Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
maddinii

How does bullet velocity work?

Recommended Posts

Somebody mentioned bullet velocity before and i`d like to implement that into the weapon building  topic. At the moment all i know is the barrel seems to effect the velocity of the bullet. How exactly does it work? Will a shorter barrel speed up your bullet or something like that and do other attachments also take part in this? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I apologise if this is not the place to ask this but, how do we know the damage power of each sniper gun in comparison to the other snipers? Also the same question stands for other types of guns, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In real life longer barrel means higher bullet speed. It gives the propellant more time to work on propelling the bullet.

In game I didn't see much difference between short and long ones. Only difference is in spread.

 

Azax, In customisation menu u've got a chart showing damage at different ranges. In example, 40dmg up to 50m and 37dmg further.

Edited by SailingBarista
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@maddinii Hello, the short version of the story:

-mid barrels are the default ones and affects weapons effective range (maximum DMG output on certain distance)

-short barrels move the effective range of a weapon closer to you

-long barrels move the effective range away from you

We will implement an interactive DMG chart in the future, to explain this mechanic a little bit better.
Also, we are experimenting with a slight change in rate of fire with different barrels (not so realistic but we want to try it out, anyway - soon on PTE)

I hope I've answered your question :) Cheers

Edited by Morp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morp said:

@maddinii Hello, the short version of the story:

-mid barrels are the default ones and affects weapons effective range (maximum DMG output on certain distance)

-short barrels move the effective range of a weapon closer to you

 -long barrels move the effective range away from you

 We will implement an interactive DMG chart in the future, to explain this mechanic a little bit better.
Also, we are experimenting with a slight change in rate of fire with different barrels (not so realistic but we want to try it out, anyway - soon on PTE)

I hope I've answered your question :) Cheers

 

This more or less brings up another question. Where does the effective range start? At the barrel or a few meters in flight? If it starts at the barrel, then a medium or short barrel which brings the range closer is pretty useless or not? 

 

︻デ═一 [effective range start]------(space)--------[effective range end]

︻デ═一 ---(space)---[effective range start]------(space)------[effective range end]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Morp said:

@maddinii Hello, the short version of the story:

-mid barrels are the default ones and affects weapons effective range (maximum DMG output on certain distance)

-short barrels move the effective range of a weapon closer to you

-long barrels move the effective range away from you

We will implement an interactive DMG chart in the future, to explain this mechanic a little bit better.
Also, we are experimenting with a slight change in rate of fire with different barrels (not so realistic but we want to try it out, anyway - soon on PTE)

I hope I've answered your question :) Cheers

I'm sure you guys know how barrel ballistics work but would yall think about implementing longer barrels doing more damage  because the bullet will be leaving the barrel at a higher velocity compared to shorter barrel? and based on the kinetic energy equation more velocity = more KE

 

edit: not sure if i made it clear enough. what i am suggesting is damage doesnt necessarily depend on range with the barrel lengths but raw damage from the start

Edited by Uglylittlebush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Uglylittlebush said:

longer barrels doing more damage

In real world it's not that simple. Our weapon expert explained, that there is only one barrel lenght - so called "optimal".
- If the barrel is too short, than bullets don't use the full potential of gases, condensed inside of it. They escape before passing all of the energy, released in propellant explosion.

-if the barrel is too long, not only the velocity will be lost because of friction, weapon will wear and tear quicker, also becomes heavy and hard to use in CQ.

So, the barrel lenght is chosen to match a lot of variables.

Also, from the game standpoint, if we would make a rule, that long barrels equals more DMG, there wouldn't be any meaningful decision to be made by the player. And medium, short barrels would be obsolete. We want players, always to trade something for something else. We think that making difficult decisions like that equals having fun in customizing weapon. Decisions like, accuracy vs weight vs dmg output vs RoF vs weapon stability etc.

A lot of balance passes, before us, but we will get there, eventually.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, maddinii said:

This more or less brings up another question. Where does the effective range start? At the barrel or a few meters in flight? If it starts at the barrel, then a medium or short barrel which brings the range closer is pretty useless or not? 

 

We have to gamify many of real world elements to balance stuff.

IRL, bullets hit the max velocity the second they leave the barrel.
Our weapons have a optimal range.

Short barrel

︻デ═一 [effective range]...............................

Medium barrels

︻デ═一 ..............[effective range].................

Long barrels

︻デ═一 ...............................[effective range]

 

If we would start the effective range from the barrel tip, there wouldn't be any reason not to choose long barrels, always. Or we would have to unneseserly, overcomplicate them. With this system we have an EZ to understand paper, rock scissors dynamic.

Edited by Morp
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

makes sense, that may be the right call for balance sake. but if you did implement it a similar trade off more so on the shorter barrel side it would have quicker ads/equip speed as it does at the moment i believe, but maybe faster,  because it would be a fair amount lighter promoting a run and gun style play essentially converting a AR into an smg such as ar15 pistols in the real world or SBR's but the draw back would be decreased damage as you know based on gas expansion efficiency. 

the biggest reason i say this is because i am a huge fan of SBRs in the real world and i love SMGs in fps shooters, so it would be really cool to see something of the sort implimented into the game. thanks a ton for your response i understand why yall are making the choice

best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Morp said:

We have to gamify many of real world elements to balance stuff.

IRL, bullets hit the max velocity the second they leave the barrel.
Our weapons have a optimal range.

Short barrel


︻デ═一 [effective range]...............................

Medium barrels


︻デ═一 ..............[effective range].................

Long barrels


︻デ═一 ...............................[effective range]

  

If we would start the effective range from the barrel tip, there wouldn't be any reason not to choose long barrels, always. Or we would have to unneseserly, overcomplicate them. With this system we have an EZ to understand paper, rock scissors dynamic.

 

Sorry for annoying you, but this one should be easy i think:

The effective range is that a hidden value or is it actually the graph that we see on weapons in the customization? 

 

The way i understood it, is that the graph shows the dmg falloff from the weapon, but not not the actual "ideal range" for a target to die at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maddinii said:

The effective range is that a hidden value or is it actually the graph that we see on weapons in the customization? 

The effective range is the dmg graph from the menu, it shifts as in example above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Morp said:

The effective range is the dmg graph from the menu, it shifts as in example above.

 

Ah in that case there is a bug. That graph does not change no matter what attachments i put on the weapons. Only the stats below change. It changes when i select a different weapon, but not when i select a different barrel or anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, maddinii said:

Ah in that case there is a bug. That graph does not change no matter what attachments i put on the weapons. Only the stats below change. It changes when i select a different weapon, but not when i select a different barrel or anything else. 

We will look into it, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...