Dunabar

5 Gadgets that could enhance WW3

Hey Folks.

Time to wrap up what was suppose to be a short mini series of post between Gadgets & Grenades. But, bad weather and life got in the way so it took longer than it should have. Oh well though, what can you do when Life or Weather just tells you no? Anyways not much of a intro really needed here, we will be covering Gadgets this go around, and I will be honest this was a bit of a research nightmare for multiple reasons. The main issues going into this was...

1. Is there enough information about to gadget provided to help with the Developers consider it and if not is the gadget self explainable enough to go without it?
  2. Is it different enough from what currently have in game or just more of the same?
  3. Can it be translated over to game in a way that it's enjoyable to use, or useful enough that players will consider using it?

So yeah, didn't get as far as I would have really liked. But, better than I thought I would ultimately. Enough about that though, you came for gadgets not a ramble, and like every post like this I've done before. Before we can talk about what could be added to the game, we must first see what is currently in the game.

Current Gadgets we have in-Game

Mini UGV

- A wheeled Reconnaissance Drone able to carry C4 explosive.

• HP: 100
  • Max Operational Range: 300
  • Max Altitude: 150m
  • Damage vs. Vehicles: 300
  • Damage vs. Infantry: 300
  • Blast Radius: 5m

Mini Drone

- A micro Reconnaissance Drone.

• HP: 50
  • Max Operational Range: 200
  • Max Altitude: 150m

Semtex C4

- A plastic, remotely detonated explosive material.

• Amount: 3
  • Regeneration: None
  • Damage vs. Infantry: 100
  • Damage vs. Vehicles: 250
  • Explosive Radius: 5m

Med Pack

- It contains enough Medical aid to fully heal two soldiers.

• Amount: 1
  • Auto Regen Time: 30s
  • Interaction time: 1s
  • Restore per use: 33%
  • Restore amount: 5 uses

Claymore Mine M18A1

- Anti-personnel mine triggered by movement.

Equipment Pack

- Restores Armor, Grenades, and Gadgets.

• Restore per use: 100%
  • Restore amount: 4 uses

Anti-Tank Mine

- Able to seriously damage any vehicle on the field.

• Amount: 2
  • Auto Regen Time: None
  • Damage vs. Infantry: None
  • Damage vs. Vehicles: 300
  • Range: 0.5m
  • Explosive Radius: 8m

Ammo Pack

- Able to restore up to 75 ammo per soldier on a single use.

• Restore per use: 10%
  • Restore amount: 10 uses

First Aid Kit

- Able to quickly restore health on the move.

• Auto Regen Time: 10s
  • Interaction time: 3s
  • Restore per use: 33%
  • Damage to infantry: 50
  • Range: 3m

And with that all out of the way it's time to get to the enjoyable aspect of this post. Luckily there was no uniformed stats here needed to be worked with and thus I don't need to compare stats between gadgets. So, lets get started!

Gadgets that could enhance WW3

#1. T-UGS

image.jpeg.bee3002d3a87405f07e9565a2bf87ffb.jpeg

- The T-UGS (Tactical Unattended Ground Sensor) is currently under development in the U.S Army's Future Combat System's Program and is used to monitor the movement of Personnel & Vehicles in a area the sensor has been deployed in. It's slightly smaller cousin, the U-UGS (Urban Unattended Ground Sensor) performs a similar role, only it's based in urban areas instead of the larger open spaces that the T-UGS performs best in.

-Source link

Stat suggestions

• Gadget type: Movement Detector+Passive Pulse
  • Health: 30
  • Deployment time: 6 seconds
  • Packup time: 6 seconds
  • Scan Radius:  10 Meters at 360 degrees
  • Detects: Ground Movement in it's Area of Effect
  • Scans every: 2.5 seconds
  • Destroyed on death: No
  • Max: 2 per Player
  • Effects Countered by: Jammer Strikes & Non-Movement.
  • Able to be destroyed by: Bullets, Explosions, Melee Attacks, etc etc...It's not a Tank.

