Ragir

VOIP Design Discussion

-I would like to be able to intervene the other team's signal (to listen to what they say)
- I would like to be able to sabotage the voip (so they can't speak )
-I would like it to be by proximity (only what they are in the same squad can speak no matter the distance )
-I would like that when you speak the voice is heard as if you were speaking on a radio 
-to be able to control the volume of each player (to be able to increase or decrease the volume)

• Like 3

People use discord and teamspeak so a lot of this listening stuff and jamming Coms wouldn't be fair or effective to all players.

Volume control is a must that we have forgot about.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TZoningHard said:

People use discord and teamspeak so a lot of this listening stuff and jamming Coms wouldn't be fair or effective to all players.

Yeah but people who either 1. Don’t have friends (that own the game) or 2. Are more on th casual side of the game, these kind of people will still use voip in the game so jamming and listening stuff would work.

Me personally fall in both of those, I have no friends that own the game and I’m to casual to go on discord or teamspeak to get a team.

Suggestion: An "I can't hear you" visual icon

headphone-off.png.f5df1b18ff3aee1b6f5bca64eb89e2a9.png

An icon that shows up when a team member who has voip enabled but,

- chose to mute you
 - doesn't have proximity/squad/team voice chat enabled

so anything that you say will not fall into their ears.

How:

- Have a system of showing visual cues on; who's talking, who has voip enabled/disabled/doesn't have headset or mic

- If you have muted someone/squad/team, on the other players' screen it will show that you can't hear them

Why:

Worried about feature overload and forgoing UX. 

• Like 3

This game keeps adding more and more UI.

I don't think a lot of it is needed. I don't have a issue with not knowing who cant talk, Its a bit overthinking and preparing for something that is likley not going to be usefull.

People have already said PTT

And having cross coms is gonna get spicy.

Team VoiP would be chaos.

For me good options are:

• Squad channel
  • Squad leaders comunication (for example we have 4 teams, numbers 1-4, You can directly comunicate with squad leader of team #2 by pressing Num keyboard #2, for 3 you press #3 etc.)
  • Commander -> squad leaders -> commander channel (if it will be commander role)
  • Real radio feeling
  • Volume control
  • Mute option

I don't like general VOIP because it makes chaos

Edited by DareQQ

I think what it would or could make it more "tactical":

- squad members can only communicate via VOIP to each other and the squad leader

- squad leaders can communicate via VOIP to their squad members and other squad leaders.

Muting is an important function. Playing Arma 3, I always need to mute ohter players in every match. Also the symbols are important, I would add them to the score board. Don't want too much symbols in the game.

What I also want is soemthing where you hear nearby enemies speaking. But 1st, a good working VOIP system is needed. And of course, it should sound like when someone is speaking as in real through  a radio communicator. That means adding some filter effects and change the EQ.

The last one: you need to remove the "simulated" radio speaker

The ability to mute, or lower another's volume.

-Added bonus if you can also choose to modulate someone's voice... (ie: sqeaky 10 year old's voice into a deep Ogre voice..)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, trig0tron said:

Added bonus if you can also choose to modulate someone's voice... (ie: sqeaky 10 year old's voice into a deep Ogre voice..)

Tha would be hilarious 

• Like 1

I think Viop/ Voice is default on.

1. But if you can turn it off in the Options. And it must be Showing a Toolbar for VIOP Volume IN or VIOP Volume OUT. Example Picture "Setting VIOP"

2. You can change the Keybindings: Example Team Voice , Squad Voice, mabye Gerneral Voice must be removed i think ( crying peoples ). Example Picture "Binding VIOP"

3. Dashborad ( Ingame WW3 ) there must be a Option / Menu to Mute all Players or you can handpick someone and mute or Unmuted him. Example Picture "Dashboard VIOP"

4. Ingame ( WW3 ) HUD it must be showing you sending Voice and who on your Squad is speaking or is muted by your own.  Example Picture "HUD VIOP"

This Picture is from a Game like " Enemy Territory - Quake Wars " aka ETQW this game have some good idea or are the best idea's ever is seen. VIOP, Console bindings, Net_client Lagometer, HUD changing, Ingame Clan-Member features, Ingame Stats, Ingame Server-Browser, etc.

That is my personally things about WW3 to made VIOP better than other Games.

Sorry for my bad english.

Setting VIOP.png

Binding VIOP.png

Dashboard VIOP.png

HUD VIOP.png

I know this thread is a bit dead now, but seeing how VOIP has been put in now I would like to see some things added:

• When a player speaks (including yourself), you should see their name/profile pic next to a speaker symbol like in CSGO. I was screaming like an idiot into my mic on PTE today and couldn't tell if anyone could hear me or if VOIP was working at all.
  • Developers should release a 'how to use VOIP' video, it seems a bit confusing right now, and it would be nice to see an easy to follow tutorial because it seems to be completely missing from the HUD right now and most people won't go delving into the settings menu
  • Use a different default key to the radio key, because otherwise people who haven't followed the game in a while will think that voice is just another way of saying radio message when the prompt comes up
  • Like 2

Been playing PTE, I think voip is somewhat in but I never hear it even after several hours back on .6.3

I would change the voip key away from the quick radio key as well. I see issues of hotmicing when you try to use the quick radio,

You know the Voip for squadleaders gives me mixed feelings, because for instance if you are in a tank and not paying a attention for a few minutes, then your squadleader role can be stolen by this total dick in your squad. Yes, personal experience, it's pretty frustrating. A general votekick system should be in place, if people hate a squadleader because he is a dick or doesn't actually lead the squad. Don't kick him from the squad though, just remove his leading role and give it to someone else.