Sign in to follow this  
Gutshot

This game needs way too much disk space!

Posted (edited)

100GB for PTE and Main in EA Status is too much and the reason why so less people are playing PTE. SSD diskspace is still limited and WW3 folders are poluted with useless files, jpgs etc
Are you devs planning on fixing these tremendous space issues or will it simply further blow up to 200gb+?

Can a mod pls move this topic to international/general section?

Edited by Gutshot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gutshot said:

100gb of diskspace for PTE and main... what are they thinking??!

Surely there could be improvements, but 40 GB's is in a normal range for a game these days. Also it's not the actual space on disk, if you compress it. Right Click your main hard drive C. go to properties and on the bottom check the boxes. It'll be only half the size then ;) 

• Like 1

They are two different builds. So two sets of assets.

On 5/10/2019 at 2:40 PM, maddinii said:

Surely there could be improvements, but 40 GB's is in a normal range for a game these days. Also it's not the actual space on disk, if you compress it. Right Click your main hard drive C. go to properties and on the bottom check the boxes. It'll be only half the size then ;) 

WTF..?

Don't ever compress your C : drive... OMG!  Or any working drive, unless they are storage for movies, songs, photos, etc...  

1TB ssd's are about $85 bucks....    

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, trig0tron said:

WTF..?

Don't ever compress your C : drive... OMG!  Or any working drive, unless they are storage for movies, songs, photos, etc...  

1TB ssd's are about $85 bucks....    

And the reason for that is what? 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, maddinii said:

And the reason for that is what? 

The reason for not compressing working drives..? ?

Because doing so on an active drive, uses so much computer resources & time for compressed drives. You do not got something for free and what you gain in hard drive space… you loose in performance. When there is absolutely no need, unless you are doing research and have tons of charts, docs, photos and other forms of media.

Better question is, why would you compress any drive..? 

Let alone one with a game on it...  because you forgot to move your movies, songs, pictures, documents to a storage drive..? Of which a 2TB hard drive starta at about $30 bucks and are great for compression & storage.

Edited by trig0tron
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, trig0tron said:

The reason for not compressing working drives..? ?

Because doing so on an active drive, uses so much computer resources & time for compressed drives. You do not got something for free and what you gain in hard drive space… you loose in performance. When there is absolutely no need, unless you are doing research and have tons of charts, docs, photos and other forms of media.

Better question is, why would you compress any drive..? 

Let alone one with a game on it...  because you forgot to move your movies, songs, pictures, documents to a storage drive..? Of which a 2TB hard drive starta at about $30 bucks and are great for compression & storage.

Did you actually research that or did you just made that up completely? There is no problem at all with compressing the Windows Drive. The extra resources used is minimal and mid to modern age CPU's can handle it with no problems at all. In other words: There is no reason to not do it. Especially when you have a fast drive already. 

• Like 1

Yeah this is a bit of an issue, I'm just lucky in that I have a large C drive but it is a big problem

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 3:47 PM, maddinii said:

Did you actually research that or did you just made that up completely? There is no problem at all with compressing the Windows Drive. The extra resources used is minimal and mid to modern age CPU's can handle it with no problems at all. In other words: There is no reason to not do it. Especially when you have a fast drive already. 

Yes, and you are a fool for compressing your working drives. Compression is only meant for storage drives. And those "extra resources" saturate your drives ability for top performance.

There is zero reason to compress any drive... why would you..? That was nice little trick when 1TB hard drives cost $200 bucks and there wasn't cloud storage for everything...  but your C : drive and your Games directory isn't storage, it is a live drive and should never be compressed. 

Again, why are you compressing a drive..? Not for performance, that is for sure...lol. 

I bet you have gaming issues and probably tons of stuttering & dropped frames. While your system idles as it is uncompressing data...

Window 10 Compression:

On Windows 10, the New Technology File System (NTFS) file system includes a lightweight compression feature designed to reduce the size of files and save space while retaining normal access without the need for manual decompression like when using different containers.

However, enabling compression can have an impact on performance. Even though you don't have to use additional steps, in the background, the feature still has to decompress and recompress files every time you access them, which is a process that requires additional resources.

While the feature can degrade performance, there are plenty of scenarios where compression can still make sense. For instance, it could be another way to free up space, even after deleting temporary files and unnecessary contents. Also, it could be a suitable solution to set up a drive to store files that you rarely use. Or you could save files that you use frequently but that don't significantly impact your device performance, some of which can include pictures and documents.

5 hours ago, trig0tron said:

Yes, and you are a fool for compressing your working drives. Compression is only meant for storage drives. And those "extra resources" saturate your drives ability for top performance.

There is zero reason to compress any drive... why would you..? That was nice little trick when 1TB hard drives cost $200 bucks and there wasn't cloud storage for everything...  but your C : drive and your Games directory isn't storage, it is a live drive and should never be compressed. 