- If added to the game, the T-UGS would be ideal for Defensive Players or Information Gathering Players that seek a passive alternative to the Mini UGV & Drone. However, where those two Drones can provide up to the second information on a opposing Player's exact location, the T-UGS scans should only pulse every 2,5 or more seconds to scan the area for any movement, revealing the position of anyone & anything moving within it's effect area. Now while this is very uncharacteristic of the T-UGS, it would serve to differ it from the Mini Drones. But, I would limit every player to just 2 of these deployed at a time per person, have the T-UGS do an audio beep or whatever when it scans, and would give it a deployment time (IE: Character goes through a Deployment Animation) to make it less ideal (though not impossible) for offensive usage. By limiting the amount of these T-UGS that an individual player can use, it would take a dedicated team to establish a passive movement detection network around the map or objective point.

But, what if the Player wanted something that could be both a hands off gadget, but also one they could actively use to watch for enemy players coming after them?...

#2. U-UGS

UUGS.png.5a6c746989ee42130c23861e8217bf37.png

(Left to right: U-UGS Motion Detector, U-UGS Gateway Device, and U-UGS Motion Detector/Camera)

- While at first glance the U-UGS (Urban Unattended Ground Sensor) doesn't look like anything all that impressive, the U-UGS serves the same general role as that of the T-UGS, except it's used in building clearing operations, in caves, sewers, tunnels, and generally any real close-quarter environment over that of the T-UGS which is more for open spaces like out in a field, close to a road, and etc. But, the U-UGS network is capable of taking field-of-view images of intruders in all light conditions and transmits images to the FCS (Future Combat Systems) Network where immediate recognition of human intruders should be achieved or by using the motion detector sensors only when imaging is not needed,

-Source link

Stat suggestions

• Gadget type: Movement Detector+Camera
  • Health: 20
  • Deployment time: 3 seconds
  • Packup time: 3 seconds
  • Detection Radius: 20 Meter sight line for automatic Motion Detection conformation.
  • Detects: Movement in it's Area of Effect
  • Scans every: 2.5 seconds
  • Max: 2 per player
  • Effects Countered by: Jammer Strikes
  • Able to be destroyed by: Bullets, Explosions, Melee Attacks, etc etc...they're not tanks.

- If added to the game, the U-UGS should come in the form of the U-UGS Motion Detector/Camera to serve as a dual-purpose gadget ideal for Defensive Players, or really crafty Offensive Players. When the Player isn't using the camera aspect of the U-UGS, it's automated Motion Detector system should mark the general direction of the opposing player(s) that wandered into it's direct line of sight, but will not mark the exact location of the player to the U-UGS's owner or their team. When the Player is using the camera aspect of the U-UGS, the camera should show a Black heat on White background live-feed of the area. Overall this makes the U-UGS a bridge between the Mini Drone & T-TUGS (if that is added alongside the U-UGS.)

But, what if the Player wanted something that was adaptable and could not only be used as an anti-gadget device, but could also stop enemy players from spawning on each other when they're within it's area of effect?

#3. Low-Frequency Signal Jammer

image.thumb.jpeg.b309062cab7ec91fa164adddb84bdb2b.jpeg

(This particular Signal Jammer can be fitted on someone's Arm)

- Signal Jammers come in various sizes, makes, models, and can be found in the hands of Civilians, Law Enforcement, & Military personnel across the world. In a Military application, signal jammers are used in various scenarios such as interrupting if not outright blocking communication of the opposition, blocking wireless signals to prevent someone from setting off a bomb, preventing low flying drones from operating in a area, and much more depending on the device that is in use.

Stat suggestions

• Gadget type: Portable Jammer
  • Jamming Range: 8 meters
  • Jamming duration: Unlimited
  • Jams: Semtex C4, Mini Drone, Mini UGV, U-UGS (If added also), T-UGS (If added also), and Infiltration Beacon (Next on this list and if Added).
  • Does not Jam: Claymores, Quadrocopter Drone, Loitering Ammo Drone, UAV Drones, Helicopter Drone, Levithan Drone, BattleBot Drone, or MRAP Spawn.
  • Max: 1 per player
  • Able to be destroyed by: Bullets, Explosions, Melee Attacks, etc etc...they're not tanks.

