Sign in to follow this  
ChronicGamesturbator

QuickSilverX Game Engine

Wondering if the devs have taken a look at it. Might be less problematic than the U4 engine. Just look at how well Ring of Elysium runs (even when it was in its alpha stage) vs PUBG which uses the U4 engine. I've no idea what the investment  would be vs your current one. 

Edited by ChronicGamesturbator

Yes, because moving the whole game to a new completely different engine is quick, cheap and easy.

Also Ring of Elysium looks shitty compared to WW3

What they should do is to update the engine to the last version and try to do what Insurgency did in their last update which improved performance by a lot! 

I've got months of pre Steam ROE under my belt and I can assure you it ran very smoothing for me with rare exceptions (most toward the end before they took it offline). And I was playing on Asian servers! Not once did the game ever stutter unlike PUBG which is plagued by it even though it's a "finished" product. Anyway, I was just making a suggestion to look at the Quicksilver game engine as it might be less costly in the long run. Only the devs would know how to answer that. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:40 AM, ChronicGamesturbator said:

Wondering if the devs have taken a look at it. Might be less problematic than the U4 engine. Just look at how well Ring of Elysium runs (even when it was in its alpha stage) vs PUBG which uses the U4 engine. I've no idea what the investment  would be vs your current one. 

The problem is not UE4 in any way. Both Fortnite and Paragon use the UE4 engine and those games are beautifully optimized. 

The issue with optimization is twofold. Firstly it's difficult for indie studios to get people that have lots of experience with engine and network optimization. Pretty much all the talent gets gobbled up by the big name studios. Smaller studios often end up having to figure it out as they go. Secondly in terms of netcode optimization the UE4 engine doesn't come with a lot of good documentation for it's networking features. I got the chance to talk to a couple UE4 engineers at a convention a year ago and they told me the reason there is minimal documentation for the networking related features is due none of the engineers that worked on UE4's networking features wanting to step forward and take charge of providing the in depth documentation. 

Additionally World War 3 is a game that features both large view distances, lots of players in a match, and lots of appearance customization. Those three things add up to a lot of draw calls which depending on how the levels are set up can result in a lot of CPU load as Draw Calls are CPU expensive. There are techniques that can be used to clean up the CPU usage but they either come with their own drawbacks either in terms of optimization hits elsewhere (filesize, RAM usage, VRAM usage, etc) in require a significant investment in terms of developer time.

Porting to another engine isn't viable option in any form. The only things that would be transferable would be the mesh and texture assets. Everything else including all of the existing code would have to rebuilt from scratch, this would be enormously time consuming in and of itself, and that's without counting the time that would have to be spent training the developers on using the new engine.

That said the rain on the Berlin map should not be causing 20 FPS drops. That's not excusable even for a low budget studio. 

Edited by Crinn

On 11/13/2018 at 8:53 PM, Crinn said:

Secondly in terms of netcode optimization the UE4 engine doesn't come with a lot of good documentation for it's networking features. I got the chance to talk to a couple UE4 engineers at a convention a year ago and they told me the reason there is minimal documentation for the networking related features is due none of the engineers that worked on UE4's networking features wanting to step forward and take charge of providing the in depth documentation. 

To be fair, our network traffic is really well optimized and we're starting to do the same to the rest of the game. We're using less than 25% of what BF1 uses when it comes to network traffic, and that's with 100hz sendrate from the client and 60 from the server.

Rest of the post is spot on, it's the draw calls that are the problem and we are optimizing particles right now as well.

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:11 AM, Ragir said:

To be fair, our network traffic is really well optimized and we're starting to do the same to the rest of the game. We're using less than 25% of what BF1 uses when it comes to network traffic, and that's with 100hz sendrate from the client and 60 from the server.

Rest of the post is spot on, it's the draw calls that are the problem and we are optimizing particles right now as well.

I wasn't thinking of actual network traffic, but rather server resources getting consumed doing networking related tasks. I've worked on a couple UE4 projects in the past and have seen issues where there is superfluous CPU resources being consumed typically because of excessive and/or unnecessary use of variable/object replication because the programmers weren't aware of the costs of replication because the people over at Epic didn't bother to mention the serverside cpu hit of replication in their documentation.

Now I obviously have no idea what your servers look like and can only make guesses based on what little information is available to me the end user. I did not mean to challenge your work, just sharing my experiences with the engine.

On 11/15/2018 at 2:11 AM, Ragir said:

Why does performance bomb when you ADS or even shoot the weapon? I lose like 20fps just emptying my magazine.  

13 minutes ago, Artaxiad300062 said:

Why does performance bomb when you ADS or even shoot the weapon? I lose like 20fps just emptying my magazine.  

its been optimized in patch 0.2 to have a fps drop when fireing.

1 minute ago, TZoningHard said:

its been optimized in patch 0.2 to have a fps drop when fireing.

Sorry, I did not understand your comment. So the optimization gets rid of the loss of FPS when firing weapons in 0.2? 

yeah I didn't notice the drops in the PTE. I didn't really notice at first in live till people started saying stuff about it but it seems to not lose frames any more with the new tracer models.

Sign in to follow this