maddinii

[TUT]Building your weapon

Introduction

There is a bunch of different caliber rifles, all with different rpm (Rounds per Minute) and different handling (recoil). You can put basically any scope you want on the weapon of your choice and you have a variety of option to lower recoil, spread, etc. Different weapon calibers have different damage value and rpm. A faster weapon does not necessarily deal more damage then a slower weapon, since the slower weapons usually have a higher base damage then the faster versions. The following overview might help you to choose a weapon. I am deliberately not listing all of them for reasons.

Assault Rifles and Battle Rifles

• 7.62 x 39MM Caliber rifles come with a base damage of -38-, but are quite slow
  • .300 Blackout rifles come with a base damage of -35- and are "in the middle" with rpm
  • 5.56 x 45MM rifles are the fastest but also have the lowest base damage of -30-
  • 7.62 x 51MM rifles have a higher base damage of -40-, but are also slower 

Light Machine Guns

• 7.62 x 51MM LMG's come with a base damage of -40-, the main difference here is Recoil
  • 7.62 x 54MM LMG's have a higher base damage of -43- but are also harder to control

Sniper Rifles

• 12.9 x 99MM sniper rifles are the beasts of the battlefield, but very very heavy with a base damage of 120 - 150
  • 7.62 x 51MM sniper rifles are not quite as heavy and have a base damage of 90 - 100
  • .338 Lapua sniper rifles have a damage of 110 - 140, but weight more then the smaller part

Sub Machine Guns

• 9 x 19MM SMG's are very quick, but have a low range and a moderate damage of -32-
  • 9 x 18MM SMG's have a higher base damage of -37- but are a lot slower

*These base damage values might change at any time
*The colors are based on my personal feelings and you might think different about it

The Weight

The Weight of your weapon will have direct impact on your game. A lighter loadout will make your overall more maneuverable, you can run faster and your recovery time after jumping will be lower. A better Armor will provide more cover and you'll be harder to kill, at the expense of slow movement and you'll be able to carry only one primary weapon ( I'm not counting SMG's as primary weapon ). It is totally worth saving on weight with the attachments, as there is a strict weight limit. However it is not totally necessary, you still have enough free room to modify your weapon as you wish and have a good armor, you just won't be able to carry a second primary weapon then. For people that like rushing to objectives i do recommend to keep a low profile, as it will make you move faster. 

The Sight(s)

Sights are a key part in this game and your sight will have a huge impact on your accuracy as person. Each sight has a different Magnification ( The Zoom of the sight ) and as a little bonus they will also change your FOV (Field of View). The FOV will change how much of the battlefield you will see. The following to pictures illustrate the difference of a maximum field of view and minimum field of view. The FOV has no negative impact on your game, so i recommend you choose the one that you feel most comfortable with. 

678AF24B901646FE88F0B846A45923F00B9E2291

42DA50373A4E443B9ECC6755E2696AE9BF37284D

Besides the changes in the Field of View and magnification it will also have a different crosshair. The Linked topic below will give you an example of all scopes and how they look like when zoomed in. Don't get irritated from the huge blurred out code, it's just the way the forum works. 

Follow this link for a demonstration of all scopes.

The Barrel

The barrel will change quite a few of your weapon behaviors. To begin with: The standard barrel is the medium barrel which has neither positive nor negative impacts on your weapon. The long range barrel will decrease your firing speed and increase your range. Also it will lower your recoil and lower your equip speed but has a heavier weight than it's counterpart. At this point some might think, that the short version does the exact opposite, but that's not quite correct. A shorter barrel will also decrease your recoil, but not for the same amount as a long barrel. The medium barrel will also decrease your recoil by 0.1 which is the standard. 

