Rivy

The World War 3 community is terrible.

There, I've said it. Based on my experiences from the official Discord (I will elaborate on the Discord issue a bit later since I have issues with Discord as a whole) and communities that are interested in this game, and also within the game as well, and from what I've heard elsewhere, anyone interested in the game seems rather hostile.

People often complain about the gameplay, which is understandable, and is thankfully something that can easily be communicated to the developers like this forum. What I don't find very appealing about the World War 3 community are people's issues with aspects unrelated to gameplay, The Farm 51 or even the gaming industry. I believe a lot of people have come over to play World War 3 in order to stage a boycott against Battlefield V, which I can understand if they wanted to avoid Electronic Arts' greed; however, I believe that many World War 3 players are against, sometimes passionately, players with more liberal and progressive stances (who seem to sadly be the minority worldwide). As someone who is passionate regarding a few sensitive topics, this is heavily discouraging, and this may be another point of contention for new users as well. I do not want more liberal and progressive users, especially ones who will want a first person shooter to get into, to be forced to play games that feed corporate greed (e.g. games by Nintendo, Blizzard, Activision, EA, Bethesda and Ubisoft), but no one should have to be forced to feed the gaming industry's corporate greed.

Other people may just want to play a Battlefield-style shooter, may genuinely prefer modern war settings, may not care about Battlefield V, and do not want to give Electronic Arts money or attention. A lot of my issues with the community so far has taken place on the official Discord server - I could block the offending users, but it is still too easy to view what blocked users have said and to even unblock them altogether (I have recently sent Discord this feature request but I doubt that that's gonna do anything). I had to leave because I did not want to further validate the views of various people or even have to take heed to them.

Part of this had led me to being kicked out of a Discord server which has a lot of World War 3 players - I admit that I may have started the drama, but while I am on board with promoting this game, I do not want to be associated with a group of people who have positions that support bringing back repressive norms to societies worldwide. Fortunately, the group I've been kicked out from did this to me in order to avoid drama related to politics in the first place - I just think that voice chats in that community would need to be better moderated since I could come across political discussions in the absence of admins/moderators, and I still stand by my outlook of avoiding association with individuals whose stances oppose mine.

I think this is part of a wider issue. First person shooter games (or most other games that includes the use of guns) tend to attract a male audience, and in my experience, male-dominated spaces tend to have a more conservative outlook on life and can be incredibly hostile compared to some other communities I've been to, like those that aren't strictly related to gaming (but can still have gamers nonetheless). I don't know if the devs want to have this game set an example for others, but they probably should if they want it to be a success story. The place should be more welcoming to individuals who want to try out first person shooters and who have an outlook different to the typical audience of shooters, as games involving firearms tend to have a more negative reputation, for speculated links to real life gun violence, for their very gameplay, and for their communities creating and perpetuating a culture of hate and contempt towards other players and certain other non-players.

Politics aside, the entire vibe of the World War 3 community is hostile - people constantly complain about lag, hackers and cheaters and even put the blame on other players for issues around this and give the devs shit (who have incredibly limited resources). I've had someone want players from other regions to leave just to resolve the lag, which is unwelcoming for players who wish to play on other regions for the sake of community, if not to avoid servers infamous for language barriers and cheaters. It's cheaper for me and everyone else to talk to and play with, for instance, North Americans from Europe, and have North Americans tolerate some lag, than move to where they're playing just so they can play the game without lagging; I think the devs will need to upgrade or fix their servers to cope with issues like this. I've also heard that someone was accused of being a nationalist for Poland in terms of their support for this game. I mean, I do have a few political issues with Poland, but this game is from an indie company, a company that barely has influence in the national and international stage for politics and the game industry, and who will be working almost non-stop to make this game great for everyone (and thankfully has rather tolerant people as well). The community and anyone outside of F51 involved with the game seems like everyone involved is at each other's throats.

I'm sorry, but while Star Citizen has broken more promises than this game has (it's been in alpha for almost the entire decade it started from, and I've heard at least one WW3 player call Star Citizen a scam), places like that community are far more civilized than in here - there are a few reasons why I think that is so, which may have something to do with the games themselves. If World War 3 wants a bigger audience, they need to fucking do something about the mess that is the community that takes interest in this game.

