent to those servers, since they had players.

The second problem is that we can see only a handful of players actually playing from South Africa, despite sending us a LOT of requests even before the game launched. This means it will be hard to get a full match, when we have 7 possible server configurations to queue for, dividing all players into 7 queues. This comes from 2 Warzone variants, each on 3 different maps + TDM.

Now, we're making some changes to the matchmaking and it will move players to good ping servers first, not populated ones, but that might result in a lot of half-empty matches.

And of course, the solution to this problem is in part a server browser, which we are planning, but that's after we've got the matchmaking to work well, and since we don't know how long it will take, we can't promise a server browser anytime soon.

As for why those server are even there, we decided that since other games don't bother with AF servers, we can be different and really show the community we do care :P It actually took some effort to set up those, it's not easy to do :P

• Like 1