Sign in to follow this  
soyman

GPU only around 30% usage in game?

I only get around 30% GPU usage in game but 100% while in the menu? hope this gets fixed with the patch. (GTX 1080)

Menue usage does not matter. Your low gpu usage in game means your cpu is in the limits.

wait for cpu optimization or buy a better cpu or overclock.

when aou want Your GPU to work more turn scaling up to 150. looks much better.my 1080ti can

handle it @whqd.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Garack said:

Menue usage does not matter. Your low gpu usage in game means your cpu is in the limits.

when aou want Your GPU to work more turn scaling up to 150. looks much better.my 1080ti can

handle it @whqd.

not true, i had the same issue with my 1070 my cpu wouldnt get more than 50-60% and my gpu stayed around 40% temps were more than fine, occasionally the gpu would bump up to 90% for a minute or 2 and the whole game would run like butter

cpu or memory bottleneck. most likely the CPU not being fast enough so the GPU doesn't have a lot of input to make it work from the CPU.

i had this issue, it is not neccisarily a bottleneck, with a i7 6700k and a gtx 1070 with 32 gigs of ram i only had around 40% gpu usage while my cpu was never over 60%. 

i bumped up my resolution scale to 150% and it fixed my fps back up to 60s-80s and my gpu is now at 100% and the game runs overall much better 

i should have mentioned my cpu is

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1231 v3

and it also runs around 40% when in game I have 16gb ram and the game is on a ssd it's just this game because most games i get 80% - 100% usage from both my gpu and cpu like pubg the gpu uses 100% cpu and gpu.

16 hours ago, Garack said:

handle it @whqd.

5 hours ago, Uglylittlebush said:

not true, i had the same issue with my 1070 my cpu wouldnt get more than 50-60% and my gpu stayed around 40% temps were more than fine, occasionally the gpu would bump up to 90% for a minute or 2 and the whole game would run like butter

4 hours ago, TZoningHard said:

cpu or memory bottleneck. most likely the CPU not being fast enough so the GPU doesn't have a lot of input to make it work from the CPU.

i should have mentioned my cpu is

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1231 v3

and it also runs around 40% when in game I have 16gb ram and the game is on a ssd it's just this game because most games i get 80% - 100% usage from both my gpu and cpu like pubg the gpu uses 100% cpu and gpu.

4 hours ago, Uglylittlebush said:

i had this issue, it is not neccisarily a bottleneck, with a i7 6700k and a gtx 1070 with 32 gigs of ram i only had around 40% gpu usage while my cpu was never over 60%. 

i bumped up my resolution scale to 150% and it fixed my fps back up to 60s-80s and my gpu is now at 100% and the game runs overall much better 

i'll try that now

4 hours ago, Uglylittlebush said:

nah didnt work still my cpu and gpu around 40% - 50% my gpu did get like 7c hotter so it did something and in game im getting between 30 - 120fps so its deff a optimization issue

@soyman it says that CPU only gets up to 3.8 which is very low. I think Xeons are workload/server CPUs. This game still needs a lot of single corepower. What freq is it running at are you OC it?

seems like its only a problem u get with 1070 or better as far as I heard until now

1 hour ago, TZoningHard said:

@soyman it says that CPU only gets up to 3.8 which is very low. I think Xeons are workload/server CPUs. This game still needs a lot of single corepower. What freq is it running at are you OC it?

not true a Xeon is basically ur average i7 unlocked without integrated GPU, but that Xeon is kinda old tho so yeah that might be the reason

This looks like a maximum 4th or 5th gen Xeon because DDR3 and no DDR4

Edited by Úlfhéðnar

I had to set my resolution scale to 200% in order to get rid of all of the stuttering along with setting everything to ultra and ticking everything else in the video settings to enabledalong setting the field of view to 100%. for my 1600 *900 resolution

i like thos answer with "CPU BOTTLENECK !" without even knowing the guy CPU :D it's a question of poor game optimization, thats why we need find the tricky optimal settings between all the graphic options to "low - ultra" to counter balance the actual poor optimization...

