Ragir

VOIP Design Discussion

Hey there, it's time to take care of this feature and we'd like your input on this. I know there's a few topics on this already, but let's aggregate all the ideas that were posted already and have a *civilised* discussion. For those that are not familliar with the term VOIP, it means Voice over IP, so in-game voice chat that's built in.

There are some basic points that we need to establish first:

• WW3 is NOT a simulator. While we want people to feel the war, it's not supposed to be hardcore,
  • We're strongly leaning towards having it opt-in, so it's not on by default,
  • We want this to be a good teamplay addition, not something that is required for all players to use all the time.

We have a few ideas on our own on how to handle it, but it'll be cool to have all of the ideas in one place, so we can fall back on it while talking over the design and implementation of this feature.

Remember: we don't attack people, only ideas. It's not personal and someone saying something you don't agree with is not basis for bad behaviour. If you're getting angry, that's probably because you're wrong. Provide arguments, not insults. Posts that are attacking others personally will be removed with an attached warning.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I would personally like the VOIP to be enabled by default, however, have it as a push to talk option. Also having two different channels, Squad and Team, would lessen hassle, improve squad and team teamwork, and also add the ability to mute one of these channels in case there's a bit too much of nonsense screaming people unrest going on in Team chat, or mute Squad so your squad can cooperate with the entire team at once. This, as well as the obvious option to mute individuals.

Also perhaps a way to have a channel with more than one squad in it, but not an entire team? E.G. Invite squad Delta into squad Alpha's comms? 

• Like 8

Visual feedback :

Seeing who's talking; kinda like the discord overlay, with the profile pic and a circle around it, when the player is talking 

And maybe on the player marker too.

-small icon beside the name?

Being able to mute specific players

-show wether a player is muted or not on the scoreboard ?

• Like 8

I would like to see proximity voip for a mumber of reassons:

1. It engourages teamplay/squadplay, people will have to stay together and communicate if they want to attack or defend an obj.

2. It will be fun to have proximity chat,just imagine seeing an abrams coming your way and the guy playing fortunate son and you can hear the music becoming louder and louder.Then you better be ready for some FREEDOM.

Edited by jimharry127
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

- Proximity VOIP

- Separated Party, Squad, Team VOIP channels

- Various "volume" settings what affects proximity voip e.g. in case of stealth action 😆

(Inspired by Arma VOIP system, it's really good in its class)

Edited by Zari
  • Like 8

I strongly believe voice chat should be on by default however if that happens you need to have a "mute all except for squad" button and be able to turn it off completely also have a little mic icon appear next to someone's name when they are talking OR have proximity voice chat. Of course please have push to talk as an option

• Like 3

• Push to talk
  • A channel for squad
  • A channel for squad leaders only (i.e. leaders of entire team only). Squad leader would be able to hear both at the same time but speak in desired channel
  • Ability to mute ... [All / Channel / Person].
  • Icon for speaking person for squad where the squad names are displayed [lower left].
  • Icon for speaking person for squad leaders only channel displayed only when a leader speaks.
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, DeWa95 said:
  •  
  • Icon for speaking person for squad where the squad names are displayed [lower left].

would be cool if that was configurable 

• Like 1

My Idear, I know its cost intensive.

Add a Social Score System.

People that get muted all the time, will receive a negative Score. So they have to be unmuted manuelly. Ive a person gets muted by several People , Temp Ban then from VOIP.

Screaming kids and ppl that make wierd high pitch noices are „filterd“ quite fast.

Opt-in is ok for me. It should be disabled by default.

Also a ingame VOIP Service could open a Path for personal DDOS Attacks, when not implemented right!  

Instead of implementing a Ingame VOIP Service that most ppl will rarely ever use, I would rather invest the time and money in optimization on the Netcode ect. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ERZ_007 said:

People that get muted all the time, will receive a negative Score. So they have to be unmuted manuelly. 

I like this idea. would be neat to be able to toggle that in the settings too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BluBoo said:

with the profile pic and a circle around it, when the player is talking 

31 minutes ago, BluBoo said:

would be cool if that was configurable

I would like to have an option for detailed or a minimalist icon. Because I like less clutter when trying to see in-game.

But then again, with that we could end up with a huge options menu. So it could even mean a whole UI redesign.

6 minutes ago, ERZ_007 said:

People that get muted all the time, will receive a negative Score. So they have to be unmuted manuelly

+1

Edited by DeWa95
  • Like 1

I only would like to have the option to disable voip at all. 

• Like 1

Push to talk needs to be mandatory.

Need to be able to mute any one talking and any one in the match in a short amount of time.

Needs to be limited to the number of people that can receive it:

Prox chat? and squad chat? Squad chat would be radio base.

Do not need a command net, you would only have people complaining like in squad and in ps2. Text for squad leaders to squad leader is good.

