Sign in to follow this  
Forgotmyoldaccount

Something I've noticed about modern games.

They almost all feel the same. And I think and reason is the choice of engine. Most games use the same two engines; UE4 and Unity. And most modern games end up feeling way too similair to one another. Even if they're from different genres, the quirks of the engine seep through and affect the gameplay. It can be a racing game, a first person shooter, a fighting game or a strategy game and it will feel all too familiar. Like a bad case of deja vu. Again I'm not saying all but most. Some games like tarkov and gears 4 feel different enough.

P.S. I honestly had no idea world war 3 was on UE4 until I played it for the first two minutes. I immediately recognized the movement system, mouse performance and the general vibe was that of a UE4 game.

• Like 2

Yeah. I think that UE4 and Unity just make game development very easy and more cost effective than needing to write a custom engine. They all have the same grind-y element to it as well, which is something I've noticed. It's less about unique features (like in this game) and exploration, and more about achieving stuff in order to get virtual items, in my opinion. Even when playing more exclusively single player titles like Watch Dogs 2 and Just Cause 3, it's felt less and less like exploration and more about getting things done for me. Then again, it could be because I don't feel like I could invest as many hours into gaming in my spare time.

I like that UE4 and Unity3D exist the way they do, because it means that users can create their own games if they want to quite easily, and hate the stuff that is around. I myself would like to get more into game development for this reason. The graphical fidelity of UE4 is a plus for me as well, and the fact that both platforms have support for VR, something I believe I should be more into.

So I do agree that games have become more and more the same, although this is because games have been around for quite a long time and they have become more and more grind-y. The gaming market could otherwise be incredibly saturated as a result of maybe how easy it is to make games I reckon.

• Like 1

I don't have other UE4 racing games but I can say that Assetto Corsa Competizione feels almost the same as original Assetto Corsa (minus the mod support of course)

For FPS, it's like you've said. Different titles that uses the same engine feels way identical. I'm not sure but at times I can feel UE3 clunky-ness in movement system in UE4 games, though my experience is limited to MoH Airborne and a few minutes on Dirty Bomb. WW3 at some time feels the same way too but not really apparent, probably because I didn't give out more time on PUBG (I just don't like it even, after trying out on someone else's account).