For clarification:

• Increased Fire Speed ✓
  • Increased Range ✓
  • Lower Recoil ✓
  • Lower equip speed ✓

• Decreased Fire Speed x 
  • Decreased Range x 
  • Higher equip speed x 

it is important to adapt the barrel to your play style, as otherwise you will be ineffective while shooting. As an example: If you prefer rushing enemies down, you'll often find yourself in a close combat situation. A short range barrel will suit you well here. If you sometimes rush and sometimes not, then just go for the basics. Otherwise if you like moving slowly, finding a cover and staying alive go for the long range barrel. You can also go for the long range barrel if you have recoil problems, but there is hidden modifications in the barrel that will make you less effective on close range then. I often find myself choosing a barrel depending on the weapon i'm using, which makes me play different weapons for different maps and scenarios. For example i'll pick a short barrel on the Alpha, but a long one on the AK-15 and the standard one on the G36. I use the Alpha to roam around maps areas with large open spaces and the Alpha mainly for close combat. 

The Muzzle

We all love the silencer, but before you equip it. Think about your play style again. Are you really the right person for a silencer? The silencer is very usefully for people that don't want to be spotted immediately, like those that move from cover to cover (long range barrel), but there is simply no point in attaching a silencer, if the enemy is basically right in your face and can see you anyway. For close combat go with a compensator of your choice. The compensator will make up a little bit for the recoil that you missed out when you picked a short barrel, as it will lower your recoil more then a silencer. 

The Lower

This part is a bit Tricky. Yes you all like the lower recoil and lower spread but it can also be hindering you from landing your shots. For this reason a lower spread is marked red. This will probably make no sense when you read it: Why would i want to have more spread? Don't get me wrong, you can greatly benefit from a lower spread, if you have a high accuracy and reasonable good recoil management, but the majority of players will have an average accuracy and average recoil management.

Before answering your question i need to give a brief explanation of what spread does in game. The recoil will make your shots land on a vertical line (↕). The spread will make your bullets land on a horizontal line (⟷). If you had no spread and no recoil you would be hitting the same spot dead on over and over again. If you had no recoil but some spread, your bullets would land on a very small horizontal line and sometimes hit the center, but not always. 

So. Players with a good accuracy would aim for a specific spot on your body (example: head) and a low spread would make them hit the head more often then with a high spread (should make sense?). Most players however will aim for the body and won't be so precise. The body is a significantly larger area. If you are moving around and maybe miss the target, with a high spread there is a 50 / 50 chance, that your bullet will land on the target anyway, as it was spread out. The chance i just made up for demonstration purposes it's not confirmed. So if you aimed a little bit to far left of a target you still have a chance on hitting the target when you have spread. But even with a good accuracy you can benefit from it in a way. The main body will have armor, but the arms and legs etc. does not. So with spread you'd sometimes hit the armor and sometimes hit non-armored areas. 

All in all this makes me come to the conclusion, that a higher spread will be better for most people. So don't hesitate to pick a grip that has a higher spread or recoil value, because you can also benefit from it. Personally i like the monster grip and UKM Ankle Grip. I use the monster grip in close combat so i can precisely aim for the head and the Ankle Grip for medium range distance, but i wouldn't use it for a long range distance. 

The Side

With thermal scopes and the maps being fairly ok light up, you might think that you don`t need a flashlight or laser for your weapon and if you are playing a sniper rifle or a light machine gun this might even be true for you. For the assault rifle however it is a must have. There is some dark spots out there and you don`t want to be there if you haven`t got at least a flashlight. The laser i think is very usefully for when you are checking corners, as you don`t have to necessarily look trough your sight, if the enemy is right in front of you, you can just line up your laser instead. For me the laser also helps me keep focus of the center so i can aim faster when looking trough the sight. I constantly switch it on and off throughout the entire match. If you didn`t pick a Grip with a Light / Laser you`d be well suited with a side attachment, you just can`t do anything wrong when having one. PS: Check out the Shotgun + Laser combination if you really want to be a beast. 

The Magazine

Be carefully with the choice of your magazine. Some people tend to spray a lot and choosing a smaller magazine could help these people to land shots more accurately or survive longer, as they'll need to find cover and reload. Some people almost never find a cover to reload their weapon and will reload their weapon after each kill (bad habit). A bigger magazine size could counter this habit a little bit and enhance your play style of not finding cover, as you can keep going for a longer time. If you are already playing a lot with cover and don't like to be first man in, then don't pick the largest magazine available, as it will increase your weight and can (but not necessarily will) decrease your accuracy. 

