Sign in to follow this  
TZoningHard

Guts shots

@Borreh

Why are gut shots still a thing, They are insta kills pretty much. People die in what seems one shot, makes armor worth even less then it already is and doesn't make the game tactical or force use of cover.

You die just as you even see the dude as he rounds to corner becasue of the latency and extremely low ttk.

Gut shots just end what could of been a good fire fight instantly and is not fun nor skill based play.

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

Gut shots are supposed to be a slow and agonizing death, not an insta-death. Sometimes it even 'feels' like some of these guy's are firing gut-seeking missiles.. Like they're aimbotting straight for the gut, it's weird.

From playing lots of shooters, I still can't shake my old habit of aiming for chest/neck/head. These helmets really kill my flow and these gut shots are always disappointing. I agree with your post.

I'm not one to accuse of aimbotting but yeah I see some people that I believe, hey that could be a aim bot aiming for the gut after getting insta killed several times one round as I would always die to 3 bullets in the gut.

The general TTK to unarmored is already low as its 3 shots from 5.56 to the back for a kill but takes at least 5 to the head to kill most of the time.

It is good to hear that I am not the only one who is having this feeling sometimes. A few times I get killed by gut shots although I am pretty sure the only thing sticking out of cover is my head. But I also have the feeling that the hit overview after you die is pretty buggy so I do not want to make any accusations as well.

the hit overveiw is a bit buggy at times, I think its gotten better but I get the same were I insta die and it shoes gut shots in stead of head or upper chest shots.

Forwarding to @Morp  to see what he thinks about this.

I'm not sure if we should make any changes to the system but hell, we can think about this.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Borreh said:

Forwarding to @Morp  to see what he thinks about this.

I'm not sure if we should make any changes to the system but hell, we can think about this.

How is Morp today? Is he doing well?

Gut shots are op lol. Narrow down the hitbox for it abit atleast. Steel Plating doesnt matter when the shots seem to always find a way to avoid hitting the armor.

• Like 4

There has been no movement on this for a month, Gut shots are legit cancer and the most infuriating thing about this game.

Gut shots legit break this game and make it unfun, I only keep playing after 250 hours because I think that any logical conclusion would come about that they are broken and a good mechanic to this game. Its been a month and no movement on getting rid of this cancer.

This cant be a over sight it has to be deliberate design and Im sorry to who ever came up with the idea but it wont work for a competitive game and its not a realistic

I have put up with the matches being too short with way too many general WZ game mode being in a jumbled mess right now. Pretty much greatly lowers the enjoyment, balance and though needed in the game mode for a hope that it will be reverted. Matches being so short is a massive issues and needs to be reverted. The time and score was changed for people that no longer play the game.

I have put up armor being nerfed, which is some what a negative but not a game ender for me.

I would like a slightly higher TTK but having WW3s current TTK isn't a big deal for me

Suppression is a negative for me and flinch is huge negative. I really want flinch to be reduced at the least because it really hurts this game being competitive, skill based and hardcore but its not as bad as gut shots.

The one thing that is making me not want to play the game is the Gut Shots, I dont even want to log back in and I love this game but its a very big issue when you instantly die to a person that turns a corner on you and kills you with a 3 round burst to the gut in .33 seconds but to you its more like .23 seconds minus your reaction time and mine is very low at around 200ms give or take 10ms. I only have .3 seconds to react adding the time it took before he shot at me which ranges from a quarter to half a second on my screen leading to big issues of reflex over proper aim. 3 shots to the Gut at .33 seconds or 5 to the head at .5-6 with more chance to miss.

It's such a issue and problem I'm just not even looking to opening the game tonight after every time Ive died to night was from gut shots. Every one knows about gut shots and is abusing the hell out of them. Its the one thing outside of match times being too short that is making me not want to play.

I am not burned out with the game, I used to grind 5 hours a work day and 8 a weekend day on KR MMOs. I even played on private bug ridden servers so I'm not affected really by the bug either. IDK what burn out is but after 250 hours and now fights just devolve to shooting at the gut Its just a shame that this great game has such a broken boring meta.

