Urnodaisy

No Server Browser. No Community. No Sales!

Hi all,

Despite the low player count when i play, I really enjoy this game. While hard to "peg", I find it conjures up a combination of the older PC focused titles of COD and Battlefield (1942, BF2, BFBC2) without the heavy emphasis on vehicles. The game play mode has the same tension and dynamics as the classic PC Novalogic game Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising. So what follows is from a fan. I put a game play video up on a Facebook page that a former gaming club (clan) runs. Some were very impressed and excited but I couldn't advise them to purchase the game because there is no way to effectively play together that I am aware of. Let's face it, the server debacle on EA launch has dealt a serious blow to the future success of this game. Nobody cares that it is Early Access, the press is bad. To further compound this going forward, anyone who enjoys this game can't promote it to their friends because there is no way to play together! How do you you expect gaming clubs to form around your game and to benefit from the guerrilla marketing that a clan community engenders?

I built a new rig for this game and really would like to see a community to form around it. At a minimum I would at least like to team up and play with people I know. For now, forget the possibility of private servers that create longevity for a game and creates the possibilities for franchises. If somebody says there is community, there isn't. A bunch of randoms being thrust onto a server is not a community, nor can one form from that. I am still hoping for an independent developer to offer a game that exploits the higher capabilities of the PC platform with the same features that put the now trash AAA houses on the map. So to the people who know the gaming that the PC Platform used to provide I must tell them, "I love this game but DO NOT BUY IT!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

There will be everything in a way that WW3 imagines
But everything still needs to be done,it's still an EA game
leave them time

1 minute ago, VBK-Anarchie said:

There will be everything in a way that WW3 imagines
But everything still needs to be done,it's still an EA game
leave them time

The servers are fine without community servers at the moment. A server browser should be implemented at some point during the EA updates. At the launch of the game there hopefully will be some form of player rental.  

3 hours ago, Butta On Tha Pancakes said:

The servers are fine without community servers at the moment. A server browser should be implemented at some point during the EA updates. At the launch of the game there hopefully will be some form of player rental.  

I agree. The MOST IMPORTANT thing to retain players and to get the new player count up is the server browser. I had to tell people to "hold off" because we can't play together as a team.

• Like 3

There's next to nobody playing on NA servers anymore. There's one or two full servers with no empty spots and then dozens upon dozens of servers either empty or with only 2-3 people. At least with a server browser, the few people remaining on NA servers could congregate on one populated server rather than having the matchmaker scatter us all over.

Until we get a server browser, this game will continue to be a ghost town in the NA region.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Quadsword said:

There's next to nobody playing on NA servers anymore. There's one or two full servers with no empty spots and then dozens upon dozens of servers either empty or with only 2-3 people. At least with a server browser, the few people remaining on NA servers could congregate on one populated server rather than having the matchmaker scatter us all over.

Until we get a server browser, this game will continue to be a ghost town in the NA region.

I agree. I end up running around empty servers hoping someone gets funneled into it. I'm not going to be doing that much longer. Also, I don't see a practical way to play together with friends so I have not been endorsing or promoting the game. I know I can't be the only one in this situation. The growth of the games player base has been stunted because of this and what base it has left is leaving in frustration. This is sad for me because I love the game play. Non AAA developers are going to have trouble offering console only feature games on PC against franchises (dying perhaps) that earned their original reputation on the expanded feature rich PC platform.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:03 PM, Urnodaisy said:

Hi all,

Despite the low player count when i play, I really enjoy this game. While hard to "peg", I find it conjures up a combination of the older PC focused titles of COD and Battlefield (1942, BF2, BFBC2) without the heavy emphasis on vehicles. The game play mode has the same tension and dynamics as the classic PC Novalogic game Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising. So what follows is from a fan. I put a game play video up on a Facebook page that a former gaming club (clan) runs. Some were very impressed and excited but I couldn't advise them to purchase the game because there is no way to effectively play together that I am aware of. Let's face it, the server debacle on EA launch has dealt a serious blow to the future success of this game. Nobody cares that it is Early Access, the press is bad. To further compound this going forward, anyone who enjoys this game can't promote it to their friends because there is no way to play together! How do you you expect gaming clubs to form around your game and to benefit from the guerrilla marketing that a clan community engenders?

