Sign in to follow this  
Salt Lord

Artillery and airstrikes

For those of you who have been complaining about artillery and airstrike spam. You guys should start using jammers. It blocks anything from being called it in the area or entire map depending on the jammer and are very cheap. Just place a jammer around the objective you are about to cap for 500 points and you are safe from all artillery and airstrikes. Simple 

Oh and it also blocks gadgets so you are safe from those annoying quadcopters : ) 

Think the devs made things cheaper to give people more of a reason to use jammers 

Edited by Salt Lord
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Or they could balance the game and give incentive to work as a team to obtain rewards such as streaks. the game is less about gunplay which is the reason to play a FPS and more about cheesing strikes.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Salt Lord said:

For those of you who have been complaining about artillery and airstrike spam. You guys should start using jammers. It blocks anything from being called it in the area or entire map depending on the jammer and are very cheap. Just place a jammer around the objective you are about to cap for 500 points and you are safe from all artillery and airstrikes. Simple 

Oh and it also blocks gadgets so you are safe from those annoying quadcopters : ) 

Think the devs made things cheaper to give people more of a reason to use jammers 

That's a pretty good point - Especially since jammers cover an area much larger than artillery and some of the strikes.

5 hours ago, TZoningHard said:

Or they could balance the game and give incentive to work as a team to obtain rewards such as streaks. the game is less about gunplay which is the reason to play a FPS and more about cheesing strikes.

If there's already a way to stop the cheesy strikes, as stated above, does it need to be balanced? It has a counter that costs a fraction of the cost and covers an area greater than potentially impacted by strikes. What needs to be balanced?
Maybe raise the cost of jammers?

Edited by @PRUNKgaming
  • Thanks 2

Never liked damage based call in strikes. They usually are unbalanced and don't add anything to the game. It is not fun or engaging to be bombed by something that is not player controlled and it just feels cheap.

They also usually "reward" the team that is already winning which makes the round even more frustrating for the other team. People also often figure out how meta point gain and then abuse the crap out of it. 

I would cheer if all damage based strikes disappear and you can only use utility strikes like the UAV, Jamming and maybe something like smoke rounds. 

1 hour ago, Schlagerfreund said:

They also usually "reward" the team that is already winning

They "reward" those, who know how to use them.
BTW they can be used both offensive or defensive. You can break apart whole enemy team push by 1 good airstrike.
Or you can eliminate all that hiding and camping entrances guys to attack objective.

They are totally useless if not timed and placed well.
They are totally devastating if you know what you are doing;)

So just learn how to use them)

Hmm you are right in one way CapybaraPaul but I think Schlagerfreund has a point in there that the winning team often has more battle points than the losing. Thus, if a team gets stomped which is already somewhat frustrating (at least for some it might be) you can get spammed with strikes on top.

But apart from that I am with you. They are only effective if used with caution and getting the most out of them requires thought and skill in some way. Still I would prefer the prices to be higher again. At least for some strikes.

@CapybaraPaul

That makes it even worse because you put something that is potentially very strong into the hands of 1-3 players of a team. That makes it very unbalanced because you can easily make or break it by something that is not related to the majority of players. You end up in a situation where somebody who does not know those systems well or does not really care (because at the end of the day he wants to shoot people and not cheese-meta around) can effectively play for the other team, just by not using or wasting those assets. 

That's also why I think most games should only have what I called utility strikes which would be strikes like smoke rounds, scans, jamming etc. 

1 hour ago, Schlagerfreund said:

@CapybaraPaul

That makes it even worse because you put something that is potentially very strong into the hands of 1-3 players of a team. That makes it very unbalanced because you can easily make or break it by something that is not related to the majority of players. You end up in a situation where somebody who does not know those systems well or does not really care (because at the end of the day he wants to shoot people and not cheese-meta around) can effectively play for the other team, just by not using or wasting those assets. 

That's also why I think most games should only have what I called utility strikes which would be strikes like smoke rounds, scans, jamming etc. 

So you don't have to learn how to play, and don't need to know about game mechanics to perform better?

You are getting more expirienced, you understand what to do, you perform better. Am i wrong?

You don't have to master every aspect of the game, to play for fun:)

But if you don't want to discover deepenss of the game, doesn't mean nobody wants. Its not the reason to make WW3-Overwatch:)

You make it sound like you need some high skill or experience to use them effectively. Spoiler Alert, you don't. Those systems are not deep at all and  I don't see a reason why I should pretend otherwise. Apart from that my reason still stands that they are bad for balance and easy to meta-cheese. 

Hmm I just had a quick thought. Maybe it has some potential, maybe not. And it is not that easy to explain either :D

Let's say you play in a Squad of four and everyone has enough BP to call in a strike. Instead of calling in arty right away I propose to my Squad to strike at a certain position (just like now, click on the spot) the rest of the squad gets a notification about a strike request and has to agree or disagree. In a 2 on 2 situation the SL is decisive.

This is not really worked out, but what a system like this could maybe lead to is more interaction with your squad (in the same way one could make requests for certain strikes maybe) and one could maybe also reduce the spam of strikes? I am not sure about this. Just an idea I wanted to share.

5 hours ago, Schlagerfreund said:

You make it sound like you need some high skill or experience to use them effectively. Spoiler Alert, you don't. Those systems are not deep at all and  I don't see a reason why I should pretend otherwise. Apart from that my reason still stands that they are bad for balance and easy to meta-cheese. 

If it does not require high skill, then what was about this?

8 hours ago, Schlagerfreund said:

You end up in a situation where somebody who does not know those systems well or does not really care (because at the end of the day he wants to shoot people and not cheese-meta around)

And learn to use jammers, they prevent strikes for the whole map;)

It's easy to use, it's easy to counter.
So where is the "cheesenes"?

Edited by CapybaraPaul

Some personal advice. Try to actually read comments of other people and not just try to frantically counter argument anything you don't like. You may end up understanding a different point of view or opinion (which you are then still free to dislike).

Not "knowing" a system has literally nothing to do with any sort of skill . This is especially the case when a game is explaining those systems very poorly or not explaining them at all. 

Otherwise you have a pretty large group of people that will not give a crap about calling in strikes. As I mentioned already, a lot of people will be heavily engaged in their selected role. Meaning they may want to sit on flanks and sniper, hunt armor with rpg's, support their team as a medic etc.

The cheese factor comes from the fact that you cam earn the points for it very fast and it is often not really related to the base objectives of a game mode. You end up people playing to get strike X and not to win a round or to contribute with it. 

• Like 1