Yes, you can call me a triggered SJW, but I think that the community is just as instrumental to a game's success as the gameplay and companies' consideration for its community are. People will be driven away from games when people complain about other players regardless of politics; even if the bugs are fixed, there will still be some people and some situations that will make the game look and feel like it's still not fixed, and will be a source of complaints. I want this game to be people's escape from Electronic Arts' monopoly on Battlefield-style shooters, especially with the recent and overwhelming trend towards Battle Royale shooters - people should be thankful of this as well, especially considering how it comes from an indie game development studio. I want to play with other people, but I don't want to be put off from doing so. I believe this will be the case for others as well.

The developers need to take stricter action against anyone who wants to resort to flat out insults and to bring politically contentious topics (which can and may happen because of users' value systems that prefers a more unrestricted discussion), like those regarding nationality, race, religion, sexuality, gender, culture, economics and so on. If the developers are open to it and if moderation alone is not enough, and the situation becomes severe enough, I suggest a restricted section in the forums and the Discord where that form of discussion can take place, and where users must request moderator approval or some other form of verification to access them (or only be allowed to talk in this channel if they wish to almost exclusively resort to politically-charged conversations). I can think of one person who may be deserving of this status, someone who has rather recently brought up on the official Discord server nothing but how they assert that a country is likely and deserving of political and military might.

Edited by Rivy
  • Haha 1

I stay away from all official Discord Server. They are usually terrible places and you would need unreasonable high amounts of moderators just to keep them somewhat in check. This is usually not the case. I would also agree that WW3 got a lot of attention because of BF V and a lot of these people were pretty negative and in some cases downright toxic to begin with.

But eventually I disagree with a lot of things you are saying or implying.

People are complaining about real and existing issues in the game. They usually complain because they want positive change. You also always have a minority that will complain for the sake of it or because they think it is cool and edgy. I also think it is also a case because a lot of players interested in the game are a bit older and so they have a more experienced look on gaming and the industry. At the end of the day it is all about the industry . When you are younger, you are probably more open to get very emotional over a video game and that usually ends up in "white knighting" a developer or a product. That is unreasonable but somewhat normal. If you pay money for a game that turns out to be bad, it means you made a bad decision as a customer and the human psyche is not great at admitting that you made a mistake that also could have been avoided. 

This has not much (if anything to do) with the main audience being male, but as I said, I think it is somewhat age related.

The fact is that people had high hopes for the game and pretty much all of these hopes were shattered on the very first day of Early Access. So far the developers have been unable to regain the trust that was lost. I have been playing games for over 20 years and I also had some insights in the industry. The most important resource you have as a company that creates games (and this is now more important than ever) is trust and credibility.  It is way easier to switch to a different game. I would also argue that since the audience is older there is a different priority. 

When you are young you usually have not a lot of money, but you have a lot of time.

When you are older you usually have more money, but you don't have a lot of time.

So you a lot of older people have the ability to buy a full price game each month. So when WW3 landed flat on the face I moved on to play something different. Younger people will most likely have switched to F2P games like Fortnite or now APEX Legends. If both groups dislike a game, they will often not just stop playing it, they will also leave a negative review and also tell their peers about the bad experience they had. This is why trust is the most important resource. 

From my personal point of view The Devs did nothing to regain any of the lost trust. I would even suggest that it somewhat became worse, even after the terrible launch. If it is possible, I would advise the devs to stop selling the game on stores right now, give everyone the opportunity to get a refund and basically start over again and come back in 6-8 months with something that is actually playable and will not leave a bad impression. 

At the end of day I think you are overdramatizing a lot here. A company made bad business decisions and the customers are unhappy about it. It is now up the the company if they can salvage the situation or not. Personally I doubt it. 

Edited by Schlagerfreund

I want to expand on this topic further based on what I have found. Again, I find no fault with the developers - I commend their effort to create a high-quality game that is able to contend almost exactly with existing triple-A titles, without inheriting the greediness of the publishers of those games. My frustrations are more directed towards players off the battlefield. Should the reputation of first person shooters sink further if it turns out that such games appear dominated players who are not accepting of the rights of certain social minorities, such as that of LGBT individuals? Should the reputation of indie developed and published games be tarnished by being financially supported by fans who may vote to limit the freedoms of women and certain other social minorities in a civil society?