Hardcore players dont come to the forums to bitch unless something is really fucked. I am the exception because I really want to finally have a great game with the least amount of mistakes in balance and game design. I can say that every one I play with from several communities dislikes, hates or think that gut shots doing more damage is completely ludicrous.

I really like the game but there's so much of this I can keep taking this I'm going to go play Planetside 2 and hope this gets fixed. I love the game but all the positives can only go so far.

@Borreh

I like the idea of being able to do more damage to somebody by hitting weak spots in their armor, but it's just too easy to do in its current state. They should consider greatly reducing the size of the gut hitbox so it takes some actual skill to pull off.

The gut is not a vital area and should not be rewarded. If the gut is in any way a better target then the head or chest out side of very heavy armor then it will negate the effect of skilled shooting. You should be aiming for the chest or head like real life even if they have armor. Aiming for the pelvis is for when they dont go down from the first shots usually due to them being hopped up on drugs. I still say that the gut should only be the alternative to shooting at a very heavily armored player and but not a higher damage target then the chest with the next teir armor below the heaviest.

I do thing the chest should be smaller hit box then the outside of the chest. People should have to hit the center of the chest for the real vitals with the outside being the next best outside of the head.

Playing PS2 again and seeing how bad my aim went to trash while playing this game really disappoints me with the skill ceiling of this game. Relying on reflexes rather then pulling off intense encounters revolving around who is the better player rather then who saw who first, latency and luck. I crush in this game yet I'm a only a above average right now and used to be a good playing but not any where near the great players in that game.

This game is kinda easy but has a decent amount of the exchanges come down to chance from ping, random spawns, and random people who just got a lucky shot because your team was unreliable in cover the areas they were at. Low TTK like the gut shot just amplifies that luck. There is skill in positioning and flanking but you still get benefits with a slighting longer TTK for doing such but it lessens a lot of latency derived issues along with the outcome being decided by who shot first because of chance.

I like having a very high skill floor as it keeps the game playable for long periods of time, various things in this game keep the skill ceiling form expanding and worries me about the direction of a hardcore game. Going back for just a while just reaffirms that Low TTK causes issues with the skill ceiling and floor, preventing more depth to the game. Just fixing the gut shot will go along way for skilled play by keeping the TTK from front coming fires

Game has so much potential and has way better shooting then PS2 along with great ideas of potential mechanics and avoiding mistakes PS2 has made.

Gut shots are really annoying especially as some players really only hit the gut and as Grey Wolf said there is a really strong habit to aim for the head or chest after having a long FPS career. But right now latency and "superbullets" as Battlenonsense calls them are an issue on there own. So I would rather see improve on that regard before one makes judgements and changes to other game mechanics based on these technical issues.

I do not know exactly about the hitboxes but maybe the one for the gut is slightly too large and maybe it should be even harder to hit if someone goes crouch or prone but that's just some quick thoughs. Apart of that the gut is maybe not a vital area on its own but gut shots are feared for the danger of bleeding out in agony as Grey Wolf said. Dying slower doesn't mean you don't die anyways so that argument feels odd to me.

What is almost as annoying though is your constant complain about the low TTK @TZoningHard. Everyone who's actively reading the forum by now has gotten your opinion on that matter. You are very focused on the TTK and aiming as determinants of skill and skill ceiling and that is absolutely fine. But your conclusion that the low TTK prevents a higher skill ceiling is a bit narrowminded. Consider that some people do like WW3 for its low TTK and many of them consider themself hardcore players.

2 hours ago, HeiligeRobbe said:

What is almost as annoying though is your constant complain about the low TTK @TZoningHard. Everyone who's actively reading the forum by now has gotten your opinion on that matter. You are very focused on the TTK and aiming as determinants of skill and skill ceiling and that is absolutely fine. But your conclusion that the low TTK prevents a higher skill ceiling is a bit narrowminded. Consider that some people do like WW3 for its low TTK and many of them consider themself hardcore players.

