Sign in to follow this  
Hoak

THE MAKE MORE MONEY THREAD!

Hopefully The Farm 51 is as good (or better) at monetizing WW 3 as they are at art asset development and game design. Unfortunately, most indie Developers are not, even many over financed 'AAA' game Publishers fumble badly at monetizing a game that is otherwise very successful, either by asset stripping the game's design to 'monetize everything' turning it into a parade float trash arcade shopping mall of 'content' for sale that ends up being a substitute for or even obviating fun game design, some ridiculous over-priced subscription model, or, don't ask for enough money from the game's audience to keep things going.

When I look at World War 3's road map, even if the release target features were curtailed by 40% -- the game is way under priced! The number of man hours in development to get there is just too high, or the talent too under paid.  Very few game fans have a clue how difficult and time consuming game development is, how under paid Developers are, and those that feel WW 3 is expensive only do so because they're simply ignorant and selfishly base their assumptions on an early access work in progress, with no clue what work-a-day development on a game like this costs and how quickly unsustainable that can become if revenue slides.

Some of the audience get it, others are starting to get a clue; there is incredible talent behind this game, progress might not be as fast as some would wish, but it's real, the game is solid, most importantly fun, and well on track to being something very impressive.  With that in mind, intellectual honesty requires that everyone acknowledge these guys gotta get paid to keep doing it but some revenue models are more appealing then others, some are out-right discouraging, and others will simply not bring in enough money to sustain a game like World War 3's development. With all that in mind, it might be productive for people to solicit what they like or don't mind paying for, and what they do.

I for one don't mind paying for expansions or in game content like uniforms or even game features that aren't over powering and can lead to 'pay to win' doubt.  In that WW 3 is multi-player only, expansions that are map based will segregate the audience between those that bought and those that did not -- which can hurt a game's play share. However, there have been a lot of game marketing studies that corroborate Gamers like game franchises that continue familiar game metrics and expand them...

Directions TF51 could take this that would get my money without hesitation:

·  in-game content for sale as an alternative of ranking into them (uniforms, weapons, attachments, insignia etc.)
·  feature content for sale (custom game UI, music, voice commands, and other features and content that don't effect game-play)
·  dedicated server license (this could require a subscription fee)

Personally I'd like to see package 'Supporter's Editions' deals on buying all content for the game, and think the price should be steep -- because I want to support TF51 and this game having a future, and thing others that do should have that opportunity too! It would also be nice to see World War 3 for sale on the Epic Game Store, I'd buy it there a second time just to have it handy, this would also expose Unreal Engine fans to the game, and it would also have 'first mover' status on that platform being the first realism game there which would help garner attention and market share. On all platforms it's sold on it might be productive to have and package deals where if you buy 4, 5, or 10 copies for friends you get a small discount, and same way with 'Supporter's Editions' that get all the content.

Lastly, I hope The Farm 51 is able to make enough money to take World War 3 to the franchise level, and offer full content expansions or sequels. I'd love to see a multi-player Special Operations asymmetrical warfare game that was lower tempo, incorporated stealth, but played on the scale of WW3.  In the mean time I hope more fans chime in here, beat the drum for this game in other venues, make fan sites, and help make The Farm 51 and WW3 a sustainable franchise.

Edited by Hoak

I also agree the game is underpriced, when I saw that it was only 28 dollars (USD) and even more so when I saw they put it on a 40% sale a few days ago I thought to myself that for that price it's a steal. On the topic of monetizing other parts of the game I think there should be no gameplay advantages to spending money on these transactions for example cosmetics and camoes can be monetized so long as there were still other "free" choices, free being in game currency only. I would pay for cosmetics for my soldier if they we're cool enough but I don't know if that alone would be enough.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NeoOrNeon said:

I would pay for cosmetics for my soldier if they we're cool enough but I don't know if that alone would be enough. 

Well most of the content in the game is more than 'cool enough' for me.  The idea of having a pay option is as much to offer people a non-destructive means to support the game as it would be for the impatient to 'have it now'.

Personally I'm usually indifferent to the cosmetic stuff as long as it's congruent and realistic, and don't mind a bit of a grind to get to a game's content -- but I'd be more than willing to pay more to get it and support this game and its developer!  Going this rout also offers some nice marketing and advertising opportunity to boost awareness and steady the revenue stream from the game .

Were TF51 to start offering clown costumes, man thongs, and weapon skins that look like bad shelf paper from some going out of business sale from a home repair store -- I'd be very disappointed and would instead be willing to pay money for an option to block seeing such histrionic crap.

Siege is a poster child example that looked fairly realistic and was somewhat immersive when it was new (and had more bugs then WW 3 ever has), now that game is a screaming eye sore that looks like cross between a Mardi Gras and Gay Pride parade that has nothing to do with tactical realism -- a revenue model I sincerely hope TF51 does not pursue.

Edited by Hoak

I'm right there with you buddy and I'm pretty sure F51 is to. Looking at what they have given us in the way of cosmetics they mocked real plate carriers and uniforms which is dope. There are some skins that are a little to much in my opinion but still tame in comparison to other games.

Sign in to follow this