- If added to the game, the Signal Jammer would be an adaptable gadget for both Offensive & Defensive Players. While it would not be able to Jam larger Drones and Claymores, the Low-Frequency Jammer would level the playing field between both an Attacking Squad & Defending Squad by removing some of the electronic gadgets from the engagement in small sections of an objective point and would neutralize the opposing force from being able to spawn on their allies within that small area of influence. To keep the gadget from overshadowing the larger Jammer Strikes, a small Jamming range is an absolute must and with it's addition it would make a great counter-gadget for the portable Mini UGV & Drone. However, the Low-Frequency Signal Jammer should make some sort of noise to indicate it's active presence.

But, what if the Player wants something to help their Squad maintain pressure on an objective even if the entire squad was wiped out?..

#4. Infiltration Beacon

image.thumb.jpeg.3af412ca3dcfb54b152497ced03dc8fb.jpegimage.jpeg.432baa2d2a33c06cabbc66577a9c6a3d.jpeg

- Not going to lie, straight up ripping this concept out of Battlefield but putting my own spin on it's concept for WW3 as an alternative suggestion to the current Squad Spawn System.

Stat suggestions

• Gadget type: Portable Spawn Device
  • Deployment time: 6 seconds
  • Packup time: 6 seconds
  • Max: 1 per player
  • Limitations: Cannot be placed within 59 Meters of an objective Point and cannot be placed within 8 meters of another Infiltration Beacon.

- If added to the game, the Infiltration Beacon should replace the Squad Leader Spawning directly on their Squadmates aspect of the Squad Spawn System, thus making the only spawn options the Deployment Zone, Objective Points, MRAP, Squad Leader, and this thing. Doing this should make the spawning in the game a bit more tolerable, it would enhance the Squad Leader role to make it more meaningful, and would alleviate some of the chaotic gameplay currently experienced when attacking/Defending objective points. While the beacon is active it should generate radio chatter to give away it's presence to any opposing player seeking to destroy it.

But, what if the Player wanted something that was a cross between a Landmine and Semtex C4?...

#5. M4 SLAM

image.jpeg.cc1ce07b9c30a955f691d8d621109f24.jpegimage.jpeg.aaa5b03f11568a13bae72dc87c29a2eb.jpeg

(Left to right: M2 SLAM and the EFP (Explosively Formed Penetrator) in visual form)

- The Selectable Lightweight Attack Munition or SLAM is a multi-purpose landmine,  It has a passive infrared sensor , and a magnetic influence sensor which allow it to be used as a Demolition munition, off-route mine, or full width belly attack mine. The device is compact, weight of only 1kg, and was intended to be used against APCs, parked Aircraft, wheeled or tracked Vehicles, and when it's activated it generates a Copper Explosively Formed Penetrator which can penetrate 40mm armor of a range of up to 8 meters. The SLAM comes in three variants; M2, M3, and M4 with the M4 mainly being used in units designated as light, airborne, air assault, crisis response, rapid deployment, and etc etc...

-Source Link

Stat suggestions

• Gadget type: Multi-purpose landmine
  • Max carry amount: 2
  • Auto Regen Time: None
  • Damage vs. Infantry: 300
  • Damage vs. Vehicles: 200
  • Automatic Activation range: 0-8m
  • Range: 30m
  • Explosive Radius: 4m
  • Max Deployment: 4 per player
  • Able to be supplied from: Equipment Pack.

- If added to the game, the M4 SLAM should be a gadget best utilized by unconventional minded players and a gadget that breaks the current game mold a little bit.

First the gadget should be able to be detonated in one of three ways.

1. Automatic Detonation - This only happens when a Vehicle drives within 8 meters of the M4 SLAM.
  2. Player Detonation - Much like Semtex C4, the Player is given a detonator to set off the M4 SLAM as they see fit.
  3. Anti-Tamper Detonation - Unlike Landmines that can be 'Neutralized' by an opposing player walking up and hitting F on it. The M4 SLAM should instead detonate, taking out the player that was tampering with it, and anyone & anything directly behind them short of a heavily armored Vehicle or a thick wall. Thus the safest way to get rid of a SLAM is to just shoot it, melee it, and almost any other way possible.

