Sign in to follow this  
DoctorMcBatman

Allowing mods, users to use the assets/editor?

It's been a long time since a major FPS let the community use the editor/assets to build maps, weapons, skins, etc.. Any chance The Farm 51 will allow this at some point after release?

It sort of goes hand in hand with allowing player-owned/rented servers.

But I think this could be a really cool thing to do that really no modern FPS has done. And given The Farm 51's receptiveness to ideas/suggestions, figured I'd start a dialogue on it. UE4 is obviously something quite a lot of developers/gamers are familiar with.

Anyway, what do you think?

• Like 1

You can already use the editor. The game is built on UE4 and uses the UE4 editor which is a free download. You just wouldn't have the assets. Which for the record they might not be able to release depending on if they are using purchased assets/plugins from a third party. Which is a pretty common thing for indie studios to do.

Moreover it doesn't really make sense. Allowing mods requires segmenting the player base as people using mods can't be on the same server as people not using the same mods. For a game like WW3 that has a small sized playerbase this could be disastrous.

14 minutes ago, Crinn said:

You can already use the editor. The game is built on UE4 and uses the UE4 editor which is a free download. You just wouldn't have the assets. Which for the record they might not be able to release depending on if they are using purchased assets/plugins from a third party. Which is a pretty common thing for indie studios to do.

Moreover it doesn't really make sense. Allowing mods requires segmenting the player base as people using mods can't be on the same server as people not using the same mods. For a game like WW3 that has a small sized playerbase this could be disastrous.

As I said in my post, this would be for post-release, when the player base is healthy. 

Wasn't sure if indie studios customize the UE4 editor further than the regular version. Makes sense re: assets.

The community manager posted in another saying they are working on community tools for player creations actually. 

Edited by DoctorMcBatman

Sign in to follow this