Should indie games be the next targets for bad press, and triple-A games be shilled for diversity while ignoring their greed? The users who uploaded the images may consider those a joke, but for certain wider audiences, this would drive them to rightfully further condemn the game for its community.

I want to keep playing this game since it's one of the few titles I can genuinely enjoy without spoonfeeding a company that listens only to money and completely disregards user suggestions and complaints. However, I do not wish to condone any of these repressive views regarding gender and sexuality, and I don't think I would like to continue playing this game if doing so would empower such individuals.

The purpose of indie games should be to empower consumers. It should be reprehensible to have an indie game be supported by individuals who want to enforce highly repressive norms on gender and sexuality.

I want to make this post before I make a similar comment externally from this forum.

• Haha 1

The memes have been removed and the user warned, I wasn't online that time, please feel free to report any NSFW content to moderators on Discord.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, weedtime said:

The memes have been removed and the user warned, I wasn't online that time, please feel free to report any NSFW content to moderators on Discord.

Thanks.

Thank you for trying to make this game more open to potential players, not just the typical audience of first person shooters that give the genre a bad reputation. Issues surrounding gender and sexuality are highly sensitive right now and shouldn't be a topic of jest, and graphic depictions of suicide as well.

Edited by Rivy
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rivy said:

Thank you for trying to make this game more open to potential players, not just the typical audience of first person shooters that give the genre a bad reputation. Issues surrounding gender and sexuality are highly sensitive right now and shouldn't be a topic of jest, and graphic depictions of suicide as well. 

I think we gonna introduce some reporting system on Discord, it will be easier to control all the channels, we will see.

Just now, weedtime said:

I think we gonna introduce some reporting system on Discord, it will be easier to control all the channels, we will see.

I can foresee some people complaining of censorship, but those memes they chose did touch on sensitive and political topics which this game shouldn't get too involved with if it wants to see more players. It's already getting a lot of flak for a variety of gameplay issues.

Best of luck to the devs out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rivy said:

I can foresee some people complaining of censorship, but those memes they chose did touch on sensitive and political topics which this game shouldn't get too involved with if it wants to see more players. It's already getting a lot of flak for a variety of gameplay issues.

As someone who is extremely anti-Censorship, my only hope is that the Developers give the Community the tools to wage their own battles (I.E Report options, ability to mute/ignore People, etc) and in turn stay out of the fray between members of the community unless certain circumstances call for action (E.G Realistic Threats, Giving out People's Personal Information, and etc are happening...) But, the moment the Developers start trying to dictate the social behaviors of everyone in the community outside of those very select few that are truly needing to be kept in check, is the moment I start siding with the People I normally rather not interact with, and speak out against the Developers.

Edited by Dunabar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dunabar said:

As someone who is extremely anti-Censorship, my only hope is that the Developers give the Community the tools to wage their own battles (I.E Report options, ability to mute/ignore People, etc) and in turn stay out of the fray between members of the community unless certain circumstances call for action (E.G Realistic Threats, Giving out People's Personal Information, and etc are happening...) But, the moment the Developers start trying to dictate the social behaviors of everyone in the community outside of those very select few that are truly needing to be kept in check, is the moment I start siding with the People I normally rather not interact with, and speak out against the Developers.

I would blame Discord for their weak blocking feature. It's practically useless.

Actually the community is pretty good I don’t see it as terrible. Specially compared to CS:GO R6S or COD sure those games are the worst of the worst bet then again maybe you and I have different definitions of a terrible community.

You disliked some of the memes people posted becuase they could “offend” (if I understood you correctly) some people but people that could get offended by meme shouldn’t probably be on the internet.

Can someone explain to me how someone gets offended by jokes? I can’t rap my head around it.

Jokes are jokes there not to be taken seriously nowadays when someone makes  a maybe semi controversial joke people jump all over them why? Why? I ask they made a joke. If you don’t like a joke look away or click away or plug your ears it’s a simple as that. 

But if a meme is one that’s more of a “ooooh noo” kinda of thing that’s kinda ok to restrict but censorship shouldn’t be that much.

Im not trying to start a fight I just thought I would like to give my opinion on this matter.