The Additional Ammo 

Armor Piercing (AP), Hollow Point (HP) or Full Metal Jacket (FMJ)? First of all FMJ is your standard ordinary ammunition. The stuff that you are using anyway. If you feel like you are struggling with magazines this might be an option for you. Personally i use FMJ a lot and i would only switch to a specific ammunition type if i'm really in a situation, like i have to check out a building with multiple enemies inside then i'd switch to AP. HP Does more damage to flesh, but less damage to armor and AP is the exact opposite, dealing more damage to armor and less damage to flesh. FMJ is the balanced middle of that. 

The follow picture shows a rough, but not exact illustration of the specific target areas. Don't get fooled thinking, that HP area is much larger, as most of the time when you encounter an enemy you won't be able to see the entire body and usually the Head or Torso is what sticks out. Also as mentioned, this is not an exact representation. 

• Hollow Point
  • Armor Piercing

Armor.png.7994c22eb722561cc99387a21aa855cf.png

Edited by maddinii
Fixed vertical horizontal
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Nice guide, just one question: are you going to keep this updated while we make changes? It would be a cool thing to have.

I also will let designers here, so they can check if you didn't miss something or got something wrong :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ragir said:

Nice guide, just one question: are you going to keep this updated while we make changes? It would be a cool thing to have.

I also will let designers here, so they can check if you didn't miss something or got something wrong :)

Yes i will keep it updated. I`m following the patch logs. :)

@maddinii or @Ragir 

my question is: does it matter which kind of compensator or which kind of grip I have or do they have the same stats across the board? 

If all grips or  compensatoers were granting the same bonuses even after further developement it would be a (minor) letdown to me. 

I mean there are easily a lot of statistics, other that the 3 already present, that can be linked at least to the grips like

-First shot recoil reduction or faster recoil recovery, since all the guns have quite a jump (useful to single tap for exe)

-Accuracy for small bursts

-reduced penality for spraying

-weapon steadyness

-orizontal recoil

-vertical recoil

-ads spread

-reduced penality for shooting while moving 

and so on. Grips could influence the various statistics in different measures or being more specialized. It sounds weird to me that I could use the same grip for the Ar I use as DMR and the SIG as my secondary and they bring the exactly same bonuses to the table.

EDIT: like there is no need for every piece to be unique. That would be overhelming especially to new players. But having something like 3 groups of compensators (one mainly vertical recoil, the other mainly orizontal and a third in th middle) and something like 3-4 groups for grips (DMR type, raw recoil type, ADS/hipfire type and so on) would be kinda ideal

Edited by Luca602451

1 hour ago, Luca602451 said:

@maddinii or @Ragir 

my question is: does it matter which kind of compensator or which kind of grip I have or do they have the same stats across the board? 

If all grips or  compensatoers were granting the same bonuses even after further developement it would be a (minor) letdown to me. 

I mean there are easily a lot of statistics, other that the 3 already present, that can be linked at least to the grips like

-First shot recoil reduction or faster recoil recovery, since all the guns have quite a jump (useful to single tap for exe)

-Accuracy for small bursts

-reduced penality for spraying

-weapon steadyness

-orizontal recoil

-vertical recoil

-ads spread

-reduced penality for shooting while moving 

and so on. Grips could influence the various statistics in different measures or being more specialized. It sounds weird to me that I could use the same grip for the Ar I use as DMR and the SIG as my secondary and they bring the exactly same bonuses to the table.

EDIT: like there is no need for every piece to be unique. That would be overhelming especially to new players. But having something like 3 groups of compensators (one mainly vertical recoil, the other mainly orizontal and a third in th middle) and something like 3-4 groups for grips (DMR type, raw recoil type, ADS/hipfire type and so on) would be kinda ideal

I really think you should recommend this to the developers in a new forum post. It`s a very interesting thought. 

