Sign in to follow this  
Rivy

Have you considered adding Linux support for these games?

I understand that this is unlikely for a variety of reasons, with the most pertinent one being the lack of market share. I also believe that anti-cheat systems may wrongly flag players playing games that have not been officially ported to Linux by the developers (and recently Steam with the Proton system). I have checked Easy Anti-Cheat's website, and it does appear that fortunately, for major Linux distributions, compatibility (and hence false positives) may not be an issue (granted, the webpage I have linked may not have been updated in a while).

While I was on the Discord, I've noted people asking about console ports of the game, which you have also considered only if the PC release is a success. Having used Unreal Engine 4, I am aware that, like with many other game engines, it offers support for platforms other than Microsoft Windows. Recently, Unreal Engine 4 offers Linux deployment from Windows, but it's been a challenge for me to get that working myself.

If this is feasible for The Farm 51, in the long term, I would eventually like to see this operating system be considered, with compatibility through Proton on Steam at the very least. I, and I believe many other users since the release of Windows 8, are frustrated of being locked down with needing to use Windows just to run the vast majority of software and games out there. I believe that Linux helps users avoid vendor lock-in through Windows, have better control and independence over the software they need, and will allow them to save money as well (Linux distributions are generally donationware).

It would interest me to hear The Farm 51's input on this.

• Thanks 1

Linux is always on the table, but this is mostly on Epic to make it work well. For now we're firmly into Windows version and it's taking all of the resources we have, with deploying and testing taking A LOT of time. With another version and testing setups it'd slow down patches a lot, maybe even double the time we need to deploy updates, so for now this is not really feasible. Even deploying dedicated servers is problematic with linux and UE4, and that's a big money save in Windows licenses for the hardware.

I won't lie - there's not very much hope for this unless we really hit it off with WW3 and have spare cash just to make something cool, for now we can try from time to time and see if it's better.

Epic supports consoles much better than Linux and - let's be frank - the potential playerbases on consoles make the work much more worth it.

I know it sounds kinda grim and soulless, but at the end of the day we have to feed our families and while it'd be awesome to support open software (I'm a big fan of this concept myself), it might not be feasible (Linux has like 0.84% of Steam userbase, while Windows is at 96%).

But, as stated earlier, if Epic steps their game up, we figure out some miracle (or someone else does) or we just sell to everyone and their mothers - there's hope.

• Like 1

Yeah. I've tried adding Linux support for Unreal Engine 4 myself (with deployment) - so far, it's been a pain. I'm also glad to hear about your enthusiasm with open source software @Ragir. ?

1 hour ago, Rivy said:

I'm also glad to hear about your enthusiasm with open source software @Ragir. ?

Why wouldn't I support open software? Anyone should, it has its problems, sure, but stuff like Blender shows that it could work really well if done right - especially now that everything is turning to subscription model, which I personally despise :P

• Like 1