The gadget should also be able to be placed on various surfaces such as roads, a wall, ceilings, the side of vehicles, containers, doors, trees, rocks, and etc etc... The weapon was designed for unconventional uses, so limiting it's deployment areas would be very uncharacteristic of it. The user just needs to be smart about it's placement to ensure they get the maximum amount of effectiveness out of it. However, to keep the M4 SLAM from overshadowing the Landmine, it should take two or more direct shots to unprotected sections of the vehicle from multiple M4 SLAMS in order to destroy either a IFV, AFV, or MBT.

But it's time to bring this post to an end and overall this post came out better than what I thought it would. Maybe not in terms of structure, but it's goal to suggest different gadgets was a success in my mind. I'm sure everyone who read this got a very noticeable "In Battlefield" feeling from this post and that wasn't something that could entirely be helped. Some stuff cannot be translated over to game very well, some stuff would just be more of the same, and etc. I did have one extra gadget I was going to suggest in this post, but it's useless to have it without what it was designed in mind to work with so there was no point in adding it in this post.

I will be starting my "Strikes that could enhance WW3" series of posts later this week and here is your hint for what the first post will be covering. Till then though...

image.thumb.jpeg.b00d827b6fb816a19d939eb01e9c0364.jpeg

Have a good one folks!

Links to my other Individual Suggestion Posts & Suggestion Series posts

Guns that could enhance WW3 series

Strikes that could enhance WW3 series

Individual or Mini Series Suggestions post

Edited by Dunabar
Updated Links list
  • Like 2

I've seen M93 Hornet mine in gadget menu when playing PTE not long ago.

That's really cool, the hornet land mine is similar in design to the slam as it has a shaped charge that projects into a bent metal plate causing the platter effect which bends the plate into a ball and sends it at a high speed in the direction of the charge. The main difference between the two is that the slam has a fixed angle of detection and detonation but the hornet has an omnidirectional range that spans out much further than the slam.

I really dig the idea of the two radar devices and the trade-off between the two is interesting. The jammer could potentially be a cool gadget for "unconventional" people like you said, for example, if the jammer was used as a decoy to lure in enemies or make them check the opposite direction of you when entering a room, but in the straight forward use it is used to jam other gadgets in a 10 meter range. I think that is slightly redundant as a small jammer is only 500 bp right? Lastly the infiltration beacon would be really cool if not for the MSP. I also thought that spawn beacons like the ones in battlefield 4 would be the logical next step to fixing spawning but with the MSP the beacon would just discredit that really cool idea. I've already had a few really cool fire fights where my team was pushed out of the objective the MSP was close to and pushed all the way to the MSP where we had a "final stand."

3 hours ago, tynblpb said:

I've seen M93 Hornet mine in gadget menu when playing PTE not long ago.

From what I have read this thing sounds like it inspired the IMS or Intelligent Munitions System. So it could very well be that the M93 Hornet Mine is in planning as a new gadget to come, or it's a placeholder name to bring about the IMS as a new Strike option. We've seen items on the PTE to suggest certain weapons or things to come in the game that have yet to manifest in the live game such as the P90, MP7, and etc. But, either way it would be both cool & different from what we currently have in the game.

image.jpeg.d201344ff738e6ff83acf6be8fe50973.jpeg

7 hours ago, NeoOrNeon said:

I really dig the idea of the two radar devices and the trade-off between the two is interesting.

Yeah I wanted to find some alternative options to the Mini UGV and Drone that didn't roll around, blow up or fly around, then I remembered the T-UGS, and found the U-UGS in the process. So it all worked out perfectly. ?

The jammer could potentially be a cool gadget for "unconventional" people like you said, for example, if the jammer was used as a decoy to lure in enemies or make them check the opposite direction of you when entering a room, but in the straight forward use it is used to jam other gadgets in a 10 meter range. I think that is slightly redundant as a small jammer is only 500 bp right?

The Reaper Jammer is-

• BP cost of 500
  • Continuous Jamming
  • Cooldown of 60 seconds
  • 50 meter Jam range
  • Jamming Duration of 30 seconds
  • 200 health
  • 500m altitude

My Low-Frequency Signal Jammer (if added exactly as is recommend) would compare like this to the Reaper Jammer.