I feel him in a way, because right now the game doesnt really reward good aim. People just shoot towards an enemy and often just aim at their stomach. In CS:GO the TTK is actually high if you have bad aim and cant hit those headshots, but when you finally get that sick aim going, you will remove players in 1-2 shots which greatly reduces the TTK because of your skill. And that gives you a great feeling of accomplishment. Positioning and all is vital in CS:GO aswell, but aim alone can give you a such a huge advantage because you can go from High TTK to Low TTK just by hitting that weak spot. Problem is in WW the weak spot is in the gut, and its really easy to hit. I know its stupid to compare these games as they are very different, but just to make a point. Competitive players want their skills to count for something.

yeap, face/neck shots should be more rewarding IMO, not aiming at the biggest part of enemy's body...

There are three issues with infantry that are making fights less satisfying in my opinion:

• Gut shots
  • Bullets originating from the camera and not the barrel of the gun, resulting in players managing to land hits while maybe only showing a couple of pixels of themselves.
  • Flinching, in real gun fights I'm sure random chance plays a role; guns jam, bullets shatter and cause more damage, grenades don't go off, etc. I've seen various types of rng like this implemented in games before and I've yet to see any player-base really find it anything other than frustrating.

2 hours ago, Tweak said:

I feel him in a way, because right now the game doesnt really reward good aim. People just shoot towards an enemy and often just aim at their stomach. In CS:GO the TTK is actually high if you have bad aim and cant hit those headshots, but when you finally get that sick aim going, you will remove players in 1-2 shots which greatly reduces the TTK because of your skill. And that gives you a great feeling of accomplishment. Positioning and all is vital in CS:GO aswell, but aim alone can give you a such a huge advantage because you can go from High TTK to Low TTK just by hitting that weak spot. Problem is in WW the weak spot is in the gut, and its really easy to hit. I know its stupid to compare these games as they are very different, but just to make a point. Competitive players want their skills to count for something.

For me the issue with the gut is twofold. First, players aren't necessarily targeting gut shots in my experience, but they're using full-auto and firing from the hip, which just results in a random chance of landing that gut shot and hugely increasing your chances of winning a fight. Second, the more skilled players use ADS and naturally lift their aim when landing center of mass shots to try to get a headshot, but with helmets being so good in WW3 this actually just reduces your chances of landing the killer (gut) shot.

• Like 1

I am absolutely with you regarding the head shots. Even with the T3 helmet one should be able to down someone in 3 AR shots at average fighting distances and only 2 inside 50m (and 4 at more than 150m) or so in my opinion. And with the the T4 vest the TTK to the body should be high unless you have a really big gun and/or AP ammo. But on an unarmored target I would prefer a relatively low TTK. This would in my opinion promote aiming for the head a lot more, which means you need a good aim and it could also promote quick tapping or bursting over full spraying a whole magazine on ranges as hitting the head would be more of a necessity to reliably kill someone before reaching cover again. Gut shots are of course a problem there because as of now many players seem to hit the unprotected part of the body only, which neglects armor at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cral said:
There are three issues with infantry that are making fights less satisfying in my opinion:
  • Gut shots
  • Bullets originating from the camera and not the barrel of the gun, resulting in players managing to land hits while maybe only showing a couple of pixels of themselves.
  • Flinching, in real gun fights I'm sure random chance plays a role; guns jam, bullets shatter and cause more damage, grenades don't go off, etc. I've seen various types of rng like this implemented in games before and I've yet to see any player-base really find it anything other than frustrating.

For me the issue with the gut is twofold. First, players aren't necessarily targeting gut shots in my experience, but they're using full-auto and firing from the hip, which just results in a random chance of landing that gut shot and hugely increasing your chances of winning a fight. Second, the more skilled players use ADS and naturally lift their aim when landing center of mass shots to try to get a headshot, but with helmets being so good in WW3 this actually just reduces your chances of landing the killer (gut) shot.

Yeah I agree that a lot of less skilled players are getting lucky extra damage from hitting the gut accidentally. But the meta is being found out about gut shot more and more. A dude I was playing with was raging that he would always shoot first and land all his hits on the head but still would die in pretty much ever engagement. He didn't know about gut shots till I told him then won every engagement after that. Was upset about gut shots being better then heads and being so fast.

Right now more skilled players are shooting for the gut as the 3 shot kill is meta. Makes a lot of issues in the game, and is low effort causing the game to be boring.

11 hours ago, HeiligeRobbe said:

Low TTK is not challenging and requires little effort. It is dull and boring but makes unskilled FPS players happy since they dont have to put much effort into landing consecutive shots to get kills.