Mute needs to be permeate as in you mute some one and a couple days later they are still muted.

The squad and ally ingame marker should show who is talking. If some one talks their icon in game will light up or have some kinda of visual cue. Your squad listing can as well show who is radioing in to you.

What is needed for VOIP:

To tell people near by to drop ammo/health/gadget, give call outs of enemy locations and to tell them to stop shooting me.

To do the same for squad mates with the added go to this place so I can cat heard them.

A decibel limit for screechers.

Hotkeys for mutes of various types such as mute current persons prox, mute current persons, mute squad, mute all, squad voip ptt, and prox voip ptt.

What is not needed:

Having every 15-32 person on the team talking int the same channel.

No communist social score system for others to decided what is proper or not. Mutes is for individuals to utilize not put others down.

I wonder how the community will be after this since before people sought out and joined discords and TSs to play with other people. This is the only game that I have so many people on steam friended.

To be nit picky simulator=RP not Hardcore. Different type of games. I would like a hardcore game which WW3 was kinda lead on to be. UI doesn't really make a game not hardcore out side of certain handholdy things.

• Like 2

What I would personally like to see in a WW3 VOIP is-

Out of Game Options

• See a list of Players you have muted currently. Removing them from the list unmutes them, keeping them on it leaves them muted across all games.
  • Disable VOIP setting
  • Push to Talk key binding for Proximity
  • Push to Talk key binding for Squad
  • Push to Talk key binding for Team
  • Slide bar to increase or decrease your mic volume
  • Slide bar to increase or decrease everyone's mic volume

Involuntary In-game VOIP System

- Once you join a game, you're automatically put into the VOIP (unless you Disabled VOIP in your settings prior to joining.) People that have disabled their VOIPs should have a yellow microphone with an X over it on the Scoreboard.

In-Game Mute Options

• Mute individual Players - Individual marks next to names on the Scoreboard
  • Mute all Players - A mark option below the scoreboard

- I would just make it a simple green check mark & Red X system. Green Check Mark means the player(s) is/are NOT muted, Red X means the Player(s) is/are Muted.

In-Game Options

• Proximity
  • Squad
  • Team
  • Right click on members of your Team to adjust their individual volume

Special Features in-game

• Ability to intercept Transmissions between the opposing team no matter if it's done in Proximity, Squad, or Team chat. Must be within X distance of a Player to intercept a Transmission. X being whatever ultimately proves to be best balance.
  • Player's name next to a Microphone that turns Blue for Team, Green for Squad, Gold for your Squad Leader, Red for opposing Team.

As for where these Microphone indicators would appear. My suggestion is either-

• Have the Mics light up above the Radio button on the left of the screen.
  • Move the Tips/Hints Tab over to the left of the screen and put the Mic screen below the killfeed.

Other then that though, not sure what else is needed, or would be neat to have. I'm sure I'm missing something important and it's not going to dawn on me till someone says it. But, that is my two cents.

Edited by Dunabar
  • Like 3

What if you could here enemy’s using proximity voice chat but you had to be really close kinda like insurgency sandstorm. 

Why? 1 because it makes you feel awsome hearing the other team talks and you feel like a spy.

1. 2. Because in insurgency I have had my team and a enemy (the last enemy left) have a “a civilized conversation” (definitely not my team screaming at them and them screaming back) and it was just so funny.
Edited by MOBBOB
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Dunabar said:

What I would personally like to see in a WW3 VOIP is-

Out of Game Options

• See a list of Players you have muted currently. Removing them from the list unmutes them, keeping them on it leaves them muted across all games.
  • Disable VOIP setting
  • Push to Talk key binding for Proximity
  • Push to Talk key binding for Squad
  • Push to Talk key binding for Team
  • Slide bar to increase or decrease your mic volume
  • Slide bar to increase or decrease everyone's mic volume

Involuntary In-game VOIP System

- Once you join a game, you're automatically put into the VOIP (unless you Disabled VOIP in your settings prior to joining.) People that have disabled their VOIPs should have a yellow microphone with an X over it on the Scoreboard.

In-Game Mute Options

• Mute individual Players - Individual marks next to names on the Scoreboard
  • Mute all Players - A mark option below the scoreboard

- I would just make it a simple green check mark & Red X system. Green Check Mark means the player(s) is/are NOT muted, Red X means the Player(s) is/are Muted.

In-Game Options

• Proximity
  • Squad
  • Team
  • Right click on members of your Team to adjust their individual volume

Special Features in-game

• Ability to intercept Transmissions between the opposing team no matter if it's done in Proximity, Squad, or Team chat. Must be within X distance of a Player to intercept a Transmission. X being whatever ultimately proves to be best balance.
  • Player's name next to a Microphone that turns Blue for Team, Green for Squad, Gold for your Squad Leader, Red for opposing Team.

