Sign in to follow this  
TheEagleTrooper

PTE in Early access?

^ im having a lot of difficulty trying to get into the PTE now, also when i was in the PTE for 10 or so minutes my loadouts werent saving properly and would revert to default. if this patch flew into the normal branch with these kind of bugs id be a wee bit frustrated. PTE is a great idea

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Borreh said:

So the wider public won't get access to a broken patch.

But isnt that the thing about early access? EA = PTE imo

You use a PTE once the game is fully released, but i think i understand why you have chosen for the PTE.

You are a indie developer and trying to keep the player base, most people dont give a sh*t about a game being early access and think they get the full experience.

9 minutes ago, TheEagleTrooper said:

But isnt that the thing about early access? EA = PTE imo

You use a PTE once the game is fully released, but i think i understand why you have chosen for the PTE.

You are a indie developer and trying to keep the player base, most people dont give a sh*t about a game being early access and think they get the full experience.

The last sentence sums it up pretty well.

Besides, there's a fair difference between the game being unfinished and pushing a patch that can potentialy make the game worse than it was before (if something will be broken and we won't find it) - Even in EA you expect the product to become better, not worse and/or non-functional, thus a PTE for such potential issues is the safest option. We've already been burned once by now, we don't want that to happen again.

Edited by Borreh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its a pretty obvious thing to do, To bad not many devs actually use a test serve even for full released games.

This is  a very good sign

• Like 1

Its alpha testing the alpha build lol.perhaps we should test the pte tests build too, then..lol just kidding.?

well everyone does this. Squad, star citizen and s on. Welcome ro the world of EA invented by Steam. 

Edited by Garack

1 hour ago, TZoningHard said:

Its a pretty obvious thing to do, To bad not many devs actually use a test serve even for full released games.

This is  a very good sign

Every game i have ever played has a PTE. i don't know what are you talking about and i dont know why are people confused about PTE.

Like seriously, i made the mistake to look on the twitter comments of the post saying  ''we have launched PTE... ... '' and i lost brain cells. Are so many people THAT ignorant or is it easier for me to understand because i am a programmer? i have no idea.

Edited by Soyrice

There's a few benefits of having the PTE up:

• Lets the QA team focus on fining reproductions to hard bugs,
  • Lets people a taste of what's coming earlier and potentially make it better for all the people,
  • Speeds up development (since we don't have to test internally which takes a lot of time out of every dev day, we don't have a massive 200 people QA dept.),
  • Lets us find bugs that are very hard to catch with more congested servers.

There is also a negative:

• Costs us a bit more money to keep dedicated machines up for testing environment,

But overall, this is not delaying patches, but speeding them up and it's an opt-in - you don't have to do it and it doesn't affect you if you don't. So IMO this is awesome :D

• Like 4