Devyx

Micro transactions and WW3?

Payable extra services?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see player-rented servers in the game?

2. 2. Microtransactions?

• Yes, but nothing game-changing
    • No.
    • I don't really care

I believe there was talk about some micros coming up, and I thought I'd start a discussion for them. Players are arguably sensitive to the idea of micros, but I do not think that if the micros are not Pay2Win, people will mind. Getting the in-game currency in the game is not super time-taking currently in 0.2.3. 

We do know that the servers cost money to keep up and maintain, and that's what micros are often for, and that's what brought me to make the topic. I do wanna hear what people think of the micros. Another way could be rented servers.

I personally don't see micros as this big evil, but I don't like Pay2Win, which is why I don't buy those games that are.

As to what these microtransactions could be, I do have some ideas:

• Certain color patterns for guns, vehicles and player itself.
  • Some hats like Cowboy hat. "I love the smell napalm in the morning!"
  • Motivational patches much like the ones already implemented. "Hold my beer" as an example.
  • Slight weapon customization such as a pistol grip or other cosmetic(?)

I think the game should get a full release before microtransactions are considered. With that being said, I don't mind so long as it doesn't give the player an in game advantage over those who didn't buy it.

• Like 3

Microtransactions for skins is a good thing. Who's opposed to that and why? Wouldn't you want pay $2 for a cool skin for your stealthbomber or tank?

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

32 minutes ago, Grey Wolf Jack said:

Microtransactions for skins is a good thing. Who's opposed to that and why? Wouldn't you want pay $2 for a cool skin for your stealthbomber or tank?

I would prefer custom user content that I could do myself instead of having to pay 2 bucks for something useless. You already pay the game no need to pay more ! I wuold only pay if they develop good and useful addons after final release. But since the game is goin to be devlopped with the community then the game shouldn't lack anything on its release.

• Like 1

Well if we want more content and for that content to be good quality we will need to incentivize F51 and their investors to keep making that content.

I range from dislike to absolute hate with micro trans and have seen all the cheap predatory tricks some game devs and publishers.

Even cosmetics with not game altering affects can alter the game. Example being in some games they will release a overpowered class to get people to reroll and buy new costumes for it. Devs/Publishers are incentivized to create unbalance gameplay for profit.

When it comes to cosmetics you have to also understand that companies have a monopoly one what cosmetics come to the market. A lot of the time they purposely with hold very good cosmetics to release when they are in a slump and only put out poorly made cosmetics. There is a tactic to make the costumes you put out a lower quality cosmetic so buyers will be not as satisfied and seek out to buy new release of cosmetics which are usually purposefully delayed to push people to buy the already available cosmetics.

Just to put out that cosmetics can be predatory and game affecting. And most cosmetic are way over priced because of the monopoly of the cosmetics which results in milking players.

Not saying that F51 will try to prey on players and every thing I've seen so far says they arent.

Paying for cosmetic microtrans and microtrans in general is a negative to the experience and many people like achieving their cosmetics to show off. Showing of something you bought with IRL money doesn't really mean much.

Cosmetics are liked for a decent amount of people and can be seen a big positive but for better quality it requires money.

Money comes from funding given by investors seeking a return. To incentivize high quality and production of many cosmetics you got to tie it to returns for investors.

Same for more content you have to tie new maps, vehicles, new mechanics, and weapons.

You give on some negatives to get more content and content isn't free F51 will need some way to get money and funding for it. Servers are already paid for. Server contract usually last a year or two and f51 made a good amount of money right off of EA and still have full release to make money for server which is covered in the box price of the game.

I want future content and that would require money going to F51. I really dislike microtrans and you cant trust players to keep devs in check and you cant count on the devs being the same for ever. Some way needs to happen to come up with money for content.

Maybe limit the microtrans to only special cosmetics like holiday and anniversary and for personalization of Tags/emblems. Or you could work in kickstarter some how.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2018 at 8:34 PM, Grey Wolf Jack said:

It isn't a good thing, it's fucking cancer. Instead of concentrating on the game itself, some devs take this shortcut and start selling cosmetic shit while game stays in fetal state (*coughpubgcough*). In ww3 you can barely see the textures anyway, and why would you want a bright skin for anything?

2 minutes ago, del32exe said:

It isn't a good thing, it's fucking cancer. Instead of concentrating on the game itself, some devs take this shortcut and start selling cosmetic shit while game stays in fetal state (*coughpubgcough*). In ww3 you can barely see the textures anyway, and why would you want a bright skin for anything?

