Sign in to follow this  
Tactigamer

The Question of all Questions - Battle Royale Mode?

I know, I know. The field is saturated and every one and their brother is making a Battle Royale. However, they’re  very popular now and I really enjoy them because of the adrenaline rush it brings. I expect the player base to be up much more eventually, so when it is...is this something that’s ever been considered by devs? Also...would you all as a player base want this? 

Just curious. 

I really would be disappointed if they followed the hype. I really dislike BR to the point it borders on hate.

The closest we are getting is Recon which is a tactical last squad standing onelife objective game mode. ITs kinda BR but was though up when H1Z1 was just becoming a thing.

Its like the divergence of BR from the old school BR and not the new fad BRs. If you could call it a BR anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like the concept of BR in general and am still enjoying PUBG but I also do not see how it would fit into the concept of WW3 and would also say that pursuing an own approach with the recon mode is the better choice.

I don't know where y'all have been or if you are new, but the Recon mode which is the BR alike game mode is planned since long ago, so... 

"Large Smolensk" being the rumored map for this game mode.

20 hours ago, Enrique said:

I don't know where y'all have been or if you are new, but the Recon mode which is the BR alike game mode is planned since long ago, so... 

"Large Smolensk" being the rumored map for this game mode.

Yup, I confirm this. However, our Recon will be a slightly different experience than a classic BR. We've adapted the game mode  to our urban maps and the matches will be definitely more intense. Of course it won't lack the suspense and tactical gameplay. Wait for further updates. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Atway said:

You didint know it was coming? It fits a realistic setting of the game it’s not just gonna be a pubg ripoff, I’m excited for it, recon sounds like fun so (and I hate fortnite and dislike pubg) and apparently it’s gonna have objectives to capture i think.

i think this will b a fine addition to the game. (but there’s gonna be player problems becuase there won’t be enough people) maybe it will even boost the player count?

4 hours ago, MOBBOB said:

You didint know it was coming?

I know that its coming. Hope it will be not like fortnite/pubg/black ops 4/etc.

• Like 1

I'm not about the rhetoric of you dont have to play it.

I really dislike TDM, but I got to deal with it or play 6v6 Warzones at times.

Also I have to see TDM getting more attention then WZ which was supposed to be the bread and butter game mode that we were all expecting to be the corner stone of WW3 and wanting instead of the experience we were getting in more casual games which fill the market.

Recon hopefully wont be a BR. It doesn't sound like a BR. PubG and H1Z1 were bad BRs that copied a mod that copied a mod from minecraft which was a true BR game more like what was in the books and the books that were inspired by the books.

What is put into game such as possible BRs and TDMs. This game at first seemed to be not so casual but now with the addition of TDM and some other mechanics its going more and more casual which is a let down since the market is nothing but casual games.

• Like 1

I sometimes truly wonder what your definition of a casual game is. If it should be something "play casually and still be really good" due to the lack of skil ceiling I would say that PUBG is not really a casual game (cannot speak for the other games you mentioned as I have no experience with them). That is not to say there are not many casual players in the game and it especially does not mean one has to like the game or something like that.

Apart from that I think that Recon sounds really interesting and I am looking forward to it. Additionally I would not say that TDM gets more attention than WZ atm. Granted Berlin TDM and Warsaw TDM came out after the release and apparently more changes have been made to them than the WZ  maps but we cannot say for sure how much is going on in the background can we? But it could quite well be that you have some inside information so that is just my personal experience.

• Like 1

Definition is pretty clear and its clear to see how the game which was shown to not have markers to see for you, to be pumped up about having objective based modes, never shown that there was a minimap, the score system wasn't handouts in .0, and the was no thought of a mode like TDM which is mindless running around FFA with have the players being competition that you cant kill.

Even in interviews Kamil and devs said it was going to be a hardcore game with room for some casual players. But now I see WW3 was never supposed to be a hardcore game but they keep sliding along the scale towards more casual, hand holdy, we cant do that its too hard for some players type decisions.

Now we have markers all over the screen, people are pretty much not working for any of their score streaks since its handed to them, they made the time limit short for a while for casual players, we have TDM which is good for low end PCs but my god is the game mode bad, even if the maps look good. I see them keep shifting towards more casual play instead of being less handholdy, more conducive to dedicating play and you have to earn rewards.

PubG is designed for casual play for sure and you see people that go hard on it but its still a casual game for a casual audience. That what recent BR a quick jump in dont have to go hard game mode for mainstream crowd.

BR 's are made to be accessible as possible to as many players as possible since they are mostly cashgrabs. That is the cookie cutter for that genre fad. Most of them are just trying to get paid not make great games and BRs have been making that money with not much effort in cases.

You can see that TDM maps get new things every patch. They opened up a room in Warsaw this PTE, gave us Berlin, and balancing that wouldn't of been issues in Warzone but maybe in TDM, and Warzone is still sitting there and can be way much better.

I might like Recon but I definitely dont like TDM, Berlin is a better map but its still the same old run in a circle with out really thinking dealing with bad teamates. TDM takes dev time and players away from WZ.

Which is my point is that we could have a better WZ instead and the best game we could have possible or a less bad TDM because resources are being used on TDM instead of redoing completed WZ maps. So having other game modes is not you dont have to play it situation it still affects the game including how its balanced.

They already made Recon pretty much and it might be good, to me it doesn't sound like BR and I clearly see it as not a fad chaser so i'm not against it. I do see how it can affect the games as a whole tho, good or bad.

• Like 1

I am sorry but I am afraid the definition is not as clear as it seems. At least not yours and at least not to me. It might help if you just sketch out the definition of casual vs. a hardcore game you are relying upon or give me some hint where I can read it on my own.