I was regretting posting here because to be honest I don’t think this topic needs to exist.  

Edited by MOBBOB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MOBBOB said:

Actually the community is pretty good I don’t see it as terrible. Specially compared to CS:GO R6S or COD sure those games are the worst of the worst bet then again maybe you and I have different definitions of a terrible community.

You disliked some of the memes people posted becuase they could “offend” (if I understood you correctly) some people but people that could get offended by meme shouldn’t probably be on the internet.

Can someone explain to me how someone gets offended by jokes? I can’t rap my head around it.

Jokes are jokes there not to be taken seriously nowadays when someone makes  a maybe semi controversial joke people jump all over them why? Why? I ask they made a joke. If you don’t like a joke look away or click away or plug your ears it’s a simple as that. 

But if a meme is one that’s more of a “ooooh noo” kinda of thing that’s kinda ok to restrict but censorship shouldn’t be that much.

Im not trying to start a fight I just thought I would like to give my opinion on this matter.

I was regretting posting here because to be honest I don’t think this topic needs to exist.  

I will reiterate that Discord's ineffective blocking feature could be to blame for this, but for a game that is already facing bad press from consumers online due to its many gameplay issues, it should probably avoid being in the crosshairs of other sources. The moderators have intended that users avoid discussing political issues, and gender could arguably be a sensitive political issue these days (even though in the eyes of certain people, it shouldn't be).

I would like this game to set an example for first person shooter communities, because it's already somewhat infamous for harbouring an audience with highly repressive views towards society. If this game wants more players, then it needs to be a little more open towards players and should avoid controversy on various subjects until it is big enough to handle them (i.e. greater than the 11k players who bought this game).

Personally, I don't want any more reasons to lose faith in humanity; I've decided to take a break from the community, from Discord and the game for this reason and to deal with IRL stuff.

Just a quick quote:

While playing World War3 and posting on its forums, discord, you will encounter thousands of other players who share different experiences and come from vastly different backgrounds. While certain language and images may not be offensive to you, consider the fact that that same language and images may have a completely different effect on someone else. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rivy said:

I will reiterate that Discord's ineffective blocking feature could be to blame for this, but for a game that is already facing bad press from consumers online due to its many gameplay issues, it should probably avoid being in the crosshairs of other sources. The moderators have intended that users avoid discussing political issues, and gender could arguably be a sensitive political issue these days (even though in the eyes of certain people, it shouldn't be).

Just block the individuals causing issues and never click on the Blocked Messages box. It's nothing super amazing, but it does the desired trick of blocking text being sent by those problematic individuals. I can't really see how Discord has any real blame in this when this feature is right there to be used.

I will agree with avoiding the crosshairs of other sources. But, the best way for them to do that is to avoid trying to play the role of the Authoritarian Developers like so many triple A Developers seem to be trying to do these days. By all means encourage civility in the community, but don't try to be the Digital Inquisition that actively seeks the wrong thinkers, Heretics, and etc to bring Judgement & Punishment upon. As the old saying goes; the road to hell is paved in good intentions.

4 hours ago, Rivy said:

I would like this game to set an example for first person shooter communities, because it's already somewhat infamous for harbouring an audience with highly repressive views towards society.

I would like this game to set a good example of one way to make a great game. The Community aspect just needs the encouragement of civility and letting People handle their own issues. By all means step in when People are realistically threatening People, threatening to release a person's personal information, and things like that. Add a report option, add an ignore feature, and whatever other tools for individuals to handle their own issues with other People. It's more effective, efficient, cheaper, and community friendly in the longer run of things than trying to play the wannabe Virtue Guardians.

4 hours ago, Rivy said:

If this game wants more players, then it needs to be a little more open towards players and should avoid controversy on various subjects until it is big enough to handle them (i.e. greater than the 11k players who bought this game).

I agree and know what the best way to do it is? Just focus on developing the game, give the community the tools to handle their own issues with other players, and only step in to take direct action against a paying customer for actual problematic matters like if the person is using scripts to cheat in game, is realistically threatening People, threatening to release someone's personal information, threatening to break into someone's home, or whatever nonsense like that. Other then that encourage civility and let the community handle itself.

Edited by Dunabar
  • Like 1