All I know is I've spent hundreds of dollars on Rust skins. Then again, Rust is Rust. Totally different style and genre, way more things to skin for way more reasons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grey Wolf Jack said:

All I know is I've spent hundreds of dollars on Rust skins. Then again, Rust is Rust. Totally different style and genre, way more things to skin for way more reasons.

I mean it's your money and everything, but I can buy a lunch and a dessert cheaper than 2$. Buying pixels instead isn't really (in my opinion) a worthy investment plan

1 minute ago, del32exe said:

I mean it's your money and everything, but I can buy a lunch and a dessert cheaper than 2$. Buying pixels instead isn't really (in my opinion) a worthy investment plan

Most of my Rust skins have increased in value since I bought them. If I were to sell them I'd get triple my money back, or more. The longer I wait, the more money I'll get back due to scarcity of these skins. 

10 minutes ago, del32exe said:

Buying EVERY GAME is literally buying pixels;)

• Like 1

From AMA (took me literally 5 seconds to find this):

Q: Will we get any kind of microtransactions? Something like specific nation uniforms etc? Or no microtransaction at all?

A: No microtransactions during early access, after that it's possible we'll introduce them but only for visuals with no effect on gameplay.

Q: Is there going to be a loot crate system? if ye, is it going to be like PUBG and CSGO? buying keys is not my best thing.

A: We've decided to not feature microtransactions in Early Access, we'll think it over with the community and then decide, but we're not planning on going pay 2 win ever.

AMA Thread

Edited by Hagen
link

4 hours ago, Hagen said:

From AMA (took me literally 5 seconds to find this):

Q: Will we get any kind of microtransactions? Something like specific nation uniforms etc? Or no microtransaction at all?

A: No microtransactions during early access, after that it's possible we'll introduce them but only for visuals with no effect on gameplay.

Q: Is there going to be a loot crate system? if ye, is it going to be like PUBG and CSGO? buying keys is not my best thing.

A: We've decided to not feature microtransactions in Early Access, we'll think it over with the community and then decide, but we're not planning on going pay 2 win ever.

AMA Thread

I am asking the community's opinion on the matter.

Im cool with microtransactions as long as its NOT: 1) Pay to win. 2) By playing the game you can unlock everything.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CapybaraPaul said:

Buying EVERY GAME is literally buying pixels;)

Buying a game is buying a large product that demands a lot of work and polish to be made that will be worth its money by giving back to you wonderful (or not really) experience in the form of ablity to do that, which you will probably never get to do IRL (german-made work simulators don't count). When you buy a skin for something that any schoolie can make at their break time I say it's greed.

A few years ago you could mod and skin any model in your game yourself by default by drawing textures in paint, today they ask you to pay for it, what are they going to ask you to pay for tomorrow? Every bullet? Cleaning your guns? Ability to move 100 steps in game? It's a slippery slope, I'd rather pay 80$ for a full game with possibilities of 2000s games but modern graphics than this cancer

1 hour ago, del32exe said:

Buying a game is buying a large product that demands a lot of work and polish to be made that will be worth its money by giving back to you wonderful (or not really) experience in the form of ablity to do that, which you will probably never get to do IRL (german-made work simulators don't count). When you buy a skin for something that any schoolie can make at their break time I say it's greed.

A few years ago you could mod and skin any model in your game yourself by default by drawing textures in paint, today they ask you to pay for it, what are they going to ask you to pay for tomorrow? Every bullet? Cleaning your guns? Ability to move 100 steps in game? It's a slippery slope, I'd rather pay 80$ for a full game with possibilities of 2000s games but modern graphics than this cancer

And by its nature, it's a bunch of pixels;)

16 minutes ago, CapybaraPaul said:

And by its nature, it's a bunch of pixels;)

Yeah, but heluva lot more of them. And they're moving too.

Edited by del32exe

Just now, del32exe said:

Yeah, but heluva lot more of them. 

So now I have a good question for you. From what "number" of pixels it is worth to pay for them?

It's called bald man paradox;)

3 hours ago, del32exe said:

Don't be afraid. We are talking about WW3 and devs said:

20 hours ago, Devyx said:

No microtransactions during early access, after that it's possible we'll introduce them but only for visuals with no effect on gameplay.

That kind of MT is ok for me. Cheers!

Microtransactions are a bad idea. What for ? You  can unlock all stuff by playing. What's next ? Loot  cards and/or random loot crates in WW3 ? :D

Lemme jump in for a bit, as I think I might shed some light on the situation.

We're not really planning what to do with micritransactions right now. We have a vague plan on possibly selling camo patterns and visual customization items and we had this plan even sine we decided to not make WW3 a F2P game. This decision was done mostly because we kept having to design around it and it was not going to result in a balanced game - so we scrapped this idea and went with a half price model with additional gameplay content available for everyone.

