RNG_of_Doom

Reserving HDD Space

Why is Steam reserving tons of GB (60+) for a few MB or GB Update?

Sometime its not possible to load the Update because the HDD is "out of space".

Got this Problem only with WW3.

Can anybody help?

• Like 1

Because the Steam needs to make a safe copy of the whole game, before updating files. Then space is released.

On 2/10/2019 at 5:40 PM, weedtime said:

Because the Steam needs to make a safe copy of the whole game, before updating files. Then space is released.

1)Why does this happen only with this game? Because of this update method my ssd heats up by 65 degrees.
2)And why do I need to upload 7 files before each update? Why is this problem still there?

P.S. Thank you in advance.

49 minutes ago, Akan said:

1)Why does this happen only with this game? Because of this update method my ssd heats up by 65 degrees.
2)And why do I need to upload 7 files before each update? Why is this problem still there?

P.S. Thank you in advance.

It happens with most of the games, 70 degrees is safe and probably max temperature of your SSD with maximum efficiency. Steam copy/reserve space for the whole game, before an update to improve performance in allocating new files. I'm not really into this, it takes max 2 minutes for me after download, so don't really care, my SSD  works on 42 degrees...

We talking about 7 files when you check integrity? It's not fixed, because no one track the files yet, if you can do it, please send us information which files are replacing every time, it's just not important at this moment, as the 7 files don't really matter.

21 minutes ago, weedtime said:

It takes max 2 minutes for me after download

Half an hour for me.

23 minutes ago, weedtime said:

We talking about 7 files when you check integrity? It's not fixed, because no one track the files yet, if you can do it, please send us information which files are replacing every time, it's just not important at this moment, as the 7 files don't really matter.

Thanks for the explanation.

20 minutes ago, Akan said:

Half an hour for me.

Thanks for the explanation.

Check your SSD speed, also SATA connection is way slower than M.2, mine, for example, have 2000 Read/900 Write speed MB/s.

I found only in Speccy: 
Max. Transfer Mode    SATA III 6.0Gb/s
Used Transfer Mode    SATA II 3.0Gb/s

Speed    Not used (SSD Drive)

2 hours ago, Akan said:

I found only in Speccy: 
Max. Transfer Mode    SATA III 6.0Gb/s
Used Transfer Mode    SATA II 3.0Gb/s

Speed    Not used (SSD Drive)

It's not the hard drive speed.

Ok, so this is related to two things:

1. We can choose how we do our updates with Steam. One way is to redownload each whole pack, even if it has only 1mb changed in it OR only download what changed and REPACK this data. We chose the second one, since some people might not be able to redownload the whole game each time we make a change (and we had 5 patches in the last week - imagine that). Some people only have 50GB data caps for the whole month, so this is probably not a good option.

2. Our packs are not yet optimized. As you can see in the screenshot below, we've only separated a few of them. We can do this much better, but there are 2 problems: it requires the game content to not change much (so we need to wait) and will require someone that really knows where stuff is and how its linked together and will take a month or so of just 8hr a day clicking. We can't afford to have our best people to do this for a month right now, especially with this possibly being rekt by additional changes we're planning.

image.png

So, this will get a lot better in the coming months, just not yet, sorry.