In this current patch the different compensators are purely cosmetic. Some attachments do have a little (very very little) difference in the weight (Example: Miranda flashlight), but that`s about it. There is no actual difference in the effect of the compensators, but there is however a difference from a compensator to a flash hider (just to keep in mind). Also there is several different grips, one of them is a bipod grip, another one has a flashlight / laser etc. (all do the same thing: reducing the recoil a bit, except the bipod grip).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've changed the stats of most attachments in the 0.2, check them out and let us know your thoughts. Its all really early in development, so every suggestion can be taken seriously :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/21/2018 at 12:34 PM, Ragir said:

We've changed the stats of most attachments in the 0.2, check them out and let us know your thoughts. Its all really early in development, so every suggestion can be taken seriously :)

Nice. Plenty Updates to do in the post then :D but I'll wait untill a few days after the patch is on live. Usually things change pretty quickly after that and some problems can not be out ruled. I'll wait till everything is definate and calm down a bit ☺️ 

Updated for 0.2 and added a few explanations for some of the new stats introduced, such as ADS. Also made some clarifications and change a few previous statements. 

• Like 1

Great guide !

I'd add :

- Supressors reduce sound and suppress muzzle flash, there's no reason to take the flash hider over them atm.

- There are 3 weight classes. The 2 upper classes reduce your speed and increase the time you spend recovering after a high jump.

- Try to maximize your weight : crossing an upper weight class by an inch is the same as almost filling it. Checkout if you can upgrade your guns or armor while still staying in the same weight class ( You can have most guns with Ceramic plates and best helmet while still being in the Medium class)

1 hour ago, JiggyJinjo said:

Great guide !

I'd add :

- Supressors reduce sound and suppress muzzle flash, there's no reason to take the flash hider over them atm.

- There are 3 weight classes. The 2 upper classes reduce your speed and increase the time you spend recovering after a high jump.

- Try to maximize your weight : crossing an upper weight class by an inch is the same as almost filling it. Checkout if you can upgrade your guns or armor while still staying in the same weight class ( You can have most guns with Ceramic plates and best helmet while still being in the Medium class)

Well the weight will reduce your overall speed and if you exceed the bar you'll be extremely slow. Not only does it get frustrating, it also makes you an easy target. As far as I know the suppressor does not hide the weapon flash, only the sound. 

Being able to move relatively quickly seems majorly important in close combat. For example the time you would need to run up the stairs I'm already half way behind you for a flank and I have actually done that many times. Especially in Moscow when I see all team is stuck at one door in bravo 2 I quickly rush the other door and in 3 of 5 times I'm successfully with that. 

For this reason I can not recommend going as heavy as possible unless you are the type of person to enjoy a comparably slow game play. 

Still a good comment, thank you! It might help others 😁😊

13 hours ago, maddinii said:

Well the weight will reduce your overall speed and if you exceed the bar you'll be extremely slow. Not only does it get frustrating, it also makes you an easy target. As far as I know the suppressor does not hide the weapon flash, only the sound. 

Being able to move relatively quickly seems majorly important in close combat. For example the time you would need to run up the stairs I'm already half way behind you for a flank and I have actually done that many times. Especially in Moscow when I see all team is stuck at one door in bravo 2 I quickly rush the other door and in 3 of 5 times I'm successfully with that. 

For this reason I can not recommend going as heavy as possible unless you are the type of person to enjoy a comparably slow game play. 

Still a good comment, thank you! It might help others 😁😊

For the suppressor, I know it reduces the flash when ADSing, I don't know if other people can see it though.

Are you sure about the weight system ? I tried being in the low medium class and then almost in the heavy (while still being medium) and I didn't see any difference.

I'd love a dev to confirm this.

Added recoil vs spread and changed the formatting slightly. Make sure to read the new section, as it`s majorly important. 

Great job once again! Maybe a found a very minor mistake:

The recoil will make your shots land on a horizontal line (↕). The spread will make your bullets land on a vertical line (⟷).

The lines and names are mixed up I think. ^^

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HeiligeRobbe said:

Great job once again! Maybe a found a very minor mistake:

The lines and names are mixed up I think. ^^

Thank you and sorry! 

Another update, make it visually more appealing (hopefully?) and giving a quick overview of the different weapons available. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZmieN said:

Wait, what? Which gun fires .300blk?

MSBS-B... good gun with high repeat rate and decent damage

Well done, nice guide!

But can you add the base damage for the caliber the VEPR uses?