Getting to te last part of your post: You are right of course. The TDM maps getting more updates recently etc. my point was mainly that we cannot know for sure if that takes any map designer away from the WZ maps - although this is likely of course. But what I can imagine is that we are going to see some of the TDM map elements on the WZ maps with TDM being some sort of testing area before implementing it into WZ. But as I said you are right: From what we see it seems that there is more attention on the TDM maps right now although I do not know if that is truly the thing.

Then lets turn back to casual games. I did not follow WW3 early and closely enough to be able to say if a minimap was ever shown, streaks were announced from the beginning etc. so most likely you are right here as well about that the game took a turn on these topics (one which I do not like too much as well. I would rather don't have a minimap pop up when the UAV is active and would prefer no 3D spotting and no hitmarkers and so on but that is a different story anyway). So the point you make above is ultimately that WW3 is or has become to hand holdy which makes it casual?

On the other hand PUBG is casual too? But it can't be for the same reason because PUBG is not that hand holdy at all. No markers, no minimap and winning a round requires dedication. If your argument that PUBG is a casual game made for casual gamers because of its accessibility I would strongly disagree on that argument.

Accessibility itself is neither an indicator for or against a casual game. A real life example: Footbal is arguably one of the most accessible and most popular sports on the planet. You need a ball and you are good to go basically. Are there millions of casual football players? - Yes! Can you have a ton of fun playing football casually? - Also yes! Will dedication, training or put differently a more hardcore approach make you stand out from the more casual players? Absolutely yes!

The arguments you mentioned above are a bit inconsistent in my opinion. PUBG does not do the things WW3 does to make WW3 casual according to you but still is casual because of something else which is not really an argument for casual games overall. On other occasions I saw you arguing against mechanics in WW3 which could make it more potentially more hardcore in some ways too.

Edit: E.g. you also complain about TDM partly because it leads to too much mindless run & gun gameplay but at the same time I find you arguing in favor of gun mechanics favoring run & gun gameplay which I find puzzling to a degree.

I mean it is absolutely fine not to like BR or whatelse. Some do (me too but still I would not want a PUBG style mode in WW3) and that should be also fine. Also one could acknowledge that a BR game not necessarily casual without harming one self. Why is it necessary to rant about other games being either casual or too larpy in your opinion in every single thread? I can agree with many of your propositions on further design questions for WW3 and you put a lot of time into the game helping to develop it for which not only the devs but likely also large parts of the community owe you gratitude and so do I. But you appear to have a very specific and clear picture in the mind of what you would WW3 like to be or become which is good yet is there truly a need to run down anything you dislike whenever possible?

Edited by HeiligeRobbe

On 1/18/2019 at 7:12 AM, Kony said:

Good news- you don't have to play it :)

Dont worry atway , this is why theres 250 players , Good response dev !

23 hours ago, Atway said:

I know that its coming. Hope it will be not like fortnite/pubg/black ops 4/etc.

of course its going to be like those , thats the "battle royale" genre , just cause its urban means its and urban pubg, fortnite , ROE , cod4 ect ect ect ect ect ect.  This games roadmap is headed straight for the nearest solid object .

No, god no. What is WW3!! about battle royale? This is a global conflict game, a war of factions, armies. Royale is a cancer that needs to be irradiated from team games. 

From every thing Ive heard about it, it doesn't sound like the current fad BRs or even a BR at all. Its more like going on a mission against other players and trying to get out alive, kinda like The Hunt: Show down. Go in do a thing fight people off then exfill.

But yeah What comes into the game is a good measure of the games direction. TDM is the only thing you can get a match on sometimes and is kinda draining WZ but people dont crash on it as much but there is only so much even people who like TDM can take of TDM.

Games direction is worrying, listening to people about the match time was a wake up for me I should of noticed when they uped the score you got. The uped score I think is very damaging to the games behavioral conditioning as now people work together way less then at launch. You can farm kills to get strikes instead of playing the objective and even that the strikes are not earned. You really had to earn the strikes and they felt special now its another tool I try to farm up to reuse.

Right now its like: Oh there's a tank, I need 500 another points till I can call in a JDAM, I think to my self at that moment that I could get that in a minute, tanks optics are 100 a piece a enemy kill is 150-200 points I can spot to get extra, Oh look there's two enemy's that 300 points plus tanks optics theirs my 500 points.

Instead of now which is wow I earned this strike that allows me to pad with some free kills now. I do miss when people called in one or two big strikes in a game and when I was told mini map would be hard to have up all the time.

Recon was a known game mode and part of the game people were expecting same as WZ which should be this games direction of some what realistic war situations taht get away from all the fads a lot of us are seeking refuge from.

I was really looking forward to the Direction of WW3 I kept hearing from interviews and insights that this game is shifting away from.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 1:08 PM, TZoningHard said:

From every thing Ive heard about it, it doesn't sound like the current fad BRs or even a BR at all. Its more like going on a mission against other players and trying to get out alive, kinda like The Hunt: Show down. Go in do a thing fight people off then exfill.

This. Recon will be far from silly running and gunning with a frying pan on your head, don't worry about that.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:44 PM, Harshilizer said:

Dont worry atway , this is why theres 250 players , Good response dev !

Ok, let me try once again - you don't have to play this game mode.

8 hours ago, Artaxiad300062 said:

Dude its literally 5V5, its not true battle royale, what is the complaint against it?? You haven't even seen it. 

I don’t think it’s 5v5  (I haven’t heard the player count though).

but it definitely doesn’t sound like a true br (as TZoningHard has mentioned most of his posts on this topic) I kinda understand where there coming from but I disagree personally I’m excited for recon.