This approach is very player-friendly, but at the same time, keeping the company up is very costly, server cost is marginal compared to salaries for ~60 people (do the math yourself how much each month goes out in salaries). Then there's the cost of software, building upkeep and so on, so we need to make money somehow to stay afloat after everyone has bought WW3 and is only playing.

This is where a fair and balanced microtransaction model could come in. We want to keep working on this game for a long time and keep adding new stuff and supporting it. As we said, we don't want to sell items or gameplay elements, but when it comes to cosmetics - they don't change gameplay (we keep all skins mostly realistic and subdued, so there's no bright pink 'funny' stuff).

I'd also like to ask for your opinion on an option for unlocking everything for people that don't want to take part in the grind. I myself don't have much time to play and for me the unlocks will take a lot of time, especially if we start to add new stuff. For me getting everything unlocked forever is a good way of keeping me in the game- but what's your opinion?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ragir said:

I'd also like to ask for your opinion on an option for unlocking everything for people that don't want to take part in the grind. I myself don't have much time to play and for me the unlocks will take a lot of time, especially if we start to add new stuff. For me getting everything unlocked forever is a good way of keeping me in the game- but what's your opinion?

Some (or most probably) of us do feel that way. But then again, if all the stuff we meant to grind for was already unlocked, why do we even need to keep playing for? The fun factor will die out pretty quick if players do not have an achievement/goal to work for, thus in turn will hurt the longevity of this game. I understand that most players do not have the free time to do the grinding since they have other important RL stuff to do (work, school, college, etc), but you also gotta understand that a game without the feeling of achievement will not always be fun, especially in the long term. 

As for micro-transactions, going for cosmetics only seems to be the only option. But, why not add some futuristic looking military uniform and vest, and lock them behind a paywall? As in not COD-futuristic but real life design concepts that already has a model. Damage model will be the same like any other normal visual look in the game, even if the paid content (uniform) has some armor on the soldier's arms and legs.

Well, that's as far as i could come up with. This is off-topic for this thread, but there will only be 1 more player stats wipe, right? If so, could you at least increase the amount of starting in-game currency to at least 65-70k so that at least we can get a decent strike to pair with our weapon loadout?

41ED314300000578-4653886-image-a-130_1498870631945.jpg

pointman_armor_by_alexjjessup-d6i328z.png

3 hours ago, Ragir said:

I'd also like to ask for your opinion on an option for unlocking everything for people that don't want to take part in the grind.

I am impartial to it. I came across those Shortcut Packs first in Battlefield 3 and never considered them as "Pay2Win" or something along those lines. At the end of the day the player behind the weapon matters, not their choice of attachments. As long as those packs will not offer a significant advantage for the buyer over players who did not spend any money, I wouldn't mind them.

With that said, the majority of people will probably hate it and call it "pay to win".

Edited by Brady_The

16 hours ago, ranmoru456 said:

The fun factor will die out pretty quick if players do not have an achievement/goal to work for,

That's not something that's not a problem for me. I don't play games for the grind and a long progression is actually not something that keeps me in game. We also plan on adding more things to progression, like challenges and achievements, which will add goals without locking stuff up.

but you also gotta understand that a game without the feeling of achievement will not always be fun, especially in the long term. 

That's why if someone wants to do it, they can, but it's optional. I realize some people get a lot of joy from unlocking stuff and grinding, I'm just trying to find a way to make both sides happy.

But, why not add some futuristic looking military uniform and vest, and lock them behind a paywall? As in not COD-futuristic but real life design concepts that already has a model. Damage model will be the same like any other normal visual look in the game, even if the paid content (uniform) has some armor on the soldier's arms and legs.

Uniforms are all cosmetic, so that's certainly an option.

This is off-topic for this thread, but there will only be 1 more player stats wipe, right? If so, could you at least increase the amount of starting in-game currency to at least 65-70k so that at least we can get a decent strike to pair with our weapon loadout?

We don't know how many wipes there will be, but at least one more for sure. We'll try to avoid it as long as we can, but once the progression is finalized (with 2nd and 3rd loop), it's gonna get wiped, since there's no other way.

16 hours ago, Brady_The said:

As long as those packs will not offer a significant advantage for the buyer over players who did not spend any money, I wouldn't mind them.

We try to make weapons sidegrades, not upgrades. We've set up the starting weapons to be a bit easier to handle, but have less damage, so in theory every weapon should be viable in it's niche. Because of that, unlocking more stuff gives you more options, not more power (at least in theory, TOR is a prime example of being OP). So I wouldn't say having stuff unlocked is giving you a big advantage, because people that unlocked those items by playing have skill and knowledge advantage.