Rivy

Performance issues - game sometimes loads up with poor frametimes when in fullscreen or borderless

DESCRIPTION OF BUG:

When I load up the game in fullscreen or borderless, the frame times are artificially slow for my system, which usually has no issues with frame times except for network latency. I believe that this is more likely to happen when browsers such as Chrome and Firefox are in the background, but I cannot be certain.

This bug has occurred to me when running Chrome and Firefox in the background as well as with only one of the browsers, and when I had World War 3 installed on a 3.5" Toshiba 7200RPM 2GB hard disk drive.

Here is the effect of the performance bug, and here are the settings that I have used. Even with using mixed settings I have been able to replicate the bug.

I believe that this issue might have something to do with Unreal Engine 4, Windows 10, Discord and possibly other Electron applications, or any other application that uses the same browser engine that Google Chrome and/or Mozilla Firefox use. It could also be as a result of inefficient extensions from the aforementioned browsers as well.

The performance issues do appear to be alleviated when the game is relaunched.

GAME BUILD ID:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Start Windows, with the below mentioned startup programs, and almost immediately after, launch a browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

2. Start Steam and start World War 3 (with fullscreen settings from a previous session)

3. Attempt switching between fullscreen, window fullscreen and window in Settings > Video. One should expect longer frame times when playing the game or even navigating through in-game menus at fullscreen or window fullscreen, characterized by the cursor being less responsive to user input through movement.

SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS:

Startup programs: Akamai NetSession Client, Discord, iCUE, Microsoft OneDrive, Realtek HD Audio Manager, Steam Client Bootstrapper, Radeon settings (not in task manager) and Windows Security notifications.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000 MHz DDR4

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A 

Graphics card: MSI Gaming Radeon RX 570 8GB

Drive that the game and OS are installed on: Drevo X1 Pro 256GB SSD

Monitor: ASUS 21.5" VP228TE

A few less important components, included just in case:

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Keyboard: Corsair K65 Rapidfire RGB

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

Audio: Logitech H600 Wireless headset

Edited by Rivy

Hey, at the beginning I would recommend uninstall Akamai software.

Do you still have the issues with your game, because you said it only occurs on your HDD, but later you wrote that you have the game installed on SSD?

1 minute ago, weedtime said:

Hey, at the beginning I would recommend uninstall Akamai software.

Do you still have the issues with your game, because you said it only occurs on your HDD, but later you wrote that you have the game installed on SSD?

I have issues with it both on HDD and SSD, but it's never occurred to me that Akamai software could be responsible. I don't know how it was even installed in the first place.

4 hours ago, weedtime said:

It's spying and insecure software, randomly installing as a download manager, get rid off it.

https://www.howto-connect.com/remove-akamai-netsession-client-windows-10/

Can you provide GPU/CPU/SSD usage during gameplay on fullscreen and window mode when the problem occurs? MSI Afterburner should do the trick.

I'll try and do this through restarting my system, maybe even cold booting it. I'll go and install MSI Afterburner and provide footage. I'll attempt to record this when the issue happens again.

I have experienced the bug again, albeit through a different method (this time with leaving Chrome, Discord, MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner in the background, just casually browsing the web and talking to people). I have uninstalled the offending Akamai spyware as of writing this.

MSI Afterburner says that when I do experience this performance bug, it shows me that my frame times are at 66ms. However, the frame times go down to 33ms (what it normally is without this frame time issue, and lower as well), and the frame time issues still occur.

Here is my game's typical performance, this time, showing more detailed stats. My system is capable of 60+ fps in this game on ultra for nearly all environments except where there is intense visual effects such as fire, but I have locked the frame rate of the game as a personal preference. I experience the same issues whether I have the frame rate lock enabled or not.

Here is my game with the performance issue, with more detailed stats.

Edited by Rivy

4 hours ago, Rivy said:

I'll try and do this through restarting my system, maybe even cold booting it. I'll go and install MSI Afterburner and provide footage. I'll attempt to record this when the issue happens again.

I have experienced the bug again, albeit through a different method (this time with leaving Chrome, Discord, MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner in the background, just casually browsing the web and talking to people). I have uninstalled the offending Akamai spyware as of writing this.

MSI Afterburner says that when I do experience this performance bug, it shows me that my frame times are at 66ms. However, the frame times go down to 33ms (what it normally is without this frame time issue, and lower as well), and the frame time issues still occur.

Here is my game's typical performance, this time, showing more detailed stats. My system is capable of 60+ fps in this game on ultra for nearly all environments except where there is intense visual effects such as fire, but I have locked the frame rate of the game as a personal preference. I experience the same issues whether I have the frame rate lock enabled or not.