I built a new rig for this game and really would like to see a community to form around it. At a minimum I would at least like to team up and play with people I know. For now, forget the possibility of private servers that create longevity for a game and creates the possibilities for franchises. If somebody says there is community, there isn't. A bunch of randoms being thrust onto a server is not a community, nor can one form from that. I am still hoping for an independent developer to offer a game that exploits the higher capabilities of the PC platform with the same features that put the now trash AAA houses on the map. So to the people who know the gaming that the PC Platform used to provide I must tell them, "I love this game but DO NOT BUY IT!"

you nailed the problem sir,a server browser and lobby system is needed now not in 1 or 2 months..in some months without it you will put toghter the ashes of what it is a great game with great potentials 

If they don't adress the problem asap there won't be anyone left to build a community upon.

i don't mind the bugs,glithches and so on..but this..yeah i do a lot..

• Like 7

If the guys at TF51 are BF vets, then surely they understand the importance of a server browser for this kind of game. I hope they can be convinced to add one sooner rather than later, because without one this game is going to struggle to build a community.

• Like 5

It would be nice for the current players so we can find games easily. If possible, I'd be happy with a very bare-bones server browser that would be a fill-in for the real thing when it's finalized in development. No fancy GUI needed right now - just a list of servers with real time data on player count, map, and ping. The data already exists, just a matter of programming a page to display it on (NOTE: I'm a beginner programmer, so perhaps it's more complicated than I'm making it sound).

Maybe for now but the plan is to have match making based off skill and ping so that bad players dont get discouraged and you can keep the skill ceiling high unlike other games that end up nerfing the skill ceilings to keep people to a close enough level that a bad player isn't getting stomped by very good player then quits.

I disagree about the randoms being thrust into a sever is not a community. I really dislike private servers and dont really see the need for a server browser if you look at the steam server list the servers are doing pretty well at putting people into match the only issue is that a few of matches are going on.

All it would do is have people choose random servers when there is only 3 choices of populated servers.

The problem is the there isn't enough people to fill into matches as they start.

10 hours ago, TZoningHard said:

Maybe for now but the plan is to have match making based off skill and ping so that bad players dont get discouraged and you can keep the skill ceiling high unlike other games that end up nerfing the skill ceilings to keep people to a close enough level that a bad player isn't getting stomped by very good player then quits.

I disagree about the randoms being thrust into a sever is not a community. I really dislike private servers and dont really see the need for a server browser if you look at the steam server list the servers are doing pretty well at putting people into match the only issue is that a few of matches are going on.

All it would do is have people choose random servers when there is only 3 choices of populated servers.

The problem is the there isn't enough people to fill into matches as they start.

Ok @TZoningHard I love your opinions and we have a history of disagreeing on this topic but this is just so..wrong. 

Battlefield has a history of being successful and games have largely retained their playerbase through community servers. We all explained this in many threads. 

"Matchmaking should be based on skill and ping" 

Addressing ping first, all server browsers have a ping tab so you can see where in the world it is located. No one here in NA joins servers that are 240+ and run from South Africa, it makes no sense. And I shouldn't have to just trust that TF51s server matchmaking is going to do it for me. I get placed in 100 ping servers even clicking Play NA. Server browsers allow us to have freedom on which were we join. 

Based on skill: "Bad players are discouraged"

The way I see this, bad players are mostly new players. And Oh Boy you know what discourages new players from still playing like nothing else? Joining game after game after game finding servers with 4 or 5 people in them. It makes me feel like the game is DEAD. I enjoy the product enough that I keep playing every day but this  will NOT be enough to retain a new player. TF51's isn't in a good enough state to put players in full lobbies together. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, TF51 has no algorithm for placing players of similar skill level together anyway. 