Again, why are you compressing a drive..? Not for performance, that is for sure...lol. 

I bet you have gaming issues and probably tons of stuttering & dropped frames. While your system idles as it is uncompressing data...

Who are you to call me a fool? Okay normally i would ignore this and carry on but you do this with everybody all the time. You insult people, telling them their system is shit, their actions is shit and everything they generally do is shit. You might have not said it in those words, but it is what you mean. You are trying to prove me that you are in the right, when you are not. Compression is in no way meant for storage drives only. You just completely make this up from nowhere. "There is zero reason to compress any drive" - this is just so wrong. It can save you tons of disk space. Also "Cloud Storage" what has that got to do with it? But as you want: Cloud Storage doesn't mean you have no used disk space, as the only way to access a file is by having a local copy on your computer. Be it the temporary directory or a copy in your folders, you will always have a copy to access. Again this is a pile bullshit. 

I used to have issues with this game in particular due to optimization and outdated CPU - at that time i didn't have the compression. After upgrading to a newer CPU those problems were gone, then i compressed and it's still gone. So no i don't have any game issues and stutters + dropped frames wouldn't occur from compression anyways. You miss-understand how the system works. It will compress a file, use it and keep it open while it's being used. Meaning when you play a game it will un-compress those files exactly one time (when you start the game) and then keep them open, as they are being used - besides the point that half of the files don't get compressed. 

I know you are going to google this, pick out those bits that suit you and then post them here. Maybe this time read all of it, because most links will also tell you it's not a big deal when you have a modern CPU and a fast drive. This is in fact even documented on the windows central knowledge-base. 

Now after showing you, that you are wrong: Don't you ever call me a fool because you a to stupid to use google. 

Posted (edited)

Dude....

Don't make this about how you never been fathered, or how you can't take advice...  and have to scold another, for taking the time to educate you. I already explained it all to you in a previous post and you responded like a child with:   "Did you actually research that or did you just made that up completely?"  

When in fact, it is the truth and just about everyone knows you don't compress working drives... you just could accept the truth and learn. Now you are trying to justify your reasons when you don't need to, just to save face? 

I still don't think you understand and are grasping at weird straws, but don't compress your working drives. Period! 

Your anecdoatal evidence that you don't suffer from a compressed drive is foolish and is not science. Even Microsoft's own documentation (in quotes in my last post) tells you not to use it on working drive, only as a last resort until you can free up enough space, or move things off that drive. Storage drives are OK to compress, because those files are static. 

If you don't have enough space on working drives, then get more space, don't compress the drive and suffer degradation of performance.... lol. 

Also, your comment: "because most links will also tell you it's not a big deal when you have a modern CPU and a fast drive. This is in fact even documented on the windows central knowledge-base."

If you read my previous post, you will see Microsoft's own recommendations dude.. and you still typed your post out and still denying the freaking truth. Yes, you are suffering performance hits, even if you don't know it, or ignorantly deny it. It is not a big deal if you are an office worker and using documents & spreadsheets in an office environment, but not OK not gaming.

Additionally, you are not understanding me (language barrier), or you are hardware inept... I mentioned "the cloud", because everything in the cloud is compressed and decompressed as it comes & goes... because the cloud is for storage. 

Again....  I really don't know how/why this is so hard for you, but NEVER compress a working drive, or folder. Ask anyone who runs a database, but if you can't ask another I already provided what Microsoft says...  in the second paragraph I quoted for you (DID YOU EVEN READ IT?) 

OK, I will post it again so you can't argue with anyone over this ever again. (EVERYONE KNOWS THAT COMPRESSION DEGRADES PERFORMANCE, except you)

Window 10 Compression:

On Windows 10, the New Technology File System (NTFS) file system includes a lightweight compression feature designed to reduce the size of files and save space while retaining normal access without the need for manual decompression like when using different containers.

However, enabling compression can have an impact on performance. Even though you don't have to use additional steps, in the background, the feature still has to decompress and recompress files every time you access them, which is a process that requires additional resources.

While the feature can degrade performance, there are plenty of scenarios where compression can still make sense. For instance, it could be another way to free up space, even after deleting temporary files and unnecessary contents. Also, it could be a suitable solution to set up a drive to store files that you rarely use. Or you could save files that you use frequently but that don't significantly impact your device performance, some of which can include pictures and documents.

The last paragraph is Microsoft's own recommendations for compression^. Notice how they recommend using it for static data, such as media (Documents, Photos, Music, Movies, etc... 

Edited by trig0tron

devs, pls explain what's the purpose of this those pictures beneath map surface and how it helps game performance and doesnt effect game size?

20190527201553_1.jpg

20190527201557_1.jpg

20190527201600_1.jpg

20190527201656_1.jpg