The amount of interactions that can occur is severely limited the shorter the TTK gets. This is not a opinion this is mathematical fact, your opinion is wrong and hypocritical to call someone narrow minded.

The amount of depth, variety in weapons that can occur and skill that is required to kill is lowered with the time that it occurs. Trying to tell me the act of landing 3 shots is hard in this game is ludicrous. I am at the top of the score board in kills and I will most of my fights I die less then 15 times in pretty much every game and I can say that this game is a lot easier becasue of the low TTK compared to mid ttk games like Planetside 2

In midrange TTK games you have tactics ( more then Ive seen in this game) you have importance of positioning (more then I see in low ttk games) you have reflex skill affecting how well you do while shooting but not being the main factor

Low TTK is EZ mode and boring as there is a point that you hit a wall and cant develop skill past. It all comes down to reaction time with helps in higher TTK games but doesn't decide the outcome only on the factors of who saw who first and got their shots off.

Hardcore miss labeled by CoD and BF, those games modes are much easier then their arcade counterparts. A actual hardcore FPS would be the Quakes with all the skill required to be good and high skill ceiling. Its a bastardization of the word.

Hardcore in every other game genre means you have to spend a lot of time and effort to get good.

Low TTK is shallow, less skilled, limiting to the firefights, and boring. The fights are decided 90% of the time by who sees and react first between competent players. It pretty much flipping a coin calling heads or tails. Its purpose is one for immersion, two to limit the amount of skill or importance of being a skilled shooter so other aspect become the main deciding factor.

In other games you have to be both a good shooter and good at positioning/tacticsext... the out come isn't just decided off chance and allows more to go on and happens.

But please tell me exactly how Low TTK is require a lot of skill when you just have to land a 3 shot burst the little effort required to do so. Other games have positioning and tactics at much more importance then a lot of low TTK games. Low TTK is meant to lower the skill ceiling go people done have to be good shots to win.

The reason I dislike LoW TTK even though I am still very good at games with low TTK like squad v9, insurgency and WW3 is because it is easy for skilled players but pretty shallow and gets uninteresting. Shooting matters way less then it should in a FPS game for unskilled players to try and win by chance instead of just getting good.

• Like 1

Well @TZoningHard what you said about low ttk is not always true like in rainbow six siege which is a MUCH different game then this the low ttk make that game harder and positioning is really a big factor but every gun in that game is 1 hit head shot so it still rewards head shots

i do agree about gut shots though they shouldn’t pass head shot in damage

@MOBBOB R6S is a casual game with simple easy gunplay as its not meant to be a game based on FPS skill. They wanted the game to be accessible but focus more on gear usage and map knowledge instead of having skilled players be able to outplay bad players. They did what the could to have every one on a equal level shooting wise then pushed "tactics" as any one can do that with out the needed mechanical skill.

That game is not about gunplay, its about strategy.

Its like saying Overwatch is a hardgame when its just a MOBA that has FPS view. That game is MOBA based not FPS based for the outcome of who wins. OW as long as you are competent, is about your team comp and team play not much skill ceiling to outplay people.

Go play a a high skill ceiling game like quake or planetside 2 then tell me that R6S is hard to shoot.

I'm not getting told why low TTK is hard I now its not and Im pretty board right now and dont even want to play as the low ttk just makes every one fall over as you look at them.

video also bring up a lot of similar issues we have in WW3

@TZoningHard I guess, what you said makes sense actually I was thinking what: Games am I bad at and there all higher ttk game I’m bad a most games I play so that doesn’t help but I also can’t play planetside 2 because I’m so bad at it and haven’t dared to touch quake because I know I’ll be trash .

on top of that I have a really slow reaction time and I was silver 2 well playing Cs:go so...

Im also trash at rainbow six but to stay on topic about gut shots

i think heart shots would make more sense so body armor protects the heart because it seems they want a “weak point” that I sing the head but head shot should be the best.

If anything, headshots onto even tier 3 helmets should still cause loads of suppression, flinch, dizzying effects, or even temporary blindness. Taking a headshot onto your helmet in real life is no joke, you will probably still fall down and still get a concussion, the difference is your brains won't be all over the floor because you were wearing a helmet, but you'll still be miserable and probably unconscious or very nauseated.