The steam server list is fucking ghetto. Games like insurgency would be a fucking mess without a proper server browser. Once we get some more gamemodes, the community is going to be fractured into pieces on what they play. We've seen this happen on insurgency for example where there is a strong community that just plays COOP, and a strong community that plays Competitive firefight. This wouldn't be possible without a server browser. 

Sorry for the rant. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TZoningHard said:

Maybe for now but the plan is to have match making based off skill

How do you imagine this in a 32vs32 shooter?
AdobeStock_95287890.jpeg

• Haha 1

Talking to you developers..

I would actually love an answer on why there is a new thread every day about adding a server browser into the matchmaking(No not that terrible sever browser in steam. A real one) And every thread we get no response. Where is the disconnect between us and you? 

Nowhere on your roadmap or anywhere where the information is easily accessible does TF51 display the reasons for not having one and our threads get skipped. If you are reading the forums(which we all know you guys are) you are seeing multiple copies of the same thread and each of them are equally ignored by devs. If there was an answer that was "in our face" a little more we wouldn't have as many people asking. 

If you aren't planning on adding one just at least give us a reason. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butta On Tha Pancakes said:

Talking to you developers..

I would actually love an answer on why there is a new thread every day about adding a server browser into the matchmaking(No not that terrible sever browser in steam. A real one) And every thread we get no response. Where is the disconnect between us and you? 

Nowhere on your roadmap or anywhere where the information is easily accessible does TF51 display the reasons for not having one and our threads get skipped. If you are reading the forums(which we all know you guys are) you are seeing multiple copies of the same thread and each of them are equally ignored by devs. If there was an answer that was "in our face" a little more we wouldn't have as many people asking. 

If you aren't planning on adding one just at least give us a reason. 

Thanks. 

I can understand your thoughts but please take note that fixing roadmap and adding server browser is not 1 day or even 1-week task.
Give developers time. I know they read these topics. And they are aware of them. Just not everything at once.
Or you think they have to answer every topic you consider "important"? No, they don't;)

Edited by CapybaraPaul
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CapybaraPaul said:

I can understand your thoughts but please take note that fixing roadmap and adding server browser is not 1 day or even 1-week task.
Give developers time. I know they read these topics. And they are aware of them. Just not everything at once.

I know it's not a one day thing and that it takes time. I wouldn't be bothered by this If the told us what update it was coming in or if it was coming at all. They've been silent. If they gave answers the community would just shut up and wait for them to do their work. 

Edited by Butta On Tha Pancakes

A "were considering it, once we work out how to implement it" wouldn't be that hard to put somewhere accessible. At that point when people ask they can just be redirected there. 

I'm just feeling like there's a bit of a disconnect. 

10 minutes ago, CapybaraPaul said:

Or you think they have to answer every topic you consider "important"? No, they don't;)

Oh and for the record I've had many forum posts, some of them just stupid suggestions and the developers have been very good about getting back but this just seems to be an issue they aren't replying to. It's not bad for me to want to know why. 

2 minutes ago, Butta On Tha Pancakes said:

A "were considering it, once we work out how to implement it" wouldn't be that hard to put somewhere accessible. At that point when people ask they can just be redirected there. 

I'm just feeling like there's a bit of a disconnect. 

Don't forget that devs need to be very careful with there words.
They need to agree on adding a new feature on many levels of management. And only after that, they can give feedback to us.
But yes, few careful lines of "ok guys, we will think about it" would be great.

It could be done by making a efficient comparison between the stats of players. But the matchmaking would then be very long. Or maybe if there could be a scoring of the player for his ability to shoot precisely, to work with his squad, with his team, he's he supportive or a lone player... etc. That could help...