2 hours ago, Otsune said:

i like thos answer with "CPU BOTTLENECK !" without even knowing the guy CPU :D it's a question of poor game optimization, thats why we need find the tricky optimal settings between all the graphic options to "low - ultra" to counter balance the actual poor optimization...

Of course its CPU bottleneck. Its an Unoptimized UE4 Engine multiplayer game. Your GPU doenst matter much. If if its not the best, then you have lots of options ingame to control FPS. For CPU there are no sliders, well perhaps shadows can eat cpu time but the rest mostly not.

but yeah, we have to wait for optimizations like player culling or other systems that takes some load from the cpu.

4 hours ago, Úlfhéðnar said:

not true

What? a Xeon most definitely IS a workstation/server cpu.

They aren't made for gaming. My cad/cam workstation has a Xeon, my home rig has an i7. Guess which one games better. 

Both pc's were practically identical,until I swapped out the GTX1080 for a Quadro, I won't even attempt to game on my work pc now.

This xeon has the same performance as a 4770 and it cant overclock.

Edited by Garack

4 hours ago, Garack said:

This xeon has the same performance as a 4770 and it cant overclock.

Again not true. U can use the so BCLK to overlock the CPU while u cannot increase the multiplier this is another way to overclock ur CPU not as good as Multiplier but still overclocking

image.png.381bd96e09a8abe85cbf62a7292de194.png

You can game on a xeon but they are meant for 24/7/365 servers and are almost always not overclockable because that market wants efficiency per watt and volume of space taken up . Usually no integrated graphics as well.

You can game on them but on a Xeon which has more slower cores but more of them by average.

1 hour ago, TZoningHard said:

image.png.381bd96e09a8abe85cbf62a7292de194.png

You can game on a xeon but they are meant for 24/7/365 servers and are almost always not overclockable because that market wants efficiency per watt and volume of space taken up . Usually no integrated graphics as well.

You can game on them but on a Xeon which has more slower cores but more of them by average.

there are 2 types of Xeon one is the i7 without graphics other one is special server CPU with alot of cores

14 hours ago, Otsune said:

16 hours ago, Úlfhéðnar said:

seems like its only a problem u get with 1070 or better as far as I heard until now

not true a Xeon is basically ur average i7 unlocked without integrated GPU, but that Xeon is kinda old tho so yeah that might be the reason

This looks like a maximum 4th or 5th gen Xeon because DDR3 and no DDR4

18 hours ago, TZoningHard said:

7 hours ago, Úlfhéðnar said:

Again not true. U can use the so BCLK to overlock the CPU while u cannot increase the multiplier this is another way to overclock ur CPU not as good as Multiplier but still overclocking

my cpu runs 3.8 and it doesn't go over 40% usage while playing this game. sometimes i get around 120fps but most of the time its at 60fps even drops to 30fps. didn't think i could overclock it since it's a xeon but i'll google it later and try

Unreal needs a good single core it wont use more the one. Its prob  40% because the game cant use more then one core my CPU sits a 26-40% but Im getting 4400-4500MHz clock keeping me at 70-80 with a Vega 64 at 60-99% load but 1400-1440MHz. You cant raise the core clock which is what you need to run the game better on a xeon.

4 hours ago, TZoningHard said:

Unreal needs a good single core it wont use more the one. Its prob  40% because the game cant use more then one core my CPU sits a 26-40% but Im getting 4400-4500MHz clock keeping me at 70-80 with a Vega 64 at 60-99% load but 1400-1440MHz. You cant raise the core clock which is what you need to run the game better on a xeon.

Incorrect all my 12 logical cores are in use when playing the game unreal engine has evolved 

idk if that was sarcasm but devs said that the game is single core only because of ue4 is made that way.

2 hours ago, TZoningHard said:

idk if that was sarcasm but devs said that the game is single core only because of ue4 is made that way.

UE is defenitly not made that way but the game doesnt use full potential of the CPUs thats true tho

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/164573/how-many-cores-does-ue4-support.html

There is even an article in the UE4 wiki showing proper code to use multiple cores

Edited by Úlfhéðnar