As for where these Microphone indicators would appear. My suggestion is either-

• Have the Mics light up above the Radio button on the left of the screen.
  • Move the Tips/Hints Tab over to the left of the screen and put the Mic screen below the killfeed.

Other then that though, not sure what else is needed, or would be neat to have. I'm sure I'm missing something important and it's not going to dawn on me till someone says it. But, that is my two cents.

This reminds me the voip that rising storm 2 uses.

8 hours ago, jimharry127 said:

This reminds me the voip that rising storm 2 uses.

I know the proximity to enemies thing is something that is in Rising Storm 2 and that was something I really enjoyed, allowed for sneaky, strategic plays at moments during the game that might be possible to have in WW3. Would give the Mini Heli drone an additional use if you can sneak it behind a group and pick up on what they're planning.

• Like 2

I've always been a big fan of proximity VOIP as well and hope to see it in-game next to squad chat and team chat.

• Like 1

Yeah prox chat would be good but idk how bad it would get when people start bitching at the other team like they do already in chat. then you have to start muting the other team and then the prox chat is not severing that purpose any more.

Prox chat for allys with maybe "barks" that the other team can hear or just prox ally only prox chat.

Squad radio chat for long range comms with the immersion factor of sounding like real radio ext...

No team radio chat since normally you wouldn't have everyone on the same net like that and it would get annoying.

But I defiantly want ally prox chat if we are going to do any voip

I would also like the implementation of a proximity voip. Every once in a while you end up sorrounded only by players from a different squad and thus, it would be nice. ^^ But I would not make so that you can hear your enemies. I mean it is highly unlikely that the average grunt will have the equippment to listen to the enemy's radio. Other than that I would in general like it how TZoning did describe:
- Proxy voip for allies only

- Long range voip for the squad

- No voice chat for the whole team.

Now given this was just brought to the table: What about a streak that would allow you to listen to the enemy's proxy chat? Could be kinda fun and maybe helpful :D but that's more of a funny idea than a serious suggestion.

Anyone in proximity should be able to hear what you are saying. Squad leaders only are in a special squad leader channel, because sometimes you can have the whole team chasing each other in circles and text can be difficult to use mid-fight. Players should not stay muted between games, this encourages a silent community and it really requires no effort to mute someone again. Those who choose to should also be allowed to fully disable VOIP.

What I'd like in a VOIP (couple of things stolen from other people's list, since I also would like that!):

MODES

- Proximity (both ally and enemy)

- Squad

- Team 

- Squad Leader

I'd really like a special channel that is only available to squad leaders, giving squad leads the ability to communicate and organize. 

OTHER STUFF

- Default to on

- Default to push to talk, allow for change to voice activation but not continuous

- individual muting both teams

- muted players stay muted in future games

- list of muted players, can remove players from the list out of game

- tab channel swapping and channel specific hotkeys 

- squad/chat/mute options and info available while alive, rather than only being able to change squad when dead

- settings, options, sliders, control, etc. over microphone/headset to dine tune volumes and such

- ability to mute individual channels, can differently mute enemy and ally proximity chat

- mute-all button

- mute-all-but-friends button 

- scorestreaks that play with VOIP, such as one that shuts down the enemy's radios (all channels except proximity) for a period of time, or one that let's you hear the other teams radio for some time. The enemy radio hack could be done through different levels of it, with the lower level being to let you choose an enemy squad and hear just that squad, then the more expensive version being their whole team's radios (for less time, like the UAVs)

- using the mini drone to spy on people and listen in on their comms via proximity, could be really interesting in Recon

Edited by Zvolteh

On 1/16/2019 at 7:16 PM, ERZ_007 said:

People that get muted all the time, will receive a negative Score. So they have to be unmuted manuelly. Ive a person gets muted by several People , Temp Ban then from VOIP.

I have a feeling I should quote this and express that I like this idea a lot because a simple like reaction is just not enough. I do like this idea and would feel positively about it being implemented :)

• Like 1

Can a Social Score System be abused however? Would it not be better to just let People mute individuals based on their own experiences, rather than letting everyone else, or some automated system choose for them?

• Like 1

Sounds like the Chinese communist oppressive social score system. Very 1984.

Its pretty bad idea just mute some one if you dont want to hear them, no need to try and black list some one and of course its going to be abused.

Not every one is going to agree on what appropriate to be said, this is a mature game and people are going to use mature language which some people will dislike and try to abuse the score system against them because fuck which is in the game is bad word to them.

People just need to play a game and not worry about controlling the other people in it and imposing what others should be able to hear. Its like tryign to get some one banned because they said a thing instead of muting them, Too many busy bodies now a days trying to tell people what they should do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1