tynblpb

Machinegun's short barrel doesn't provide increased fire rate.

Posted (edited)

As I'm almost always running with MGs I tried to check, is there any difference between long and short barrels fire rate, since I can't hear any difference. Tested it with Pecheneg and MG5. Time to empty ammopool is equal for both long and short barrels and fire rate is default, as it is typed in weapon's info in customization menu. For Pecheneg for example it's 550 rpm(~30 secs to empty 2 full boxes of ammo +  included reload time 8.7sec).

Recoil reduction works for both long and short barrels. Grips also reduce recoil. Everything works except changing the firerate in accordance with what barrel u have chosen.

So, now there is no point in having short barrels on MGs as they are inferior to long barrels. The problem is actual for both 0.5 and 0.6 patches. Fix plz. Or don't, since I was always running with long barrel.?

Edited by tynblpb

I thought the barrel length has an impact on the damage the weapon make based on how far the target is i.e. longer barrel make more damage when the target is far...

The RPM Multiplier was "experimental" and has never worked proper since it was first implemented. Tho i have to say it's pretty hard to say if it's currently bugged or not. The thing is 0.9 and 1.05 are not exactly high values, we are talking about milliseconds here, so you wouldn't notice it - not even in a recording. Only if you compare 2 players directly shooting at the same time you might notice a difference. 

The Long barrel also does not work on certain weapons, but i was unable to find out which ones exactly or why. 

It's supposed to add or subtract 50 Meters from the effective range of a weapon. The MG5 for example is effective up to 105 meters, then the damage drops down. With a longer barrel it should be effective up to 155 meters, before a damage drop off. Since there is no accurate measuring system for us to test it's hard to tell, but i believe it does not work at all for the MG5. On the MSBS-B for example it's the other way around. I never felt like the short barrel did anything to the range, but the long barrel had a significant impact. The whole system is a bit messed up. At this point the weapons are "balanced" by adding more recoil, which is wrong in my opinion. 

But one thing is sure: The barrel length is not supposed to have a direct impact on the weapons damage, only on the weapon handling. Increasing the effective range does not change the values, it just shifts them around. At least that was the idea. 

Both of you are right and wrong at the same time. :D 

23 минуты назад, maddinii сказал:

The thing is 0.9 and 1.05 are not exactly high values, we are talking about milliseconds here, so you wouldn't notice it - not even in a recording

2 часа назад, tynblpb сказал:

(~30 secs to empty 2 full boxes of ammo +  included reload time 8.7sec).

I FIRED 200 ROUNDS WITH VIDEO RECORDING.  How do u think, will I distinguish the difference in times to empty 2 full boxes of ammo with 16% difference in fire rate, when I can later watch the video even frame by frame if needed ? On 0.5 I shot 400 rounds. There was no difference.

8 minutes ago, tynblpb said:

I FIRED 200 ROUNDS WITH VIDEO RECORDING.  How do u think, will I distinguish the difference in times to empty 2 full boxes of ammo with 16% difference in fire rate, when I can later watch the video even frame by frame if needed ? On 0.5 I shot 400 rounds. There was no difference.

Did i give you any reason to be unfriendly to me? If you want it like that okay. 

First of all. I highly doubt, that you watched every frame and if you did you have my respect. Regardless of that it wouldn't make a difference. 

Let's say you have a weapon (take the MSBS-B) which fires 622 RPM. Rounds per Minute. Okay. So that's more then 10 rounds per second. Rounds per second. Videos, games etc will render a picture and send it to your monitor, known as Frame. The time it takes to do that is the FPS - Frames per second. So let's say you have the best computer in the world, you record with 144 FPS. 

So we have: 

144 Frames per Second

10 Bullets per Second. 

That means you have one bullet every 14th - 15th Frame. 

If your statement was true, then you would have watched 3000 Frames FOR ONE WEAPON. 6000 For Long and short Barrel, 12.000 for both weapons. Did you do that? No? Now tell me again your result is accurate.  

13 минут назад, maddinii сказал:

Did i give you any reason to be unfriendly to me? If you want it like that okay. 

First of all. I highly doubt, that you watched every frame and if you did you have my respect. Regardless of that it wouldn't make a difference. 

Let's say you have a weapon (take the MSBS-B) which fires 622 RPM. Rounds per Minute. Okay. So that's more then 10 rounds per second. Rounds per second. Videos, games etc will render a picture and send it to your monitor, known as Frame. The time it takes to do that is the FPS - Frames per second. So let's say you have the best computer in the world, you record with 144 FPS. 

So we have: 

144 Frames per Second

10 Bullets per Second. 

That means you have one bullet every 14th - 15th Frame. 

If your statement was true, then you would have watched 3000 Frames FOR ONE WEAPON. 6000 For Long and short Barrel, 12.000 for both weapons. Did you do that? No? Now tell me again your result is accurate.  

Why should I be unfriendly? Because u can't understand 1 simple thing. I don't need to watch every single frame. Multipliers affect Rate per Minute. I need to see FIRST and LAST frames that show START and FINISH of me shooting 100 rounds out of MG ammobox. That's all. Do it twice for short and long barrels accordingly and compare resulted time. I will say it for the third time: times to shoot 100 rounds with long and short barrels are equal. What is so hard to understand here?

If RPM multipliers on barrels were working, then if I want to shoot 100 rounds with base 550RPM with 1.05 multiplier, it'll require (60*100p/(550*1.05) = 10.4secs for short barrel, and (60*100)/(550*0.9) = 12.1secs. They were EQUAL.

You never understood what i meant and you neither will nor want to. So this is the line for me.