Sign in to follow this  
forgedinflame

Would you guys want more realistic 1x optics?

Realistic optics?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want more realistic optics in WW3? (Blurred housing, floating reticle)

• Yes!
    • No!

If you've ever used red dot sights IRL you would know that the in-game depiction of red dot optics is entirely off. Video games rarely if ever get red dots right and usually use some shitty DoF effect that they put in the wrong place, etc. As it stands, WW3 deals with 1x sights in the generic way, just slapping them on the screen with zero distortion. This results in some sights being incredibly bulky and annoying to use. They're obtrusive. Moreover, they do not accurately reflect how these scopes actually work.

If realistic red dots were implemented in WW3, the scope housing of the sight would be very blurred out/transparent because you use red dots by looking PAST them. The end result is essentially a floating reticle in midair. It would look a little something like this except with the sight housing even MORE transparent due to the way your eye works. 

I think reworking 1x optics to be more realistic would improve the immersion and realism factor while making gunplay more fun.

Thoughts? If you don't want this, please share why!

This isn't a case of "this game must be realism simulator". It's more like, this will make the game itself more fun AND it just happens to be realistic. Think about it: Right now, the ONLY red dot type sight worth using is that square one with the really wide lens. It's the least obtrusive sight by far. Making 1x scopes more realistic would allow you to use whatever you want essentially. 

Edited by forgedinflame

That's a good point, but as far I'm concerned, it doesn't affect me, either way. I've never used a red dot in real life, so I wouldn't know how it's supposed to behave. So, for me, there is no problem with immersion/realism.

They may use it this way so it's not OP/trying to balance things. If you have a floating red dot, with little to no housing/obstruction, it would make it a must-have.

I'm just speculating and giving my personal opinion, but I can see that if you know how red-dot works, it might be strange that is really far from reality...

13 hours ago, forgedinflame said:

If you've ever used red dot sights IRL you would know that the in-game depiction of red dot optics is entirely off. Video games rarely if ever get red dots right and usually use some shitty DoF effect that they put in the wrong place, etc. As it stands, WW3 deals with 1x sights in the generic way, just slapping them on the screen with zero distortion. This results in some sights being incredibly bulky and annoying to use. They're obtrusive. Moreover, they do not accurately reflect how these scopes actually work.

If realistic red dots were implemented in WW3, the scope housing of the sight would be very blurred out/transparent because you use red dots by looking PAST them. The end result is essentially a floating reticle in midair. It would look a little something like this except with the sight housing even MORE transparent due to the way your eye works. 

I think reworking 1x optics to be more realistic would improve the immersion and realism factor while making gunplay more fun.

Thoughts? If you don't want this, please share why!

This isn't a case of "this game must be realism simulator". It's more like, this will make the game itself more fun AND it just happens to be realistic. Think about it: Right now, the ONLY red dot type sight worth using is that square one with the really wide lens. It's the least obtrusive sight by far. Making 1x scopes more realistic would allow you to use whatever you want essentially. 

so when reading this i decided to grab my rifle with the equivalent of a reflex sight made by truglo, i looked down it and focused at differant ranges. i notice a lot of blurring but the housing did not become suddenly transparent. i will note that when shooting i close my left eye because seeing 2 sight housings is distracting as all get out for me. i would say the blur that you have depicted is fairly accuarate, i would say a little too strong ( maybe drop that by 20%)  but the "transparency" is not the case for me. but what do i know ive only handled guns my whole life ;)

Not all 1x sights do that. I run a vortex prisim 1x scope with a vortex 3x mag and even in 1x I can still see the housing of my optic. However I do agree they could blur the housing more in game and would be better. Also would like to see a true acog scope in the game as they are quite popular. Hopefully down the road.

Hey looks neat, I'll see what we can figure out here, keep in mind not everything that looks good IRL look good in-game but I'll see what we can do. If anything the optics certainly need more blur.

• Like 5

I would love to see them add a FLIR/IRNV scopes for dark areas of the maps. BF3/BF4 and other games had them and they were fun.

28 minutes ago, ZeuZ said:

I would love to see them add a FLIR/IRNV scopes for dark areas of the maps. BF3/BF4 and other games had them and they were fun.

NO

18 minutes ago, DoctorMcBatman said:

NO

Hmm in a semi-realstic combat type game, why not?

On 11/5/2018 at 3:57 PM, Borreh said:

Hey looks neat, I'll see what we can figure out here, keep in mind not everything that looks good IRL look good in-game but I'll see what we can do. If anything the optics certainly need more blur.

I've played shooters for over a decade and I don't think I've ever seen a 'realistic' implementation of 1x optics yet. Nobody ever tries to properly simulate looking through one of these sights with both eyes open. I've used EoTech holographic sights in real life and the difference is just astounding. If this game could pull it off, that would be yet another interesting way it differentiates itself from the crowd. NOT EVEN ARMA GETS THIS RIGHT!

On that note, I just want to say that I didn't actually expect a developer to read my post and respond, so thanks!

Wish you guys the best, I think this is a really interesting project and I hope it you guys have a bright future with it!

• Like 2

I really like how Tarkov Did optics. In my opinion that is the most realistic yet. I hate how games always zoom in the the entire screen when a scope has any magnification on it instead of just zooming the scoped area and leaving the surrounding area normal viewing distance.