Sign in to follow this  
Hoak

CCC (Command, Control & Communication) System

I hope the current CCC system will be expanded beyond it's context limited single feature. Many on the Steam forums mention or ask for some sort of 'commo rose', pie, or radial menu, but I can find no discussion here. It certainly doesn't have to be pie menus, or even menus at all -- text binds are better then nothing  and any system that offers more capability then the current context limited capture only order would be a boon.

There are many that either can't, won't, or don't want to use VOIP for a litany of good reasons; gamers, serious and casual for whom it's simply not an option -- from 'waking the baby', disturbing room mates and neighbors, to the server they're on doesn't have players speaking their native language. Unfortunately some newer to tactical realism gaming assume that someone that doesn't use VOIP is not a 'team player' -- which in many cases couldn't be further from the truth. 

Then there's the quality of communication issue were many simply don't want to: listen to obnoxious histrionics, tantrums, every kind of -ism, or don't want their kids exposed to this sort of thing.  There is just too much obnoxious and ridiculous VOIP behavior that simply can not be avoided, add nothing to, or even take away from the fun and immersion of a game, military professionalism, and clarity of communication.

Many Players want a more immersive experience with more effective, efficient, high fidelity to realism, results oriented communication -- and various implementations of the 'Radio Menu' have served serious Gamer's well for nearly two decades and continue to do so in some of the best AAA games.

The Battlefield 'Commo Rose' is considered by many to be the poster child for good and easy to use Radio Menu systems; one key can float over 24 commands and its initial absence from Battlefield 3 lead to one of the loudest and longest Fan reactions EA experienced including a threads so long it crashed and corrupted EA's forums, as well as a historic volume of snail mail.

mb5zy1.png

Even many a low budget arcade and action realism shooter in the P4F/P4C venue and tactical realism mods where play share is hyper critical in general recognize the value added and veracity of low-drag, efficient communications and incorporate some variation of a pie or simple radio menu.

2duhxqu.jpg

And it has long been considered essential to serious tactical realism games, from the title that inaugurated the genre, Ghost Recon, which offered a configurable text message bind system that remains a high water mark of flexible design, to the ArmA games, Red Orchestra, BIA and many others...

33xbznd.jpg

Any of these from the simple text message bind system, to the more elaborate systems where TF51 or  even players can pre-record custom radio messages in their native language and bind (in essence giving the game a built in user customization localization and translator) would be preferable to the alternative where VOIP is the only option that many will simply not use.

It's disappointing to see resources squandered on histrionic voice over that have infantry yelling ridiculous, over-acted cartoon epitaphs when the voice actors could be put to good use creating useful content for a functional communication system that added interactivity, depth, and immersion to the game...

Edited by Hoak
  • Like 2

Really, no one gives a shit about communication, and team coordination in this game outside of VOIP?

Really, no one gives a shit about communication, and team coordination in this game outside of VOIP?

Well... at least two people care about that. I also hate playing FPS with shouting kids, cheater accusations, shit background music or crying babies over VOIP, so I always turn it off. And to be completely honest: I feel like a keyboardcommando when playing with a mic.

I do like to play tactical/teambeased… and a simple comms system (like above) would really help. If you are not playing in your own team, but just with random players… those basic commands are probably a more realistic and effective way of communcating than a trashtalk VOIP channel.

• Like 1

It's disappointing to see resources squandered on histrionic voice over that have infantry yelling ridiculous, over-acted cartoon epitaphs when the voice actors could be put to good use creating useful content for a functional communication system that added interactivity, depth, and immersion to the game...

Agreed. Some of the voice actor lines are really cringy. Who on earth says cheesy lines like 'that stings like a motherfu*' when being shot? Just hire an actor to groan, moan or shout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brady_The said:

https://worldwar3.com/en/development-roadmap/ => Winter 2018/2019 => Other improvements and features => Gameplay

I don't see anything about CCC or Menu Driven Communication in the 18/19 section of the roadmap... I do see Voice Over additions, something the game absolutely does NOT need: ergo more stealth robbing automated player screaming histrionic over acted BS, totally out of the player's control, where we should have the player's controlling this. But I'll keep looking...

2 hours ago, Shr!ke said:

Well... at least two people care about that. I also hate playing FPS with shouting kids, cheater accusations, shit background music or crying babies over VOIP, so I always turn it off. And to be completely honest: I feel like a keyboardcommando when playing with a mic.

I do like to play tactical/teambeased… and a simple comms system (like above) would really help. If you are not playing in your own team, but just with random players… those basic commands are probably a more realistic and effective way of communcating than a trashtalk VOIP channel.

It sure was a huge deal circa BF3 when the number of BF fans chiming in created a thread that was over a thousand pages long that crashed the forum, EA also got a lot of good old fashioned snail mail for the lack of menu feature(s) in BF3. I agree, for me and a lot of people my age VOIP is just not an option...

Edited by Hoak
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this