...Unless it was a high-powered or armor penetrating round, then you'll still definitely die. If I can pay silver to increase my cartridge size and upgrade all of my rounds to armor penetrating so I can make headshots meaningful again, then I'll be happy! I won't care if it increases my weight, I just want headshots to be effective again.

#MakeHeadshotsGreatAgain

• Like 2

I'm reading... Will write you back on this topic, shortly. Keep the discussion up.

Edited by Morp
  • Like 2

I don't like the idea of a higher TTK personally, for a few reasons.

A lot of the discussion around TTK has been focused on 1v1's, but this is a game where you frequently run into groups of players and ideally need to have a fighting chance of winning. When it takes a lot of bullets to kill a single enemy, getting the drop on a group or having a superior position has less impact on the outcome of a fight because in the time it takes to kill just one enemy, all of the others can potentially locate you and start firing. The longer is takes to kill a single enemy the more likely it is that the fight will be decided by who has the superior numbers. When it takes more rounds to kill someone you also then have to start worrying about reloading a lot more, and carrying 60 round magazines pretty much becomes mandatory.

Mid/Long range engagements also suffer with a higher TTK. With how easy it is right now to heal yourself, trying to take someone down at range when they can tank three or four shots and then quickly heal behind cover is a thankless task. I quite like these types of engagements with the current balance, trying to put a couple of rounds into someone and then pushing up and rotating a little while they heal, then repeating until you get close enough to push in and take them down. Increase the TTK however and pushing these players becomes a chore, especially with the way players can peek while only exposing a fraction of their head currently.

When you make the TTK too high you end up with a lot of players simply sprinting around and relying on their reaction speeds to win fights rather than playing slowly and purposefully. EFT suffers from this when everyone has unlocked end-game armor, which is why most players prefer the early stages of the game when everyone has low tier gear and the emphasis in fights is on positioning and surprise rather than dumping mags into each other. I'm all for a high skill ceiling but the game needs to be accessible too to keep new players flowing in and sticking with the game, the key is to find a balance where players new to the game (but not new to shooters) can hold their own while experienced players can find ways to keep improving and sharpening their skills.

I'd like to see the devs keep the TTK roughly the same, reduce the effectiveness of gut shots and increase the effectiveness of headshots.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cral said:

I don't like the idea of a higher TTK personally, for a few reasons... ect -Snip-

its currently takes 3 rounds to 5 to kill a enemy out of a 30 round mag, raising it up to 4 or 5 is minimal enough to swing it away from reaction based gameplay that is decided souly by who sees who first and is heavily affected by latency.

3 is a very low TTK time while 4-5 is still a low TTK time near or even in the low-mid range of TTK. A high TTK would be seconds not less then a second to kill.

It makes people have to aim better to achieve a good TTK instead of not ahving to aim but still having a good TTK.

"High" would reduce the advantages of shooting first, peakers advatage, and latacney by making the TTK longer then the average human reaction time after you also counted the time added on by latency allowing counter play and better aim skill to become more of a factor instead of the factor being rather a person that was competent shot first for many reason including many non skill related reasons.

Right now every one just sprints around anyways and relies on reflex gut shots as the 3 shot TTK is broken. And sprays at people as there is very little penalty for mag dumping as if a couple of those shots land you will win.

This game was said by Kamil to be a Hardcore but still having space for some casuals to enjoy. The hardcore crowd will get board with the low skill ceiling that will stifle many competitive aspects. The Core player base needs to be strong. The skill floor isn't even that high but trying to lower the skill ceiling to keep everyone with in a short distance of level is what many of us have left BF.

Right now the very low TTK has big mechanical problems with latency being a big factor, reflex deciding most fights, narrow room for variety of weapons/play, precision aiming being not much of a factor, insta deaths that prevents new players from being able to attempt to fight back in order to get better, and the low skill ceiling.

