Sign in to follow this  
Renu

New sound design

Hy, i did have have in mind for long time to adress this for you, dev. team, just tought. SOUND  .... for now the sound to blank .... do not know how the sound will look at release, but i'd like to adress some footage, that might drill some ideas of how sound should be in the game (only 1 game on the market did manage to get best sound implementation, that is Battlefield 4, and not even there, the sound doesn't look so great). I find this to be the one of the best ways, that you could add dept to the game to deliver a better experience to players aka sales. So in my opinion the sound should get good atention for :

-directional / indirectional

-weapon sound

-vehicles

-environment

to see below few videos, they are not the best quality but it good enough to make an idea.

Check from 1:47 ( to skip nonsens long video) directiona / indirectional, weapon fired, "bullet impact"

How Leo. 2A6: round fired, tracks (it's distings among mbt's that sound), engien, directiona /indirectional sound

I hoppe the sound of this game will be at the lvl of graphical design, and will be not left behind.

Edited by Renu
  • Like 1

We are reworking the sound system atm. There should be a big difference in 0.3 but it's not final by any means. Thanks for the suggestions and references.
I lov the Heat shootout scene and the raw sound in it:

• Like 1

I know that sound is complicated, and need's more tech to do proper things, and hoppe you ppl nail it, so that the game would not feel like arcade "super mario" now.

For sure, you can find in Poland good shooting ranges  inside/outside; do not know if the Poland Army does any drills (in this time around, i know for sure they where in Germany for Tank European Competition, and now COMBINED RESOLVE XI ), and they would let your studio record some samples of the Leo. 2XX and PT-91 mbt's, for example

PS love the sound of tech. shooting 30/35/57mm shells and the impact, but not always it  "render's"

The sound samples are not the problem, we're working on systems to make those sounds pop, it'll get there :)

Omg i make for example Heat movie on every game with potential for sound and for map design , we gathered here only sirius people this game will change game industry if we continue on this way.

I don't really need a buzzing sound into my ear. Real-life sounds work better in my opinion.

Sound Engineer (and AI Designer because I was forced to) here, hoping your Sound Designer doesn't do near-field weapon  recording -- as there are no microphones made, even kick drum mics and sonar transducers that can take the sound pressure level of a near field firearms discharge -- all will over-modulate and distort in the triple digits, some like this sound but it's very lo-fi... 

DICE, New World Interactive, and the original Sound Designer of Red Orchestra get this. Also histrionic bass boost of firearm discharge is very destructive to how UE and DX sub-mix audio, and can never emulate the massive impulse anyway, so let people that want wob getto stereo boom and bloom DIY with EQ...

And while good weapon sound recording or good samples is important as shooting is the main instrumentality of the game, it would be nice if more attention is given to subtle Foley effects, perhaps better English voice acting that's under player control and not screaming cartoon comedy epitaphs all the time inappropriately giving away player position when they're trying to be stealthy -- or is stealth something The Farm 51 wants to bake out of the game? :/

Edited by Hoak

Games that did sound design right are

- Escape from Tarkov

- Insurgency Sandstorm

- Squad

@farm51 if you can get there your game will be MUCH more immersive and feels MUCH more high quality

Edited by revdox

On 12/17/2018 at 2:03 PM, revdox said:

Games that did sound design right are

- Escape from Tarkov

sorry to disapoint you, but is far to be call that "right"; check how they did the sound on for the game, and believe me EA for example did invest so much in sound engien of the game for example Need For Speed and Battlefield 4; recording sound i think is more expensive than making graphics, but it leads to the dept of the game allot, the impact that can give a game over players

for example see here how the sound recording was done, and with what tech, and how many sound technicians take'd part to the procces; and on the other hand see BSG (Battle State Games) how did with EFT

The sound they did record is authentic, but the record proces is a mess, look the diferance of tech; do not know how aware you are, but they did emulate allot of sound in that game

Edited by Renu
  • Like 1

I agree with @Renu on this, DICE's sound design and the sound engine is an amazing example of how audio in video games is done right, it was pretty much one of the many things that make me come back to Battlefield 4 even after 800hrs, the audio design was so spot on that I felt so immersed, I know the audio isn't realistic, real-life gun sounds probably didn't sound as cinematic like it was on BF4, but that was pretty much why I always come back to it, realism is not always good and fun, its boring and its bland, If I wanted to hear real guns fire, I'd visit a shooting gallery, or watch a documentary.

Sign in to follow this