Sign in to follow this  
aceb20

Artillery and Suppression

On 11/27/2018 at 11:40 AM, aceb20 said:

I know you guys don't want artillery to be this big cheese thing, but I think it really needs to be scary. If not just turn up the splash, then turn down the damage a tad so it's like a 2-3 strikes you're out, and turn up the splash a shit-ton. This won't make the strikes extreme cheese but will make whoever is in the zone either take really good cover, or get out fast.

I agree we nerfed the splash damage to much and sometimes u run through artillery zone and u get no damage at all. We will make a balance pass just as you suggested, buffing artillery a little bit. But also adding some kind of alert before the strike (sirens or something). We like the area denial function of artillery strikes but also try to balance it, so it isn't a super ez kill grinder.

On 11/27/2018 at 11:40 AM, aceb20 said:

And then suppression. I've been shot at by many MGs and I feel like suppression needs to be turned up quite a bit. I understand not doing that with assault rifles but I think the tactic of laying down suppressive fire really needs to be viable in a tactical game.

The suppresion is more complicated than u think. Every player has a hidden adrenaline bar (from 0 to 100) that starts on 50. If u stay still (for example proning on the edge of a map) your adrenaline is trying to drop to 0. And if u have low adrenaline, the suppression effect is boosted. So LMG suppressive fire is very effective on snipers.

But if u run&gun and bullets are flying all around you, your adrenaline is increasing, which makes the suppression effect weaker. Why? Because aggressive infantry players who are fighting on the frontlines get used to the mayhem around them (hardened by the fire of battle). They can be more effective with their aim cuz of low suppression.

We think that one rule set for suppression which affects all players, will cause frustrating suppression like we had in bf3-4. It dosen't mean the balance of what we have is perfect. We will tweak it and make balance passes as with everything else.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:14 PM, Cral said:

Sort of on topic but I'd like to see a cheaper 'artillery smoke' option if that's a thing, smoke barriers can be really useful.

Tactical/defensive strikes will be an option in near future.

Great discussion guyz, keep it up and thank you.

Edited by Morp
  • Like 3

Bump for smoke artillery. 

In 0.3 the artillery feels a bit strange. The shells are supposed to hit randomly inside a circle but seem to be always more focused towards the edges of the circle. I deleted the video by accident but if you want to test this spawn an artillery with low damage to infantry and stand right in the middle of the circle. In 4 of 5 times I barely got hit because not a single shell hit the middle. Only once it did. Also the circle seems offset from where you click on the map. It would be really nice if the mouse would temporarily change to a circle that allows for accurate positioning. 

Damage itself seems OK. 

PS: The forum search is garbage. I had a hard time finding this topic.