A TTK of .4-.45 is a good point as it's still low but outside of the reaction time of most people even when you include latency, still is a low TTK at the beginning of mid range, humans are hardy and dont go down with one shot or multiple instantly, allows more styles of play and variety in the weapons while making Semi fire more viable, give the ability to react to bad shots instead of dying to someone who lands a couple of lucky shots, give enough time to allow for more weapon mechanics to kick in to make it more skilled based. Mag dumping would only hinder the player in a "higher" TTK game as they will miss more raising the TTK instead of taking precise shots.

It would still be not much of the magazine and the main balancing factor for low v mid TTK is how many people is it possible to kill before reloading, how much time would it take compared to when a enemies teammate can assist him to engage you, how fast can they move to cover or to dodge some one and how much damage can you take in return while killing some one else.

This game doesn't have low tier gear as gear is horizontally balanced its not like BF but more like Planetside 2 where weapons have strengths and weaknesses but one is not overtly better then the rest.

The game was planning to have matchmaking take into account player skill so the less skilled can play to gather to get better instead of getting stomped all the time.

-------

image.png.62caea571f39c9f863ff3efe89ca3fc3.png

*change gut shots and chest shots to 49.5%*,*make the head all one hitbox*

*Change old armor plates to 90% t4, 83% t3, 70.5% t2, 60% t1.*

My suggestion of a hit box based on the near the old armor value except for the head would be more like this current system.

The center head and center chest will be 3 shot kills but the center chest would be covered by chest plates if looking from the front leaving the face the lowest TTK region for automatic weapons. The head wont have armor going past 50% while the chest armor highest rating being 85%(change to 83%) at the most and calculating in the penetration of each weapon.

The head is protected in the back more then the front but the back is wide open. (I still wished we have back/side armor)

I do not know if they can make a hitbox inside of another to ahving the center chest be more rewarding but smaller target.

I would also by preference want the chest plate to be raised higher as most people wear the chest plate high to cover the vitals in the upper chest. indicated by the black dotted lines. If that was technically possible

Gut shots would be more inline with realism since it would take a decent amount of damage to kill some one with not doing damage to the vitals which would pretty much be waiting for them to bleed out at that point.

IRL even chest shots people and animals take lil a bit to die but become incapacitated much quicker. The chest is not a vital area but the lungs and heart are so having the 100% damage modifier moved into the chest

Heavy armor at 85% or near that can give off a cue like sparks and a high ping sound to let the shooter know to aim more for the unarmored part of the torso for a lower TTK.

Bolters would take two shots to the chest to kill unless its in the center unless the receiver has t4 or t3 armor covering the center while head shots are 1 hit kills.

The highest TTK for the out chest up close would be 6 shots. The center chest shots would be up close no with t3 armor at 90% would be no more then 9 shots and t3 at 83% armor would be no more then 7-8 shots at the most, t2 at no more then 6 shots up close, and t1 plates at 5 up close. at range each could increase by one or none extra shots. While helmet shots would be never more then 5 but as low as,

Many things can be adjusted slightly like weapon damage, penetration, armor values, the health and healing systems, weapon recoil, and spread. The only thing that cant really get adjusted to much with with out messing with how we perceived the weapons to feel is the RPM.

I would also have change up the weight system to have 5 brackets or at least 4 to balance out heavy armor.

The brackets would be ultra light, light, medium, heavy, and then encumbered.

Encumbered would be the "weight limit" You will still have the freedom to carry a lot of shit but be slower then heavy and do tasks slower and slower ADS.

Ultra light will encourage trying to minimize your weight and could be a little better then the current light while the current light bracket gets Nerfed a little bit

Edited by TZoningHard
  • Like 1

My suggestions were based on the gut shot being removed and head shots being more deadly, so the 3 shot kill would only be possible with headshots, shots to the back and sides (depending on whether back armor becomes a thing), or maybe certain AP ammo's against light armor.

I don't like the idea of helmets having some kind of damage reduction value, I'd like to see them changed so they either stop a bullet or they don't. Two possible ways to go about this would be:

• You take a hit to the helmet and depending on the rating of the helmet either you die or you lose it, the next shot kills.
  • Hits that the helmet it rated to take (say, direct 9mm hits and up to 7.62 for shallow hits for the top level armor) do no damage even when it's hit repeatedly but anything above those ratings are an instant kill.

I quite like the second idea but it might make 9mm just a bit too useless.

Edited by Cral

Sign in to follow this