Here is my game with the performance issue, with more detailed stats.

Can you also provide footage while it stutters but with Cpu clock, or just do a test by itself, just tell me if the CPU clock drops down Mhz while it stutters.

I'm asking to turn on CPU clock for each core like below:

Screenshot_2019-01-27 (1) How to fix stuttering Ryzen 3 2200G Ryzen 5 2400G (Asus A320) Works on all B350 X370 - YouTube.png

4 hours ago, weedtime said:

Can you also provide footage while it stutters but with Cpu clock, or just do a test by itself, just tell me if the CPU clock drops down Mhz while it stutters.

I'm asking to turn on CPU clock for each core like below:

Screenshot_2019-01-27 (1) How to fix stuttering Ryzen 3 2200G Ryzen 5 2400G (Asus A320) Works on all B350 X370 - YouTube.png

Here is a video with CPU clocks in Afterburner.

CPU seems to be OK, I would bet on Graphics card, but it's late now for me, but for now, you can test a couple of things.

In windows settings, power options:

1. Press the [Windows Key] + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type powercfg.cpl and then press Enter.
  3. In the Power Options window, under Select, a power plan, choose High Performance.
  4. If you do not see the High-Performance option, click the down arrow next to Show additional plans or Create a new plan and select High Performance, then follow instructions.
  5. Click Save Changes or click OK.

In AMD Control panel find the options: (I'm not really a fan of AMD, but give it a try)

-Power efficiency set it Off. Not sure if it's the correct option for you drivers.

-Radeon Wattman if you have/use this, please check guide below and make sure you tweak your card for maximum performance and turn off all power savings options or set them on highest possible mode.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-020

If nothing change, go to MSI afterburner and disable ULPS, not sure if still exist in common Radeon.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/350632-amd-gpu-increase-performance-by-disabling-downclocking/

I've concluded that the cause of the issue has been the fact that web browsers can interfere with the performance of my game, which is something  in my experience not restricted to titles such as World War 3. I have experienced similar performance issues in games such as Grand Theft Auto V as well, which occurred mostly as a result of having a browser open in the background. Right now I may even have to restart my system just to restore typical game performance even after closing browsers I believe.

Edited by Rivy

5 minutes ago, Rivy said:

I've concluded that the cause of the issue has been the fact that web browsers can interfere with the performance of my game, which is something  in my experience not restricted to titles such as World War 3. I have experienced similar performance issues in games such as Grand Theft Auto V as well, which occurred mostly as a result of having a browser open in the background.

In my opinion, your graphics card throttle/drop clocks, that's why it lagging, the game works fine for me with open browser etc.  The menu is sometimes laggy, but there is no delay between the screen=graphics card, so my game no stutter.

Maybe @Ragir want to say something about this.

1 minute ago, weedtime said:

In my opinion, your graphics card throttle/drop clocks, that's why it lagging, the game works fine for me with open browser etc.  The menu is sometimes laggy, but there is no delay between the screen=graphics card, so my game no stutter.

Maybe @Ragir want to say something about this.

I'll try one last time with having the card on maximum settings.

Just now, Rivy said:

I'll try one last time with having the card on maximum settings.

I've noticed on the videos, when your card is on the ~stable clock the game no stutter, but as the card start from low and trying to went on the higher clock, then game start stuttering.

I don't think I can fix these performance issues for now. The best way I can avoid them right now is to avoid opening up browsers at all or play on windowed.

Edited by Rivy

11 hours ago, Rivy said:

I don't think I can fix these performance issues for now. The best way I can avoid them right now is to avoid opening up browsers at all or play on windowed.

From what I've seen in this topic this might be GPU clock doing something funky, you can lock it to one value (lower than normal) and check if that's the problem, but since you have a workaround maybe it's not worth the hassle.

We'll be looking for this problem when testing, maybe we can do something about it (but I doubt it, since it happens in other games too, seems to be hardware related).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ragir said:

From what I've seen in this topic this might be GPU clock doing something funky, you can lock it to one value (lower than normal) and check if that's the problem, but since you have a workaround maybe it's not worth the hassle.

We'll be looking for this problem when testing, maybe we can do something about it (but I doubt it, since it happens in other games too, seems to be hardware related).

Yeah, I cannot always reproduce the bug, and I believe that it is related to hardware or OS issues, or the offending browsers and/or their extensions that cause performance issues when they run in the background.

So far, the performance issues since the PTE and maybe the live updates as of writing have been resolved - changing from fullscreen to windowed and back to fullscreen again have fixed this for me, and using Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge do not invoke this performance bug as much so far.