• Free to use as it's a Gadget.
  • Continuous Jamming.
  • Unlimited cooldown
  • 10 meter Jamming Range
  • Unlimited Jamming duration
  • 20 health
  • Ground Target
  • Can't Jam the Quadrocopter Drone, Loitering Ammo Drone, UAV Drones, Helicopter Drone, Levithan Drone, BattleBot Drone, or MRAP Spawn.
  • Takes up a slot that could have been a Medical Bag, Ammo Bag, Equipment Bag, or First Aid Kit.

So the Low-Frequency Signal Jammer wouldn't really be redundant, just a weaker, free alternative like the Mini Drone is when compared to the Red Eye or other Strike Scan UAVs. ?

Lastly the infiltration beacon would be really cool if not for the MSP. I also thought that spawn beacons like the ones in battlefield 4 would be the logical next step to fixing spawning but with the MSP the beacon would just discredit that really cool idea. I've already had a few really cool fire fights where my team was pushed out of the objective the MSP was close to and pushed all the way to the MSP where we had a "final stand."

The point of the Infiltration Beacon is not to replace the MSP though, but replace the current Squad Leader spawning on their allies system (I know my post said something else, but I corrected what was a derp on my part)

MSP

• Acts as a Spawn Point
  • Alternative Spawn for the Team
  • Slow but Mobile
  • Heavily Armored
  • Has a Mounted Weapon for Defense
  • Can be positioned inside an Objective Point
  • Hard to hide on most maps
  • Can only have 1 for the whole Team
  • Makes a lot of noise when moving
  • Generates Heat
  • Has a hard time getting inside of most buildings
  • Can only be at one location at a time
  • Takes time to Respawn if Destroyed

Infiltration Beacon

• Acts as a Spawn Point
  • Alternative Spawn for the Squad
  • Deployable but not as easy to move around the map
  • Cannot take a hit
  • Doesn't have any defenses
  • Cannot be positioned inside an Objective Point
  • Easy to hide on most maps
  • Whole Team can have 1 for each Player
  • Doesn't make any noise when packed up
  • Doesn't generate Heat
  • Can be stashed inside a building
  • A Squad can establish multi-Infiltration Beacons around the map
  • Just needs an Equipment Bag to be replaced

Now the Infiltration Beacon may not be as useful on some maps as it would be on others, but it still offers that alternative gameplay option, and alleviates some of that bad chaotic gameplay being experienced with the Squad System currently, and it enhances the role of the Squad Leader to also serve as a Soft Spawn Beacon as well.

Edited by Dunabar

I think we just need a system similar to the "in combat" system bf4 has. You shouldn't be able to spawn on a squad mate who is being suppressed or shot at.

19 hours ago, NeoOrNeon said:

I think we just need a system similar to the "in combat" system bf4 has. You shouldn't be able to spawn on a squad mate who is being suppressed or shot at.

That or go a step further and make it where the Players cannot spawn on their Squad Leader or fellow Squadmates if a enemy is close by like...10-20 meters?

Edited by Dunabar
  • Like 1

while these ideas are pretty cool, they are smaller scale BP Strikes. Some of wich are a bit op, like the first one. That's essentially a free radar, but on a small scale. Even if it's only 40 meters in diameter

3 hours ago, Matt_dOvale said:

while these ideas are pretty cool, they are smaller scale BP Strikes. Some of wich are a bit op, like the first one. That's essentially a free radar, but on a small scale. Even if it's only 40 meters in diameter

Ultimately it's up to the Developers to add them and figure out how to best balance them once data numbers are presented. What at first glance might be overpowered, might actually be fairly well balanced, and vice versa.  As I have stated in all my posts - I cannot test these numbers to prove if they're overpowered or underpowered. At best, I'm making educated guesses. But, in the end the gadgets need to be tempting enough to get players to at least consider taking one of them over the Medical, Ammo, or Equipment bags. Though looking back 20 meters actually was a bit bigger than I thought it was, so I've edited the post to reduce the scan range of the T-UGS, as well as modified the U-UGS & Jammer.